should we strive for catch & release fishing?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
  • Reward points: 0
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/16 17:33:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

I think the best solution is to outlaw fishing from boats.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/16 17:57:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Riverbum

more fish in the streams = more opportunities to catch fish = more anglers = more $$$ to the local economy

yeah, erie is bankrupt as **** when the steelhead arent around

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/16 18:43:52 (permalink)
Show me da money 
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/16 23:10:30 (permalink)
GOOD STUFF LOL LOL

I have become comfortably numb
KilDux
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 07:35:13 (permalink)
Headed out to the trench in the morning to murder farm animals, squeeze some more walleye and perch fillet into my freezer, and senselessly bonk steel over the head and toss them into my cooler.  If anyone wants to pay me the fair market value of $.07 / pound for the steel (as we established earlier in this thread), I'll meet ya at the dock around 1PM.  Look for the guy with the big red nose, floppy shoes, and rainbow colored hair. 
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 09:21:29 (permalink)
"Senselessly Bonk Steel"

Who ever said the steel was not getting properly used? And "senselessly" being bonked, as if people were just killing them for fertilizer which I'm sure is just an expression to get guys like you all rowled up (It worked by the way!). I happen to really like eating steelhead....NOT SMOKED either. I'm sure there are many on this board who can attest to the fact that my grilled steelhead is pretty dam good. As a matter of fact, you bring me a fresh steel, and I'll grill it up for you. If you cannot agree that its among some of the top fish you've eaten, I'll personally buy you a steak dinner at the Avonia!
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/09/17 09:22:29
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 09:47:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

"Senselessly Bonk Steel"

Who ever said the steel was not getting properly used? And "senselessly" being bonked, as if people were just killing them for fertilizer which I'm sure is just an expression to get guys like you all rowled up (It worked by the way!). I happen to really like eating steelhead....NOT SMOKED either. I'm sure there are many on this board who can attest to the fact that my grilled steelhead is pretty dam good. As a matter of fact, you bring me a fresh steel, and I'll grill it up for you. If you cannot agree that its among some of the top fish you've eaten, I'll personally buy you a steak dinner at the Avonia!

Curious have you ever cut a steelhead into steaks like they do salmon and tuna and swords or do you keep smaller sized Steel and just fillet them?

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 09:56:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

"Senselessly Bonk Steel"

Curious have you ever cut a steelhead into steaks like they do salmon and tuna and swords or do you keep smaller sized Steel and just fillet them?

Its funny you ask...I was actually thinking about cutting up some steel into steaks this year. I do fillet them and it doesn't really matter large or small, but I do like to select the fresher/silver fish. There are, however, some key factors in preperation that help make for a better fillet.

They Are:

-bleed the fish by cutting the gills - ASAP so the heart can pump out most of the blood.
-fresh is best - if you're going to freeze, vaccume seal or freeze in water
-a simple marinade
-Grille - charcoal is best, but gas will do just fine.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 10:27:17 (permalink)
I do fillet them and it doesn't really matter large or small, but I do like to select the fresher/silver fish.

+1

I brought home a small, fresh hen 2 years ago that was good eating. Last year I brought one, a larger buck with some stream pink on him, and while it was okay there was definitely a lot stronger fishiness to it.
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 11:38:44 (permalink)

"Senselessly Bonk Steel"

By fileting you can leave the fat near the back and the belly fat on the carcass. Thereby eliminating 90% of what the advisories warn about. You can also leave a 1/4 inch of the dark meat on the skin, then cut out the V of darker meat at the lateral line which makes the fish taste stronger. Steaking the fish you would eat it all.
It's also important to keep any slime from touching the meat.The meat should never touch the same surface as the skin side. I rinse the blade between slicings. After fileting you can dunk the meat in a bowl with vinegar and water. The vinegar kills any bacteria.[ I do the same when I'm cutting up deer.]
I don't eat them very often, but when I do I enjoy them.

What I said might sound complicated but it usually takes me about 30 seconds a fish.

Glen
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 16:09:01 (permalink)
The vinegar kills any bacteria.[ I do the same when I'm cutting up deer.]

Thanks but I'll pass on soaking my venison in vinegar water!  Steelhead is just like any other game meat, process them fresh immediately after they are killed, don't cut into the entrails while your filleting, keep the fish slime off the meat, and it's gonna taste excellent if prepared, seasoned, and cooked right.

Half of the people who say Steelhead tastes fishy or bad tasting are probably doing one of the following;  Keeping old dark fish, letting fish die on a stringer first thing in the morning and then cleaning them 5 or 6 hours later, cutting into the guts when they clean them and marinating the fillet in stomach bile and feces, or over cooking them.
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/17 16:38:34 (permalink)
Steelhead marinated in its own feces....Mmm mmm good.
albud1962
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/04 21:28:05 (permalink)

using that logic we should all throw back Walleyes and Perch out on the big lake for more anglers to have opportunities

the love of trout never ceases to amaze me

Overfishing can always be a problem no matter the species. Trout are special because they are not readily replaced and the cost of stocking. Wild trout are not as resilient to angler pressure as other warmwater fish. Also many wild trout streams as impaired due to a number of impacts including acid rain, sedimentation and sewage thus limiting natural reproduction. Face it trout need clean water and thats at a premium in this state.

If the walleye numbers had a noticeable drop  I am sure you would echo the same sentiments as I expressed for  steelhead and wild trout. It wasn't too long ago I heard the log lovers complaining about over harvest of walleyes.
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/04 21:48:13 (permalink)

monkey puke
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/09 18:21:38 (permalink)
Catch and release is a matter of personal preference. I don't shoot the first 110 class eight point that stolls by, but I wouldn't force that on someone else. I am from St Marys and the trout nazis have trout fishing all screwed up around here. They have entire streams artificial lure only (why don't we have bait only areas where you aren't allowed to fly fish). The Clarion River from Johnsonburg to Ridgway is catch and release. This is ridiculous! That stream is polluted and the only fish that were kept from there were got mounted... a few per year. I used to fly fish alot, but I gave it up after listening to all the crap that the fly nazis spill out (like b**ch about a 10 year old kid keeping a limit of trout). I still trout fish, but I am strictly bait. I am glad I have a boat so I don't have to trout fish the streams around the crazies. I'm not trying to start any arguments, but think about why you are out there. It is fishing!! It is supposed to be fun!! If you want bigger steelies, got to Lake Ontario. If you want to catch 30 per day, go to Lake Erie. If you want walleye, go to Erie. If you want salmon, go to Ontario.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/09 21:27:19 (permalink)

"Senselessly Bonk Steel"

Its funny you ask...I was actually thinking about cutting up some steel into steaks this year. I do fillet them and it doesn't really matter large or small, but I do like to select the fresher/silver fish. There are, however, some key factors in preperation that help make for a better fillet.

They Are:

-bleed the fish by cutting the gills - ASAP so the heart can pump out most of the blood.
-fresh is best - if you're going to freeze, vaccume seal or freeze in water
-a simple marinade
-Grille - charcoal is best, but gas will do just fine.

Some of the best dam fish I've ever eatin and I'm not a big fan of trout.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/09 22:17:32 (permalink)
Lock this thread it's been beat up enough!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
LakeErieMonster
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/09 22:20:43 (permalink)
my kids better have a good first day this year n  I wont let it happen again.  we release most but if my boy wants to keep a big one he can.
DJ2007
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 523
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2011/04/09 22:56:40 (permalink)
Stock more!
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to: