should we strive for catch & release fishing?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/12 10:22:34 (permalink)

should we strive for catch & release fishing?

I'm all for catching more and larger fish.  If more folks would just release their catch or certainly limit their take to one or two fish, that would go a long way to increasing the fish population......Steelhead taste bad....pass it on.

138 Replies Related Threads

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:09:47 (permalink)
    I keep very few steelhead a year but I would oppose that idea.Can't believe that would make steelhead larger. Charter boats can keep them so why should a stream angler be allowed not to? As for more fish; when I started fishing steel in Mich, 30 years ago, I was happy to land 3 or 4 in a day. In Pa, we are ruined by the amount of fish we can catch. Besides, even though I agree with you about the taste, some people really like them. The 3 fish limit is fine; some keep a lot more and we all know that. Mandatory catch and release is just being greedy...My 2 cents.... WF
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:20:18 (permalink)
    Love 'em smoked on my Brinkman, love 'em beerbattered or floured and fried.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:20:33 (permalink)
    Your proposition is a contradiction in itself, more and bigger fish do not go hand in hand.  Higher fish populations = less food per fish...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:32:56 (permalink)
    Logan, I would agree if lake erie wasn't so bountiful with baitfish......
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:34:25 (permalink)
    Thats assuming the forage base of Lake Erie is being utilized to its maximum. If the ecosystem can support more mature 4th year fish then you can absolutely have more and bigger at the same time. Less food per individual fish doesn't automatically mean not enough food to support a mature fish.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:54:48 (permalink)
    I agree just presenting the argument, there are a lot of variants that would effect it.  However the numbers of fish are being stocked, little to no food in the streams besides whatever humans are throwing at them, the time frame when these fish are trying to eat as much as possible to prepare for the run is when they are stacked in schools, and if catch and release was mandatory and the same numbers were continued to be stocked the population would continue to increase hence less food eventually...The numbers of fish in the creeks spoil us, I wish we had an actual steelhead fishery that was local, one that one fish a day is a fantastic day, one that even one fish a season is satisfactory...but moving to BC to fish the kispiox isn't very realistic...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 11:55:11 (permalink)
    It's a put and 'delayed' take fishery.  I don't think year in and year out we would even see a difference if shore and stream anglers had to release.  Perhaps in a given year it would seem like there were more fish upstream though if all got a chance to pass.  I've read so many studies on release mortality that I don't know what to believe, but most of them were done on wild fish.  I would like to see a multi-state / joint-country effort to assess boat catches to stream.  That will never happen, but would be really insightful.  Anyone care to take a guess?  I've never seen a steelhead released from a boat before.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:01:31 (permalink)
    I forgot about having a yearly C&R thread.

Now all we need is a fish handling thread and a conditions argument and then the steelhead can start to run!
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:10:26 (permalink)
    if you say steelhead tastes bad, you aint cookin it right... the bones suck but when it's done right it's a good eat

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:10:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist

I'm all for catching more and larger fish.  If more folks would just release their catch or certainly limit their take to one or two fish, that would go a long way to increasing the fish population..

more and "larger" fish
    and what study/data are you basing your premise on??

there's surely be more fish in the creeks if everyone released them .
    But duud, the best thing that could happen to a PA steelie is get eaten .
    It's more of a "mercy" killing if you ask me.
    There's no place for them to hide and they get POUNDED day in and day out by every would be troutgawd .
    By the time season over, they're so hammered and beat that the ones lucky enough to survive the gauntlet (if you call that "lucky")  and make it back out to the lake, the vast majority of them die out there .
    From what I've read, very few PA steelies make more than one run.

The stress of trying to spawn on shallow, hard bottom shale creeks, coupled with being hammered and released a dozen or more times puts a BIG hurtin' one them.
    Mortality rate is quite low after a season in the "thunderdome"

..L.T.A.
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:21:21 (permalink)

I'm all for catching more and larger fish.  If more folks would just release their catch or certainly limit their take to one or two fish, that would go a long way to increasing the fish population......Steelhead taste bad....pass it on.

You convinced me. If I ever catch one, I'm gonna release it. That is, after I cut the line off cause it swallowed the skein, then take pictures for 5 minutes holding it up with my Boga Grip. Then I'll let it do a back flip over my shoulder. Glen
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:28:00 (permalink)
    LoganWade: Good point, I agree. While I think, in general, more special regulations areas on stocked trout water throughout the state would be a good thing (and honestly, when it comes down to it I just want more trout water open year round. If that means more C&R areas or DHALO then cool) Erie is not the place. The majority of people I see already practice C&R, and already fish with flies. A special regs area in Erie wouldn't ammount to an area with less pressure and it wouldn't lead to more fish in the long run. IF we had an honest to god steelhead river where fish wouldn't be crammed in washtub sized holes in streams with very little naturally occurring food, a river bigger than the cat, I'd like to see a special regs area. We don't have that river, so lets forget special regs for Erie.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 12:41:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

LoganWade: Good point, I agree. While I think, in general, more special regulations areas on stocked trout water throughout the state would be a good thing (and honestly, when it comes down to it I just want more trout water open year round. If that means more C&R areas or DHALO then cool) Erie is not the place. The majority of people I see already practice C&R, and already fish with flies. A special regs area in Erie wouldn't ammount to an area with less pressure and it wouldn't lead to more fish in the long run. IF we had an honest to god steelhead river where fish wouldn't be crammed in washtub sized holes in streams with very little naturally occurring food, a river bigger than the cat, I'd like to see a special regs area. We don't have that river, so lets forget special regs for Erie.

Well said, and am also in favor of more year round trout fishing but there are limits to where water conditions stay ideal for the entire year ..Don't know where your located but pm me and I can give you some info on locations I have been fishing trout

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 13:02:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glen

You convinced me. If I ever catch one, I'm gonna release it. That is, after I cut the line off cause it swallowed the skein, then take pictures for 5 minutes holding it up with my Boga Grip. Then I'll let it do a back flip over my shoulder. Glen

Very nice Glen. Make sure you get that shotgun pose.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 13:33:24 (permalink)
    Why start this crap AGAIN!!!!!!!!Catch and release has nothing to do with size or numbers......

IT IS PUT AND TAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROPEM&SMOKEM............
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 13:48:17 (permalink)
    Better enforcement, but that too comes with a price. I'd like to see a slight increase in the cost of a fishing license dedicated to hiring CWO's. more stocking and progressive fish management.

A side note, we can all get ready for flying carp in the big lake if the feds don't get more proactive but I digress!
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 13:54:23 (permalink)
    as someone said, it wouldn't be steelhead season without this thread.....Just trying to get everyone in the spirit of the season....I may stop by Elk creek on my way home from Pulaski, NY Thursday to see if some snaggers have an early push surrounded.....
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 14:06:19 (permalink)
    Okey doky! So here's another take on the C&R argument. How about C&R north of Rt 5? Except at Trout run and Godfrey Run? That way more fish will spread out along the creeks and provide more fishing opportunities? If it was all C&R there would be quite a few die off due to stress; so that is an unviable option. However if more fish made it upstream then there MIGHT be a chance for more natural reproduction. (It really does happen) I am usually a C&R fisherman but I have been known to take 1 or two per year for smoking. The entire case for total C&R is brought on by seeing so many 'roped' at the projects on Walnut by people who come back 3-4 times a day. Since I rarely get to Erie and I see it every time I go up, I imagine it is a big problem.
    Of course if I had my 'druthers' I'd like to see Walnut from rt 5 to the lake made C&R and the projects reserved for elderly, kids and handicapped. I'd also like to have part of the wall set up for wheelchair bound fishermen. But even there the enforcement angle is unworkable.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 14:56:11 (permalink)
    Making the project C&R, kids only, elderly only, etc. would only make other areas more crowded. Let the crowds hang out at the popular spots, let the meat hounds take their limits. There's plenty of fish for everyone.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 18:36:32 (permalink)
    I need boga grips

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 19:14:44 (permalink)
    I never get tired of a good "C&R vs SLAUGHTER THE SLIMY THINGS CAUSE WE'LL MAKE MORE"  thread

Just wish i liked the taste of the foul flesh, cause I'd kill aplenty if so.
    and so would 90% of you other C&R duuds.
    Most of us let 'em go cause they taste like sh......
    and YOU know it!!!

if I've said it once, I've said it dozens of times over the years..
    It's a good thing steelies don't taste like walleye, perch or panfish ...cause there'd be a hardly any left in the creeks  by Thanksgiving...

..L.T.A.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 19:17:47 (permalink)
    Like genie says; Look what they do to walleyes and perch.
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 20:27:10 (permalink)
    my answer is simply NO

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 22:24:07 (permalink)
    In a word "NO"

Steelhead properly handled (kept cold) and prepared are excellent table fare!

Fish management made simple: A given number of acres of water will sustain a given number of pounds of fish!
    High number of fish = smaller fish! Lower number of fish = bigger fish!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/12 23:31:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: genieman77

I never get tired of a good "C&R vs SLAUGHTER THE SLIMY THINGS CAUSE WE'LL MAKE MORE"  thread

if I've said it once, I've said it dozens of times over the years..
    It's a good thing steelies don't taste like walleye, perch or panfish ...cause there'd be a hardly any left in the creeks  by Thanksgiving...

..L.T.A.

If fish tasted like cheeseburgers....I'd gaff em all.

Hey...I gotta a question. Who leaves more trash....Erie or Pittsburgh guys?

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/13 01:43:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Hey...I gotta a question. Who leaves more trash....Erie or Pittsburgh guys?

donno, cause we chase them off when they  try and sneak across the boarder to your west....

I have to say though, the Erie duuds are more like "us" than those knuckle dragging neanderthal oafs from da burgh...

OH I'm just kidding!!

a little ...

(chit eatin' grin icon)

..L.T.A.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/13 06:47:09 (permalink)
    NO! There are already too many, un-natural #s, too easy to catch, polluted by everythng from paper to trash mouth hill billys, mass produced steelhead in our streams.....If anything...EVERYONE should keep their limit EVERYTIME they go fishing up there.

Just Sayin'!!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/13 07:23:36 (permalink)
    Kill Em All... jus sayin
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: should we strive for catch & release fishing? 2010/09/13 07:26:11 (permalink)
    I've got a better idea. Let's just put some fish back and then keep only a couple.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: