Mini Foo Jigs

Author
SpringChrome
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/05 11:13:19 (permalink)

Mini Foo Jigs

Beginner Steelheader here. I got some mini foo jigs and plan on using them under a float. My question is do i have to put on a split shot or two to keep the jig down or is 1/64oz enough to use w/ out weight under a float. Any meaningful advise would be helpful as this year I am taking my 10 year old son up to Erie during my annual trip and would like to see him get land a steelhead.

Thanks in advance.

16 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 11:18:13 (permalink)
    I would put atleast a few on to keep them down and the float loaded for a strike. If the waters low i would opt to keep them up higher and swim the jig to give it some action. I prefer marabou jigs as they have more action but alot of fish get caught on mini foos.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 11:49:47 (permalink)
    I personaly would not use the Mini-Foos that have the heavy hooks & are marked for Steelhead I believe that the smaller hooks work better & as long as you don't use heavy line or try to horse them in, the reg.hooks work fine. I personaly like to tip them with maggots but have done well with-out them also.Normaly the water is too low for splitshot in my opinion,but whaatever works for you.Also keep changing colors til you see what they want. sam
    chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 14:51:06 (permalink)
    A black mini foo tipped with grubs under a float is a fav down on the wall. I don't add spit shot unless the current is stiff. You want it straight down.
    onestring
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 14:56:26 (permalink)
    get some sucker spawns fish under a float with a lil shot bout a foot up from the spawn no weight with the foo
    FleaFlicker11
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 15:31:09 (permalink)
    tip them with a maggot/grub, some of my buddys do that and catch them  but i have never tried using them.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/05 23:18:28 (permalink)
    also, you can try tippin em with a minnow.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/06 11:25:39 (permalink)
    If the mini-foo doesn't work - try a trout magnet!
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/06 16:31:52 (permalink)
    mini foo tipped with lead and ripped across the stream?
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 10:52:13 (permalink)
    Flashabou/Marabou jigs are the way to go when the water is low and clear.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 11:09:06 (permalink)
    All good advice, they (jigs) have their time and place and can be deadly at times.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 15:06:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

If the mini-foo doesn't work - try a trout magnet!

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 16:46:18 (permalink)
    To each his own....I personally like the bucktail/flash combination simply because its worked great for me over the years. And I hate working with the marabou since I tie my own....Mini Foo can't hold a hat to guys who can really tie a sweet jig!
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 21:49:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

To each his own....I personally like the bucktail/flash combination simply because its worked great for me over the years. And I hate working with the marabou since I tie my own....Mini Foo can't hold a hat to guys who can really tie a sweet jig!

so how about a pic?
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 22:23:50 (permalink)
    yeah, any jig will catch you fish when the holes are stacked up. Exposed hooks are the best way to snag them all in the back and tail, just ask the fly fishermen. Or better yet, when you get up there, look at the number of flies snagged and broken off in their backs.....

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/07 22:27:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

yeah, any jig will catch you fish when the holes are stacked up. Exposed hooks are the best way to snag them all in the back and tail, just ask the fly fishermen. Or better yet, when you get up there, look at the number of flies snagged and broken off in their backs.....

but glo-bugs on their dorsal fin make them easier to see!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9698
    RE: Mini Foo Jigs 2010/09/08 10:09:50 (permalink)
    Here's my take SpringChrome -

I haven't put much time in the past 5 years chasing steel, but did a good bit prior.  Here are some basics that have treated me pretty well.  Finding the spots the active ones are hiding and getting some shoulder room, you are on your own.  If you happen to find some, please PM me...

If the current is pretty good, add some weight.  Not so much that the float is barely visible.  Use the smallest split shots, and add one at a time.  You only need the 1/2" - 3/4" or so, foam floats with plastic pin centers.  If the float stops or makes a slight bob, set the hook.  It is better to set the hook with nothing hitting it, than wait for it to go under like a bluegill takes it.  They usually don't bite that way, although sometimes do.  Most of the time, it is a quick check to see if it is food, feel the hook and instantly spit out.  For your boy, if fishing with lighter line, have him prepared to immediately losen his drag for the initial run.  Not too light though, but a fresh fish will snap 4lb or 6lb line on a conventional 6lb rod in about a second, a bit more time for fly/noodle rod, giving some play.  Best bet is to understand where a safe setting is on yours and your boy's drag, maybe practice in your yard a few days before.  A little less tight than you likely would for regular trout/bass fishing, not too light, since you still need some stiffness to set the hook.  As mentioned before, these small jigs will straighten from the force these fish put on them.  Adding grubs is always a good idea, although, there are times when they don't want them on the hook, so try both.

As mentioned, stock up on some sucker spawn and some others that seem to work (fished rather similar, but trial and error are usually the best way to figure them out); wooley buggers, clouser minnows, muddler minnows, egg sacks, minnows, rubber trout worms, (various colors for each) ect.

One thing that I have found, if you are going to fish the lake, I size up a little on line.  Mostly for the weight of the lures thrown.  A KO Wobbler or Little Cleo will go 30-40 yards further on 4lb line, although usually with 10' of broken line attached...  I'll size up to 8lb or 10lb for this type of fishing (usually have a seperate reel or rod).  Although, if they are taking to the jigs in the open water, then the smaller diameter works better (atleast for casting). 

The longer noodle/fly rods are great for the Erie tribs, since the streams are rather narrow, and instead of actually casting, you swing your baits (like a cane pole).  They probably aren't the best choice for casting heavy spoons (needless to say, casting a spoon with a flyrod would be almost impossible, and good chance of breaking the rod).  Like most fishing, you can get away with fishing a standard medium weight spinning combo, but you could put yourself at an advantage with different type of gear for different type of fishing.

Good luck.  I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things.  At least one trip this year for sure.
    Jump to: