Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/19 19:44:01 (permalink)

Sunday the 19th deer ===

One of three in our pasture =

11 total in this farm field on the way home from work, huntable property.. posted by will give pernmission to most..

66 Replies Related Threads

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/19 20:01:55 (permalink)
    Count your blessings. I haven't seen a deer in 5C in the past month. They haven't bothered my garden all summer and they aren't eating my apples or chestnuts.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 07:43:46 (permalink)
    deerfly - how many deer sightings when hunting have you averaged over the last .. say.. 3-4 years. Maybe how many per 5 or 10 hours of hunting?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 07:45:01 (permalink)
    And how many would you find an acceptable number ?

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 11:11:30 (permalink)
    I can answer that question honestly. I went back and looked at my logs (which I keep detailed records on my hunts).

In WMU 1A I averaged my sightings for the past 3 years. For every 10 hours hunted, on average I saw 15 deer.

In WMU 2F for every 10 hours hunted my average is 0.5 deer.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 15:05:45 (permalink)
    I guess MM, if the one was a buck you saw in 20 hours of hunting, some would say it was "good hunting"...WF.[ not me]
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 18:09:44 (permalink)
    I don't keep a log so I can't give you an accurate number of the deer I see in 5 or 10 hours of hunting, but I do know that in 2008 I hunted 9 days during rifle and saw a total of 5 deer and most of them were fawns. Although I got a buck last year it was the only deer I saw the first day of rifle and I didn't have an opportunity to harvest an adult doe during the rest of the season. Over the past 3 or 4 years I'd say I was averaging 10 deer total during rifle season.

I really don't have a specific number of deer sightings that would be acceptable. All I want is a reasonable expectation of seeing a legal deer while on stand and that no longer exists in our area. During archery you can sit day after day on prime crossings and not see a deer and during the off season I check for tracks at those crossings and quite often there are only one or two sets of tracks in a week. When there is so little activity in the off season , you can be sure there will be even less during the hunting season. I am at a point where I hunt deer because it is what I have been doing for 54 years, not because I believe I have a reasonable chance of harvesting a deer. I probably would have quit by now if my wife ,sister and sister -in-law didn't hunt with me. Now I have my 13 yr. old niece in our group so I won't be carrying a weapon when I hunt with her or driving for the other members in our group.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 18:54:29 (permalink)
    huntable property for dr trout all others say out
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/20 21:22:03 (permalink)
    huntable property for dr trout all others say out

I have three properties that I am allowed to hunt, that I MIGHT be one of a few who have permission.. but they are also not large lots..

the others -- I know several folks who have asked and were permitted to hunt there.. I have even suggested to some to ask at certain places that are posted..

keep in mine the one place that is posted and that I am not allowed to hunt is a NEIGHBOR !!!!!
    can't wait for the day he needs a "favor"
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/21 11:30:48
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 08:26:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

I don't keep a log so I can't give you an accurate number of the deer I see in 5 or 10 hours of hunting, but I do know that in 2008 I hunted 9 days during rifle and saw a total of 5 deer and most of them were fawns. Although I got a buck last year it was the only deer I saw the first day of rifle and I didn't have an opportunity to harvest an adult doe during the rest of the season. Over the past 3 or 4 years I'd say I was averaging 10 deer total during rifle season.

I really don't have a specific number of deer sightings that would be acceptable. All I want is a reasonable expectation of seeing a legal deer while on stand and that no longer exists in our area. During archery you can sit day after day on prime crossings and not see a deer and during the off season I check for tracks at those crossings and quite often there are only one or two sets of tracks in a week. When there is so little activity in the off season , you can be sure there will be even less during the hunting season. I am at a point where I hunt deer because it is what I have been doing for 54 years, not because I believe I have a reasonable chance of harvesting a deer. I probably would have quit by now if my wife ,sister and sister -in-law didn't hunt with me. Now I have my 13 yr. old niece in our group so I won't be carrying a weapon when I hunt with her or driving for the other members in our group.

That's pretty bad. I'd be relocating. I understand it's your property but I'd start questioning my time spent there.

I average one deer every four hours. It gets better as end of October nears. I'd like to get it to one every two hours. With the amount of acorns this year, the size of the area, and the lack of deer, not sure that's possible.

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 09:51:18 (permalink)
    I saw 15 in 2 1/2 hours on Saturday...
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 10:02:06 (permalink)
    Looking back on last archery season I saw about 4 deer per sit on average. Of those deer, I think I saw 12 different bucks. I hunted a couple fridays and saturdays.

During rifle I hunted on the first day and the first friday. I saw roughly 50 deer and 8 bucks in that time span, one of which I ended up killing.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 10:03:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

Any of them take a dirt nap ?

I may get out on Saturday evening if it's not too warm.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/09/21 10:04:10
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 11:32:59 (permalink)
    As I reported before.. I average a 4 hour hunt and see 1 deer per hour ...
    which to me is pretty good... considering I am not "deep in the woods"..
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 12:38:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: deerfly

That's pretty bad. I'd be relocating. I understand it's your property but I'd start questioning my time spent there.

I average one deer every four hours. It gets better as end of October nears. I'd like to get it to one every two hours. With the amount of acorns this year, the size of the area, and the lack of deer, not sure that's possible.

I am past the point of being willing to drive an hour or two in search of better hunting. When I decide it is not worth the time and effort in our area I will quit, along with the rest of the members of our group and the PGC can find someone else to buy the tags and manage the herd.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/21 13:12:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: griffon

Any of them take a dirt nap ?

I may get out on Saturday evening if it's not too warm.

Yeah, one of the bigger does did not make it out of the hole.  Hellraiser did it's job and she went about 30 yards.  I posted a pic in one of the below threads...
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/22 20:59:06 (permalink)
    off your back pourch. that's nice
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/22 21:25:16 (permalink)
    off your back pourch. that's nice

HUH ??????????????
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 08:24:18 (permalink)
    I think Peacy is asking what your average sighting is when you don't count the deer you spend all summer feeding and conditioning to come to your back yard where you can shoot them. Not everyone would consider your method hunting or representive of actual averages under normal hunting conditions.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 10:59:46 (permalink)

The figures I quoted come from my journals since 2002. The first five of those years include my archery hunting and that was rarely done "here at home" so those averages are for hunting in this area of 2F.. not just my back yard..

I usually hunt a total of about 5 places during rifle season now ... and when I archery hunted I had about 6 other places... so the deer per hour comes from about 11 different places yearly.. and they changed from year to year too. since living here I'll bet I have hunted over 400 different spots at one time or another..

Heck I counted 34 deer coming from work last night and that drive took 11 minutes... and included private property (open) Clear Creek State Forest, SGL#54 and posted property.. half those were on grounds open for hunting..

the 5-8 I feed during the winter really does not come into play, as I mentioned the other day in a field 400 yards away there were 13 one night last week and "my 5-8" are not part of those...

This thread started with a photo of 11 in one field that is open with permisson ,except to the Amish....

sorry you choose to think because I feed 5-8 deer all winter that that is what I am basing my "Lots of deer around this area" on... it's not .... it's what I see and what I hear about the number of deer in this area..

BTW.. what's the difference in baiting a spot for cameras and then hunting that area... sounds the same as feeding deer in the winter and then hunting that area to me ?????

Not everyone would consider your method hunting

So if I plant my pasture in corn or make it a food plot then hunt here you do not consider that hunting ?????? interesting...

so feeding deer from Xmas until May Day then hunting in the general area (1/4 mile away)6 months later is not hunting ????? interesting...

or baiting deer for pictures and then hunting in that area where a nice buck was showing up is not hunting ???? interesting..

I wonder what the guys who are posting trail cameras pictures think of that statement ????

I will not believe for 1 minute many of them will not be hunting the area a nice buck showed up on camera at ... I have even heard some say they "targeted" a particular buck that showed up... but you say that is not hunting ??? interesting ...

just what do you call hunting... ???

going to an area that has no food to attract deer... deer have not been fed or baited --
    you have no prior knowledge on if there are deer there or not .. if that's hunting -- no wonder so many are complaining about no deer...........

Not everyone would consider your method hunting or representive of actual averages under normal hunting conditions.

I think the words "somewhat jealous" comes into play more that what I am doing is not hunting... I am sure some wished they were as blessed as I have been in being able to live , hunt, and fish in an area like where I live....
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 11:23:54 (permalink)
    Doc-- you better go back over your posts the last five years. By your own statements you take at least one deer within a couple hundred yards of your house every year. You also admit you have named the deer you have taken. You also have talked about how you seldom hunt more than a few times for a few hours each year before filling your tags. You might want to revisit that 400 different places again. Selective memory perhaps?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 15:43:02 (permalink)
    I'm guessing at the 400... OF COURSE.. but I bet I'm not off by many either way..

for example in 2003 (just a random selected year) I hunted 12 different locations...
    and only 2 of those were places I hunted last year and naturally in the hemlocks was one of them...

so that's about 10 different places a year and I started hunting here in 1960 .... last years I used only 5 places... but that was due to weather more than anything esle.. I was having a hard time draging myself out in the cold after filling 2 tags..

so I feel safe in saying 400.... heck when my friend came from Harrisburg I showed him about 20 places to hunt at clear creek (DMAP 313) in just three hours and that was only about 30% the places I have hunted there over the years and he selected 4 or five to scout the next day and saw deer at them....

but if you want to count SGL#54 as one.. no matter where I go there, and clear creek is just one... and SGL#44 is just one and the ANF is just one... and behind my house is just one then maybe it is not 400.... but if I hunt here today and move a half mile away tommorrow I call that two different places...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/23 15:47:57
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 15:54:01 (permalink)
    So you have 400 spots to hunt that are 1/2 mile apart..
    For an old timer you sure do get around...

OUt of that kind of square mileage you should at least accidentaly be able to kill a legal buck..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 16:50:51 (permalink)
    I forgot to say most are only a couple hundred yards from the road... thus not the best buck spots...

I'm hoping this will be the year... if not a crossbow for sure for next year !!!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/23 16:52:35
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 17:01:21 (permalink)
    Doc, some of my "buckiest" spots are in close proximity to a road. I have learned that in certain areas the deer use the nasty thickets next to the road to escape pressure. Smart little critters huh?

But in all fairness the tracts I hunt are much smaller than the ones you seem to frequent.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 17:03:11 (permalink)
    You said you have hunted over 400 places since moving there but you have also posted the following that suggests either you are mis-remembering or are one hell of an outlaw.

BUT fact is ...

I moved here in 1987 and I have harvested a total of 28 deer here in Polk or Spring Creek Townships..
    18 of my them in "the hemlock grove" a couple hundred yards behind the house and BEEN HOME by noon...
    thus the 11:00 o"clock stuff...

I have harvested 5 does on the first day in the hemlocks out of the past 7 years (02-09) I was able to hunt there .. and last year I promised to passed on does the first day while in there... could have but passed or it would be 6 out of 7 years...
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 17:13:42 (permalink)
    You also posted this which suggests your hunting is basically 4 hours one day and one hour on another day and you don't spend much time hunting bucks because you are too old to go where they are and don't need any more venison. I don't have even close to 400 different spots I have hunted since 1987 and I'll bet no one else on here does either. By the previous posts you have made I think you may be off by a zero or two.

DOC wrote=I have another great spot at clear creek for my dmap doe which I'll be going to after maybe tomorrow or next week and it's the same thing ... close to the road but an escape place when pressured and early morning travels... ... and like the hemlocks have never ever see a buck go in there ????

Usually it only takes about an hour to get one there :) :) :)

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/23 23:19:37 (permalink)
    I've harvested in either Polk or spring creek townships for 21 years since moving here...

here's the break down ====

SEASON - RIFLE - ARCHERY
    1987 - DOE - N/A
    1988 - 5 PT - N/A
    1989 - DOE - N/A
    1990 - DOE - N/A
    1991 - DOE - N/A
    1992 - DOE - N/A
    1993 - SPIKE - N/A
    1994 -DOE - N/A
    1995* - DOE - -- first year archery hutning
    1996 - DOE - ---
    1997 - 7 PT - DOE
    1998 - 6 PT - DOE
    1999 - DOE - DOE
    2000 - 7 PT - ---
    2001 - DOE - SPIKE -
    2002 - DOE - ---
    2003 - DOE - ---
    2004 - DOE - ---
    2005 - 2 DOE - ---
    2006 - 2 DOE N/A last year archery hutning
    2007 Heart Surgery No Deer Hunting
    2008 - 2 DOE - N/A
    2009 - 2 DOE N/A

so actually you are right I mis-remembered... counting last year I have harvested 30 deer in 22 years of hunting since moving here... and 18 of them have been behind the house...

I have have no doubt I will harvest two this season... one of which will be in the hemlocks...

OKAY.. I have hunted a TON of places around here.. that's better

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/23 23:33:35
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/24 06:43:06 (permalink)
    some deer totals are down some in places but there are still lots of deer ,they are just getten much smarter than the deer hunter.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday the 19th deer === 2010/09/24 10:12:51 (permalink)
    As I have said so many times lately.. I see it every time I stop to get a picture...

years ago I could get the video camera and film them for 5 minutes or more.. now it's all I can do to get a picture before they take off ... others have mentioned noticing the exact same thing around here. Appear to be less tolerate of autos and people as a whole...a.k.a. SMARTER ...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: