Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nuclearsteel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/11 15:39:35 (permalink)

Center Pin on the Yough

Decided to knock the dust of the center pin this morning and head down to the Yough to see if any trout are left. Never fished up in the mountains, so I decided to make the hour trek this AM and give it hell! Arrived at about 8am to find mist and about 50 degree F air temp...surprised to find a few other guys fishing for trout. Rigged up the Rainshadow and Islander with a 4 gram float and some maggots to start. First cast nailed a nice 14" brown...a few casts later saw the float goes down so I dropped the hammer again. This time I felt weight...it takes a decent fish to bend the 13' XST but after about a 3 or 4 minute battle I beached and relased a 24 to 26" Rainbow.

I switched to a peach trout bead and spiked the hook with a few maggots with a forcast of pain. Pain was indeed delieved...hooked and landed another 8 rainbows, all respectable size (12 to 14") with another beefy one (about 18 or 20") hitting the shore. At this point in time, about an hour or so had pasted, and I was becoming surrounded by Yinzers chucking spinners hoping to get in on the action. Saw one guy catch one. I moved down stream a bit to some white water I had been eying since I arrived. The first 2 drifts resulted in fish...the **** current changed then ruining my drift so I decided to move a few hundered yards down steam to a nice tail out.

Saw a fish surface while I was fording the river to the position I was eyeing. All hell broke loose and landed an easy 10 Rainbows(1 was a healty 15 or 16" beasty) and probably stung another 3 or 4. There was a crowd of Yinzers surrounding me in about 30 minutes with fly gear and spin gear...inquiring what I was using. I shared 'trout beads' with them and I just got a puzzled look. Left a little before 11am as it was getting hot and crowded!

Can't complain about a 20 trout day in September, 19 Rainbows, and 1 Brown. All fish were released.

32 Replies Related Threads

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/11 16:28:51 (permalink)
    thats a real nice day other than the yinzers...how far up the yough were ya...all the way by confluence??`

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/11 17:47:59 (permalink)
    flyway
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/11 19:49:28 (permalink)
    Waters awfully warm in the yough right now. Light tippets equal dead fish.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 07:12:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flyway

Waters awfully warm in the yough right now. Light tippets equal dead fish.

not so true up at the tailraces...

flyway
    Novice Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 07:49:09 (permalink)
    Bill, get a thermometer.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 09:33:44 (permalink)
    do you really think the water up near the confluence bridge is warm??? i bet not

LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 11:31:30 (permalink)
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?site_no=03081000

temps are fish-able through until the water warms during the day, if my calculations are right water temps for yesterday ranged from right around 64 degrees F to just over 70 degrees F...anything above 70 would be sketchy for the safety of the fish

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    Nuclearsteel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 13:03:25 (permalink)
    Your right...expect that wasn't where I was fishing. Where I was at the water was much much colder for some reason
    onestring
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 16:37:58 (permalink)
    the discharge at the yough dam is cold water very cold water
    flyway
    Novice Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 17:54:30 (permalink)
    The water at the tailraces is cold until the lake runs out of frsh water. That time is now. The outflow has been flowing around 70 degrees for some time now. Tailwater fish acclimated to cold releases dont tolerate 70 degree water very well.  If your fishing to keep and eat them then knock yourself out and go get them. If you're opinionated about bait fisherman and non-catch and release types then leave it alone for a while and fish downriver where temps are better.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/12 22:07:02 (permalink)

The water at the tailraces is cold until the lake runs out of frsh water. That time is now. The outflow has been flowing around 70 degrees for some time now. Tailwater fish acclimated to cold releases dont tolerate 70 degree water very well.  If your fishing to keep and eat them then knock yourself out and go get them. If you're opinionated about bait fisherman and non-catch and release types then leave it alone for a while and fish downriver where temps are better.

sorry i disagree...the water at the discharge is still much colder...55-60 no way 70...and how would temps downriver be colder...the sun starts beating on it and it warms as it flows downstream...the dam is DEEP at the suction for discharge...even now i bet its over 50' deep there...soo how would it be 70 deg.? i almost wanna drive up there and stick a thremometer in the water

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 09:50:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassboatbill

sorry i disagree...the water at the discharge is still much colder...55-60 no way 70...and how would temps downriver be colder...the sun starts beating on it and it warms as it flows downstream...the dam is DEEP at the suction for discharge...even now i bet its over 50' deep there...soo how would it be 70 deg.? i almost wanna drive up there and stick a thremometer in the water
    You don't need a thermometer.

USGS site says 19 degrees Celsius at the dam outlet tunnel that's 66.8 degrees fahrenheit.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=03077100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

down river a tad, nearer the mouth of the Casselman, 21.5 degrees celsius, that's 69 degrees F.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=03077500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 10:08:04 (permalink)

Flyway you are totally wrong with this information.

The further from the dam, the warmer the water is.  There really are no significant tributaries that cool it down that much below, although there are some, but I assure you the fish from the dam to the bridge are nowhere near stressed out.

Nuclearsteels story is also not BS in my opinion, it is actually quite believable. 

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 11:19:24 (permalink)
    if the water was too warm, why would the PAFBC and the other club stock a lot of adult trout every year at this time ?
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 13:54:34 (permalink)
    There really are no significant tributaries that cool it down that much below,

True statement...The casselman and LH are running a lot warmer than the yough, you can feel a huge difference when wading near the mouths

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 14:15:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LoganWade03

There really are no significant tributaries that cool it down that much below,

True statement...The casselman and LH are running a lot warmer than the yough, you can feel a huge difference when wading near the mouths

up to your nipples
    flyway
    Novice Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 17:24:17 (permalink)
    Forgot you guys are the pro's, and I'm sure you spend more time on the river than I do. First off the water is warm coming out of the lake,we have determined this via usgs website data. Secondly,due to the low flow of casselman and LH at night these tribs are cooling down nicely and allowing the Yough to cool down also. As the month progresses ambient air temps will allow the yough to cool as it flows northward below the casselman and LH. Lake temps will not cool down as quickly and as I have stated the warmest water on the yough will be immediately below the dam. As far as the fish commission not using sound scientific data to make stocking decisions...........
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 18:14:43 (permalink)
    flyway,

take you sound argument, and go shoot some geese.  dingus stinkfinger is very ashamed of you; wasting your time arguing on the internet.

Mercury Steelheading some weekend?
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 18:30:09 (permalink)

Forgot you guys are the pro's, and I'm sure you spend more time on the river than I do. First off the water is warm coming out of the lake,we have determined this via usgs website data. Secondly,due to the low flow of casselman and LH at night these tribs are cooling down nicely and allowing the Yough to cool down also. As the month progresses ambient air temps will allow the yough to cool as it flows northward below the casselman and LH. Lake temps will not cool down as quickly and as I have stated the warmest water on the yough will be immediately below the dam. As far as the fish commission not using sound scientific data to make stocking decisions...........

First off "the low flow" of these streams would produce minimal influence on the water temps in comparison to the water from the lake via the dam.  The casselman was warming a very small flow of the yough along the bank about 5 to 10 yards out.  Second, we are not talking about surface temps of the lake which are the ones that are mostly effected by the weather, we are talking about 120ft of water here dude, come on.  Sry man clearly you're the pro here and know when stocking times should be.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 20:16:28 (permalink)
    The water on the bottom of the lake will always be cold so surface temp has absolutely no connotation on water temperature discharging from the bottom of the lake.

Its really not rocket science.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/13 21:04:27 (permalink)
    Even though flyway is a terrible duck hunter in real life, I think he raises a halfway valid point.  Bear with me while I try to explain.

Its really not rocket science.

More like amateur meteorology.

do a 120 day on the water coming out of the dam...in the tunnel, nonetheless. 

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=120&site_no=03077100

is it the same temp year around?  Show anything interesting?

Still think it is 55 degrees in September?

not to be a d bag...but....
    I majored in meteorology for a couple of years before I realized I had no chance of getting a real job with out a doctorate.  There is a lag in the seasons.  It isn't the hottest part of the year in June is it?  Even though we have 20 hours of daylight. it takes a while to heat up the planet.  So the hottest part of the year is in august, a full couple of months after the longest day.  The reason is that the majority of the planet is water, and it takes a lot longer to heat up/cool down the water.

It has been a hot, dry summer.  Anybody see the water in friendsville or sang run?  Not a lot of flow.  Not nearly enough to replace the water that is released for the OP wanna be mountain hippies every weekend.  Just look at the lake, drawn down 30 feet.  That is a lot of water you are screwing with.  Combine that with 20 days in the 90's, and lots more in the upper reaches of the 80s, and you get a warm lake.  Sure it is cooler on the bottom, but it is starting to effect the water temps.  And probably will into the next month or so. 

the evenings in the mountains get pretty cold.  That means those creeks with very little water in them get cold faster, because of the lack of water to hold the temp pretty even.  The lake, being a big body of water, takes much longer to change. 

I would say this isnt a big issue yet, but it might become a situation in the next few weeks, if we dont get any rain. 

I think that is the point flynuts is trying to prove.  might not be the best time of year to fish the yough.  that is all.

on a side not, F the yough in confluence.  It will never be a great fishery, as long as the screw with the water every weekend.  imho it sucks, just like flyway does at bowhunting.  Not a bad biologist though.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/14 09:54:34 (permalink)
    Flyway and Tippecanoe are right. 

The Yough dam is the same every year.  Near 70 degree temps in late August/September at the outflow.  Every.  Single.  Year.
    albud1962
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/15 23:29:47 (permalink)

Bill, get a thermometer.

Flyway is right to some extent. I would take a thermometer. The lake is out of coldwater right now.  The reason why it may be colder downstream also has to do with the mixing that has to occur.  Thats why fishing the north side of the river is better for smallies and the south side is better for trout. The stocking occurs because the fish commission is trying to get rid of fish and there are a large number of meat fishermen who quickly remove the fish so there isn't a concern about trout mortality due to playing a fish too long. TU recently stocked a bunch of fish in the trophy section below ramcat via float stocking.
    flyingmoles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/16 07:03:53 (permalink)
    the water temp from the 381 bridge to the falls is cool enough to allow my friend and i to get 10 trout each. i felt like i was carp fishing though. every fish but 2 i caught were spotted before making any casts. granted none of these trout were very big. but it was nice to get out with the fly rod and catch a few.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/16 10:19:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: bassboatbill

You don't need a thermometer.

USGS site says 19 degrees Celsius at the dam outlet tunnel that's 66.8 degrees fahrenheit.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=03077100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

down river a tad, nearer the mouth of the Casselman, 21.5 degrees celsius, that's 69 degrees F.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=03077500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

The outlet tunnel is still water with little/no flow. The tunnel temp should not be confused with the submerged temp. That is why the water is much warmer there by the tunnel 'puddle'. It is generally only opened up in the winter sometimes after extreme runoff filling the lake or in the spring (and quite a site to see sometimes) The water coming out of the submerged discharge is definitely cold/colder than 70.
    There wouldn't be pens of trout there all year round raising fish if they would be in any danger due to temperature.

NOW GO FISH!!!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR BANNER DAY NUCLEARSTEEL!!!!
    Troutboy02
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/16 20:37:05 (permalink)
    Lets not forget that catching the fish stresses them. As other posters have noted, these fish will eat quite well in the high temps, which are just barely tolerable for trout most of the time. Stick a hook in their face, force them to fight for their life and then release them in water in the high 60's and you are asking for trouble. That is, if you care...

Right now, daytime temps at the discharge are hitting 21.5 degrees C which is around 71 degrees F. As a matter of fact, most of the gauges in the "trouty" stretch are doing the same thing right now.

I love the middle yough, but refuse to fish it after july for this reason. Having cool water from the dam buys us an extra couple of months of fishing, but why try to force things? What's wrong with catching smallies and leaving the trout alone until October?
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/17 03:26:16 (permalink)
    ok when is everyone going to take their PETA shirts off and just fish?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Troutboy02
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/17 08:36:28 (permalink)
    This has nothing to do with PETA...

tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Center Pin on the Yough 2010/09/17 09:17:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kyler16

ok when is everyone going to take their PETA shirts off and just fish?

Can you silk screen me one up?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: