Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/20 13:25:53 (permalink)

I'm Flabbergasted!

Gentlemen,
Just this weekend I got off the phone with a friend of mine and he was complaining about all the activity at his "camp". Seems there are always a bunch of fishermen walking below his camp. After more questioning I discovered that his camp is located on the salmon river, by Pulaski ? ? ? ? My friend doesn't fish and nobody in his family fishes so he doesn't understand the lure of the salminoids. But he was complaining to me about all the mess and the trash left along the river on his property? ? ? I'm stunned because: 1. If I had know he had a camp on the SR, I would have been there "helping" him enjoy it. 2. Just how big a mess can people be making along the creek to get him upset? 3. He doesn't fish!
Now it's been years sice I was on the SR but I'd like to pass on a piece of advice to all who fish up there. Be careful what you do and what you leave because my friend is thinking about posting his piece of the river. Apparently he owns about 200 yds of the creek in his area and it's pretty well fished. I'm going to try to find out exactly where it is and get him to not post it. But please help make that possible. Respect the property owners.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

6 Replies Related Threads

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/20 14:18:15 (permalink)
    No excuse for the littering, period.

As far as your friend's ability to postthe land and remove access, it depends on the exact location of his camp which is unclear in your inital post - first you stated that he owns property on the SR, then you mention creek. 

Which is it?

A majority of the SR shoreline from Pulaski up to the Lower Res has permanent Conservation easements which allow public access along the river.
    Public access is also granted along Trout Brook from it's mouth to the trailhead along County Route 48.

In your post you mentioned that the fishermen are walking below his camp. There is a very high probability that they are within their rights to do so.

Once again, the littering is inexcuseable, but your friend may be SOL. 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/20 14:40:11 (permalink)
    I'd volunteer to help patrol that area for unsavory litterbugs...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/20 15:01:58 (permalink)
    A sign that says, "Litter leads to Posting" may alleviate a lot of the problem.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/20 16:55:44 (permalink)
    it's all in the deed... have your frined check his deed. if there is no conservation or walking easement he can post it. you know, all it takes is few a-holes to ruin it for everyone. if he ends up being able to post it and does actually post it. i don't blame him. enough is enough....
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/20 19:34:11 (permalink)
    he can post either way- most easments are for fishing along the river. Access across the property can still be restricted.

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: I'm Flabbergasted! 2010/09/21 06:32:11 (permalink)
    i for one take a trash bag with me it folds up small and easy to carry when we take a break my brothers and i pick up around the area its not our thrash but it is our fishing area. i have seen other guys bring there trash over and ask to put in our bag. just remember to take the full bag with you.
    Jump to: