For All You Complaining about the Deer =====

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:16:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

"I'd love to....nothing was ever in my system. And I didn't intend to get you so fired up...and if you weren't fired up, maybe it just seemed like it."

Maybe things just arent coming across clearly in text, as they do in spoken word in person. Thats a common problem with the internet. Im sitting here just about finishing up a workout listening to Hendrix and other classic rock tunes, sippin' an ice tea chattin' on a message board all at the same time. Im not hot under the collar about anything. lol. Not even luke-warm. Lifes good.

Same here. Keep fighting the good fight. The funny thing is, I dont think your position is wrong, I just dont agree with how you arrive at it.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:24:22 (permalink)
You don't debate, you don't produce anything to support your position on anything. You had 4 responses on the merger from different people but do nothing but question. If you want to debate you need something besides questions and claiming conspiricy theorys. That's all for tonight.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:37:03 (permalink)
"Managing wildlife and its habitat for current and future generations."

S-10...based on this statement from the PGC website, I believe that HR/AR is the PGCs attempt to fulfill this stated goal. That statement is what supports my belief. Doc stated that none of the people he talked to in the PGC were in favor of the merger. Based on this, it seems unlikely to me that the way the PGC is managing deer is an attempt to obtain alternate funding through a merger or anything else. I didn't get on nherer to debate. I was just trying to understand your position. And if you look back, what you will see is not a lot of facts from you but a lot of "if you do your research" statements by you. That really doesn't support anything. Since you were vague on this research that I should be doing ( as opposed to quoting your exact sources or even quoting them directly in your posts) mostly what I've learned about your position is,if I do enough reading, I might ot might not come to the same conclusions as you have. If that's what you have then maybe I've gotten the understanding of your position that I sought. But I doubt it's the same understanding you are trying to convince me of.

I'm out too, I gotta go hang stands in the morning. You cats have a good night.
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:49:02 (permalink)
s10 says: "You don't debate, you don't produce anything to support your position on anything. You had 4 responses on the merger from different people but do nothing but question. If you want to debate you need something besides questions and claiming conspiricy theorys. That's all for tonight"

That said in reply to wayne c, but im thinking that wasnt intended for me?

Good luck pickin' those trees dd. Ive hung a couple already, but have several others, a few more for me and a couple for dad & hunting bud. Im out too. Later.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 07:49:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DanesDad

"Managing wildlife and its habitat for current and future generations."

OK, as I stated earlier, this statement is on the homepage of the PGCs website. Is this not a fact? If this IS their mission, how does managing things to produce the MAXIMUM number of deer, as they did before AR/HR jibe with this statement? Or do you not believe that prior to AR/HR that the were producing as many deer as possible?

I get it that they are charged with managing all wildlife.  I also get it that when dealing with customers, and we as license buyers are their customers, that not all are treated equally.  In a business, which the PGC obviously is not (they are not alone in this as many government agencies don't follow a business model), you take care of your biggest and most important customers first and best.  As the degree of business declines, so does the amount of attention and service.

Deer hunters are by far the biggest customers of the PGC, perhaps by 1000X of the next biggest customer.  They need to be treated as such.

That is not to say, "don't service the other customers," but rather take care of the customer that is buying the materials to build a 5,000 square foot house before and better than the customer that comes in to buy a can of spray paint and use the restroom for free.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 07:56:44 (permalink)
Your correct Wayne, that wasn't meant for you, It was late and I was tired, sorry. I've got 6 stands hung and two spots in reserve and now just waiting for the rubs to start showing up. Have moved my core hunting area and other than having pi--ed off some of the folks who used to have it to themselves I think I have improved my chances. I was surprised at some of the negative comments concerning the PGC's HR program I have received from the farmers I've talked to. Apparently the Pa Farm
Bureau doesn't represent all the farmers. I was denied permission on two farms because of their perceived lack of deer and one said they were posting because of it. Did get permission on one that looks real good this season.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 08:55:08 (permalink)
Apparently the Pa Farm Bureau doesn't represent all the farmers.

what organization do you know of that represents 100% of the membership...
I know of no single topic that if presented to 50 people all 50 will agree on...

Most organizations do or at least should represent the majority of their membership.
so the Pa Farm Bureau (IMHO) does represent all their members and they present the opinion of the majority of the membership on any given topic ... and just like any deer subject there are folks on both sides of the topic and the ones in the minority are the always the ones complaining and making the negative remarks about their organization..

We all know there are some people who think that posting their land because of low deer density and thinking that will increase the herd on their property... many that have done that are now changing their mind, they found they can not keep the deer there and did not get the results they thought they would get...

But if you talk to 50 property owners and ask why their land is posted you will find that lack of deer is not one of the top reasons when you get all 50 responses..

#1.. Trespassing
#2.. ATVs
#3.. Want the lease money and can control who is on the grounds
#4.. Liability concerns
#5.. around here.. style of hunting (Amish)
#6.. anti-hunting
#7.. maybe.. keep deer to themselves
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 09:53:57
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 09:22:44 (permalink)
"I know of not single topic that if presented to 50 people all 50 will agree on..."

You could probably get 50 people to agree that sliced bread is a good thing.

That is unless some one has a vested interest in unsliced bread.

I had to lighten this up a little you know.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 09:37:01 (permalink)
I assume that Doc talked to 50 property owners and his survey put the reasons in the proper order. When I talk to these guys again I'll ask them if they remember ole Doc coming around and asking them to put down their complaints. Doc, isn't it you that is always saying the reason they don't get all those big bucks your always claiming you see around your area is they always stay on the posted property? Hummm
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 09:58:39 (permalink)
Here is what you posted just 5 days ago about deer STAYING on posted property. Now you are saying they don't stay on posted property. Which is it Doc. Were you fibbing 5 days ago or fibbing now?------The couple square miles behind my place has NEVER been good for seeing a large number of bucks.. two or three harvested a year and even less since AR.... genes ???? .. still lots of small ones... the larger smarter ones travel an exta mile or two and spend the season on posted ground that has been posted since 1960s....

We are seeing some MONSTERS in the fields at night , but those of us who live here or have hunted here for many years know they will not be huntable come December..
post edited by S-10 - 2010/09/02 10:02:03
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 10:05:21 (permalink)
And that property is posted for the lease money reason.. not LACK OF DEER...
and I have been told that there are only about 5 guys that hunt it..

I use 50 just as a figure of speech... I am referring to people I know or "sort" of know from the store and being neighbors... is it actually 30 or 50 I don't know.. but the reasons they tell me they have the ground posted is as I have listed.. and I have had similar conversations with staff at the PGC as to reasons for posted ground..

One interesting thing... all but 2 of the folks I have talked to with posted land around here in the past three years of working at the store have then said if I wanted to hunt there I could.. no ATVs and not a bunch of other guys...and no bait of any type..

the 2 that said no were because the land is leased to someone else...

the negative people on here are going to believe what they want and no one or any facts are going to change that.. if you want to believe the #1 reason land is posted is because of lack of deer no one is going to change your mind... not even the Pa Farm Bureau
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 10:16:30
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 10:13:48 (permalink)
Here is what you posted just 5 days ago about deer STAYING on posted property. Now you are saying they don't stay on posted property. Which is it Doc. Were you fibbing 5 days ago or fibbing now?------The couple square miles behind my place has NEVER been good for seeing a large number of bucks.. two or three harvested a year and even less since AR.... genes ???? .. still lots of small ones... the larger smarter ones travel an extra mile or two and spend the season on posted ground that has been posted since 1960s....

GOD.. read PLEASE..... That is a description of what happens in my "backyard" it is not and was not to imply that happens everywhere...

you sure are getting good at reading what you want into a post...

if you go over to huntingpa.com there are several entries about how posting to save deer did not give the results the landowner thought it would...

I put the number of people who post because of lack of deer right there with the ones threatening to close their land if Sunday hunting ever comes about... in fact probably many are the same owners....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 10:14:12
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 10:25:50 (permalink)
Here's aprt of an article by John Hayes ===

No records are kept documenting private land that is posted, but about 80 percent of Pennsylvania land is privately owned. The state allows hunting and other outdoor recreational activities on most of the 1.4 million acres of state game lands financed almost entirely by hunters. Most of another 2.1 million acres of state forest land also is open to hunting, as well as thousands of acres in state and county parks.

But most hunting in Pennsylvania occurs on private property with the direct or implied consent of the owner, and hunters said access is drying up fast.

"It's getting harder and harder to find a place to hunt," said Dan Beard, who lives and hunts in Westmoreland County. "The game lands get crowded, and when you go to a place that's been open to hunting all your life, it's posted."

Some posted property is open to individual hunters with specific permission. "Implied" consent isn't always clear. Owners are under no legal obligation to signal their intentions regarding their property -- hunters can be asked to leave even without "No Trespassing" signs. And despite the misconceptions of many hunters, signs do not have to be signed or mounted on frames to be legal.

Pennsylvania's Recreational Use of Land and Water Act protects landowners who allow free access to their land from liability involving a sporting accident or a firearm discharged on their property.

Landowners control their property but they don't own the wildlife, which is managed by the Game Commission. State hunting regulations apply on most private property.

The "No Hunting" signs go up for a variety of reasons, and safety isn't always the primary concern.

In a 2003 report on the property-access decisions of Pennsylvania landowners, Penn State University researchers found that about 69 percent of owners post their land for reasons including control and use of the property, previous experiences with hunters, liability and safety. Thirty-nine percent of all posting landowners said that a single event caused them to post.

Among nonposting landowners, 11 percent said they were concerned about relationships with neighbors. Fourteen percent said they allowed hunting to control the deer population.

Some aggrieved property owners say the inconsiderate actions of a few hunters prompted them to ban all hunters. Trespassing is a common reason landowners post signs, but rarely do disputes escalate to violence.

Another example ==
Here in Pa, I hate seeing posted signs. More land seems to be posted every year. Because of that fact, I do not post my property.

Having said that, I think I will need to start (at least for deer season next year). Too many people taking advantage of me not posting it, including my neighbors.

I pay the mortgage, taxes and drive 40 min one way to work. One of the reasons for all that is so I have some place to sit during deer season. Only to have people put drives on while I'm sitting in my stand on my OWN property. No more.

Regardless of whether land is posted or not. I ALWAYS ask permission EVERY year prior to entering someone else's land.

Unfortunately, the few bad apples will ruin it for everyone
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 10:32:11
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 10:59:35 (permalink)

What is the purpose of all that yada, yada, except to deflect from my questioning why you claim one thing one day and something else the next. You have said for years that all the deer go to your neighbors posted ground and stay there and that is the reason not many bucks get shot around you and you see so many on the posted ground. You even wanted baiting legal so you could draw them off of there. Now you say it doesn't make any difference. Which is it?---------You also said that asking 50 people, keeping deer will not be higher than #7 on the list you posted. Either you made up the list or can document where it came from. Which is it? I never asserted anything except what I was told by the farmers I talked to. I mentioned it only in passing as I was surprised that they felt the same way as I did after reading all the testimony the Farm Bureau has given asserting just the opposite. According to the article 69% post for reasons including control and use of their property. How do you know that doesn't mean controlling deer deer harvest and hunter numbers?
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:13:54 (permalink)
"But if you talk to 50 property owners and ask why their land is posted you will find that lack of deer is not one of the top reasons when you get all 50 responses..

#1.. Trespassing
#2.. ATVs
#3.. Want the lease money and can control who is on the grounds
#4.. Liability concerns
#5.. around here.. style of hunting (Amish)
#6.. anti-hunting
#7.. maybe.. keep deer to themselves"

I wouldnt put antihunting anywhere near the top, unless in your local area youre overrun with them. . WHile there definately are some, they are grossly outnumbered. Around here, the number one reason is those who want to keep the deer for themselves and friends & famuily...And that is only added to by the decrease in the deer herd on any huntable lands. Id lost lands id hunted on for years because landowners didnt like the declining deer herd. We've also been turned down asking permission with the exact same reason stated. Id say slobs doing things they shouldnt would be in a virtual tie...Maybe even first... Hard to say, but it could go either way. Id agree liability issues also rank high. Id give it a close 3rd. We dont have any Amish here, and may be one or two antihunter landowners.. Not enough to make much difference though.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/02 11:16:57
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:26:21 (permalink)
The deer go to the posted property... they stay there until dark ... if it were posted and hunted by some they may not stay there.... you keep referring to me talking about ONE PIECE OF PROPERTY and saying I mean all posted grounds.... I'm talking only Travis Property retaining the deer herd there..

I have never said posting one's property for family use or leasing, would help the deer situation there...IF it were still hunted..... I just figured people realized I was talking about posted ground that gets some hunting.. and I think most do realize that's what I was referring to

posted property that does not get hunted (no shooting, no hunters, no pressure) probably would be a sanctuary for deer at least for the rifle season... and thus have more deer there during rifle season...

I have NEVER in 40+ years seen any of the four or five guys that hunt that huge property hunt where I am talking about where the deer in these fields go to stay..

If I posted public land say a game lands... No hunting... and allowed absolutely no one in there to hunt any season... the deer herd would grow to what the habitat there could support.
once I started allowing some forms of hunting of deer, I can not say the same results would happen..

and as always that's just my opinion from my knowledge about deer....
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:27:58 (permalink)
Trespassing as #1------What's the first thing you think when you see posted property-----I'll bet there are a bunch of deer in there------Posters are probably a bigger cause of trespassers during hunting season than any other reason. Look at how many people on here complain about people going on their posted owned or leased property. To post because of trespassers seems a oxymoran to me.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:31:37 (permalink)
Liability is big thing around here lately because of the shooting last year....

and even though there is a rule about allowing hunting relieves the liability many landowners at our club do not want to take the chance... 3 new posted properties this year for that reason alone and those have been open as long as I can remember before.

I guess with the better than average deer herd around here that may be why "saving my deer" is not up on the list of reasons for posting your land around here or people I talk to.....
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:34:48 (permalink)

What's the first thing you think when you see posted property------I'll bet there are a bunch of deer in there-----

WOW... we sure were brought up differently then ..

my first thought is I have to stay out of there !!!!!

I can't beleive I would even think about how many deer might be there ????????
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 11:42:53 (permalink)
That's all we have heard from you concerning the Travis property for the 5 years I've been on this site. I didn't say you would go in there, I said that is the first thing a hunter would think. The comments on this site over the years confirm there are a lot who would go in there.----DOC WROTE --I can't beleive I would even think about how many deer might be there ????????

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 12:23:44 (permalink)

I can't beleive I would even think about how many deer might be there ????????

I was not refering to that property, I know there are tons in there.. but I learned that by living here not thinking about it
I was mearly replying to your comment about seeing a posted no hunting sign, and what would be the first thoughts thru one's mind...

some good hunting in this area is property bordering that piece of ground....some of it is SGL so it gets TONS of pressure and I think that only helps drive more deer onto the property.

Others are private posted property because of trespassing and that is due to the fact most in the area know the deer go there because it is not hunted... and as you said there are those that pay no mind to posted sign if their first thoughts were there are lots of deer in there....

now for "my 2010 deer plan"... predicting 3 months in ADVANCE !!!!

I posted that I am about to start scouting for deer... that's because for the first time in 40+ some years I am now allowed to hunt a posted property across the road from that property and is between farm fields and the that property.. It has been posted and patrolled since the 1970s and I thought it was a part of that property but I found out differently this spring... and acquired the owners permission to "try to get" one of those monster bucks on its way across the road..they do not hunt...

I am not allowed to take others with me... no baiting.. no permanent tree stand or any that would harm a tree.. no ATV.. no littering.. which was fine with me... I want to be on the ground anyhow in case I miss-judge the crossing area...

so if my plan works I'll be harvesting an antlerless in October and a legal buck this year in rifle season, also plan on hunting more than 4 hours in rifle season... which will prove as I have said along.. put in the time and effort and maybe move to a new area.. and a reward is possible...

now I have to scout to try to find the trails leading from the field to the road crossing...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 12:28:35
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 12:54:19 (permalink)
Which will also prove as I said all along, The ones with posted property to hunt have not been affected as much by the herd reduction and have the best chance to harvest a legal buck. Glad to see you have finally come around to my way of thinking and I wish you the best in finally harvesting a legal buck for the first time since AR/HR.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 13:04:31 (permalink)
any advice ??

I know the deer do not stay there, it's a simple matter of walking thru there to cross over to the un=hunted ground...

I see bucks run across the road there all the time... anywhere from 6 to 7am....

The trouble I will have is finding the path down the hill, crossing a creek and then heading to the road...

I'm guessing I have about a football field to hunt in... plus across the creek on property I can not get permission to hunt on it was timbered and is thick with striped maples, and other 4-5 foot tall trees .. very very thick like a slashing...

it should be a challenge...since I can NOT go over there to scout...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 13:05:46
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 14:51:39 (permalink)
That's easy scouting. Park on the road the first two and last two hours of daylight and watch where they cross. When you have established a pattern, go into the woods, follow the trail where you are allowed and determine the best spot to intercept. Check back a few days before season to make sure the timing and location hasn't changed. Warm and dry in the car with your hot coffee and music. Funny how having a reasonable chance for a decent buck can change your outlook on hunting isn't it. Forget the old age and bad heart, Doc's going scouting and hunting for more than Susie Q and he's going to spend the time necessary to "git er done". Thank god there are a few places left where HR hasn't scr--ed things up, aye Doc.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5035
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 14:56:05 (permalink)
Shouldn't be too hard Doc, according to RSB the rut and breeding lasts for 5 months..
That should make it much easier to try for a buck......Being that they are easy to kill then...

I really wish PA would pass a law like Colorado, all land is posted and you must obtain permission from the landowner before ever stepping foot on private ground...When I was out there that was there that was the worst game law violation there was...As it should be here....
post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/09/02 15:05:56

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 15:23:05 (permalink)
not just RSB..

I know he is using some of the info he personally has kept over the years from opening-up road-killed does and checking the embryos and stuff for the date of conception... which I was lucky enough to see him do first-hand..

It's really an interesting collection of data he has collected personally .. impressive to say the least.. so I feel when he states soemthing about his area -- rest assure he knows what he is talking about...

Even the PGC states the 5-6 month breeding stat...

On page 20 of the Management of whitetailed deer deer in Pa 2009-2018 it reads ==

The deer mating season in Pennsylvania begins as early as September and can last into February. Most adult does are bred in November, with fawn breeding extending through December into February. Overall, most does are bred from mid-October to mid-December

so that's actually 6 months of possible ruting/breeding...

and on page 21 you can view a chart with that info broken down into those 6 months...

here's link ====

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576872&mode=2
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 15:24:55
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 18:21:21 (permalink)
Bings--- The breeding bell curve does show a long season but the first and last 6 weeks is a bit like us at 70. We still do it but you probably wouldn't want to spend your time in one spot waiting for us to show up.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/02 23:05:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

s10 says: "You don't debate, you don't produce anything to support your position on anything. You had 4 responses on the merger from different people but do nothing but question. If you want to debate you need something besides questions and claiming conspiricy theorys. That's all for tonight"

That said in reply to wayne c, but im thinking that wasnt intended for me?

Good luck pickin' those trees dd. Ive hung a couple already, but have several others, a few more for me and a couple for dad & hunting bud. Im out too. Later.

I'm pretty sure he meant that for me. I took it that way as soon as I saw it.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/03 08:55:01 (permalink)
Danesdad----- The PGC's purpose has always been to protect the states wildlife, both game and non-game from harm as well as the habitat. The so called New mission statement is nothing different EXCEPT it denoted the official beginning of the PGC changing their priorties to the non-game birds and animals. It is merely a reflection of the enviromental movement to promote non-comsuptive used of the states wildlife resources. Pick up some old game news magazines and you can follow the change in priorties over the last couple decades. Interesting that they chose to purge most of their past history and the events of HR/AR but some can still be found on the net and especially in the old game news mgazines.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/03 10:41:45 (permalink)

Danesdad----You questioned why the PGC would want to have funding from outside the sportsmen as it would allow other interests to dictate how the PGC is run. How do you explain this other than trying to force sportsmen out of the picture.--------------------------------------- ----Apr 29GAME COMMISSION SUPPORTS REP. LEVDANSKY’S FUNDING PROPOSAL
Pennsylvania Game Commission Deputy Executive Director Michael W. Schmit today offered testimony on behalf of the agency before the House Finance Committee in support House Bill 1676 to provide for an alternative funding stream for agency operations. Rep. David Levdansky (D-Allegheny) sponsored HB 1676, and serves as House Finance Committee chairman.

Original post by FWC Fishing and Boating News
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to: