Eaton in the Fall

Author
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/14 08:17:02 (permalink)

Eaton in the Fall

Looking for a good Northern Pike bite on the "famed" Lake Eaton. 

I'm looking to give my kid a chance at the hammerhandles everybody always talking about.  Never been to the lake, but I can operate googlemaps.  I see two major shore accesses to the lake. 

One is a parking lot off black road, with what looks like nearby a long skinny pennisula just north of it.
Another is off 426/state line road and leads right the the base of the dam.

I'm guessing that the pennisula is weedy and the dam is rocky, but are they both good shore fishing?  How deep are these spots?  From the dam parking lot can you fish all across the the base of the dam?  Any information on the structure of the water near these spots is welcome.

do you guys figure that the pike are becoming more shallow as summer goes to fall or deeper?  Has the fishing been pretty good, or is the pack of pike thinning out?

We'll give one if not both of these spots a work over on saturday, I think.

6 Replies Related Threads

58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/14 12:08:25 (permalink)
    Jolie,
    The lake has weeds everywhere. The dam end is a little deeper (maybe 10-14 FOW), but the rest of the lake varies from 3-10 Feet. I was there 2 weeks ago and did manage a couple pike on a rubber worm (kinda weird ?). The beauty of this lake is that you can virtually fish the bank anywhere. THe dam end might be a little better bet right now, but what I caught was pulled out of deep weeds. I believe there is good shore fishing anywhere, but the weeds are a pain -

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    Reno Crevice
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/18 13:59:22 (permalink)
    Hammer handles are definitely abundant in Eaton, but I have caught some legal sized ones over the years there. My advice, the dam side is much better. The dam end does get down to about 14ft, but most of Eaton is fairly shallow. Usually spring is the best time to fish Eaton, little weeds and shallow fish make fishing from shore a breeze. After the vegetation grows in, it does get tough to fish. Pretty much the rocky areas have a thick weedy covering, the sandy/dirt areas have long grass. If you’re looking for pike, look for the long grass. They are in there waiting to hit just about anything! Silver/black combinations have been the best for me. The water level has been low there so the weeds have been a pain. The spring may yield the most fish, but the fall seems to yield the bigger ones! Fishing the outer edge of the weed lines is without a doubt the best place to look for fish in Eaton, no matter what you’re fishing for.
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/22 07:09:14 (permalink)
    Jolie,
    Did you go ? How did you do ?

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/22 15:29:09 (permalink)
    I have never fished this lake or heard of it for that matter, but pike in the weeds is a lot of fun. When fishing in Canada I fished weed beds. The weed beds that were just submerged enough to run a buzz bait was the ticket, and then if the weeds were forming a carpet i would throw weedless frog baits for bass. Pike on topwater is a blast. Just an option I am throwing at you, and can be rather cheap. Buzz baits and weedless frogs can be rather inexpensive.
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/23 08:14:14 (permalink)
    I did not go.  Getting out is not as easy as it seems.  I still hope to and appreciate the advice.  Summer always lingers in the water and I'll bet that eaton will only get better into october!

58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: Eaton in the Fall 2010/09/23 09:22:50 (permalink)
    You got that right Jolie.......cooler water temp and weeds dying mean feedbag time -

Jump to: