For All You Complaining about the Deer =====

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 00:57:54 (permalink)
"They certainly do. If by "we" you mean deer hunters -- you have to keep in mind that providing lots deer for us to see or shoot is not a priority of the PGC nor should it be.."

Thats hardly what anyone is asking. Providing for hunter satisfaction should most definately be a "priority" perhaps not very top priority, but a high priority none the less. And no, i didnt say a word about providing us with lots of deer to shoot. The term "lots" is wide open to interpretation. What is lots to one person, may be just right, or even too few to many others. But to not care at all about the well being of the sport/lifestyle/management tool/funding source of hunting itself is utterly absurd.

"their duty is to manage ALL wildlife for all Pennsylvanians not just hunters... but you knew that ?????"

Yes. I know that. Just as you know that the statement should not be taken to mean= EXCLUDING HUNTERS.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/01 01:00:55
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 08:36:20 (permalink)
Danesdad--- Since you seem as adamant as Doc in support of the PGC tell us what positive results you see as a result of AR/HR and what claims they made to sell it that have happened.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 10:30:41 (permalink)
What is lots to one person, may be just right, or even too few to many others.

actually I think today it is something like this ==

What is huntable to many people and who are satisfied, may be to few for some others

And there in lays the problem...

me == lots in 2F
others == just right in 2F
complainers == too few in 2F

so with just those three opinions about the current number of deer, deer hunters will NEVER agree about the size of the deer herd and in fact never have... I have read countless article from the 1950s thru the 90s where those three opinions are present.. and there are and have always been those like many of us that support the PGC and those like you, beenthere, S-10, and others that just love attacking it when given the chance.

so basically talk about the PGC has not changed and never will == good... okay... terrible
the three sides again

And message boards and the internet give people a chance to express their opinions more than in the past when we did not have this option.. But keep in mind there is a small portion of the hunting community on message boards... especially the number that reply to topics about the PGC or the deer plan... most just read and make up their own minds.. so alot has to do with the way, style, and manner things are presented on the internet that help make up the opinions of others...... not just numbers !!!

And I have found in my life time constant negativity turns people off, no matter what the subject... as does rudeness..........
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/01 10:46:19
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 12:39:00 (permalink)
I don't know Doc, you keep coming back, and back, and back, and
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 15:30:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Danesdad--- Since you seem as adamant as Doc in support of the PGC tell us what positive results you see as a result of AR/HR and what claims they made to sell it that have happened.

That assumption is not correct. I'm not happy with how things are going. The difference between you and me is not our position on the PGC. The difference is WHY it is this way and how it got this way. That's all.
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 16:49:08 (permalink)
their duty is to manage ALL wildlife for all Pennsylvanians not just hunters... but you knew that ????

The PGC managed the rabbits and pheasants out of existence in my area. What do they do to manage tweety birds ? The PGC does a lot to insure the elk herd survives and prospers while decimating the deer herd that shares the same habitat with the elk.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:25:27 (permalink)
Wayne, I think you are too hostile about the PGC and the way things are going to even have a reasonable discussion about it.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:27:42 (permalink)
Anybody who doesn't see it your way is a PGC sympathizer.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:28:34 (permalink)
There is no middle ground with you.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:29:19 (permalink)
Hopefully, individual statements as posts will make it harder to be taken out of context.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:29:32 (permalink)
we'll see.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 17:34:47 (permalink)
Wayne makes a good point about the tweety birds. If you do your research of the programs they are working on or completed in the last 3-5 years you will find a large number have to do with non game birds. Do the research over the same time period and see how many programs having to do with game birds and animals they claim they didn't have the money to start. Their priorties have shifted and it has nothing to do with their mandate.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 18:11:48 (permalink)
Danesdad, thats your opinion and your welcome to them. However despite my feelings about pgcs practices etc. I am very well versed on the topic and very fair. Any statements i make or opinions i express are based upon the facts. Im sorry you feel otherwise, and very sorry that you didnt fair very well in the debate and it caused you to make ridiculous allegations, bizzarre attention seeking lines of singular statement posts, and basically blew a gasket because i didnt agree with you. Oh well, you'll get over it im sure. If you want to get into a pizzing match, go find someone else, im not interested.

"Hopefully, individual statements as posts will make it harder to be taken out of context."

Never took one word of yours out of context. Perhaps youd like to point it out? I see the accusation several times now, but never the example given. Thats what i thought... OR maybe i just took that quote out of context too! If you want to post in a reasonable manner id be happy to reply, until then, I dont have anything more to add.

Doctor trout says:"so with just those three opinions about the current number of deer, deer hunters will NEVER agree about the size of the deer herd and in fact never have... I have read countless article from the 1950s thru the 90s where those three opinions are present.. and there are and have always been those like many of us that support the PGC and those like you, beenthere, S-10, and others that just love attacking it when given the chance."

OF course doc. But the HUGE MAJORITY DO agree, that the reduction went too far. I couldnt care less about chronic complainers and the fact there always have been some complaining no matter what. But we are speaking of epic proportions and totally 100% unacceptable. Thats why pgc is being sued, have been chastised steadily by legislators & hunters alike, they were audited, and being denied a fee increase on our behalf. Hardly just business as usual in Pa deer management. lol

"so basically talk about the PGC has not changed and never will == good... okay... terrible
the three sides again"

They make the appropriate changes and a helluva lot more will think they are good or ok and fewer will think terrible. I didnt disagree with them myself until fairly recently. I had supported them in deer debates on other boards for years until i saw how absolutely ridiculous things were becoming and learned more about the inner workings of it all.

"And I have found in my life time constant negativity turns people off, no matter what the subject... as does rudeness.........."

I reply exactly in same manner of the post i am replying too. At no point did i cross the line or even close, nor do i intend to. Unlike some, my emotions arent an issue. But if its rudeness iget, i keep it within the rules, but im not gonna kiss someone backside or be tread upon. Perhaps before you accuse me falsely of being "rude"...each time you should back it up and look at what im replying to perhaps? If someone treats me with respect i reciprocate 100% of the time. And as for you currently, I feel i have been more than fair to you in replies to your posts and views, so dont know why all of the sudden you would act as if i somehow besmirched you? Or more likely it appears you are just trying to add emphasis to DD'S line of posting, taking the opportunity to get a jab in.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/01 18:38:06
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 18:24:10 (permalink)
"Wayne makes a good point about the tweety birds. If you do your research of the programs they are working on or completed in the last 3-5 years you will find a large number have to do with non game birds. Do the research over the same time period and see how many programs having to do with game birds and animals they claim they didn't have the money to start. Their priorties have shifted and it has nothing to do with their mandate."

All ya gotta do is look at the umpteen biodiversity biologsists + WIND biologists (lol)hired in recent years, as well as the wildlife action plan for starters.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 18:36:03 (permalink)
I wrote ===

"And I have found in my life time constant negativity turns people off, no matter what the subject... as does rudeness.........."

Wayne wrote
Perhaps before you accuse me falsely of being "rude"...

appears wayne has a guilty conscience.. I see no where in my post his name or any one else mentioned

??? INTERESTING !!!

That statement is just what it is == something I have learned and was taught in my lifetime and I realize (everyday) today's young people have not and are not being brought up that way...

"the golden rule" got FLUSHED years ago....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/01 18:37:49
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 18:43:00 (permalink)
For what it's worth, for decades I thought the PGC walked on water and wrote several opinions in the papers supporting their actions, rode with them on patrol, and had considered joining them. I even had a couple family members in the agency. In the 90's I started seeing the change in priorties to non-game issues and the lies, half truths, and misleading statements during the last 7 years put me on the other side. We are losing hunting members fast enough without the PGC taking actions to speed up the process. My 2 cents
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 19:09:34 (permalink)
"appears wayne has a guilty conscience.. I see no where in my post his name or any one else mentioned"

Seeing as the rest of your reply was directed towards me, i guess maybe i lept to conclusions. Now, would you like to relinquish the pulpit and quit preachin' 'bout the evils of todays youth, and maybe we can allow things to get back on topic?

post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/01 19:11:30
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 19:18:03 (permalink)
"For what it's worth, for decades I thought the PGC walked on water and wrote several opinions in the papers supporting their actions,"

I supported them early on in the program, even when many of my family members and friends did not. They didnt support them, and i didnt and still dont think it was mainly for the right reasons. They werent overly educated on these issues, and didnt care to be... and just heard LESS DEER etc. and didnt like it from the get go. That didnt stop me at all from supporting the stated goals & program in general.

I dont feel foolish for having supporting pgc in the beginning, because what i thought i was supporting was 100% the right things to be supporting. Problem was, i didnt know the full story, the story behind the scenes and also the intracacies of the program itself.
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 20:21:17 (permalink)

For what it's worth, for decades I thought the PGC walked on water and wrote several opinions in the papers supporting their actions, rode with them on patrol, and had considered joining them. I even had a couple family members in the agency. In the 90's I started seeing the change in priorties to non-game issues and the lies, half truths, and misleading statements during the last 7 years put me on the other side. We are losing hunting members fast enough without the PGC taking actions to speed up the process. My 2 cents

It appears that you Wayne and I were in the same boat as you supporting the PGC until Alt started lying about the status of our herd. Alt was a good salesman and convinced many hunters that we had many problems with our herd that in reality didn't exist. Even Dr. R. agrees that ARs had no positive effects on the breeding ecology or recruitment And, until the PGC can provide the data that shows that HR resulted in a significant increase in the rate of regeneration the plan will be the biggest farce ever in the history of deer management in PA.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 20:31:21 (permalink)
Doc, Wayne is too hotheaded towards the PGC to have a rational discussion. Apparently, the mere mention of them enrages him. Yes, he does make a few good points (the tweety birds, for example) but most of his good points are buried in vitriol, rage and complete misinterpratation of anyone whose opinion doesn't line up with his own. He so so out of touch that he seems to believe that I "blew a gasket", when I've remained calm throughout. I dont know about any debate but I'm sure Wayne didn't convince me of anything and I'm pretty sure I didn't change his mind (doubt that's possible), so if there was a debate, seems like a draw. But, I suppose you've been through it with him before.

Wayne-Nothing personal. I'd love to debate you on something you aren't so...passionate...about. Maybe someday.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 20:36:47 (permalink)

Aren't they supposed to be taking care of non-game species too? Aren't they responsible for the whole shebang and not just deer?
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 20:50:19 (permalink)
Since all you seem to do is question any facts your given and suggest the folks giving them are conspiricy nuts without being able to produce any facts to support your position I suggest you do the research yourself. That is of course unless you are a troll just tying to keep the pot stirred or support the Audubon and enviromentalists who are only interested in their own issues. Wayne believes strongly but he can produce facts to back up his beliefs. Lets see yours.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 20:57:25 (permalink)

Since all you seem to do is question any facts your given and suggest the folks giving them are conspiricy nuts without being able to produce any facts to support your position I suggest you do the research yourself. That is of course unless you are a troll just tying to keep the pot stirred or support the Audubon and enviromentalists who are only interested in their own issues. Wayne believes strongly but he can produce facts to back up his beliefs. Lets see yours.

Wayne does produce facts, but too often they are clouded by his obvious biases and he misinterprets EVERYTHING I say. He is too rapped up in it emotionally. You are way more convincing than he is (at least to me) because you also produce facts, but you dont take everything I say as a personal insult or cut bits and pieces of it out of context. For you, it seems like more of an intellectual disagreement. For him, it seems like his self esteem is somehow wrapped up in it. Truthfully, I regret getting into this with him because I didn't expect anyone to take it so personally.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:01:35 (permalink)
I agree with everything stated Deerfly.

-Ok Ok DD...Whatever you say... Is it out of your system yet? Can we move on now?.. Or would you like to continue attacking my character and me personally?
post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/01 21:05:25
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:04:15 (permalink)
"Managing wildlife and its habitat for current and future generations."

OK, as I stated earlier, this statement is on the homepage of the PGCs website. Is this not a fact? If this IS their mission, how does managing things to produce the MAXIMUM number of deer, as they did before AR/HR jibe with this statement? Or do you not believe that prior to AR/HR that the were producing as many deer as possible?
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:06:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

I agree with everything stated Deerfly.

-Ok Ok DD...Whatever you say... Is it out of your system yet? Can we move on now?..

I'd love to....nothing was ever in my system. And I didn't intend to get you so fired up...and if you weren't fired up, maybe it just seemed like it.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:06:36 (permalink)
Danes, you have seen our data supporting our position---- lets see yours
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:08:24 (permalink)
What exactly is your position? And where is this data?
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:11:06 (permalink)
Remember, I'm not disputing that deer harvest is down, or that AR is or is not working, or tag alloocations are raised or lowered, or that HR has gone too far in many places. My understanding is that where we disagree is the MOTIVES behind the changes. Am I( right or worng?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: For All You Complaining about the Deer ===== 2010/09/01 21:13:08 (permalink)
"I'd love to....nothing was ever in my system. And I didn't intend to get you so fired up...and if you weren't fired up, maybe it just seemed like it."

Maybe things just arent coming across clearly in text, as they do in spoken word in person. Thats a common problem with the internet. Im sitting here just about finishing up a workout listening to Hendrix and other classic rock tunes, sippin' an ice tea chattin' on a message board all at the same time. Im not hot under the collar about anything. lol. Not even luke-warm. Lifes good.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to: