Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/15 16:39:05 (permalink)

Salmon in the UFZ

Ponder this:

I am not an expert on Salmon, but from what I have read my understanding is that the fish return to their natal waters in order to spawn.

The SR Hatchery uses the water from Beaverbrook creek to imprint the salmon and that same water flow is what the fish wind up in after they make their fall run.

I'm wondering if all the Kings and Hos that bypass the Hatchery and head for the UFZ waters above the hatchery were naturally spawned there, or do you think a number of fish reared at the hatchery also bolt upstream instead of heading for the hatchery ladders?

2 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Salmon in the UFZ 2010/09/15 19:42:12 (permalink)
    i've seen spawning salmon in just about every part of the river from below the meadow all the way up. many wild fish are born and return every year. there is an estimated 10 to 20 million wild salmon that hatch every year. they are now in the middle of a ten year study to estimate how many of these fish return (which is definitely a small fraction of these figures).but i can't wait to start hearing about the fact based figures. i believe there are many more wild spawners tham most think. i wouldn't be surprised if the number is near 25,000 per year. that is all species taken in to consideration. and those are all wild fish.

mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Salmon in the UFZ 2010/09/15 20:51:11 (permalink)
    Take a walk into the UFZ in the spring,amazing how many salmon fry are there. 
    Jump to: