Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement

Author
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/13 11:13:58 (permalink)

Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement

I've heard some debate lately on the factors influencing the fall run, and was wondering what everyone's personal take is, as well as if anyone has any links to scientific studies on the subject. Most can agree that it is a combination of factors including cooling lake temperatures, photoperiodism (decreasing daylight), cool stream flows, and certainly rainfall. One of my specific questions would be which is of greater importance- lake surface temperature or tributary stream temps? Last data I saw had lake Erie surface temp around 68-69 degrees with the flow gauge at Walnut reading near 61 degrees. Which of these do you feel is more influential on fish movement? Obviously in the fall, our greatest concern or obstacle is adequate rainfall to allow fish passage, but if you were to rank the other factors, where would you place them in order of importance? As a side note, I would mention moon phase, and ask if in your experiences you have noticed any measurable lunar effect on steelhead migration or feeding activity. I talked with another fisherman on Elk last year who was convinced that the slow bite on that particular day was to be blamed on the moon phase, which I believe was 3/4 full. Fishermen, hunters, and scientists have debated the moon's effect on fish and game activity for years, and will probably continue for many years to come. Just wondering what your personal experiences are and of course, if you have any cool links on the subject feel free to share.

24 Replies Related Threads

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 11:27:38 (permalink)
    I have seen them run in warm water, in cold water, in bright sunny autumns, in cold dreary autumns (this IS Erie after all), high water, low water. Has anyone noticed if they even have this discussion in the Pacific northwest?

My friend's wife just had a baby; she was born after nine months.  It was a cold rainy day, no moon. Ambient air temperature was 62 outside, 72 inside. Were the environmental, astronomical, socio-political conditions right? Or was it just time? 

The steelhead come up when they are good and ready. Not before not after. For some steel this happens in the fall, for some in the winter, for some in the spring.

Mystery solved.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 11:35:29 (permalink)
    Sweet.

We are now just a fish-handling thread away from a major run of steelhead.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 11:42:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Sweet.

somebody post  pictures of fish on dry rocks
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 11:51:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

I've heard some debate lately on the factors influencing the fall run, and was wondering what everyone's personal take is, as well as if anyone has any links to scientific studies on the subject. Most can agree that it is a combination of factors including cooling lake temperatures, photoperiodism (decreasing daylight), cool stream flows, and certainly rainfall. One of my specific questions would be which is of greater importance- lake surface temperature or tributary stream temps? Last data I saw had lake Erie surface temp around 68-69 degrees with the flow gauge at Walnut reading near 61 degrees. Which of these do you feel is more influential on fish movement? Obviously in the fall, our greatest concern or obstacle is adequate rainfall to allow fish passage, but if you were to rank the other factors, where would you place them in order of importance? As a side note, I would mention moon phase, and ask if in your experiences you have noticed any measurable lunar effect on steelhead migration or feeding activity. I talked with another fisherman on Elk last year who was convinced that the slow bite on that particular day was to be blamed on the moon phase, which I believe was 3/4 full. Fishermen, hunters, and scientists have debated the moon's effect on fish and game activity for years, and will probably continue for many years to come. Just wondering what your personal experiences are and of course, if you have any cool links on the subject feel free to share.

Really there are no hard and fast rules for steelhead, but many theories as to why they run at certain periods.  As noted above by Cbeagler, they come in when they are good and ready, and really nobody knows when that is.  Steelhead prefer colder water, in the lake and in the streams, so the closer it gets to steelhead operating temperature (55 to 60 degrees) they are prone to show up in bigger numbers. 

I believe that temperature regulation of the stream has a lot to do with productivity as well, more when the temperature raises closer to their optimum comfort zone.  If the stream temperature starts out at 50 degrees, and rises two degrees and steadies out during the day, it has been from my experience that the steelhead become more prone to hit during this time.  Also, in winter, the mornings are not the best time to fish, but its during the high afternoon when the temp raises and steadies out.

Although many do not like him for some reason, John Nagy's book has much detailed information and theories about Steelhead runs in Erie.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 12:14:58 (permalink)
    At least "noticable" numbers show up EVERY year about the same time, regardless of temperature, or rainfall. Given that it's the only constant factor year in, and year out, I would say length of daylight is the predominant factor. Followed by temperature, then rainfall.

Another factor to consider, is the "muttification" of our Steelhead strain. That, and the time in which the PF&BC pulls fish for egg collection. I was discussing this with Chuck the other night, and his hypothisis, was that their collection procedures were resulting in earlier running fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 15:56:18 (permalink)
    At least "noticable" numbers show up EVERY year about the same time, regardless of temperature, or rainfall. Given that it's the only constant factor year in, and year out, I would say length of daylight is the predominant factor. Followed by temperature, then rainfall.

I have to agree with Spoonchucker on this one, daylight length is the one factor that never changes year to year.  In most mammals it's photo-period / daylight length that triggers their matting season, so I'm sure it's probably the same way for fish spawning.  Bucks were long thought to go into rut based on moon phase, but I have read several recent studies online that now suggest photo-period being the predominant factor.

As for moon phases;  From personal experience I feel like the fuller the moon the slower the bite is true for all fish.  When there is a full moon and no clouds fish can see at night to feed.  However once Steelhead are up high in the creeks and in full spawning mode, I don't think they really feed much at all and bite more out of aggression.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 17:17:24 (permalink)
    October and November... jus sayin.

heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 18:57:38 (permalink)
    biological clock goes off.

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 19:23:46 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, last year on Elk fishing just up from the Conrail tracks I watched what seemed like 50-60 steel swim past me in the span of a couple hours.  It was very low water, last week in Sept, bright sunny day, middle of the afternoon.  Just fought through riffles with half their backs exposed.  Wouldn't hit anything.  They're feeble minds were focused on getting upstream and nothing else.

So I guess it's when ever they feel like it.  Perhaps the stampede theory?
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 19:59:57 (permalink)
    right after the gators go dormant and the buldged eyed wobbler starts to gaze at the stars. 2 days after that should be good. lol but seriously each year seams to be different i have never really seen a big run till the water is cold the leaves have changed and the creeks are up alittle

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 20:18:13 (permalink)
    What Spoonchucker said...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 20:34:18 (permalink)
    When they start feeling the vibrations of spoons ploppin' in the creek. Their lateral lines can detect these vibrations miles away!

Just sayin'
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 22:21:36 (permalink)
    I agree with all of the theories, to a point. I believe that the steel do start up according to the sun but I believe they are more influnced by the temp of the water and the amount of flow in the creeks that makes the run easier. The fish will TRY to Run in almost any water level but they really get going when they have lots of cool water . So my guess is sun/time activated, cool water influenced. water flow controlled. I've seen years where there were steel in the lower parts of the creeks about the 15th of Sept, but due to low/warm water not many were leaving the mouths, and many more never made it much past the esturial waters. Then again I've seen lots of rain and high waters in mid Sept and fish working wayy upstream. One year when there was very low water I walked way out on the jetty at Walnut (past where any anglers were beating the waves) and the mouth of the creek was almost black with steel. They would push in and then where the creek water was warm they would just turn and head back out to the lake. That year I believe the lake cooled off before the creeks and the fish didn't want to leave the cool water.
    Plus not all the fish are inclined to run upstream. I have seen fish trying to Redd up right above the tidal waters above the Wall on the Nut. And in shallow water over the gravel of the beach on some of the mile streams.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 22:32:15 (permalink)
    Photo-periods dictate when they will spawn. Local factors like weather and possibly moon phases influence migration.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 22:54:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

When they start feeling the vibrations of spoons ploppin' in the creek. Their lateral lines can detect these vibrations miles away!

Just sayin'

Your welcome

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/13 23:20:28 (permalink)
    If it's rainin' they're runnin'.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 07:09:28 (permalink)
    I think they move fastest when they get a hook in their butt..
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 09:05:38 (permalink)

Sweet.

Does anyone know where I can get another pair of Boga grips? I like to hold the fish up while I run the yellow rope through its gills. I use a heavy yellow rope so I can drag it like a deer across the slate.

The run should begin any time now. You're welcome.
    post edited by cbeagler - 2010/09/14 09:07:34
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 10:27:37 (permalink)

Heres an excellent choice cbeagler...It even has stainless steel razor sharp teeth for that "extra" grip ensuring a guaranteed capture for your photo op and quick release! Also conveniently comes with a scale so you can hang the fish by the jaw and weigh your prize! I found that most Erie steelheaders carry this along the streams, so its GOT to be good!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 11:23:57 (permalink)
    What we need to do now is test these theories out in July/August to see who's right . (1)So now someone plan on blocking out the sunlight earlier each day. (2)Someone intorduce a cold constant flow to the creek. (3) On cloudy nights, someone produce fake moonlight. (4) someone lower the lake temperature.
    If all test are run independently, the data should show what really causes them to run. Then the theory can be proven, replicated & made into scientific fact.

Seriously, I too am interested in what triggers the run, but I really don't need to know why.

What I need to know is when they are running.

When they start running it will be all over this site, which is good. If we didn't have this site a lot of people would make wasted trips(myself included) and we would be just like the bears in AK and Canada, just standing there waiting for the fish to run. "Well, they ran at this time last year", the bears have to show up then, we don't.

But I think all of the theories hold some merit, but I think Temp & water flow are the two main reasons.
    Just my $.02
    post edited by JEB - 2010/09/14 11:26:47
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 11:54:51 (permalink)
    All you truely need to know when driving from distances, is set your plans for anytime after mid Oct. By then, there will be enough steel in the streams to be caught - Every year!. The main factor to be MOST concerned with after that, will be the stream conditions and weather. This site would be the LAST thing I rely on when determining a trip to Erie...I'm totally serious about that too!

Just sayin'
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 13:14:22 (permalink)
    Really though, as was already posted, the light intensity[ shorting of the days ] trigger the spawning urges. The rainfall is the running factor. Fish need to spawn in gravel beds and need running water for the eggs to mature and nature provides that built into the fish brain....WF
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 14:03:51 (permalink)

Sweet.

Sorry, but we are still missing two vital threads before the major run will begin. We need "The Fish Are Bigger In 2010" and "I Predict An Early Run This Year"

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/09/14 14:08:22
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Factors Influencing Steelhead Movement 2010/09/14 14:09:39 (permalink)
    The fish are bigger thread is the first sign that the run is happening.

The early run thread should have happened in late-July or early-August if it was gonna happen. At this point, that'd be like saying "I predict Roethlisberger won't miss any regular season games." Might have been valid weeks ago. Maybe. But now it's just crazy talk.
    Jump to: