Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/07 05:54:25 (permalink)

Doe tags early this year

Was awarded 2 for 1A and 1 for 1B Received 1B a week ago and then received both the 1A's on this past Saturday. This is the earliest I got tags in quite a few years. lately I have been getting my tags days before archery season. reset some stands over the weekend and it's looking good.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT

33 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3532
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/07 12:08:15 (permalink)
    I have three for 2A and one for 2B.  Have had them all for a couple of weeks now.  Was checking out a couple of new spots in 2B this weekend.  Seen some deer but huntable spots were tough to come by. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/07 15:00:00 (permalink)
    Remember, we're applying earlier than ever now. I got a 2C and a 2A a couple weeks ago,and bought my 2B at the courthouse last week.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/07 20:11:37 (permalink)
    they cashed both my checks but havn't got anything in the mail yet
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/07 21:23:49 (permalink)
    Received both my 2D tags last week, going to the courthouse tomorrow to pick up five 2B tags, can't wait to start mowing.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 01:10:44 (permalink)
    "harvesting" sounds more ethical now days.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 05:17:11 (permalink)
    Yes INDEED BL there are way to many doe where I hunt!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should find a place to hunt that has same kind of numbers doe TO HARVEST

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 07:40:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpms

I have three for 2A and one for 2B.  Have had them all for a couple of weeks now.  Was checking out a couple of new spots in 2B this weekend.  Seen some deer but huntable spots were tough to come by. 

Not to single you out DP but right there is the problem with the deer herd..
    You have 5 tags to fill..
    Does one actually need to kill and eat 5 deer a year ??
    Miss the old days with one and done.......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4927
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 07:48:14 (permalink)
    I agree with you Bings.

This is the first time I have EVER sent for a bonus tag.  And the only reason I did it was because my neighbor, who is a truck farmer, is getting eaten out of house and home and asked me to help him out by harvesting a doe to reduce the number.  He doesn't trust others to be shooting on his ground.  I will help him out since he let's me train my dogs on his ground.   If I harvest a doe on his gorund, I will also give it to him.  He couldn't kill a deer if you le tone loose in aphone booth with him.

The only reason I could see for 5 tags was if one wanted to hunt several WMU's (I can walk into 3 different WMU's from my house and not get winded) and have the option of harvesting a deer no matter which one they were in -- as long as there was a certain restraint number that meant once I killed X number, I stop, even if there are tags left.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 07:54:26 (permalink)
    Therein lies the problem with buying doe tags and burning them . The PGC will just issue more the next year and time has proven that you can always find someone who is willing to buy them up and shoot as many deer as they can just because they can.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3532
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 07:58:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Not to single you out DP but right there is the problem with the deer herd..
    You have 5 tags to fill..
    Does one actually need to kill and eat 5 deer a year ??
    Miss the old days with one and done.......

Antlerless tags are there for a reason.  The PGC expects hunters to buy them and try to fill them.  If I buy one tag and someone else buys the other four, does anything change.  That is a different discussion though. 

To answer your inquiry, I eat two deer a year if I am lucky enough to fill two tags.  If I take more than two, I usually have one person that I will pay for the processing and give the meat to this person in need.  More than three, they get donated to Hunters Sharing the Harvest. 

I have intentions on filling them all, but rarely do.  Also, I do not shoot does where deer numbers are hurting.  Actually, I don't hunt where deer numbers are hurting. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/09/08 08:13:31

My rifle is a black rifle
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 08:44:38 (permalink)
    I don't hunt where deer numbers are hurting.

+1

That's says it all right there !!!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4032
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 10:05:06 (permalink)
    Yep, plenty of areas here in the SW, esp. Allegheny CO. that still need the herd severely curtailed but, there are also some areas that are hurting for deer numbers as well. You just need to hunt smart and only take the doe from the areas that need knocked back still (mainly areas surrounding the city itself and all the county parks). WMA guys get many tags but they have a hard time keeping the numbers down in the parks.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 10:46:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

Yes INDEED BL there are way to many doe where I hunt!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should find a place to hunt that has same kind of numbers doe TO HARVEST

was talking about Moses.. what the hell is that attack? "maybe you should find a place to hunt..." Was I saying anything about not having a place to hunt, or go to, or complain, or ****, or anything about not getting a deer?

No.

I just have grown up from saying "slay" "mow" "wack and stack" all of those terms, I just dont think its neccessary to have over kill no matter who or how much you can consume. I believe it's all about doing whats best for the future and for the herd.

If you want to brag about the numbers you see, the numbers you get to boost your own ego, I guess that's fine..just don't do it to me.

I purchase doe tags, do I use them? Not always. Last year i had 3 bought. Filled? Zero..why? One, I harvested a buck, and two I hunt out of state and shot a doe. I did not need another deer. Nor did I see to much of a over populated area.

This year I have 2 of the same wmu doe tags..I may use one, maybe two. See whats out there and see what comes my way.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 10:47:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Therein lies the problem with buying doe tags and burning them . The PGC will just issue more the next year and time has proven that you can always find someone who is willing to buy them up and shoot as many deer as they can just because they can.

I don't think they increased doe tags for the 2010 season, I see your point though.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 14:28:16 (permalink)
    Just killing deer and giving them away is almost sillier yet.(unless it's to the landowner)..
    Just my opinion....I don not think ANY hunter needs to kill 4-5-6 deer..

I realize you pay attention way more than the average hunter, DPMS.
    You probably harvest more responsibly than most...
    But if you can get those tags so can the rest.
    They I can guarantee you will not be as responsible and will fill every with the last doe in the county if need be..

Not every tag has to be filled....Gluttony.....
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/09/08 15:17:19

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 17:11:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

I agree with you Bings.

+2
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 17:59:35 (permalink)
    Why is it silly to give a couple of deer to someone who cannot hunt any more due to their health or to give a couple to someone who does not have the time to hunt because they are working two jobs?

The areas I hunt are loaded with deer, my buddies and I have been harvesting numbers like this for years,and every year we still see boat loads of deer. Why not do something we enjoy and help someone out at the same time? What is the difference between doing this and going out on lake erie a couple times a week and loading a cooler full of eyes all summer long? If you do it legally,are not exhausting the resource and not wasting the meat I see no difference.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 20:23:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tull66

ORIGINAL: DarDys

I agree with you Bings.

+2

+3
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 20:37:10 (permalink)
    Another one in agreement with Bings.

I am sick of tired of hearing slobs dropping deer and looking around to say "Anyone want this? I don't know what the truck to do with it since I have 4 in the freezer already". About the same as the guy up the road who shoots 4-5 bb a year since he can't tell the difference between a fawn and an adult doe.

If you don't want it and you don't have any plans to do anything with it, why the hell are you shooting them, especially in some of the areas that are in trouble???

I guess I was just brought up differently and learned to only take what I can reasonably eat. Since there are 2 of us, we eat 2 deer a year so that is what I typically shoot.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/08 23:18:31 (permalink)
    I get three doe tags every year. But, in my entire life, I've only taken more than one deer in a year twice. And one of those times one of the deer was a buck. I only get so many so I have more options on where to hunt. I dont intend to fill them all. So, you cant just assume that if somebody gets a bunch of tags, that they are gonna kill a bunch of deer.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 05:39:12 (permalink)
    BL I just started this thread about getting tags early. Then you make a smart arse comment about HARVEST!!! You think I have to boost my EGO **** not quite.For as I have NO EGO! I only take what I need for table fair no more no less. ( Nor did I see to much of a over populated area.) Then why buy TWO tags for the same WMU if you say that area was not over populated last year? It surely did not baby boom since then Did it? I agree overkill is not good for the deer herd in certain WMU'S Well Good Luck and be safe out there Dave

tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 06:24:43 (permalink)

For as I have NO EGO!

Might want to explore the possibility of a name change?

J/K!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 08:08:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad
    So, you cant just assume that if somebody gets a bunch of tags, that they are gonna kill a bunch of deer.

I generally get 4 tags a year and have never filled more than two. Not because of lack of opportunity but desire to kill more than I'll use. If alot of guys around me get one and I shoot two, sometimes I give one to a friend that doesn't hunt. If someone has issue with that..take a hike.

I have a few buddies that have to fill every tag they get. Like 7 or 8. For me to tell them not to would be along the same lines as expecting them to pass on small legal bucks. That's not right..it's legal so as you please. While I don't see a need to shoot more than 2, some do, and they eat all of them.

Two years ago, the one guy saw a total of 3 deer in the entire month of October while hunting everyday and was being mr. ****y pants. I told him maybe he shouldn't have shot so many the prior year. He was not too happy with me.

dpms knows what he's doing. I am a bit surprised that so many folks are picking on what he wrote. He doesn't come across as a guy that needs to fill every tag but just wants to hunt different areas, and maybe flintlock season. I make sure I have a tag every year for flintlock and often don't even carry one.

There are consequences for our actions and that is why I now have very few areas that I'm willing to shoot a doe.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2010/09/09 08:10:10

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 15:05:23 (permalink)
    You can kill as many as you want to within the law..
    I'll just never agree with a handful of tags is all...

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 18:52:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You can kill as many as you want to within the law..
    I'll just never agree with a handful of tags is all...

And that's exactly what I'll do.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/09 19:15:02 (permalink)

BL I just started this thread about getting tags early. Then you make a smart arse comment about HARVEST!!! You think I have to boost my EGO **** not quite.For as I have NO EGO! I only take what I need for table fair no more no less. ( Nor did I see to much of a over populated area.) Then why buy TWO tags for the same WMU if you say that area was not over populated last year? It surely did not baby boom since then Did it? I agree overkill is not good for the deer herd in certain WMU'S Well Good Luck and be safe out there Dave

Hardly would say me posting "harvesting sounds more ethical", a smart****comment....

it wasnt even directed towrads you............

i hunt all over the WMU the places i chose to hunt last year do not have a strong herd. places i have hunt do have a strong herd. (and yes its in the same WMU folks.) thats why i get two every year for it, in case i decide to hunt there. i just usually dont have good buck luck there even though i see them around. im referring to archery season.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/10 05:22:20 (permalink)
    BL Yeah I see that my bad. Tull my srceem is a inside joke and has NOTHING to do with EGO LOL

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/11 22:50:48 (permalink)
    Pa. wants us all to be doe huners,some do and some don't. I have no trouble seeing 80 deer or more in 2 week rifle season,so I generally shoot 2 does late in the second week,if I'm lucky to kill a buck in bow or rifle season I still will kill one doe.To each his own,if everybody use better jugdement on taking deer it would help,like passing buttons(if you know it's a button)and passing on doe's in less populated areas.I've passed on quite a few small bucks since the AR started.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doe tags early this year 2010/09/12 00:48:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bull Lifter

... the places i chose to hunt last year do not have a strong herd. places i have hunt do have a strong herd.

Bull Sifter?  I'm sortin' thru the BS....help me out.
    Whaddaya tryin' to say?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: