PGN Article On Antler Restrictions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Author
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
  • Reward points: 0
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 08:03:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

As for RSB remark that you quoted...

As you know I have attend many of his SGL tours and listened to his deer presentation following the tour and even had him at our local club to give the same presentation...

I have not heard him make that statement...

Although I do recall him saying to maintain that type ratio more adult does need to be harvested than adult bucks...

but.. IMHO... he is free to say what he feels is true... and we can listen and form our own opinions based on his remarks and others... we nedd to listen to both sides of discussions so we can form our own opinions based on our beliefs not from pressure from others on either side...

But he is not free to misrepresent the data in order to mislead others. The issue of the B/D ratio has been debated on numerous occasions and it has been documented that our B/D ratio has been around 1:2 since the early 80's. It is irresponsible for anyone to post misleading information which only confuses the issue while benefiting no one. Opinions should be based on established facts rather than on the personal opinions of a WCO that obviously doesn't understand the issue.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 08:38:53 (permalink)
RSB-- I think your explanation of the deer hunting on the ANF is a bit misleading also. According to the KQDC studies done on both the ANF and private areas surrounding the ANF there were 24 DPSM on the ANF in 2002. I would consider that good hunting. The same study shows 8 dpsm in 2008 as a result of doe hunting. I would consider that poor hunting. While I would agree that the lack of timbering had a negative impact on deer numbers it wasn't nearly as significant as the impact of the PGC's actions on the doe population.

post edited by S-10 - 2010/08/31 08:55:49
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5035
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 08:47:29 (permalink)
Also wrong on the number of Fawn does available for breeding...
Ranges from 45% to 6% depending on area of the state...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 11:27:07 (permalink)
Let's see, we have X number of female fawns born in the spring... 50% of those do NOT make it to fall and bing posted only 50% of those can be bred, that does not sound like too many female fawns for the buck to me... and I image a nice 2.5 year old buck would rather find a good looking, well developed 3 year old than a juvenile

But he is not free to misrepresent the data in order to mislead others

every person who posts on here takes info and adds their own "spin" (as S-10 calls it)

most do not want to talk 5 year averages for example, they would rather pick the best year and compare it with the worst and use that to support their opinion.. or somehitng Gary Alt said 10 years ago..

S-10 likes to use the trophy books, which do support his position.. well sort of..

I always like to think about how many guys get bucks that would qualify but never make the effort or take the time to get it officially scored...

If memory serves me, since I never look at record books.. I think 160 will get you into the Pa book....

now how many guys here have shot a 160 buck at some time and never took it to get it scored for the record book... not sure anyone will post if they have... but I'd bet anything there are some... and even some since the last scoring event.. and especially since AR...

By the way, the current issue of the Game News has an article about ARs, I must say it is dissappoinintg, at least to me... seems like nothing new
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/31 11:28:25
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 11:47:11 (permalink)
every person who posts on here takes info and adds their own "spin" (as S-10 calls it)

But RSB is not just putting a spin on the data I posted. He is intentionally misrepresenting what the data clearly shows in order to support his contention that there was a problem with the B/D ratio before ARs I , on the other hand, simply took the PGC data and performed simple division to come up with the B/D ratio. Why RSB would go out of his way to question that is beyond me.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 11:52:10 (permalink)
There is also no spin on the Pa record books and what they show. Also Doc, it is quite obvious you don't know much about them or you would realize your way off on the size needed to qualify or that is is different depending on gun or bow and typ or non-typ. If your going to talk about something you perhaps should do a bit of research.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 14:13:34 (permalink)
No research needed.... I could care less about the books.. all they show me is who likes to brag about the size of their kill.

I was simply making my point that not ever single deer (buck) that could get in the book gets in ...

so that in my opinion it does not show how successful AR has been in Pa...

since I do not want to do the research maybe you can just supply this answer...

What's the average age of the record book bucks ????

Since Pa is still harvesting 80% of all legal bucks each and every year I imagine there is not YET alot of deer reaching 4-5 years old and my guess is that the average age for all the buck in the book is 3-4 years old if not older ....not 1.5s and 2.5s like most of Pa's harvested bucks still are each year...

Bucks do not get their best racks til 4-5 years old, and according to figures I have seen we still do not have that many of that age running around...

keep in mind the #4 archery season buck was just killed LAST YEAR.. since AR .. using a crossbow and he was in the older than 2.5 category..!!!

so maybe we will see more trophy book bucks killed now by a crossbow during the early season or at least the opportunity is there now.. while there is less pressure on those mature bucks than in rifle season..

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/31 14:17:10
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 14:28:23 (permalink)
If you want to pick and choose, only 2 of the top 10 non tpyical archery bucks have been killed since AR. Not every single deer has EVER been entered but the book represents a good cross section of the trophy bucks and as Carl Roe stated the buck harvest is what determines the status of the herd. There are good bucks being entered every year and good bucks have been entered every year since they started keeping records. Some years more than others. No doubt the crossgun will account for some record bucks. One can only hope the put them in the rifle catagory where they belong. Actually you should see many archery bucks showing up as, especially with the reduced deer herd archery is your best chance to harvest any legal buck.I see Ohio's archers and crossgunners now account for 35% of the total kill.
post edited by S-10 - 2010/08/31 14:36:13
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 14:51:30 (permalink)
No research needed.... I could care less about the books.. all they show me is who likes to brag about the size of their kill.

Kinda like putting up hero shots with the fish we catch.....  Braggards anyway......

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 14:52:46 (permalink)
OUCH
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 15:07:29 (permalink)
Yes..

we all like to "show-off" our trophies...

but I certainly would not use "trophy pictures" or "record books" to represent the everyday conditions being it hunting or fishing..

I've seen your walleye pics for example and I bet that not everyone catches fish like that, and I bet you do not catch walleyes of that size all the time.....

so I do not see you claiming that is the norm for that body of water...or stating since maybe that lake does not have many record book walleyes in it .. that it is not a good lake to fish...
or the PFBC is ruining fishing there because there are not tons of record book walleye caught there.......

I just don';t agree that record books are a good basis for over-all opinions..
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/31 15:09:55
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 15:45:39 (permalink)

Yes..

we all like to "show-off" our trophies...

but I certainly would not use "trophy pictures" or "record books" to represent the everyday conditions being it hunting or fishing..

I've seen your walleye pics for example and I bet that not everyone catches fish like that, and I bet you do not catch walleyes of that size all the time.....

so I do not see you claiming that is the norm for that body of water...or stating since maybe that lake does not have many record book walleyes in it .. that it is not a good lake to fish...
or the PFBC is ruining fishing there because there are not tons of record book walleye caught there.......

No, but the record books can give you a good idiea how many are making it to the 3-4-5 year old deer..

As for the eyes, I cannot say I catch eyes that size every trip, I did get skunked once last year...

Other than that I have found a spot after 30 years of fishing that is like your little hemlock patch where you are able to harvest a doe year after year....I can go there and spank nice eyes..

The pictures do represent what is available if you are willing to put some time in..Kinda like killing a buck.

Absolutely no complaints from me on the size of the eyes or the size of the deer herd..Only problem with the deer herd is people expecting and getting multiple tags and making sure they fill every last one so they have enough to eat....
I work for a living and buy beef for red meat of choice..
I only hunt deer for the wall, and if it's not bigger than what is on the wall I will not shoot it...
But will still be eating a good Angus steak that night..

Would like to see you go three years without a doe tag as my grandfather had to do years ago, he was feeding 6 kids and needed the red meat but alas a war veteran and tax payer of this state and 65 years old to boot gets no doe tag for three years running....And the man never complained 1 iota....

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 19:46:09 (permalink)

You are probably right if I did not get an antlerless tag or a DAMP this year I would be complaining...

And for what it's worth.. the heart doctor tells me I can eat all the venison I want..

BUT stay away from too much beef ... once or twice a month at best for beef .. no pork... no bacon.. no sausage.. no cheese, et, etc ... it's call a "low cholesterol heart diet"

so those two deer harvested sure help on the meat front...

Do you think your Dad was just unlucky or was he applying to counties that usually sold out ?? Jefferson usually had tags left until the end and out-of-staters could even get them... BTW = I think that is why there are so many camps from Ohio around here ..

"scouting for does".... interesting I have on countless times read "find the does and the bucks will follow".... so I find the does but the bucks (legal ones) just don't appear during that average 4 hour hunt.... and after harvesting my two deer my excitement about harvesting another deer is not that great...

as for putting off shooting the first adult doe .. I tried that theory back when I did alot of archery hunting... pass on the small bucks and wait for the bigger ones.. that cost me many years of no buck harvests in archery season.. so I dropped that idea and now take the first legal ADULT deer I have a tag for...

"fillinmg tags" = I have licenses for 4 deer... I know I could get three antlerless then concentrated on a fourth deer (a buck) but we only need two deer for food.. so I will not fill a tag just to fill it.... and if this year a legal buck shows up I'll take him and a doe for my 2 deer...

I read on message boards all the time about guys hunting and hunting and seeing only a couple deer for the season period.. at least I get to see deer even if they are antlerless and small bucks at my spots

And I'll bet a youngster would be just as excited about seeing antlerless deer even if he did not see a legal buck, and come to think of it, they can shoot the "scrubs".. you just have to find the deer.. If I had a youth to take hunting he or she could have possibly harvested a couple of those 9 bucks since 2002 that I have seen... and probably be happy as hell...
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 22:46:18 (permalink)
The ANF never supported 60-80 Dpsqm....

Not as a whole across the ANF but there most certainly were that many deer in the regenerating clear-cuts on the ANF back in the 80s and 90s. The clear-cuts didn’t make up the majority of the forested habitat of the ANF but it was enough to keep the average deer populations for the ANF at levels well in excess of twenty deer per square mile through the winter and much higher than that pre-season.

Once those clear-cuts grew out of the reach of the deer, with no new cuts to replace them, those same areas that were supporting 60-80 over winter deer per square mile declined to where they would only support 2-7 over winter deer per square mile. That drove the ability of the total habitat across the ANF down to where it could no longer support anything close to 20 over winter deer per square mile.

The habitat and wildlife management professionals watched the habitat declining and knew the area was going to have far fewer deer in the future. Yet, there was noting they could do about improving the habitat since they were prevented from doing the cutting needed to re-establish the habitat needed to support higher deer numbers. The only thing they could do was to allow the hunters to reduce the deer numbers or watch them starve through the winters.

Here are a couple quotes on the B&D ratio..

From Dpms,

New issue of North American Whitetail Magazine has a feature on the Pa deer managemant plan and it's progress.  Chris Rosenberry states that the current buck to doe ratio in Pa. is 1/2.

From an HPA thread,

About a month or so ago I was debating the buck to doe ratio in the state and had said I would ask the deer biologist. I had emailed and herd nothing until today. I recieved an email from Jeannine Tardiff Fleegle stating that the AVERAGE buck to adult doe ratio in the state is 1 buck to 1.8 does. As we know localized areas may vary greatly. That is the official word from the PGC.

Cameras around here show about a 1-3 mabee 1-4 buck to doe...
But mabee the cameras lie too......;

That all seems to be very consistent with what the wildlife survey route volunteers have been seeing here in Elk County in recent years. They have seen adult buck/doe ratios ranging from 1:2.58 – 1:3.08 since antler restrictions.

R.S. Bodenhorn

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 22:49:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

n the statewide data you just presented, people have to understand that the first thing you have to do is totally remove those male fawns from that breeding season’s equation since male fawns are not breeding mature their first fall. When you calculate the adult buck to adult doe (absolutely breeding mature deer) you end up with a breeding adult buck/adult doe ratio of 1 : 7.44. That really was a horrible ratio in view of the fact that it has recently been revealed that most adult bucks only manage to bred 1-3 does per year even where the deer are confined to small areas and the adult buck/doe ratio is less than 1 : 2.

You are absolutely flat out wrong since the data I posted represented the over wintering population estimate after hunting season. Therefore,all of the fawns in that population would be adult deer by the next breeding season,so the adult breeding B/D ratio was better than 1:2.3 as I stated. The fact that you want to include the fawns in the adult breeding B/D ratio indicates that you either don't understand the meaning of the term or that you are intentionally trying to mislead others that there was a problem with the B/D ratio before ARs were implemented.

You are correct that I was wrong. I didn’t read the entire Wallingford comment that represented the data as being post season. I read the first sentence where it said pre-season and used that to calculate. That was my mistake, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that it still leaves a shortage of breeding mature bucks to accomplish the breeding during the correct time period the following year.

You also want to remove those juvenile does from the breeding equation but that is not the way nature does it because nature doesn’t discount them since the bucks spend time tracking and breeding them as they come into estrus. Many of them are also cycling at the same time and adult does are and we were ending up with adult does not getting bred because of not having enough bucks to cover both the adult and juvenile does cycling in some areas.

It certainly is true that the buck/doe is self-correcting to about a 1:2 ratio as long as you have good fawn recruitment each year. But, it is also well documented that many areas don’t have good fawn recruitment many years, especially the years following hard winters and the area of the state with poor habitat. The wildlife survey teams in Elk County documented preseason adult buck/adult doe ratios that ranged between 1:3.34 and 1:4.67 during the years between 1997 and 2003, the first year following antler restrictions and the added bucks from the previous year. Since antler restrictions they have documented the adult buck/adult doe ratio between 1:2.58 and 1:3.08. I suspect there were and still are similar to Elk County buck/doe ratios across much of the northern tier.

Nor am I convinced that even a 1:2 buck ratio should be considered as good enough or even suitable. Nature produces fawns at a nearly one to one sex ratio, slightly slanted higher toward the males. Natural mortality, without the influence of hunting, also removes deer at about a one to one sex ratio slightly higher toward male mortality. Therefore, nature seems to intend for the sex ratio to be about one to one for both adult and juvenile deer in a naturally balanced deer herd. Though most people, including Biologists, have very likely been mistaken when they promoted a 1:2 buck/doe ratio as being suitable in the past. As more and more evidence is coming in from DNA results it is becoming more evident that most bucks only bred about one doe per year even where the buck/doe ratio and age structures are well balanced.

I seriously doubt that trying to intentionally maintain a deer population that is out of balance with what nature intended would prove to be what is best for the future of the deer or the deer hunter once all of the real facts about deer management were realized.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 22:54:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

As for RSB remark that you quoted...

As you know I have attend many of his SGL tours and listened to his deer presentation following the tour and even had him at our local club to give the same presentation...

I have not heard him make that statement...

Although I do recall him saying to maintain that type ratio more adult does need to be harvested than adult bucks...

but.. IMHO... he is free to say what he feels is true... and we can listen and form our own opinions based on his remarks and others... we nedd to listen to both sides of discussions so we can form our own opinions based on our beliefs not from pressure from others on either side...

But he is not free to misrepresent the data in order to mislead others. The issue of the B/D ratio has been debated on numerous occasions and it has been documented that our B/D ratio has been around 1:2 since the early 80's. It is irresponsible for anyone to post misleading information which only confuses the issue while benefiting no one. Opinions should be based on established facts rather than on the personal opinions of a WCO that obviously doesn't understand the issue.

I assure you I have never intentionally mislead anyone.

I have however frequently pointed out the ways you use snippets of out of text information and quotes to misrepresent both the facts and the truth. You can rather suspect that I will continue to do so too.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 23:09:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

RSB-- I think your explanation of the deer hunting on the ANF is a bit misleading also. According to the KQDC studies done on both the ANF and private areas surrounding the ANF there were 24 DPSM on the ANF in 2002. I would consider that good hunting. The same study shows 8 dpsm in 2008 as a result of doe hunting. I would consider that poor hunting. While I would agree that the lack of timbering had a negative impact on deer numbers it wasn't nearly as significant as the impact of the PGC's actions on the doe population.

First of all the KQDC is but a very, very small area of the ANF. Second since it has been managed totally different than the rest of the ANF there is no valid nor logical comparison to what is occurring on the rest of the ANF.

The KQDC has always been its own DMAP unit aside from the ANF. The KQDC is the only part of the ANF that has been under DMAP for the past several years so it would only be logical that the area would have fewer over winter deer.

But, the fact of the matter is that even with the higher deer harvest per square mile on the KQDC the fall pre-season deer populations there don’t seem to be any lower than they are in other parts of the ANF where there have been both fewer hunters and deer harvest the past several years. That is because most areas of the ANF don’t have more deer because the habitat simply can’t support more deer.

The habitat in some areas of the ANF is starting to show some signs of improvement and deer numbers are starting to increase right along with the habitat though. That increase in deer is only a positive though if hunters harvest enough of the deer to keep them from damaging the improved habitat to the point it can’t continue to support those slightly higher deer densities.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 23:36:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Also wrong on the number of Fawn does available for breeding...
Ranges from 45% to 6% depending on area of the state...

Though it varies by area and even by year the statewide average is about 30% of the juvenile does being bred each year.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 00:00:52 (permalink)

If you want to pick and choose, only 2 of the top 10 non tpyical archery bucks have been killed since AR. Not every single deer has EVER been entered but the book represents a good cross section of the trophy bucks and as Carl Roe stated the buck harvest is what determines the status of the herd. There are good bucks being entered every year and good bucks have been entered every year since they started keeping records. Some years more than others. No doubt the crossgun will account for some record bucks. One can only hope the put them in the rifle catagory where they belong. Actually you should see many archery bucks showing up as, especially with the reduced deer herd archery is your best chance to harvest any legal buck.I see Ohio's archers and crossgunners now account for 35% of the total kill.

Since the subject of record book bucks has come up I will share some information provided to me by an individual you put all of the gun harvest record book bucks and their antler measurement into an excel spread sheet by year. From that he was able to determine the number of bucks for each yearly time period and also their average antler measurements.

I found it pretty interesting.

Time period……………….# of entries………………Average antler measurement
Prior to 1910………………..5……………………………….153.975
1911-1920………………….10………………………………152.663
1921-1930………………….82………………………………151.295
1931-1940…………………118……………………………...151.585
1941-1950…………………213……………………………...154.007
1951-1960…………………151……………………………...150.398
1961-1970…………………177……………………………...148.598
1971-1980…………………121……………………………...149.230
1981-1990…………………239……………………………...149.900
1991-2000…………………228………………………………151.558
2001-2007………………….97……………………………….153.554

By year since 2001

Time period……………….# of entries………………Average antler measurement
2001………………………….8……………………………..160.047
2002…………………………16…………………………….153.711
2003…………………………13…………………………….151.019
2004…………………………11…………………………….160.682
2005…………………………11…………………………….148.977
2006…………………………27…………………………….152.782
2007…………………………11…………………………….150.943

It must also be recognized that it generally takes about five to ten years to get the majority of the record book bucks into be measured so it is pretty safe to say there will continue to be entries made for bucks shot in the past several years for several more years.

R.S. Bodenhorn  
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 00:51:46 (permalink)
If im not mistaken, wasnt 2006 the year that was a first official pgc scoring session year in several years, they werent held for several years previous, supposedly claimed because of pgc budget restraints at the time?

That would also explain the higher entries for that year, as i believe those are the years of MEASUREMENT, not year of harvest.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 07:57:52 (permalink)
"as for putting off shooting the first adult doe .. I tried that theory back when I did alot of archery hunting... pass on the small bucks and wait for the bigger ones.. that cost me many years of no buck harvests in archery season.. so I dropped that idea and now take the first legal ADULT deer I have a tag for..."

And that is how AR/HR was designed to work hand in hand.  When a hunter would not find a legal buck to shoot, they would take the first legal deer thay could, which would be a doe.  AR was the means to the HR ends.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 08:04:09 (permalink)
RSB,

First, you seem to be taking a little bit of a beating here.  Sorry for that.  Those that watch this board just tend to be very passionate about the subject.

That being written. I do have a question for you.  In a post above you state:

"that still doesn’t negate the fact that it still leaves a shortage of breeding mature bucks to accomplish the breeding during the correct time period the following year"

If I am not mistaken, in the video put out by the PGC to help sell AR, there was a statement that "90% of does in PA are successfully bred."  Since that is kennel like success on breeding percentage, how does that square with your statement that there is a shortage of breeding mature bucks?  With that type of success, it seems that some buck is taking the plunge.

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 08:21:22 (permalink)
Danes,

Having been through 6, count them, 6, company mergers/sales, rest assured that those in the top 2 to 4 layers of a bureaucratic organization NEVER get hurt when it happens.  Having been in on the planning and implementation of two of them, I have first hand knowledge of the procedures, strategies, and dealsthat get it done.

Some change jobs, but do not lose salary.  Some get bought out to leave.  Some get to hang onto their job until they find something of equal or greater value (does Doug Austin of the PFBC ring a bell).  Some retire (does Alt come to mind) because they have the time in.  Some get a deal to retire, like when your school district give 5 years of service credit for every 4 served.  How many years does Roe have in?  How many years does Rosenberry have in?  How many years do any of the top 2 to 4 layers have in?  How many more do they need to reach 20, 25, 30, or the max retirement cap, whatever that might be?

Attrition through retirement, voluntary, enhanced service years, or forced (with enough years) would easily handle this merger duplication of personnel issue in the upper reaches of the organization.  It doesn't even need to be solely on the PGC side either.  Those that can go early into retirement from the other side of the coin, DCNR, more than likely would volunteer -- especially if they were able to cut a deal on extra credit for years served.

As for the soldiers in the rank and file, no one cares about them.  Hence the reason Doc is being told no one wants the merger.  This is who he communicates with.  They are the ones that may, and that is a very big little word, may be affected.  Again, after attrition through retirement, it will mean a minimal number of people that will need to be dealt with.  The biologists have no worries, plants and and animals are different enough to need both.  Enforcement officers might be on the block to some degree.  It is namely the support staff, like Press Secretary, and administrative assistants that will get the axe.  They always to do, in any merger.  But, except for those that actually get cut, their being collateral damage is of little or no consequence to those making the decisions.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 08:44:15 (permalink)
RSB--- If most areas of the ANF can't support deer numbers greater than the 8-10 dpsm now explain how they managed to support them right up until the day the PGC started AR/HR. Both the constant deer harvest and record book shows that in fact the forest had been and still was supporting the 20+ dpsm all through the 90's even after the timbering stopped.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 10:59:48 (permalink)
This is who he communicates with.
====NOT FAIR =====

When I post an E-mail reply to a question I rarely give-out who tells me what at the PGC..
so you have no way of knowing who I communicate with...

If you ever see Carl Roe for example.. ask if he knows "Dr. Trout"...

my address book has MANY contacts in Harrisburg or others in the PGC

not meant to be self-promoting.. just that I use many contacts and NONE want a merger, nor do the senators or representatives of the committee ... or my local two... politicians have a lot to lose if they make the wrong decision... or back the wrong plan...

Off to work for me !!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/01 11:04:00
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 12:27:58 (permalink)

This is who he communicates with.
====NOT FAIR =====

When I post an E-mail reply to a question I rarely give-out who tells me what at the PGC..
so you have no way of knowing who I communicate with...

If you ever see Carl Roe for example.. ask if he knows "Dr. Trout"...

my address book has MANY contacts in Harrisburg or others in the PGC

not meant to be self-promoting.. just that I use many contacts and NONE want a merger, nor do the senators or representatives of the committee ... or my local two... politicians have a lot to lose if they make the wrong decision... or back the wrong plan...

Off to work for me !!

Doc,

Have you ever worked for a corporation?  Have you ever worked for a corporation that was in the process of a sale or merger?

Those in the know won't or can't tell you about it because it is their skin if they do and those not in the know are against changing anything.

If you honestly think that Roe would tell you what was afoot just because you have met or share emails, you are far more innocent than I would have ever thought.

Heck, I was pheasant hunting with a top executive the day before we were sold and he never hinted that it was going to happen, even when I asked him directly.  He obviously knew, but couldn't say a word, perhaps in case it fell thorugh at the last minute (doesn't sound like the DCNR/PGC merger does it) -- and he was my direct boss and hunting buddy -- not just a casual aquaintance.  In fact, he took a cell call during our hunting trip that I later found out was the confirmation of the sale (I didn't even know the sale was a possibility) and his response was "it was nothing" when I asked him what the call was about and why it was important to take it while the dog was on point!

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 12:58:35 (permalink)
Dar, Doesn't it amaze you that aftr 3 decades of highly publicized buyouts, mergers, hostile takeovers and bankrupucys there are still people who don't believe they can happen or that everyone gets a say in what happens.
It stands to reason that no one was going to admit to being in favor of the PGC DCNR merger for fear of their job if it didn't happen as well as to enable them to test the feelings of others.Many folks had to be in favor of it or it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did. Some folks must have lived in a cave the last 30 years as there have been literly hundreds of them including many dozens in Pennsylvania alone. The first thing you learn in management is if you want to keep your job you you don't bad mouth your superiors and you keep your mouth shut about certain aspects of company business. Doc, you can count on your contacts telling you exactly what they want you to know and pass on and nothing more. It's just the nature of the beast. They didn't get where they are by being blabbermouths.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 13:11:44 (permalink)
You are correct that I was wrong. I didn’t read the entire Wallingford comment that represented the data as being post season. I read the first sentence where it said pre-season and used that to calculate. That was my mistake, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that it still leaves a shortage of breeding mature bucks to accomplish the breeding during the correct time period the following year.

There you go again attempting to intentionally mislead readers of this MB. In the very article this thread is about, Dr. R. stated that,

" In PA most adult does are bred in mid-Nov. and sexually mature female fawns tend to peak about two weeks later. Other aspects of the breeding ecology ,such as pregnancy rates and embryo counts, have also remained at stable and healthy levels.
Based on these data,it appears APRs did not significantly change the timing of breeding in PA."

Furthermore, since no one knows the percentage of fawns that reach sexual maturity each year, it is impossible to calculate the percentage of female fawns that should be bred that aren't bred, so you are no factual data to support your claim that there weren't enough buck to breed the fawns before APRs. Furthermore, since fawn breeding rates did not increase significantly after APRs were implemented, proves beyond a doubt your theory was wrong but you still persist in pushing a theory that has no basis in fact.
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 13:41:24 (permalink)

Dar, Doesn't it amaze you that aftr 3 decades of highly publicized buyouts, mergers, hostile takeovers and bankrupucys there are still people who don't believe they can happen or that everyone gets a say in what happens.
It stands to reason that no one was going to admit to being in favor of the PGC DCNR merger for fear of their job if it didn't happen as well as to enable them to test the feelings of others.Many folks had to be in favor of it or it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did. Some folks must have lived in a cave the last 30 years as there have been literly hundreds of them including many dozens in Pennsylvania alone. The first thing you learn in management is if you want to keep your job you you don't bad mouth your superiors and you keep your mouth shut about certain aspects of company business. Doc, you can count on your contacts telling you exactly what they want you to know and pass on and nothing more. It's just the nature of the beast. They didn't get where they are by being blabbermouths.

Yes, it amazes me.

It got the point that my reports would start to ask me about a rumor and would answer themselves with -- "If you could tell me you would.  If you can't you won't.  So why am I bothering to ask?"

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/01 18:31:32 (permalink)
Interesting charts that RSB posted on the rifle bucks entered in the PGC record books since the 1900's. What they show is that from 1960 forward each decade saw a significant increase in the number of bucks entered up until AR/HR and a slight increase every decade in antler mass. AS RSB said there will still be more from the AR years as time goes by just as there are additions every session from the pre AR years. The 80's and 90's averaged 23/24 per year and the AR years average 15 per year. The decade of the 90's averaged 151.6" antler score and the AR years 2002-2007 averaged 152.9". If you put 2001 in the pre AR years as you should the difference is even less. Anybody think a half percent difference and fewer bucks was worth it.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Jump to: