Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/09 09:34:39 (permalink)

Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds.

Does mmy little hunting stand now need the 100 inches of fl-or visible from all directions?

46 Replies Related Threads

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/11 20:19:15 (permalink)
    my understanding is you need it within 15'during the gen.firearm season only.Also I believe you must be wearing the required amount of orange while in the stand. sam
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/11 20:43:24 (permalink)
    TURKEY ====

Blinds: The use of turkey blinds is legal under the following definition:
    Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all man-made
    materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within
    the blind from an observer outside the blind. Artificial or manufactured
    turkey blinds consisting of all man-made materials means blinds must be
    constructed of plastic, nylon, canvas, cotton cloth, plywood or other manmade
    materials. Blinds made by piling rocks, logs, branches, etc. are
    unlawful. The blind must completely enclose the hunter on all four sides
    and from above to block the detection of movement within the blind.
    When fluorescent orange is required at a stationary calling location in
    fall seasons, at least 100 square inches must be displayed outside the
    blind and within 15 feet of the blind, visible 360 degrees.

DEER and BEAR ===
    Blinds: Blinds can be used for big game (see turkey section for specifics for

blinds while turkey hunting), however, a minimum of 100 square inches of

fluorescent orange material (orange alert band will suffice) must be displayed

within 15 feet of the blind and visible in a 360-degree arc during the

firearms deer and bear seasons.

I see nothing about wearing orange while IN a blind..
    once you step outside you would be moving and those rules would then apply

If you are in a tree stand the rules are different, you would have to have on orange while in the stand during bear and rifle deer seasson...

NOTICE there is a differnce between a hunting "stand" and a hunting "blind". In the title you wrote blind in the post you wrote stand.. there is a difference as discribed above for a blind...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/11 20:51:36
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 10:56:18 (permalink)
    Blind I beleave is considered by the PA.Game Com. a structure constructured of man made materials. Now
    I know of hundreds of blinds-wooden stands all over PA that would fall under this definition and have never seen
    one with Flor Orange displayed within 15' visible 360deg arc during firearm season. Some stands out there
    are quite large and go to the ground so fl or would have to be posted on all corners.
    I guess some company best gear up and produce some fl or somethings to attach to all sides of these hunting
    hides,no matter what you call them. They are man made! And the Game Com. will have the authority to pinch
    the occupant without the orange. A friend of mine said state highway floresent orange cones on the roof would
    work. Where can they be bought?
    Perhaps I am interpriting the law wrong, and getting paranoid. However when hunters were getting busted for
    not having their empty shell after shooting a game animal,and a lady had her home searched for her tweety bird
    I don't think The Game Com's law enforcement division will miss this one.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 12:00:49 (permalink)
    A friend of mine said state highway floresent orange cones on the roof would
    work. Where can they be bought?

You don't need to buy them.  They're all over the place. 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 14:41:32 (permalink)
    Let me try this again..

If you are hunting from a man-made structure that does NOT conceal you 100% from all 4 sides and above you are hunting from a "stand" and need to wear flo-=orange the whole time you are there....

If you are inside of a man-made structure and you CAN NOT be seen from outside or above you are in a blind...
    and you only need the 100 inches, 15 feet away... while you are in the blind 
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 20:51:20 (permalink)
    Doc, I can guarantee you , with 100% certainty that here in 1A.  Someone inside a blind made of man made materials without orange on would receive the maximum fine for improper orange requirements.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 21:55:08 (permalink)
    My little hunting shanties are four sided with a roof. When I am sitting inside you can only see my head.
    I wear my required FL. Or., however I worry about being pinched because my shanty is made of man made materials and
    because it somewhat" blocks the detection of movement within the blind". Those store bought blinds are not much
    different they have windows too. Could some Game Warden pinch me?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 23:19:13 (permalink)
    Doc, I can guarantee you , with 100% certainty that here in 1A. Someone inside a blind made of man made materials without orange on would receive the maximum fine for improper orange requirements.

If the blind meets the requirement above.. I'd see him in court....he does not have a chance at winning...

Who is the WCO for the area you are talking about.. ???
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 23:28:16 (permalink)
    Treesparrow, you said you wear your flo orange, so no matter what --- you would be legal

adding a band around a tree would only make you more safe... especially if it is hard to see you...

In bear and deer season IMHO no matter the law, I would think a person would want his orange on even inside a blind.. you never know what could or would happen that you'd want to run or go outside fast, the blind would hide the flo orange anyhow...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/12 23:47:22 (permalink)
    NEVER MIND.. I'M WRONG =====

I just made a phone call ----

I got it straightened out .. and I was wrong ... but not alone in what I thought the law was...

While turkey hunting in the spring you do not need the orange because you are stationary , so the blind really has nothing to do with it... if stationary = all you need is the orange band 15 away..

In bear and rifle deer season.. the must wear orange at all times while hunting takes presidence... you must have the orange on no matter what or where you are hunting from... legally even from inside your house or cabin ....

AT ALL TIMES... period...

sorry --

I mis-understood what I thought the book said or did not say...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/12 23:48:44
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 01:35:50 (permalink)
    +1 what he said
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Doc, I can guarantee you , with 100% certainty that here in 1A.  Someone inside a blind made of man made materials without orange on would receive the maximum fine for improper orange requirements.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 01:46:13 (permalink)
    Are you saying it legal to hunt from inside your house or cabin. Define hunting. Is walking up my driveway carrying an unloaded or loaded gun from Sept to Feb hunting?
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

NEVER MIND.. I'M WRONG =====

I just made a phone call ----

I got it straightened out .. and I was wrong ... but not alone in what I thought the law was...

While turkey hunting in the spring you do not need the orange because you are stationary , so the blind really has nothing to do with it... if stationary = all you need is the orange band 15 away..

In bear and rifle deer season.. the must wear orange at all times while hunting takes presidence... you must have the orange on no matter what or where you are hunting from... legally even from inside your house or cabin ....

AT ALL TIMES... period...

sorry --

I mis-understood what I thought the book said or did not say...

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 13:22:00 (permalink)
    well,??????????????????????????
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 13:28:12 (permalink)
    Here is my question. While hunting deer in firearms season in PA in my 6'x6' elevated, roofed, wooden, tin roofed,
    slidding windowed, carpeted,hunting shanty,with the required Fl.Or. on my body, be pinched because I do
    not have the required 100sq/in Fl Or posted visible 360deg????? Would or could an officer say my shanty is a blind
    and fine me?

Doc My shanty sure comes close to the Game Com definition of a blind.The only criteria not filled is that most
    of the time my head with Fl Or would be visible through a window.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 14:04:47 (permalink)
    tree....

that would be an interesting situation, if you are that concealled it may be worth a buck or two and buy a flo orange ribbon and run it around a nearby tree... then there would be no way you could get pinched.. a 100 inches is not very much...

As for hunting inside a cabin or out your bed-room window... where does it say it is not legal... ????

the only thing I see about buildings is laws about safety zones and if you have written permission from the owner you can ignore them....

I have hunted off the back porch of a cabin with owners permission , sat with my back against an exterior wall with owners permission. and to my knowledge have broken no laws by doing so...

I do know a guy that got "busted" by the local WCO for shooting a groundhog off his back porch because he did not have a flo-orange hat on at the time though ..

You probably think it is illegal to PARK along a SGL road on SGLs and sit with my back against my truck and hunt deer out in front of me on the SGLs too ....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/13 14:11:51
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 14:19:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: treesparrow

Here is my question. While hunting deer in firearms season in PA in my 6'x6' elevated, roofed, wooden, tin roofed,
    slidding windowed, carpeted,hunting shanty,with the required Fl.Or. on my body, be pinched because I do
    not have the required 100sq/

And one wonders why many have such a dim view of our WCO's..
    Only a P R I C K of a WCO would right that ticket....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 14:29:12 (permalink)
    Bings...

The rest of the story.. it was his next-door neighbor.. so maybe there is more to it.. I just wanted to point out the law... there was nothing wrong with shooting off his porch or he would have got fined for that too... maybe a bad example..

but I will say the WCO has lightened-up the past few years
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/13 14:31:30
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 14:55:35 (permalink)
    In my shanty the wood goes to the ground I would have to post all 4 corners, and I have 6 shanties.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 15:55:52 (permalink)
    ????????????????

HUHhhhhhhhhhhhhh ??????????

Just find a tree 15 feet away and wrap the ribbon around it, it's that simple....

????????????????
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/13 23:48:08 (permalink)

tree....

that would be an interesting situation, if you are that concealled it may be worth a buck or two and buy a flo orange ribbon and run it around a nearby tree... then there would be no way you could get pinched.. a 100 inches is not very much...

As for hunting inside a cabin or out your bed-room window... where does it say it is not legal... ????
    Define hunting. Is walking up my driveway or on my property, carrying an unloaded or loaded gun from Sept to Feb hunting?

the only thing I see about buildings is laws about safety zones and if you have written permission from the owner you can ignore them....

I have hunted off the back porch of a cabin with owners permission , sat with my back against an exterior wall with owners permission. and to my knowledge have broken no laws by doing so...

I do know a guy that got "busted" by the local WCO for shooting a groundhog off his back porch because he did not have a flo-orange hat on at the time though ..

You probably think it is illegal to PARK along a SGL road on SGLs and sit with my back against my truck and hunt deer out in front of me on the SGLs too ....

Define hunting. Is walking up my driveway carrying an unloaded or loaded gun from Sept to Feb hunting?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/14 10:01:04 (permalink)
    This has been over-discussed on this site before .. but here it is one more time..

webster = To search for or follow after, as game or wild animals; to chase; to pursue for the purpose of catching or killing; to follow with dogs or guns for sport or exercise; as, to hunt a deer.

Pa Game Commission.. Game and Wildlife Code =

Any act or furtherance of taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or the property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or aiding, abetting, or conspiring with another person in that purpose.

so if you are ""walking up my driveway carrying an unloaded or loaded gun from Sept to Feb""

it would depend on what your purpose was for doing that...

It could be hunting and it could not be... would depend on your reasoning (purpose)...

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/14 12:18:08 (permalink)
    Or how big of a p r i c k the WCO wanted to be that day....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/14 13:45:20 (permalink)
    Your right Bings that's what I'm thinking. There are just too many loop holes in the Pa game laws. As far as apealing a citation in a small northern town, it's a big joke. Too many of these WCO and deputys are out of control.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/17 17:56:08 (permalink)
    when was the last time you saw a wco back in the deep woods, "never"....they are afraid someone might mistake them for a game animal..if you hunt 100 yards from the road, then do the orange..
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/17 21:16:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 270wbmag

when was the last time you saw a wco back in the deep woods, "never"....they are afraid someone might mistake them for a game animal..if you hunt 100 yards from the road, then do the orange..

You are right that most hunters don’t see a WCOs back in the woods or at least know they have. Most WCOs see lots of hunters far back in off the roads every year though; the hunters just don’t know they have been watched or perhaps even quietly checked out by a WCO.

I watch lots of hunters every year that have no idea anyone is watching them. I also talk with dozens upon dozens of hunters back in the woods every year. Most of them never find out they have been quietly checked by a WCO. As I chat with them I am also taking a look to determine that the license is there. If everything seems to be in order and I don’t detect anything suspicious the hunter never knows I was checking on them. If something keys me that there might be a problem I identify myself and do a more thorough check.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/17 21:31:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: treesparrow

Does mmy little hunting stand now need the 100 inches of fl-or visible from all directions?

During any season that requires a hunter to be wearing a specific amount of orange you have to wear that amount even if you are I in blind. If says that you don’t need the orange while stationary and only need it while moving then you can take the orange off while you are in the blind.

Tree stands or hunting shanties are the same as a blind and require the 100 square inches of orange to be posted within 15 feet and outside the blind so it is visible from 360 degrees if the hunter is not normally visible in the stand or structure. Of course the law requiring the posting of orange also includes the portable blinds hunters are using. If the stand is something where the hunter and his orange are visible from 360 degrees then the law does not require them to post additional orange beyond the legal amount they are wearing.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
    dave15012
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/17 23:31:50 (permalink)
    I also have observed and checked many hunters as far as a mile off the road, made a few suggestion, issued some warnings and helped three guys drag thier 3 does (in buck season) to thier truck, then called for ours to come down the road and assist with our introduction. DWCO Westmoreland Co.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/18 10:20:34 (permalink)
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Flor-Orange, Manmade Blinds. 2010/09/18 15:05:52 (permalink)

Pa Game Commission.. Game and Wildlife Code =

Any act or furtherance of taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal propert......

so if you are ""walking up my driveway carrying an unloaded or loaded gun from Sept to Feb""

it would depend on what your purpose was for doing that...

Not True Doc.... Here is the cut and paste from the wildlife code...

"Sec. 2301. Prima facie evidence of hunting.

(a) General rule. - For the purpose of this title, any one of the following acts shall constitute prima facie evidence of hunting:

(1) Possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, raptor, trap or other device of any description usable for the purpose of hunting or taking game or wildlife.

(2) Possession of the carcass or any part or parts of any game or wildlife.

(3) Pursuing game or wildlife in any manner prohibited by this title or commission regulation.

(b) Lawful cooperation or assistance. - Notwithstanding any other provision of this title to the contrary, any person who has lawfully taken the bag or season limit for a particular species of game or wildlife or any person who meets the requirements of section 2701(c) (relating to license requirements) may aid, assist, abet or cooperate in any manner specified by this title or commission regulations with another person who is engaged in any lawful activity permitted by this title or the regulations of the commission. "

Section 1 finds the man walking up his driveway guilty instantly the way I read it. That in no way means I agree with it, but that's what it says......

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: