My Pulaski adventure

Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/16 17:14:06 (permalink)

My Pulaski adventure

Fished the Salmon River From Monday evening through Wednesday evening.....Monday evening I went to the ball field hole and it was pretty crowded.  Some guys were catching them.  Then went to the town hole as there were a ton of fish in it but they weren't biting.  I fished the DSR tuesday from the top of the glide to the little black hole....Had that location to myself, no one else around.  Found a pod of kings in the little black and managed to land a decent 25 pounder.  Wednesday went to the staircase and the action was good upstream to the bridge....I had no bites however....Closed out with a trip to the tressel hole and the action was fast and furious in the late afternoon...Though I couldn't get close to the best part of the hole, those in the sweet spot were getting major action.  I saw at least 20 hookups in two hours.  Funny part was two Russians on one side got into a shouting match with three Russians on the other side and they yelled at each other, in Russian, for half an hour....Lots of trash on the banks of the tressel hole, incredible....Pulaski is a very depressed area, the worst I've seen for a fishing destination.....I won't go back.

13 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 17:51:44 (permalink)
    Hey Cartist,

I never really got to know the Pulaski area till buying my place in Richland. Now I'm up there about every 2 weeks( 280 mi. each way) just to cut the grass and play some golf or just to hang out or do winter stuff. The people up there are some of the friendliest and nicest you could find anywhere.
     It was always a swoop for a couple of days just to fall fish for salmon or early spring for steelies. That went on for 30 years. Never knew much but the river.
      Its kind of like going someplace for vacation and then moving there--its a big difference. Yes its a bit depressed because of the economy but then it was never Hollywood or NYC anyway (thank god). Also the clear slowdown in the number of fishermen may well have had a negative impact as well. Lots of the old places are gone now, but thats only relative to when you started there. A new guy will always remember it as it is today and compare the future to now.
       Once you get around and meet the folks outside the fishing  service places its really nice. Remember those folks we meet at tackle shops and motels are having their busy season now and  are dealing with fisherman full time for a month or 2 then going back to their normal stuff when we leave.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 17:54:26 (permalink)
    Just another bit here- Its not the Pulaski folks snagging and throwing littter all over and fighting on the river banks -Its  our brother fishermen. Imagine what some Pulaskites must think of us.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 18:04:26 (permalink)
    One less guy casting over my drift.
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 18:11:38 (permalink)
    i agree been going up for 15 years you have good and bad every where you go i go there to fish and have a relaxing time like you said one less to cross my line and to move in on where im catching fish. By the way if im on fish all you have to do is ask and i will let you enjoy the time too.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 19:41:34 (permalink)
    I did spend some time in a restaurant near the dollar store, can't remember the name....The food was very good and cheap given it was all you can eat....I talked to some very nice folks at the bar.  We discussed non-fishing things like the local economy, the affect outlawing snagging had on the economy, etc.....I talked to nice people on the streams and in the parking lots as well....I saw some snaggers, at least one anyway, at the tressel hole....I drove 600 miles each way to visit and my take away is the DSR is a nice stretch of water and worth $45 a day.  The town of Pulaski is the biggest dump I've ever seen.....It's far worse than Erie, PA, and that's saying something.  But if you want to catch giant salmon in a really nice river and don't mind spending your non-fishing time in a place something well short of paradise, then Pulaski is worth a visit.....(one visit).
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 19:52:14 (permalink)
    First mistake was fishing the easy access spots.Don't worry you will not be missed.from the sounds of it you left plenty of fish for me over the weekend.you should have went to the UFZ,would of been a totally opposite experience.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 20:50:07 (permalink)
    I would recommend anyone going to Pulaski, if you can swing it, stay at one of the DSR properties....They seemed really nice.  I would say the SR is the nicest river I've fished in the great lakes region.....I just wish the atmosphere away from the river was more like Vermillion, Ohio or Ludington Michigan.....Fat Nancy's was a well stocked tackle shop and if you're looking for high end, there's an Orvis affiliated store.....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 22:01:50 (permalink)
    Chartist - besides the DSR, you picked the 3 worst spots on the river to fish. (Town Pool, Ball Park, and Trestle are the worst combat zones on the entire river).There is plenty of open peaceful water to choose from. But being a first time visitor with limited time I can understand how you ventured to the easy access spots.

Sorry your impression of Pulaski is lackluster, but I really can't argue with you about that. The place is severely depressed.

I stay up near Altmar and give the businesses up that way my $. There are some good bars & restaurants with friendly people to choose from in Altmar,Kaseog, and Williamston. Besides a supermarket run to P&C in Pulaski, I don't even venture inside the boundaries of Pulaski anymore.

But then again, for the most part I prefer to hang out at camp, drink a beer, and watch the flames in the woodstove...

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/16 22:30:52 (permalink)
    You should see downtown Pulaski in summer. Every weekend on the green there is a craft sale complete with bar-b=q and wild meat(elk). There is always a specialty show in the center like some kind of music or a kids show and the Amish are there with the horses and wagons  selling their goods. Just like an old time center of town get together. Every weekend, all summer.
     No fighting, no gangs, no pushing, no loud screaming, no crime and yelling just polite families having a nice time.
     On weekends they also raise the water level in the river and the tubers and kayakers are out in force.
      In Winter the snowmobilers pack the hotels and motels and eateries-not to mention brave snowshoeing steelheaders.
     Depressed- maybe fiscally-but not in spirit .
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/17 06:41:16 (permalink)
    you picked a bad time of year. try fishing nov. 1st through may 10th for steelies. a much better experience. and yes, pulaski is nice oveer the summer along with surrounding areas in regards to sales, flee markets, barbbecues... hey drake, i like altmar albion area too, but altmar is a little more dumpy in reality than pulaski if you ask me. but that's probably why i like it better anyway. i guess i'm a backwood country boy at heart
    MAGGOT666
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/17 09:24:48 (permalink)
    i have been fishing the salmon river for twenty years now,and i love it.i have traveled from new orleans and florida to fish there many times.iwas born in upstate ny and got my first taste of salmon fishing in pulaski when i was 10 years old.Back then you were allowed to snag,and if you thought the river is crowed now you should of seen it then.It was a free for all and also very dangerous.I have had some bad times there because of a few rude people but all in all its been good times.You have to remember people are coming from all over the united states and some from all over the world to catch these monster salmon. Alot of the people have traveled for days and have spent alot of money to get to pulaski.My point is most of the people are sleep deprived and cranky to begin with so they tend to be the people who cause the trouble,alot of people have never fished like this and get discouraged easily when they see someone who nows what they are doing and is catching fish after fish right next to them.These new fisherman tend to be the ones who jump in the spot that you have been fishing,cross your line and just cause problems because they have traveled from afar and want to take a trophy of there own.If i see someone who is new to this kind of fishing i stop what i am doing and give them a quick lesson session.Nine times out of ten they will be gratefull>I have found once i do this they stay put and they understand how the unwritten rules of the river goes,and once they hook up for the first time,they really are greatfull and often try and find there own spot instead of muscling in on you area.TRY it

RON FOX
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/17 10:09:07 (permalink)
    I reiterate, the SR is the nicest great lakes river I have ever fished.....I was on a tight schedule and didn't know where I was going exactly....I do wish my drive wasn't 600 miles, maybe I'll look into flying to Syracuse and renting a car....I'd like to fish the fly zone.
    But Erie is about to get hot.  That's a tough crew in Erie.  It can be a real combat zone....But, its only a 314 mile drive and I can do that easily.

I used a 7 weight, 11 foot fly rod....7 weight is the absolute minimum I would say.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: My Pulaski adventure 2010/09/17 16:12:24 (permalink)
    I've been to the SR about 6 times only in Oct.  Like everywhere else I've been, I have run into many great people and a few A holes. It's a spectacular river, and a great place to let go of lifes busy schedule and pressures.  Depressed or not, We enjoyed every trip there.   Not directed at you Chartist just a general response.
    Jump to: