should we strive for catch & release fishing?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
emal7717
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points: 0
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 15:20:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FisherChic

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Hey...I gotta a question. Who leaves more trash....Erie or Pittsburgh guys?

Well I just picked up a whole bag full of cans and bottles at Manchester hole. I wasn't fishing--just walking the #3 beagle."

I can't say for certain, but I suspect there's alot more locals than out 0f towners fishing this early in the season.

everywhere I go fishing I clean up trash. it's not just in erie.
so, there are litterbugs everywhere doesn't matter where they live, or fish.

To answer your question: its those terrorist from O' High ya. PA needs to put in a 10cent bottle and can deposit law like Michigan...you will never see another can or bottle anywhere.
carpin06
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 498
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 15:55:57 (permalink)
Administrator chimming in??????Now i know something is fishy!!!!!!!!!
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 16:52:21 (permalink)
I am speculating that the cause is the obstructions created in the development of the project waters.

Steelhead can easily jump the log jams of the project waters when the water is up.  The real problem is that waterfall above the chutes on Walnut, that's what's stopping them.  I'd love to see that thing leveled off if it's possible during low water some summer.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 17:40:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KilDux

I toss back most of my stream caught steel.  On the boat...  If it is legal I kill it or someone else will.  Trolling costs gas money and fish pay that bill.

True

9 inch Perch?  Kill it. 

I get that

I  15 1/2 inch Walleye?  Kill it.

yup

Steel?  Kill it because it will die anyway. 

I'm less in agreement with this...but go on, close the deal...convince me.

Sheep?  Kill it then throw it back.

OOO NOOO! Ya lost me! Killing fish, then "throwing them back" because.....well for no then reason then....you don't like them....is wrong. Trash fish or not. I enjoy catching them. Please consider returning any fish you don't intend to use in some way SAFELY back to the water.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 18:31:16 (permalink)

I toss back most of my stream caught steel.  On the boat...  If it is legal I kill it or someone else will.  Trolling costs gas money and fish pay that bill.

True

9 inch Perch?  Kill it. 

I get that

yup

OOO NOOO! Ya lost me! Killing fish, then "throwing them back" because.....well for no then reason then....you don't like them....is wrong. Trash fish or not. I enjoy catching them. Please consider returning any fish you don't intend to use in some way SAFELY back to the water.

No all sheep die they are a nuisance. And that's that.

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 20:31:26 (permalink)
Yeah, I get it. It's like those stupid browns I keep catchin. I just keep em for the eggs.

I choose Little Cleos

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 20:43:48 (permalink)
Sheepheads. I won't kill them just to kill them....sorry...but when I hook one and bring it in, I grip the hook with pliers and shake them off as hard as I can...if they bonk off the side of the boat like they usually do, so be it.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/09/14 20:44:25
Bogeyjoker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1704
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 21:05:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Sheepheads. I won't kill them just to kill them...I grip the hook with pliers and shake them off as hard as I can...if they bonk off the side of the boat like they usually do, so be it.

+1

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 21:10:02 (permalink)
Would be the opposite, possibly. Ever fish a pond where nobody keeps
the bluegills while fishing for bass?
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 21:10:11 (permalink)
yeah nuke has a problem with sheephead fighting him so hard while he's trying to unhook them that they accidentally hit the boat 

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 21:17:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Okey doky! So here's another take on the C&R argument. How about C&R north of Rt 5? Except at Trout run and Godfrey Run? That way more fish will spread out along the creeks and provide more fishing opportunities? If it was all C&R there would be quite a few die off due to stress; so that is an unviable option. However if more fish made it upstream then there MIGHT be a chance for more natural reproduction. (It really does happen) I am usually a C&R fisherman but I have been known to take 1 or two per year for smoking. The entire case for total C&R is brought on by seeing so many 'roped' at the projects on Walnut by people who come back 3-4 times a day. Since I rarely get to Erie and I see it every time I go up, I imagine it is a big problem.
Of course if I had my 'druthers' I'd like to see Walnut from rt 5 to the lake made C&R and the projects reserved for elderly, kids and handicapped. I'd also like to have part of the wall set up for wheelchair bound fishermen. But even there the enforcement angle is unworkable.

I like that idea, C&R north of Rt. 5. It would sure ease up the
pressure on the east side creeks. Especially 12 mile creek and
7 mile creek. :-) You'd need to hire a dozen WCO though.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3145
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 21:37:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Would be the opposite, possibly. Ever fish a pond where nobody keeps
the bluegills while fishing for bass?

Beaver Creek Project Ponds outside of Knox in Clarion County are filled with stunted bluegills, pumpkinseeds and bass.
pudge1970
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 22:05:24 (permalink)
Just like the sticker on the top of the fish cooler reads " If They Bite They Die!" If the fish is legal size it is dead....end of story Steelhead or not....And by the way...been boxing them in the deadwell for over three weeks now just north of the first trench to a little south.Stocking up on canned steelhead for winter..It is that time of year ya know ;)
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 22:30:26 (permalink)
If you guys keep on keepin' fish...we won't have any...if everybody released all fish for next 5 years....we'd be loaded!

I choose Little Cleos

**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 22:35:02 (permalink)
would imagine the release rate of erie large and smallmouth bass is very high and it sure doesnt hurt their size. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 22:46:12 (permalink)
I keep all my bass.........delicious as a steelmutt!

With "apple branches, hickory,  and brown sugar" they all taste like.......well......"apple branches, hickory,  and brown sugar"......and sheet.

I have a ?......who leaves more trash on the streams? Erie or Cleveland?

I choose Little Cleos

6point7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 22:55:48 (permalink)
So...a sheephead eats a worm that one puts in front of it in 70 fow. kill it? I don't get it.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3145
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 23:18:47 (permalink)

I keep all my bass.........delicious as a steelmutt!

With "apple branches, hickory,  and brown sugar" they all taste like.......well......"apple branches, hickory,  and brown sugar"......and sheet.

I have a ?......who leaves more trash on the streams? Erie or Cleveland?

only kept a few bass (largemouth and smallies) and they had some type of black worm or parasite...needless to say, all bass are now released. Perch, Crappies, Walleye are the only fish worth keeping IMO. Now when I get to fish for Salmon in New York someday soon hopefully then it will be a different story
post edited by psu_fish - 2010/09/14 23:21:49
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 23:30:55 (permalink)
if u know to prepare a fillet jus about any fish will be good even tried sheepshead once wasnt too bad either but you cant beat crappie bluegill perch either and btw pike arent too bad either just my my opinion

I have become comfortably numb
6point7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/14 23:37:44 (permalink)
Cleveland
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 02:53:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteelSlayer77

I am speculating that the cause is the obstructions created in the development of the project waters.

Steelhead can easily jump the log jams of the project waters when the water is up.  The real problem is that waterfall above the chutes on Walnut, that's what's stopping them.  I'd love to see that thing leveled off if it's possible during low water some summer.

So what stopped em 2 years ago ? The waterfall isn't getting any bigger . Perhaps lack of water , simply bad timing , or the worst returns know to the watershed ?

I like the 2 roped fish idea . An idea comparable to our "New" redistribution of wealth movement though
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 05:16:18 (permalink)
The Log dams didn't stop the dozens that have already passed by them this year in low water.

Two years ago the water was frigid cold from snow melt early in the year (first week of Nov.)  once it gets that cold they aren't jumping anything. They slowly move up (at a snails pace compared to normal) but the majority aren't going to leap any waterfalls when the water is icy cold.
post edited by Stillhead - 2010/09/15 05:54:39
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 05:47:28 (permalink)
I have seen hundreds of fish at the falls on Walnut as the day was ending, and when we returned in the a.m., they're gone. Do I think that they turned around? No. They went up.

Fishmonger
LCHABER
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 06:48:27 (permalink)
Finally found a good use for the walleyes. Brought a bunch of heads home to my Chinese friends, the LOVED 'em!!!
KilDux
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 07:30:13 (permalink)

True

9 inch Perch?  Kill it. 

I get that

yup

You ever try to release a steelhead in the trench?  They may swim down for a few seconds, then they float up to the surface and belly up like a sheep that just got its ars beat by Big Slick on King Nuke's boat!
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 14:13:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pudge1970

Just like the sticker on the top of the fish cooler reads " If They Bite They Die!" If the fish is legal size it is dead....end of story Steelhead or not....And by the way...been boxing them in the deadwell for over three weeks now just north of the first trench to a little south.Stocking up on canned steelhead for winter..It is that time of year ya know ;)

Make you feel like a man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22AxBsV-be4

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 14:42:22 (permalink)
i stand at the waterfall on walnut and put fish in buckets and let them go on the other side every night... don't tell anyone though because i catch them with my hands
post edited by heyiknowyou - 2010/09/15 14:45:13

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 19:02:09 (permalink)

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
pudge1970
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 19:19:53 (permalink)

Make you feel like a man?

I fish for a few reasons and needing to "feel like a man" is not one of them. If you owned a boat you too could enjoy the $100 fill ups while trolling for the green and silver fish. They are stocked for a reason. To catch and do what you see fit to do with them. If you want to release them go ahead. I paid for the license and will kill and eat what I want... Unless you would like to start supplying me with dinners out at your fav restaurant Logan??
post edited by pudge1970 - 2010/09/15 19:22:15
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/15 19:45:27 (permalink)
I do keep like 2 to 4 a year for smokin but other than that I practice C&R.

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: