September 1'st

Author
eye crosser
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/27 16:50:05 (permalink)

September 1'st

Remember folks goose season starts the 1'st.  Be careful out there.

17 Replies Related Threads

58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 07:20:07 (permalink)
    I think you need to be mroe carefull out there than us fishermen. You have the gun...and you need to watch where you are shooting. I went to Clear lake last year fishing on the first day of goose.....what a freakin mess. People shooting everywhere and not many of the following the laws. If I'm in my boat...goose or no goose.....don't shoot my direction. Just because you have a gun and cute little decoys does not mean you own the water. You my friend need to shoot towards the sky, not in the water. Also, you goose hunters need to pick up after yourselves....tires of seeing shot gun shells littering the water.

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 08:23:38 (permalink)
    Had to laugh at this post. My friends and I all went to PYme on year on the opening day. We learned really quickly that the best place to be was in the middle of the lake! We didn't know it was goose season. And the geese weren't stupid; there must have been 300 in a small bay behind one of the little islands in the middle of the lake. I guess you couldn't hunt from the island.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 09:37:33 (permalink)
    Sad part is...I am an avid goose hunter. I just think a lot of the hunters need to get a refresher on Hunting 101.....If I am in a boat, don't shoot my direction. I have no problem confronting a hunter 1 on 1....gun or no gun. It's not like they are going to shoot me (there probably are a few)...but if me and my kid are out in the boat and someone shoots over our heads or in out direction, I have a real problem with that. I have also picked up shell casings that someone left in the water.....drove my boat right through their decoys and handed them back to them. I was a police officer for 30+ years in both Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, I am not afraid of a guy with a gun.....not that it makes a difference, but I can handle my own (not like I could 20 years ago LOL).

I also had a confrontation with a gentleman at clear lake a couple years ago (he is a member of this board) that likes to use his trolling motor to chase the flocks and stand up and unload on them. Funny parts is, I called the game commission and they just got a chuckle out of it and said it happens all the time. I'm sure that some of you know the game commissioner that patrols Clear lake...speaks for itself.

We are all sportsmen of some sorts, we need to watch out for each other, whether fishing or hunting. This time of year the two sports overlap. Keep it safe and follow the law -

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 11:20:00 (permalink)

I got a new hat for my mother-in-law, she's always asking me to take her fishing. Looks like Monday is the day !
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 13:31:41 (permalink)
    I agree with not shooting in the direction of a boat, but you in the boat also have to be considerate for the hunters.  When I get up at 4am to head out hunting, set up my decoys and wait for the 2 1/2-3hrs before I can even start shooting and then another 2+ hrs for the geese to actually start flying I don't want some idiot running up in his boat and fishing 40 yds from me...you have a whole lake to fish from go fish away from the hunters...if you are truly a die hard goose hunter, then you should know the most ethical shot you can make on a bird is locked up coming into the decoys at 30 yds or less, so therefore I will be shooting on a flat trajectory with the water....I'm not saying that when that idiot does run up and fish 40/50 yds from me I'm going to shoot, but you better believe I will have some choose words for the guy in the boat as well as a call to the game commission to report the guy for interrupting a hunt (o yeah and it does work I have had to do it a few times when some guys decided to troll back and forth 30 yds off my decoys for an hour...they would go 50 yds down the shoreline, turn around and come back through 50 yds in the other direction....I yelled to them to stop and leave, they laughed and waved and continued doing it...the fish and game commission showed up in a boat and cited them for interfering with a hunt in progress.)

I'm not saying all fisherman are bad during hunting season, most don't see the hunter on the shoreline and think the geese are real, get to close and realize they are deeks and turn and leave, but some just don't care.   

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    smallie2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 13:36:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JEB

I got a new hat for my mother-in-law, she's always asking me to take her fishing. Looks like Monday is the day !
         Thanks for the laugh!
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 14:02:01 (permalink)
    I do not believe that flat trajectory is the most ethical shot....and certainly not the safest. Expecially in the early going when boating and hunting overlap. A bullet can fly a long ways after leaving the barrel....past where you can see. I would hate to see some little kid and his dad hit with a BB because you are shooting parallel to the water surface. How do you account for the shot once you pull the trigger. You might unknowingly hit someone.

Oviously a shot like that is legal....but you hold the liability if someone does get shot (or even worse). I understand that it is as much the anglers responsability as it is the hunters. You do not shoot across a lake where their are people in boats....just as anglers need to be considerate to hunters.

I, my friend, am a very advid hunter. I just choose to do so in a safe manner where people and kids are concerned. I advidly hunt Cyotes in the winter across frozen water, but I will not shoot if there are ice fisherman out there....even ones that I can not see.

You make it sound like I should not be out fishing when goose season is in ????

I understand that there are hunting spots in areas that are fairly unpopulated, but not many around here. We as sportsamn must coinside together and be safe about it. I would hate to see you make a flat trajectory shot across pymy when people are out in hurds like they have been. This weekend will be no different...and I can garantee there will be reports of someone getting shot like always.

As far as decoys.....I can normally spot them before I get to them. I agree, there is no excuse to put yourself in danger by being too close to someones decoys. That is where tempers are lost. I too own and set decoys, so I know the frustration of someone messing with them -

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 15:31:36 (permalink)
    Everyone entitled to their opinions?  Although if your hunting waterfowl, flat tradjectory and close is the most ethical shot you can have as far as killing the goose efficiently(lack of better words).   Feet down and low is the right way, period!  It all comes down to respect between two different activities.  My opinion is whoever is in the area or spot has first rights.   Frost I think you covered it very well. 

Oh, yeah, when can you use bullets over water.  This is not a fair comparison to use and most waterfowl rounds do not go beyond a couple hundred yards.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 15:34:21 (permalink)
    friends and I tend to hunt fields in early season and the lakes later in the year before freeze out, then its the creeks and rivers

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 15:57:10 (permalink)
    HOW FAR WILL A SHOTGUN SHOOT?
    By ****Baldwin
    (This article is reprinted with permission from the Gun Club Advisor, Spring, 1994)
     Gun club operators have long been asked the age old question, "How far will my shotgun shoot?"
     The size of the shot used has much to do with the range of the load.
    It can be assumed that the same weight of different sizes of shot, propelled by the same amount of powder, will develop identical muzzle velocities. However, small shot lose their effectiveness before their pattern density is lost, while the larger sizes of shot lose their pattern density before their energy and stopping power is lost.
    No. 6 shot seems to be the intermediate in that it loses its pattern density and penetration effectiveness at about the same point on its trajectory. Another important factor is the angle of elevation when firing.  When No. 6 shot is fired from a gun held slightly above the horizontal, the pellet drop will cover an area of approximately 400 feet in length.
    The nearest shot will fall about 300 feet from the gun's muzzle. While the furthest will land some 700 feet away. When the gun is elevated at an angle of approximately 40 degrees the drop area of the shot is greater, from 400 to 900 feet.  A load of No. 4 shot will carry somewhat further. The nearest pellets striking the ground some 600 feet away. These distances vary from shot to shot as weather conditions, particularly the wind, have an effect on a shotgun's range.  It is the generally accepted opinion that the No. 7 1/2 shot, used in trap loads, have an extreme maximum range of about 300 yards. Trapshooting ranges should provide this distance for their approximate danger zone.  A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches.
    When the gun is held at a horizontal position or only slightly elevated, this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.
    No. 2 - 330 yards
    No. 4 - 286 yards
    No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards
    No. 8 - 198 yards
     Altitude also has an effect on how far shot will carry. Data published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, for example, indicates the maximum range for No. 7 1/2 shot is 780 feet at sea level but increases to 1,080 feet at high altitude (12,000 ft.).

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 16:20:24 (permalink)
    Good info. for lead shot I assume?    Most waterfowl loads that hunters use are steel.  However, there some loads like hevi-shot that have even greater downrage power than lead but the price for the stuff is out of this world.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8510
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 16:24:26 (permalink)
    frost...I agree with ya. Any moron that wants to fish with my deaks needs his ears rung.
    The first year of nousance geese season I had a basser troll into my decoys.
    With in minutes a flock locks up and comes right in. Did not shoot towards this guy but he sure as heck knew to get outta there.
    Ju7st have respect for us hunters and all will get along.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 19:25:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Hummer82

Good info. for lead shot I assume?    Most waterfowl loads that hunters use are steel.  However, there some loads like hevi-shot that have even greater downrage power than lead but the price for the stuff is out of this world.

ALL waterfowl is supposed to be with non-lead shot
    goosinit
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 20:24:19 (permalink)
    I'll be out there, look for the guy with a shotgun on one side of the boat and a couple fishing poles hangin out of the other side!! HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE GUYS
    post edited by goosinit - 2010/08/30 20:26:48

{{{ INERTIA DRIVEN }}}
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 21:33:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

ALL waterfowl is supposed to be with non-lead shot

??????
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/30 22:34:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psu_fish

ALL waterfowl is supposed to be with non-lead shot...which after reading it again appears not to be the case

??????

i assumed those distances were for non-lead shot
    post edited by psu_fish - 2010/08/30 22:35:01
    powerun2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: September 1'st 2010/08/31 10:25:10 (permalink)
    THAT SHOULD BE COMON SENCE NOT TO SHOOT TOWARD'S A BOAT .

JUST STUPID!
    Jump to: