PGN Article On Antler Restrictions

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 23:28:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

If im not mistaken, wasnt 2006 the year that was a first official pgc scoring session year in several years, they werent held for several years previous, supposedly claimed because of pgc budget restraints at the time?

That would also explain the higher entries for that year, as i believe those are the years of MEASUREMENT, not year of harvest.

It is late and I don’t have much time to respond to questions and comments tonight but I will hopefully get caught up with them over the next few days.

The years recorded in the record book and in my post are the year in which the buck was harvested, not the year measured.

The data clearly shows that back in the years, when the deer populations and hunting were only in about a third of the state, the deer populations and antler growth peeked in the late 1950s. From that point on number of record book bucks and antler size pretty much declined fro about the next thirty years until the 80s when deer populations started increasing in leaps and bounds in the southern areas of the state that up to that time had few deer. From that point on the southeast and southwest areas of the state took over leading in record book entries while the old traditional deer range continued to stay low on entries. That trend is once again starting to reverse though. When I get the time I will post the entries by region of the state for each time period so you can see just how true that has been.

It is also apparent, when looking at yearly entry results that years following harsh winters there are fewer record book bucks and those that do make it tend to average fewer antler inches. That can be seen in the 2005 entries following the harsh winters of 2003 and 2004.

It will be interesting to see how the years since antler restrictions stack up to the past and historical data over the next five to ten years.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 23:57:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

RSB,

First, you seem to be taking a little bit of a beating here.  Sorry for that.  Those that watch this board just tend to be very passionate about the subject.

That being written. I do have a question for you.  In a post above you state:

"that still doesn’t negate the fact that it still leaves a shortage of breeding mature bucks to accomplish the breeding during the correct time period the following year"

If I am not mistaken, in the video put out by the PGC to help sell AR, there was a statement that "90% of does in PA are successfully bred."  Since that is kennel like success on breeding percentage, how does that square with your statement that there is a shortage of breeding mature bucks?  With that type of success, it seems that some buck is taking the plunge.

Actually it was that about 90% of the ADULT does were being bred statewide prior to antler restrictions. Typically about 30% of the statewide juvenile does examined each spring had been bred prior to antler restrictions. Both of those statewide averages had great variation across the state depending on the state of the habitat and the buck/doe ratio, which was pretty much only affected by the previous antlerless harvest rates before antler restrictions.

There were areas of the state, like here in Elk County where only about 80-85% of the adult does were bred at all during most years. That is a horrible adult doe breeding rate. In fact even 90% is horrible for an adult breeding rate. Very nearly 100% of the adult does should be bred provided there are enough bucks to get them bred.

What might have been even worse though is the fact that it was taking over five months to get even 85% of the adult does bred. They should all be bred in about three weeks but weren’t because there simply weren’t enough bucks to get all of the does cycling at the same time bred during their first, second or even third estrus cycle. That then lead to lower fawn recruitment rates and even more late fawns being born that could reach breeding maturity their first year or possibly even survive through their first winter.

Since antler restrictions the ADULT doe breeding rates in my district have increase from an average of 84.4% bred over five months before antler restriction to where 96.9% have been bred since antler restrictions and the breeding cycle has been reduced to less than six weeks to get all of them bred. Even the few juvenile does we have had bred since antler restrictions have all been inside that six week window. The other interesting thing is that none of them have been bred later than the middle of December where before antler restrictions it was taking until the end of February to get even 80-85 % of the adult does bred.

Though the statewide data has shown little change in the adult breeding rates and mean (middle of the breeding season) I can say with absolute certainty that the combination of antler restrictions and bring the deer herd into closer balance with food supply has had a very positive affect on the deer in this area of the state. That is also a positive for the future of deer hunting in this part of the state, even though many hunters fail to understand some of the basic principles of just how nature, correct balances of bucks and does, habitat and deer populations all work hand in hand. If one is out of balance it affects everything else, too.

R.S Bodenhorn
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5035
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 07:02:51 (permalink)
You better discuss the the breeding and rut with Doc,,,
He seems to think it only lasts a couple weeks and doesn't come anywhere near rifle season as he had to point out to me and explain how stupid "I" was for suggesting it ran into rifle season.......

Sounds like you've been hunting the rut Doc, you know when it is real easy to kill those stupid horny  mature bucks...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 08:29:46 (permalink)
I sure don't understand how you can interpet the charts you posted the way you do. The second lowest antler average was in 2005 and except for a couple ( one before AR and one since) they are all in a fairly narrow window indicating 150 +or- a couple inches is about the max we can expect in Pa for an average regardless where they are taken from. It was that way in the beginning and is still that way. Interesting that as the numbers of entries increased after 1960 so did the antler size somewhat. Most folks would agree that the 1960's and 1970's were not the best for good bucks but even then the average antler size was within 99% of what it is now with many more entries as it stands now.
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 08:37:49 (permalink)
Since antler restrictions the ADULT doe breeding rates in my district have increase from an average of 84.4% bred over five months before antler restriction to where 96.9% have been bred since antler restrictions and the breeding cycle has been reduced to less than six weeks to get all of them bred.

If that were true , it would mean that adult doe breeding rates in another district would have had to decrease by 12.5% in order to keep the statewide breeding rates stable. Can you explain why AR s would produce such a significant increase in Elk while resulting in a large decrease in another district?

The antler buck survey in 2001 showed that 40% of the bucks surveyed were 2.5+ buck ,so there were more than enough buck prior to ARs to breed the fawns that achieved sexual maturity,so why would adding a few more buck produce a significant change in the fawn breeding rates or the length of the breeding window? Furthermore, if ARs produced such a dramatic improvement in Elk , why didn't Dr. R . point to that data to show ARs had a positive effect in some areas ,but not others? Also, can you explain why you are the only one reporting such significant improvement in breeding rates and the breeding window and can you explain why it isn't happening in the rest of the state?

BTW, and adult doe breeding rate of 90% is considered to be very good rate and an indication of good herd health which is why herd health has been rated as good for many years.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 14:52:46 (permalink)
I never heard of the breeding lasting anywhere near 5 months....
That's a pretty long rut.....

I would like to see data to back that claim up...
post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/09/02 14:53:43

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 15:29:00 (permalink)

here ya go ======

On page 20 of the Management of whitetailed deer deer in Pa 2009-2018 it reads ==

quote:

The deer mating season in Pennsylvania begins as early as September and can last into February. Most adult does are bred in November, with fawn breeding extending through December into February. Overall, most does are bred from mid-October to mid-December

so that's actually 6 months of possible ruting/breeding...

and on page 21 you can view a chart with that info broken down into those 6 months...

here's link ====

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576872&mode=2

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 15:32:44
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 15:59:18 (permalink)
Thank you...

Now could you explain to me how you do not hunt rutting bucks as you have stated before..
Actually you ridiculed me for even suggesting such a thing...
Better wipe that piece of egg of your face....

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 16:50:39 (permalink)
Here's a good link.
It also stretches out the breeding to almost 5 months..
Learn something new everyday...

http://www.trmichels.com/RutDates.htm

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 16:56:26 (permalink)
I have claimed I do not target bucks as a whole... that is not the same as I will not shoot a buck if it happens by... and yes there is a chance that if one does come by he may be chasing a doe..

and I have not archery hunted in years so that rules out hunting bucks in the prime of the rut..in rifle season one may come by that is or is not looking for ruting action... that's all I meant...
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 17:35:40 (permalink)
Concern about the length of the breeding period is for the most part a waste of time since there is nothing anyone can do to prevent the does from being bred before the peak of the rut and there is nothing one can do to prevent fawns from reaching sexual maturity after the rut. And, since ARs did nothing to shorten the breeding window or improve the breeding ecology it appears there is nothing one can do to prevent a very small percentage of adult doe being bred after the peak of the rut.

Therefore, if the PGC wanted to increase recruitment all they have to do is decrease the antlerless allocations and the result would be that the sustainable harvests would increase significantly.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 17:45:55 (permalink)
Therefore, if the PGC wanted to increase recruitment all they have to do is decrease the antlerless allocations and the result would be that the sustainable harvests would increase significantly.

That sounds like an opinion to me.. do you have real data to support that claim ????

My opinion would be that by decreasing the allocations you would possibly increase the number of both adult and fawn females... thus allowing bucks to continue to bred into December and January maybe even more in February ..

common sense tells me if there are more females and fewer bucks now that hunting is over, what bucks are left will have more females to breed later into the new year... which I believe is part of what RSB was trying to say...
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 17:46:44 (permalink)
opps double post sorry.. board appears to be very slow ????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 17:47:42
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 18:11:50 (permalink)
"My opinion would be that by decreasing the allocations you would possibly increase the number of both adult and fawn females... thus allowing bucks to continue to bred into December and January maybe even more in February .."

1. Breeding in Pa according to pgcs data was never a problem.
2. More doe would also equate to more buck existing to do the breeding! Especially since ar is in place. The data had shown that even prior to ar it was not a problem at all, and now with it, there is absolutely not even a figment of concern for it. Seems to be a 100% nonissue other than being made an issue as topic of discussion on message boards.

"common sense tells me if there are more females and fewer bucks now that hunting is over, what bucks are left will have more females to breed later into the new year... which I believe is part of what RSB was trying to say..."

That doesnt compute. You would have both more females AND more males. By increasing the doe herd, you are also increasing the buck populatin by more being born and more becoming adult breeding buck. There are no breeding issues and noting pgc seems to be concerned about, nor do i. And that was also the case BEFORE reduction was completed, or can even be argued before any of these "changes".
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 18:21:38 (permalink)
I am also basing my opinion on the PGC stat that 80% of all legal bucks are shot every year..

increase buck numbers will also increase kill.. 80% is 80%..

so that leaves only 20% of legal bucks for all those females...

also keep in mind about 30% of the bucks harvested are taken out before they do much breeding in archery season.. which would also increase with more avaibale bucks to harvest in archery season.....

so I'm not buying that idea...
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 19:12:06 (permalink)
That sounds like an opinion to me.. do you have real data to support that claim.

Yes I do!! In 1998 the antlerless harvest was only 196K and in 1999 it was 184k. According to the PGC those reduced antlerless rates produced a 20% increase in the herd and as a result the buck harvest increased from 177K in 1997 to 203K in 2000.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 19:34:10 (permalink)
Yep just as I thought .. did not answer the question...

show me in print where anyone is saying reduce the doe harvests and it will shorten the breeding season ??????

that is what we were discussing... the length of the breeding season.. not harvest numbers...

I see no way decreasing the doe harvest (which would increase the female population) can do anything but lenghten the breeding season.... more females to get bred each year by that same 20% of the legal bucks left after deer season ...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 19:37:55
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 19:58:46 (permalink)
oe harvests and it will shorten the breeding season ??????

I didn't say that reducing the antlerless allocations would shorten the breeding season. What I said was reducing the antlerless allocation would increase recruitment and that is what the reduced antlerless harvests in 98 and (( produced.

The length of the breeding season hasn't changed since 2000, so the decreasing the doe population had no effect on the breeding window.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 20:21:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

also keep in mind about 30% of the bucks harvested are taken out before they do much breeding in archery season.. which would also increase with more avaibale bucks to harvest in archery season.....

I would give you that arguement if all the buck were shot the first week of archery.. I would bet at least 40% of all archery buck kills come in the last 10 days of the season.. Those deer have had time to breed, probably why they are dead..

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 21:27:47 (permalink)
My point was that if more bucks survived the hunting season or lasted longer into mid december (thru archery season and rifle )that would shorten the breeding period. More bucks around to breed remaining females during December rather than Jan or Feb..

but pa hunters are good (thus 80%) and that IMHO... is the main reason breeding season has not changed over the years. To many does for too few bucks in mid december...so breeding contiues late into December.. Jan or Feb...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 21:28:32
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 21:45:24 (permalink)
My point was that if more bucks survived the hunting season or lasted longer into mid december (thru archery season and rifle )that would shorten the breeding period. More bucks around to breed remaining females during December rather than Jan or Feb..

If there were enough buck to breed 90% of the adult doe within 60 days, why weren't there enough buck to breed the remaining 10%. What evidence can you provide to show that the does that didn't conceive during the peak of the rut weren't bred? As I am sure you are well aware that not very sexual encounter results in a viable off spring.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 23:34:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

RSB--- If most areas of the ANF can't support deer numbers greater than the 8-10 dpsm now explain how they managed to support them right up until the day the PGC started AR/HR. Both the constant deer harvest and record book shows that in fact the forest had been and still was supporting the 20+ dpsm all through the 90's even after the timbering stopped.

Once an area is clear-cut it typically regenerates to the point it will support about 60-80 deer per square mile through the winter. That is somewhat contingent upon the winter conditions and if the cut is where deer can use it during harsh winters. But with the amount of cutting the ANF was doing (about 65 million board feet per year) prior to 1994 (when the Allegheny Defense Project stopped the cutting) there was a lot of good habitat for deer all summer and even into the winter.

To put it in perspective and Allegheny Defense Project court injunctions resulted in not just the elimination of clear-cutting but also almost nearly all timbering. By 1999 the ANF was down to removing less than 2 million board feet and that was nearly all blow down or other salvage cutting. Even though the cutting stopped in 1994 many of the previous clear-cuts were already more than ten years old and about to reach the pole timber stage, that supports very few deer.

A clear-cut will have that high over winter deer benefit ability as long as it is within the reach of the deer. But a clear-cut typically out grows the ability of deer being able to reach the browse after about 12-15 years. With no now cuts to replace those older cuts the deer populations started to slowly decline from about 1994 on. But, the really harsh reality of it didn’t come along until about eight to ten years after all cutting had been stopped. That is why the ANF deer populations seemed to crash about the same time there was an attempt to reduce the deer populations.

In fact, the professional deer managers, of both the ANF and Game Commission, recognized the fact that the habitat across the ANF has rapidly declining, with the loss of the clear-cutting, and knew the deer populations were going to decline with or without hunting. They made the wiser decision of allowing hunters to reduce the deer instead of allowing them to starve to death.

It is important for hunters to look at all of the factors that affect deer populations, what changes are occurring with the habitat and even the other environmental factors, such as mast production and winter conditions instead of just assuming that any decline in deer numbers was because hunters shot too many does. That isn’t the only thing that affects deer numbers. In fact, often in habitat limited areas the deer numbers will actually improve more when hunters harvest more deer than they do when hunters harvest fewer deer.

R.S. Bodenhorn       
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 23:46:25 (permalink)
never mind .... deleted..was looking at wrong thing..
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/02 23:58:13
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/02 23:46:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

You are correct that I was wrong. I didn’t read the entire Wallingford comment that represented the data as being post season. I read the first sentence where it said pre-season and used that to calculate. That was my mistake, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that it still leaves a shortage of breeding mature bucks to accomplish the breeding during the correct time period the following year.

There you go again attempting to intentionally mislead readers of this MB. In the very article this thread is about, Dr. R. stated that,

" In PA most adult does are bred in mid-Nov. and sexually mature female fawns tend to peak about two weeks later. Other aspects of the breeding ecology ,such as pregnancy rates and embryo counts, have also remained at stable and healthy levels.
Based on these data,it appears APRs did not significantly change the timing of breeding in PA."

Furthermore, since no one knows the percentage of fawns that reach sexual maturity each year, it is impossible to calculate the percentage of female fawns that should be bred that aren't bred, so you are no factual data to support your claim that there weren't enough buck to breed the fawns before APRs. Furthermore, since fawn breeding rates did not increase significantly after APRs were implemented, proves beyond a doubt your theory was wrong but you still persist in pushing a theory that has no basis in fact.

First of all no one has ever disputed that most of the adult does were bred in November. Since the timing of the rut in northern areas of the white-tail range are influenced by the amount of daylight the mean date for white-tail breeding is probably never going to change much at all.

But, that certainly doesn’t mean there was and is no room for improvement or reason to make improvements in both the adult buck/doe ratio and also breeding rates. Doctor Rosenberry is only reporting on the statewide data. That is certainly no indication there has not been improvement in many areas of the state. In some of the areas the improvement has been very significant.

As for your comments about how many fawns are bred, that isn’t even the issue except for you wanting to use it as a red herring. The problem has never been about how many fawns were or were not bred. The entire issue and concern has been that in many areas of the state many ADULT does were not being bred at all and of those that were it was spread out over way beyond the correct breeding window.

R.S. Bodenhorn
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/03 08:04:12 (permalink)

But, that certainly doesn’t mean there was and is no room for improvement or reason to make improvements in both the adult buck/doe ratio and also breeding rates. Doctor Rosenberry is only reporting on the statewide data. That is certainly no indication there has not been improvement in many areas of the state. In some of the areas the improvement has been very significant. [/quote

If there is still room for improvement and ARs and HR didn't produce the expected improvement , what should the PGC do to increase breeding rates and reduce the breeding window?

Your claim that there has been significant improvement in some areas doesn't make sense when you consider the statewide averages didn't improve. In order for the statewide averages to remain stable, for every area where there was significant improvement there would have to be another area with a corresponding decrease. Since there is no logical reason why breeding rates and productivity would decrease anywhere in the state as a result of ARs and HR, unless you can support your claim with official PGC data, IMHO your claim is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/03 23:17:45 (permalink)

Since antler restrictions the ADULT doe breeding rates in my district have increase from an average of 84.4% bred over five months before antler restriction to where 96.9% have been bred since antler restrictions and the breeding cycle has been reduced to less than six weeks to get all of them bred.

If that were true , it would mean that adult doe breeding rates in another district would have had to decrease by 12.5% in order to keep the statewide breeding rates stable. Can you explain why AR s would produce such a significant increase in Elk while resulting in a large decrease in another district?

The antler buck survey in 2001 showed that 40% of the bucks surveyed were 2.5+ buck ,so there were more than enough buck prior to ARs to breed the fawns that achieved sexual maturity,so why would adding a few more buck produce a significant change in the fawn breeding rates or the length of the breeding window? Furthermore, if ARs produced such a dramatic improvement in Elk , why didn't Dr. R . point to that data to show ARs had a positive effect in some areas ,but not others? Also, can you explain why you are the only one reporting such significant improvement in breeding rates and the breeding window and can you explain why it isn't happening in the rest of the state?

BTW, and adult doe breeding rate of 90% is considered to be very good rate and an indication of good herd health which is why herd health has been rated as good for many years.

The breeding rates wouldn’t have to decline in any WMU for the breeding rates to have improved in some units even while the statewide breeding rates showed no change. But, with that said yes there actually were a couple units that showed some slight decline after the early years of herd reduction but that appeared to be from a major reduction in the sample size of the units with the decline

What actually happened was that for many year the southwest and southeast counties and units had the state’s highest road kill does being examined for breeding and embryo data. Since those areas with the most road kills also had the highest breeding and reproductive rates in the state they heavily influenced the breeding and reproductive rate averages for the entire state. Meanwhile the more rural, mountainous and poor habitat areas of the state had far fewer road killed deer to sample even though those they were sampling had much lower breeding and reproductive rates.

About the same time (starting in 2000 and 2001 and increasing every year since) the WCOs in most of the counties that made up the southeast and southwest counties quit handling road killed deer and recovering breeding and reproductive data due to PennDOT contracting it out to the private sector. Since those areas had once had both the highest number of statewide data samples and best breeding rates the shift in sample size and location to where the north central and northeast part of the state (areas with traditionally lowest breeding and reproductive rates) were providing a higher percentage of the samples then they previous had. That is why the statewide data remained relatively unchanged even though most areas and WMU of the state did experience improvement in their breeding rates.

But, you already knew that because I have provided both the explanation and supporting data for you in the past. But it doesn’t fit your agenda so you dismiss it.

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2010/09/03 23:18:52
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/04 12:49:49 (permalink)

The breeding rates wouldn’t have to decline in any WMU for the breeding rates to have improved in some units even while the statewide breeding rates showed no change. But, with that said yes there actually were a couple units that showed some slight decline after the early years of herd reduction but that appeared to be from a major reduction in the sample size of the units with the decline

That makes absolutely no sense. Just because the sample size decreased in some units doesn't mean there would be a decrease in the breeding rates. Besides, if the lack of sufficient buck was the reason why the breeding rates weren't higher before ARs, the breeding rates should have increased significantly in every WMU. Also, remember that the PGC is using 2 year averages to offset any effect of smaller sample sizes.
About the same time (starting in 2000 and 2001 and increasing every year since) the WCOs in most of the counties that made up the southeast and southwest counties quit handling road killed deer and recovering breeding and reproductive data due to PennDOT contracting it out to the private sector. Since those areas had once had both the highest number of statewide data samples and best breeding rates the shift in sample size and location to where the north central and northeast part of the state (areas with traditionally lowest breeding and reproductive rates) were providing a higher percentage of the samples then they previous had. That is why the statewide data remained relatively unchanged even though most areas and WMU of the state did experience improvement in their breeding rates.

Unless you can prove that the PGC calculates statewide breeding rates by dividing the total number of doe that were bred by the total number of doe that were checked your explanation is totally meaningless and irrelevant If they calculate the % bred in each WMU, which they do, and then add them together and divide by 22 WMUs in order to get the statewide average, then the changes in sample size would have absolutely zero effect on the statewide breeding rate.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/05 14:11:09 (permalink)

That makes absolutely no sense. Just because the sample size decreased in some units doesn't mean there would be a decrease in the breeding rates. Besides, if the lack of sufficient buck was the reason why the breeding rates weren't higher before ARs, the breeding rates should have increased significantly in every WMU. Also, remember that the PGC is using 2 year averages to offset any effect of smaller sample sizes.

Unless you can prove that the PGC calculates statewide breeding rates by dividing the total number of doe that were bred by the total number of doe that were checked your explanation is totally meaningless and irrelevant If they calculate the % bred in each WMU, which they do, and then add them together and divide by 22 WMUs in order to get the statewide average, then the changes in sample size would have absolutely zero effect on the statewide breeding rate.

I will tell you that I asked the State’s Biometrician that very question, about why the statewide data had declined, during an in-house deer management meeting. He very clearly explained it, using supporting sample size data, that it was because of that shift in where across the state the samples came from over the years.

It also does actually make perfect sense to people who truly understand data analysis. I would have to say either you don’t truly understand data analysis or you are simply trying to minimize those factors because they don’t support your arguments and agenda.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/05 14:53:51 (permalink)
RSB---For four years of my working career I made my living as a data analyist and what your saying ( If you understood your Biometrician correctly) really does not make sense. First, to give more weight to a particular WMU simply because you took more samples defeats the purpose of taking samples across the WMU's. EX. You have 22 WMU's, you take 110 samples in one and 5 in each of the others, in your example the one would carry more weight than all the others together and the data would be truly worthless. If you gave equal weight to each WMU regardless of sample size (as you should) then if there was an increase or decrease in breeding rates it would show in the statewide data and the results would be more reliable. The situation your describing would make the results totally reliant on where the samples were taken and would be totally unreliable. Are you sure you understood him correctly?
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/05 15:04:35 (permalink)
Lemme see if i get this right, from what im taking from current discussion, is that sample totals in areas may have shifted. The data shows the same statewide average breeding rates as previous....

Regardless of what area did what.... Despite the statewide reductions... We STILL have the same statewide breeding averages... There isnt a whole lot of ways to hide that under the rug or to sugar coat it. And its presented in a manner intended to be compared in the annual reports. No asterisks...no foot notes...no disclaimers. Just a chart with all the years listed in a straight up 'meant to be compared' manner.

Fact is, nothing changed because nothing was wrong in the first place. 10 years of pgc data show that to be the case. Or at the very least, if you believe pgc regen, herd health etc. data is insufficient as the audit claimed, then what you have is a very extreme decade old deer plan based on absolutely nothing. Which not coincidentally runs congruent 100% with the assessments of the highly accredited Dr. Eveland in the other thread.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/05 15:06:38
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to: