Top end of the river

Author
3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/10 13:01:00 (permalink)

Top end of the river

Fished up top this morning for 4 hours, landed a nice fresh king that i didnt see till he came up shakeing his head with my fly in his mouth, saw another coho that i hooked but did not land and that was it. Two other guys in a 300 yard stretch hooked and land 1 king 1 coho but no other fish. Talked to two guides i know that were plugging and both with no fish but they did say they hammered them down low monday and tuesday. Had about 4 people ask me where the fish were cause its all over the internet that the river is loaded, oh well thats fishing

5 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Top end of the river 2010/09/10 14:34:23 (permalink)
    my father did 10 hook ups this morning in lower end but it has slowed alot. i would assume between ball park and pineville there are some special areas that are holding large pods of fish. maybe groups ranging from 3's to 30's maybe even 100 mark in certain spots spread out here and there. definitely enough water for the fish to run up just about any diversion or island side that gets good flow in base flow conditions. i'm heading up this afternoon. i plan on enjoying tomorow morning even if it's just a few hook ups. but hey, you never know,it could turn out hot. looking forward to some coho encounters... btw, all of the fish my father hooked this morning were bullets frsh out of the lake. i can't wait. i'll let you guys know
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Top end of the river 2010/09/10 14:38:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 3fan

Had about 4 people ask me where the fish were

Freezers,Fertlizer & the few remaing spread out!!!
    Thats early salmon.. But you never know with pacific salmon.. I always say it takes something to trigger large groups of salmon to move into streams.. Last week we got it..
    post edited by hot tuna - 2010/09/10 14:41:08

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Top end of the river 2010/09/10 14:42:29 (permalink)
    When they're horny they will come by the thousands,sex is hard to ignore,should be anytime now.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Top end of the river 2010/09/10 15:37:44 (permalink)
    Im sure I would have done better if I could have moved around a little but I put the king on a rope for my 72 year old neighbor, and im not walking up and down the river dragging a shark around, seen one guy walk past me the other day with one tied to the belt loop of his shorts, and he had sneakers on.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Top end of the river 2010/09/11 00:07:44 (permalink)
    My wife and I kayaked the river about a month ago. After 30 or so years of fishing there I had no idea how much water is between the metal bridges. Some of it is clearly hard to get to and little fished.  Now I know where they are for a day or two between the ballpark area and Tresel. Lots of slow well shaded  deeper runs in that area that would clearly allow  them to take it easy on their migration. Especially with little pressure.
    Jump to: