Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams

Author
cshroads
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/08 12:12:00 (permalink)

Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams

I plan on doing some flyfishing/spin fishing from my belly boat during the early run. In previous years, I have not done that well. I am mostly a stream fly fisherman in the Ohio streams but would like to know more about fishing in the mouths out of my belly boat. I was one of those guys standing among the 150 guys at trout run waiting for a bit with my green powerbait. I witness a guy a few years ago in a belly boat fishing in front of trout run having a field day. His pole was bent over all day catching steelhead. Therefore, I would like to gain some more knowledge on this particular style of fishing

8 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/08 16:37:51 (permalink)
    Stay far enough away from shore to avoid all those "accidental" casting accidents. You will not be popular.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 07:03:41 (permalink)
    Maybe I was that guy you saw...I've been doing it for years.

I definitely try my best to be aware of the casting limit of the shore fisherman. Most of them are fishing within a couple rod lengths of where they are standing as that is where most of the fish are - close to shore. But there is always someone casting a spoon or bait as far as they can.

With that said, there is a seam you can fish between the shore fisherman and the boats that are trolling, or sometimes anchored.

I use a floating line with about a 6-ft straight leader. The water is very shallow (about 6-ft where you'll be fishing). And I mostly troll or cast streamers. If you're a bait fisherman, that will work and then you can just stay stationary out in the water in a safe place.

I've had some good days, but I know I don't catch as many as the shore fisherman (where most of the fish seem to be), but the trade off is a free running fish without worrying about "fish left - way left". I'd rather catch 1 or 2 out from shore than 10 shoulder-to-shoulder.

I've had a few occasions where shore fisherman were rude, but for the most part I stay out of their range, and the few times lines have crossed, most are understanding and patient.
    post edited by imrinc - 2010/09/09 07:06:50

North Platte Bum
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 07:06:11 (permalink)
    Maybe I was that guy you saw...I've been doing it for years.

I definitely try my best to be aware of the casting limit of the shore fisherman. Most of them are fishing within a couple rod lengths of where they are standing as that is where most of the fish are - close to shore. But there is always someone casting a spoon or bait as far as they can.

With that said, there is a seam you can fish between the shore fisherman and the boats that are trolling, or sometimes anchored.

I use a floating line with about a 6-ft straight leader. The water is very shallow (about 6-ft where you'll be fishing). And I mostly troll or cast streamers. If you're a bait fisherman, that will work and then you can just stay stationary out in the water in a safe place.

I've had some good days, but I know I don't catch as many as the shore fisherman (where most of the fish seem to be), but the trade off is a free running fish without worrying about "fish left - way left". I'd rather catch 1 or 2 out from shore than 10 shoulder-to-shoulder.

I've had a few occasions where shore fisherman were rude, but for the most part I stay out of their range, and the few times lines have crossed, most are understanding and patient.

North Platte Bum
    cshroads
    New Angler
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 07:18:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advise. Maybe you was the guy a saw. It was a few years back. Question: When you fish out of you bellie boat do you mostly fish in from of Trout Run or do you venture off at some other steam mouths at Goffrey and some of the mile streams?? I guess you have to be at the right place at right time. It seems like Trout Run is fickel. Some days the fish there on are fire and other days nothing. What water temp do you like to fish there at. Thanks for you help. Curt (from Beaver Falls, PA)
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 07:39:22 (permalink)
    I mostly fish off Trout Run because I am lazy - I live just off Rt. 98.

I think fishing that way would be equally effective off the other stream mouths. I tried Walnut once, but it was pretty choppy and lots of boats in and out, though I stayed east of the mouth.

Best conditions are south wind, flat lake at early morning. By 8 to 8:30 the best fishing is done. I do catch them throughout the day as the water cools into October and November (I tubed the day after Thanksgiving one year). If you can catch a calm drizzly day, you can get them all day long!

North Platte Bum
    cshroads
    New Angler
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 08:12:06 (permalink)
    Being a local to the area, I bumped into another gentleman who fishes from a bellie boat who lives in the area as well. I don't know his name but I think he is employeed as a dentist who has a office in town.

As you know, as the season progresses the days get very limited on when you can get on the lake front. However, I would think that if you catch a day later in the season with a south wind, the fish ought to be stacked in there. Do you strickly strip streamers?? I have seen guys using single eggs and fishing with a float six feet in front of them doing pretty well??
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/09 19:16:21 (permalink)
    I'm pretty much a streamer guy....they hit 'em so very hard!

North Platte Bum
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Flyfishing/spin fishing from belly boat at mouths of streams 2010/09/11 08:16:19 (permalink)
    Watch a kastmaster dont hit you in the eye.
    Jump to: