lower river

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/11 12:40:52 (permalink)

lower river

I have been reading this and some other forum sites and feel I must speak about the DSR. I don't know anybody there and have no connection whatsoever to them-just to make the point.
  I started fishing there back when you parked out on the road and stumbled through the woods in the dark to get to the river.  No DSR then just more river.
  When  DSR started the one thing that made it unique was the manner in which they managed the fishermen. No huge crowds and some much needed control on the chasing,herding outright snagging and rudeness we all complain about. Remenber when DSR started snagging with treble hooks was legal on the upper river.
   Along with limited river availability and time DSR has raised its rates. Not surprising as what they offer is now more desirable. The ONLY thing other than quality of experience they really offer is a crack at the earliest fish.
 You used to  park most anywhere along the river and walk to it without being bothered. Now thats a  memory and a lots of water is almost out of reach- especially for us older folks who cant walk around like we used to. This has led to more crowding than ever in the more available areas. This causes the DSR to become much more visible.
   Thats not their fault. The only issue I do have with them is the sometimes over zealous reports of fish movement. Other than that we may as well grouse about river acess throughout the system which is generally less and less due to parking restrictions. I feel this is the real issue.
  They are killing the golden goose with these restrictions. There are not nearly as many fishermen as there used to be. Instead of attracting business the restrictions are hurting it.
  BUT DONT BLAME DSR -they havent changed, the environment for fishermen has.

17 Replies Related Threads

emal7717
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: lower river 2010/09/11 13:13:32 (permalink)
    I moved out this way from michigan about 2 years ago. There you dont see the snaggers and the nutbags. Mostly because of enforcement. once apon a time there were snaggers, but the law changed back in 1982. Then enforcement officers got a bonus if they caught snaggers.now the law is simple. You snag, you get fined $995, plus 250 a fish, they take your car or truck, and it costs you 1000 plus towing and storage to get it back!

It sent a clear message to those terrorists from Ohio that come up and steal our fish, deer, and women. Now fishing is great, people are polite, and the game wardens are assisted by those who see the wrongs taking place.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/11 17:37:22 (permalink)
    Hey wait a minute ---I said outright snagging--- I always give them a few passes with a fly before I get a little creative. And when I fish a piece of white water with tails showing there are just as many fish biting with the wrong end ( nasty arent they-what kind of cruel creature would bite with that) as with the front. ALL fly guys have some foul hooks the difference is we snap them off and go for the correct end of the fish.  I have stood there and tossed flies at large groups of unsuspecting fish-particularly later in the run- who are never going to chase a fly and bite again in their remaining time. At such times a very controlled drift is needed and I do it. The difference is I dont make believe i'm some kind of purist about it nor do I slash away hoping to hookup any way I can--and I always release whatever I catch.
     Last Wednesday they were hitting the fly as readily as any trout in undisturbed conditions with no one else around it was great.. I'm talking Kings here - not Hos and trout.
     I learned early on watching a bunch of joe orvis guys foul hooking 5 out of evry 6 they hooked up in a deep pool and then snapping off and keeping the HEAD HOOKS while down talking the spin guys around them for lifting.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/11 19:00:31 (permalink)
    Im not talking about the foul hooked fish, Im talking about those guys with 5' poles and weighted treble hooks as big around as your wrist. Im not a purist. I plunk and dunk with flies on noodle rod.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/11 19:27:45 (permalink)
    Right on-we all have to be honest here. In the past they allowed outright snagging with  treble hooks in the upper river. Much bigger runs of fish back then. Now thats thankfully a past era. You still see guys with the stiff rods yanking a single hook with about 10 pounds of weight through the pools though. Salt water guys can only compare it to snagging baitfish.
     Apparently recognizing the foul hook dillema its illegal to keep a foul hooked fish, the DSR officials are very adamant about this,at least they were a few years ago when I last fished there. If they caught a guy fishing like that on purpose they threw him out and I  agree with them.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 09:35:13 (permalink)
    I lived in Michigan in the middle 1980s when snagging, if not legal then, was certainly the way many were catching salmon.....Personally, since the fish are going to die anyway and it's a wasted resource at that point, a late season snagging period confined to the upper river doesn't really bother me....I'm sure the PETA folks would have a cow though.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 09:58:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist

I lived in Michigan in the middle 1980s when snagging, if not legal then, was certainly the way many were catching salmon.....Personally, since the fish are going to die anyway and it's a wasted resource at that point, a late season snagging period confined to the upper river doesn't really bother me....I'm sure the PETA folks would have a cow though.

Its all the problems that snagging brings with it, like the fist fights, the drinking, the lewd behavior and so much more. Michigan now doesn't plant as many fish, relying more on natural reproduction with the exception of the Atlantic Salmon. Though the fish are slightly smaller, they stay silver long after entering the rivers. also they are far more aggressive, and fight harder.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 10:04:41 (permalink)
    I saw snaggers on the Betsie last year....A couple Russian guys using weighted treble hooks...I'd never seen snagging before in person....I just kept on walking not in need of a direct confrontation, especially when it's two against one......I did notice the salmon on their stringers, they were definitely smaller fish than what I expected to see.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 10:13:22 (permalink)
    Hey Chartist, dont go PETA bashing- anybody who wants cows to wear diapers in the field is OK in my book-just another job for illegals as no American is going to change them-maybe they can figure out how to stop fish from pooping in the water.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 10:27:01 (permalink)
    I ran into some PETA types in Cleveland while fishing the Rocky river two years ago....When you go into the metro park, you'll see a lot of cars, but surprisingly, their owned by joggers and dog walkers, not fishermen....So, while rigging up in the parking lot, a lady says to me, do you think the fish like being caught.  I said, I don't know, but I bet they sure like it when I release them back into the river.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 12:04:32 (permalink)

I saw snaggers on the Betsie last year....A couple Russian guys using weighted treble hooks...I'd never seen snagging before in person....I just kept on walking not in need of a direct confrontation, especially when it's two against one......I did notice the salmon on their stringers, they were definitely smaller fish than what I expected to see.

I would be leary of the russians, they're from a small but growing population in detroit that took over the docks. connected to the russian mob. just call the DNR and let them deal with it! If you can get a plate and report them.              
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 12:07:18 (permalink)

I ran into some PETA types in Cleveland while fishing the Rocky river two years ago....When you go into the metro park, you'll see a lot of cars, but surprisingly, their owned by joggers and dog walkers, not fishermen....So, while rigging up in the parking lot, a lady says to me, do you think the fish like being caught.  I said, I don't know, but I bet they sure like it when I release them back into the river.

PETA is cool....PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS. I met some once protesting the Buck Pole at Jays sporting goods in Clair. County Sheriff arrested them, while everybody laughed at them.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/12 12:13:45 (permalink)
    I knew a PETA guy I used to work with-he used to pickup dead cats on the roads and "place them" in the grass along the roadway. I used to tell him I used them for frisbees and make comments about how the darned tails never seem to flatten out like the rest of the bodies. He would get all red and quiet.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/13 11:21:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

I knew a PETA guy I used to work with-he used to pickup dead cats on the roads and "place them" in the grass along the roadway. I used to tell him I used them for frisbees and make comments about how the darned tails never seem to flatten out like the rest of the bodies. He would get all red and quiet.

I bet he would get irate if I told him the best weapon I ever had for deer hunting was an old Chevy Truck.

hit a moose once with my bran new 93 Chevy 4x4 HD2500. totaled the truck. Called the State Police in St. Ignace, they told me to drag the 1500 pound moose in the ditch for the wolves to eat (Moose went into my buddies truck in 1/4s). Yes I eat road kill!

I asked the state police officer on the phone if they were going to come and do a police report! he laughed at me on the phone. Told me that if I wanted a report, to drive 150 miles there and get one myself, otherwise call a tow truck and my insurance company in the morning. Also told me that if they responded to every car deer accident then they would never have time to do anything else (Like eating donuts!).
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: lower river 2010/09/13 12:19:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey wait a minute ---I said outright snagging--- I always give them a few passes with a fly before I get a little creative. And when I fish a piece of white water with tails showing there are just as many fish biting with the wrong end ( nasty arent they-what kind of cruel creature would bite with that) as with the front. ALL fly guys have some foul hooks the difference is we snap them off and go for the correct end of the fish.  I have stood there and tossed flies at large groups of unsuspecting fish-particularly later in the run- who are never going to chase a fly and bite again in their remaining time. At such times a very controlled drift is needed and I do it. The difference is I dont make believe i'm some kind of purist about it nor do I slash away hoping to hookup any way I can--and I always release whatever I catch.
    Last Wednesday they were hitting the fly as readily as any trout in undisturbed conditions with no one else around it was great.. I'm talking Kings here - not Hos and trout.
    I learned early on watching a bunch of joe orvis guys foul hooking 5 out of evry 6 they hooked up in a deep pool and then snapping off and keeping the HEAD HOOKS while down talking the spin guys around them for lifting.

I've been fishing there since snagging was legal in the lower river and not the top.
    Disagree with your statement that they wouldn't hit again in their remaining time.
    I have had several near dead kings come to the surface to kill my fly before it could sink. I think some of those boys know their time is near and are ****ed as hell about it. Course they had no fight in them . Just slid them over along the surface like keeping a spring creek trout out of the weeds.
    OH and there is no reason to get creative if they don't bite. Find something that will.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/13 19:22:43 (permalink)
    I agree. I have had them hit my flies, and surprisingly when Im mooching cut bait. I learned this technique in the PacWest...Just watched In-Fishermen, and they were using Gulp Minnows and a bobber and killing them!
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: lower river 2010/09/13 23:08:32 (permalink)
    I'v been reading other forums on different reporting and discussion boards and the reports generally are not too encouraging. I think the guys on this one must be real fishermen as more action is reported in general and more detail is given as well.
     The numbers are coming sooner or later, good luck to all in the next few weeks. I'll be making 2 trips in the next 10 days or so. It should be getting better almost every day , I feel like a kid again and its kind of nice to be on this post with others who clearly feel it too.
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: lower river 2010/09/14 06:30:46 (permalink)
    the facts on the lower river i was up there thursday fri and sat morning below the ball park area thursday the fishing was great silver kings 2o to mid 30lbs all day long friday very slow not to many fish coming up friday late afternoon you had to dodge the fish coming up fresh as can be sat i saw three hook ups in the am on friday jerry (salmon king) fished in the am and left no fish to speak of the lower town pool was loaded with them but i am not into big crowds or snagging it seemed that the fish just stagged there until the nite and then moved up i heard the hatchery is filled already good luck and fish the upper river if you want a lot of fish and a lot of people
    semper fi
    Jump to: