For All You Complaining about the Deer =====

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/09 15:59:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

"DarDys- I read about that. Technically, the woman was breaking the law posessing wildlife as a pet. But the PGC reaction was extremely harsh, given the circumstances. They definitely went overboard."

Yes, it was breaking the law.  Just like if someone hits a deer on the road and instead of letting it suffer for hours until a PGC officer can show up to dispatch it, you put it out of its misery with a pistol behind the ear.

My point in posting it was that the PGC took the time and effort to do what they did because why?  There is no poaching of game animals in their area?  There weren't road killed deer to pick up?  There weren't any youth groups to meet with and talk about hunter safety?  They often lean on the excuse that they can only work 40 a week and there isn't enough time to do this or do that, yet they were able to take a full day or more (to coordinate with the police) to come to this lady's house over a tweety bird that would have died had she not provided some care for it.  Does anyone think that the local WCO saw the article in the paper and said "Whoa, we have a major game law violator here and I must spring into action" or do you think that some from from, oh, I don't know, a bird affliated club, called and told them about it and demanded action?

I agree with you. Their actions were ridiculous and a waste of time and resources.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/09 16:09:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I think what many are missing is an IMPORTANT fact.. It was not just a newspaper article.. the lady was on TV.. she wanted her 15 minutes of fame like so many now a days.. after the TV appearance the PGC could not let this law breaking (even if small) stand as an example to others... How could anyone enforce a law when a person is clearly breaking it and is now on TV showing that fact..

Did they use the right approach at ending the situation.. that's up for interpretation... I think it could have been handled differently and better, but it is what it is now.. and the anti PGC folks are loving it...

I like how the above writer and others are saying she did not know it was against the law to have wild animals, birds, reptiles as pet without a permit or bill of sale.. I learned that in 5th grade !!!!

Come on Doc, they dropped the hammer on her. Why didn't the WCO just go to her and tell her it was illegal and charge her the cost of the permit and let her keep the darn thing? It wasn't an Indiana bat, or a whooping crane, it was a finch! I can see a dozen of em out my window right now. And, as DarDys asked, isn't it at least possible that they might have had something better to do? I'm not anti PGC nor do I love them (despite what others on here may suspect) but shouldn't somebody have thought of the public relations that would come out of treating this woman and her bird so harshly?
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/09 16:24:32 (permalink)
The drop in deer hunters is not one sided, which is the point.

Do you have any data to back up that claim? I have provided the actual data on the decrease in the number of deer hunters compared to the decline in the general license sales and so far all you provided is your opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/09 18:36:51 (permalink)
If you read I admitted it could have been handled better....

I think it could have been handled differently and better,
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/09 19:40:21 (permalink)
I got that. But I dont think how they ended it is "up for interpretation". They screwed up.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 07:22:06 (permalink)
You cannot explain away the fact that we are losing DEER hunters over twice as fast as hunters in general with any national trend because the other states are not experiencing the same situation.------------As stated , the PGC controls the deer herd numbers by issuing enough doe licenses to keep the herd where they want it so any increase or decrease in deer numbers is entirely their responsibility and the drop in DEER hunters over and above the normal decrease in hunter numbers is also their responsibility. The PGC was established to enact and enforce laws to protect all wildlife(particulary deer) from overharvesting. It seems they may have lost their way.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 08:50:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

The drop in deer hunters is not one sided, which is the point.

Do you have any data to back up that claim? I have provided the actual data on the decrease in the number of deer hunters compared to the decline in the general license sales and so far all you provided is your opinion.

Actually - there is data that backs that up. You can search for it. PA has one of the oldest hunting populations. Our average hunter is mid-40's to 50 I believe while other states are younger. I never said some people don't quit because of lack of deer, but to assume this issue is one sided shows your bias towards the PGC. The nation is losing hunters because of age and their numbers are not being replaced because of changes in lifesytles. Now, you show me data that proves a 23% drop in hunters is one sided (lack of game).

Also, now that your back on your rant for the future of hunting (and say that is your big picture concern)...tell me, what have YOU done for the future of hunting ? We can yap all day with no solutions, so educate me that you walk the walk.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 09:36:03 (permalink)
Now, you show me data that proves a 23% drop in hunters is one sided (lack of game).

No, that is not what the data shows the data shows that while the number of deer hunters dropped by 23 % general license sales decreased by only 11% so only 12% in the decrease in deer hunters can be directly attributed to ARs and HD.

Over the years I recruited 5 ladies to the sport of deer hunting along with several teenage boys. My latest recruit is my 13 yr. niece from a non-hunting family. Over the years I have pointed out the numerous flaws in the current DMP and documented hoe the PGC manipulates the data to mislead the hunters. furthermore, over the years I've done a lot of habitat improvement that produced little results due to the PGC's war on our deer herd.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 09:54:09 (permalink)
So now AR is a reason for a decrease in deer hunters. I can see lack of game discouraging some, but that statement is a little much. You telling me not being able to shoot half of yearling bucks in the woods is attributed to a decline in hunters ? I'm glad (and impressed) that someone who complains as much as you is doing something for the future. I can assure you those who talk the loudest typically do the least.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 10:05:46 (permalink)
I am not so sure that one can separate AR from HR in the current program.  AR was the sizzle that sold the steak of HR.  If it weren't for AR making it more difficult to harvest a buck, there would have been fewer hunters that made the decision to kill the first legal deer that they saw, typically a doe or BB, out of a concern of not getting another chance.  So, AR/HR are so intertwined that it would be difficult to determine if AR was responsible, HR was responsible, or a a combination of the two.

I have taken youths pheasant hunting over my dogs as long as there have been youth seasons.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 10:36:21 (permalink)
See if I have this right...

for some reason 11% just stopped buying general licenses completely.. quit hunting completely...
some maybe mad at the PGC, some too old to do any hunting, poor health, moved to another state (big thing around here) etc etc.

12% stopped deer hunting...

some because of health they could not hunt deer because it takes a little more effort in dragging (for example) than stuffing a bunny in your bag...

more folks working longer hours and needing money can't afford to take the opener or Saturdays off to hunt deer but still buy a general because of longer small game seasons...

then comes the "baby boomers" you know that same group that when they all retire there will be more on SS than people working and paying into it... Pa has TONS of them and as mentioned above many are not hunting deer and many are moving to spend those golden years in another state...

5 in my own family fall into that this year alone and I already have 3 in Fla, that use to hunt here in Pa...

and finally I guess their are those that quit because of lack of deer or being anti-PGC.....
the thing I do not understand is then they become someone who has no right to complain,.
they are no longer a member of the deer hunting community....

WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK .. THEY DO NOT HUNT DEER !!!!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/10 20:58:54
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 11:03:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

So now AR is a reason for a decrease in deer hunters. I can see lack of game discouraging some, but that statement is a little much. You telling me not being able to shoot half of yearling bucks in the woods is attributed to a decline in hunters ? I'm glad (and impressed) that someone who complains as much as you is doing something for the future. I can assure you those who talk the loudest typically do the least.

AR is only one of the reasons for the decrease in deer hunters. I don't think their are many who will deny that ARs make it harder to harvest a buck and for hunters with decreasing vision it makes it significantly more difficult ARs for the first time created a class of deer that was totally protected from harvest except by juniors and military. Therefore, if ARS made 60,000 buck illegal, they effectively removed 60,000 deer from the normal preseason huntable population.Now,add the fact that some hunters are reluctant to shoot doe due to HR and it becomes obvious that ARs made it much more difficult to harvest a buck of their choice.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 11:10:36 (permalink)
holly crap..... I can't believe it... I actually agree with this ???????

I don't think their are many who will deny that ARs make it harder to harvest a buck and for hunters with decreasing vision it makes it significantly more difficult ARs for the first time created a class of deer that was totally protected from harvest except by juniors and military. Therefore, if ARS made 60,000 buck illegal, they effectively removed 60,000 deer from the normal preseason huntable population.

Along with the vision thing about IDing the number of points....

AR also effected those that in the past who saw antlers on a running deer or one at a distance.. did not hesitate in pulling the trigger.. now they have to be even more sure of their target. that too adds to less bucks getting harvested..
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 13:28:59 (permalink)
You don't suppose that reducing the deer herd by approx 45% may also have had something to do with making it harder or do we still believe we have 1,600,000 deer in Pennsylvania and they just found a better hiding spot. BTW--- we are not only losing deer hunters faster than the other states, we are also way behind the national average for recruiting new hunters. We are currently behind the national average for hunters who call themselves deer hunters if you believe the PGC's numbers. All this in a state that was highly touted as one of the leaders in hunting just 10 years ago. The PGC's actions are doing a better job of destroying our hunting heritage than the HSUS,PETA and the rest of the anti hunters together.
post edited by S-10 - 2010/09/10 13:51:41
SilverKype
Pro Angler
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:15:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

We are currently behind the national average

Please explain table 3 in the link above. And provide data supporting otherwise.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:47:04 (permalink)
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/2006survey/nat_survey2001_recruitment.pdf

Page 26. Look at the difference and % change from 1990 -2005 in all parts of the country. The mid-Atlantic (PA & NY) is not near as bad as the mountain and pacific and better than New England, South Atlantic, & East South Central. And better than the national average.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:51:25 (permalink)
That's easy and thanks for supplying the data to show part of it. What that chart shows is the hunting license sales comparing Pennsylvania with the national average. What that chart doesn't show is the further DECREASE in the DEER HUNTERS which is also discussed in the Audit. I brought that very question up both to Martone when he was up here and to two of the PGC members at our open house and they wouldn't give an answer of why DEER HUNTERS numbers were decreasing more than twice as fast as hunters in general or what they were doing to reverse it. In fact in one case he just looked at me, excused himself and walked away, and the other two confirmed it was happening but changed the subject after I asked the second time.

Interesting in your post they admitted hunter success doubled to 19% in 99. They didn't mention they continued to increase again in 2000 and 2001. What was the percent again they are now claiming is the same as before AR/HR
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:55:14 (permalink)
But general license sales only tells part of the story, but the actual number of deer hunters shows the negative impact of the new DMP. From 1986 to 2000 the number of deer hunters declined by 10%,while from 2000 to 2008 the number of deer hunters decrease by 23%
So in the 15 years prior to the plan the number of deer hunters decreased by 10% while in just the 9 years the number od deer hunters decreased by 23%, so it is obviously the rapid decline in deer hunters in the last 9 years can be attributed to the effects of the new DMP.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:57:06 (permalink)
It's not real difficult. The deer herd increased in the 90's yet license sales dropped. So more deer doesn't mean more license sales. Table 3 says national hunting license sales are dropping faster than PA's.

Keep on spinnin' fella.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 14:59:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

so it is obviously the rapid decline in deer hunters in the last 9 years can be attributed to the effects of the new DMP.

You recently told me something was my opinion and asked for data. So now, I see your opinion and ask you for the data. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I want you to prove it.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 15:07:06 (permalink)
Your doing the spinning Kype unless you can explain why deer hunter numbers in Pa. dropped OVER TWICE AS FAST as general hunter numbers since AR/HR. The PGC doesn't want to discuss it so where is your data to explain it. Hunter numbers have been dropping nationwide for years but deer hunter numbers have not been dropping faster than hunter numbers.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 15:25:04 (permalink)
No, I'm not spinning. I never said deer hunteres numbers weren't dropping faster. You made that up after your national average comment came to a halt. Infact, I did say I can see where lack of game is discouraging. You musta missed that.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 15:32:10 (permalink)
Why are you posting the same misleading information the the PGC is using to try and prove we are better off than the nation while ignoring data from the same report that says we are losing deer hunters faster than the rest of the nation and over twice as fast as our regular hunter numbers. Remember it is DEER this thread is about.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 15:46:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Why are you posting the same misleading information the the PGC is using to try and prove we are better off than the nation while ignoring data from the same report that says we are losing deer hunters faster than the rest of the nation and over twice as fast as our regular hunter numbers. Remember it is DEER this thread is about.

At this point, the 23% is deerfly's numbers. I have not seen it. I posted general sales because we were talking about recruitment and so were you. Unless you have recruitment numbers of deer hunters, your point is moot.

Now, why don't you address the higher deer numbers in the 90's and the decline of hunters in the 90's. It's your logic, not mine.
post edited by SilverKype - 2010/09/10 15:58:21

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 16:02:48 (permalink)
Simple--- there is a gradual loss of hunters nationwide due to less free time, population becoming more urban, more activities to choose from, anti hunting sentiment being taught in schools, loss of land to access and a number of other reasons. There is an additional loss of DEER HUNTERS in Pennsylvania according to the PGC and this loss coorelated with the start of AR/HR. Now-- either the PGC is wrong about the EXCESSIVE loss of DEER HUNTERS which would make their claims of hunter % success inflated or the implementation of AR/HR caused the loss as it is the only variable not accounted for in the general nationwide gradual decrease. ------The deer hunter numbers are in historical PGC data given as a percentage and it's the use of general sales numbers that is moot in a deer discussion although I see why both you and the PGC might try to use it to muddy the water. It's the old saying, Figures don't lie but---------------the PGC can figure.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 16:03:47 (permalink)
At this point, the 23% is deerfly's numbers. I have not seen it. I posted general sales because we were talking about recruitment and so were you. Unless you have recruitment numbers of deer hunters, you're point is moot.

No , that is not true. Because general license sales decreased we know that recruitment of new hunters was less than the number of hunters that quit. Therefore, the recruitment data is irrelevant to the fact that the number of deer hunters decreased by 23% from 2000 to 2008 and BTW that is based on data provided by the PGC in the current DMP. So , they know there was a significant decrease in the number of deer hunters but choose to conceal that info by talking about hunter success rates and the decline in general license sales.

I never claimed that increased deer numbers would result in an increase in the number of hunters because I knew that didn't happen in the past 30 years, but it did happen from around 1930 until around 1980.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 21:19:29 (permalink)
So in the 15 years prior to the plan the number of deer hunters decreased by 10% while in just the 9 years the number of deer hunters decreased by 23%, so it is obviously the rapid decline in deer hunters in the last 9 years can be attributed to the effects of the new DMP.

let's see.. that 15 years prior would have been 1987-2002..

I was 42 years old to 57.. I hunted small game, archery for deer, used a sit down stand up climber tree stand, hunted bear and of course deer rifle season...

since 2002 I have gone from 57 to 65 years old and had heart surgery..... I no longer archery hunt, small game hunt except for one or two days for squirrel.. no more bear hunting.. and thanks to the area I live can still find deer in areas that I am able reach easily.. if not I too would probably quit... not for lack of deer.. just that I can't do it like I used to or like I have to be really successful..

If I still lived in Pittsburgh and had to travel up here "to camp" I feel pretty sure I would have given up hunting all together several years ago .. Instead of this place being a hunting and fishing camp like in the 60s.. it would be a fishing and relaxing camp...

Keep in mind the majority of the "baby boomers" are still a couple years behind me.. so I look for deer hunters to continue to drop no matter what the PGC would or could do to reverse it...and I think the majority of the other states are experiencing the same thing...

sorry.. I still say the #1 reason for fewer deer hunters is the age structure of Pa hunters....

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 21:45:17 (permalink)
NOPE---That variable is already taken care of in the general decline nationwide and in Penna. The extra steep decline in Deer Hunters has to be something that happened recently in Pennsylvania and the only variable not accounted for is the implementation of AR/HR. Heck, even you proved that, look how your excitement ramped up for this year (bad heart and all) when you realized you may actually have a chance for a buck on the posted property you have permission to hunt. You started asking questions about how to hunt it and decided to ramp up your scouting. All the average hunter wants is a reasonable chance to kill a buck and they will be happy. If they don't feel they have that chance based on what they have seen no amount of data manuiuplation will convince them otherwise. As you say, we will still experience a gradual decline in general hunter numbers but the unprecendented decline in deer hunter numbers is caused by a different factor which the PGC seems not to want to discuss.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/10 22:06:34 (permalink)
sorry just can't accept that as the #1 reason... but as always... to each his own

1 - age
2 - economy
3 - moving out of Pa
4 - then maybe unhappy hunters
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Jump to: