PGN Article On Antler Restrictions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 10:29:20 (permalink)
So you would rather hunt with the gun than the bow.

Top 10 States for Whitetail Deer

One of the best ways to start a firestorm is to publish a definitive Top 10 list. So…here is Boone and Crockett’s Top 10 States for whitetail deer, based on number of qualified entries (150+ score). Discuss accordingly!

Top 10 States to Hunt Whitetail Deer as scored by B&C:

1. Iowa: 615
2. Minnesota: 608
3. Wisconsin: 589
4. Illinois: 552
5. Texas: 316
6. Missouri: 285
7. Kentucky: 279
8. Kansas: 255
9. Ohio: 235
10. Michigan: 155

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 11:02:11 (permalink)
Want To Kill A Buck

GEORGIA-- 2006-2007 (last complete year I found)

total hunters= 241,971
buck kill = 125,324
% successful = 52%
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 11:41:22 (permalink)
Here you go doctor trout. Another state on your short list that doesnt estimate lol.-- VIRGINIA DOESNT ESTIMATE EITHER

From the link: "In contrast to many states that estimate their annual deer kill, Virginia's deer kill figures represent an actual known minimum count."

Well, guess thats it for your list.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/29 11:49:50
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 11:47:36 (permalink)
I agree s10. As far as that goes, we can go all over the place...

Compare the success rates to Tn. Last i seen in 05/06 dcnr said that 43% of hunters there took AT LEAST ONE deer....

South Carolina harvested 124,522 bucks in 2007.... Pa was 109k i believe? And that was with FAR FAR fewer hunter in Sc.

Compare Alabana....
Compare Mississippi....
Compare Ohio....
Comare WV...

Success rates
are basically the most important issue to the hunter gnerally speaking, and they are better just about EVERYWHERE that ive checked that is able to be compared and compared logically.. I havent looked into the very extreme worst low dd states like Maine etc.. Just assuming they have lower success rate. Im sure that'll make everyone feel better. lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/29 11:53:51
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 12:38:29 (permalink)
While reading an article on deer hunting in Iowa I found this quote to be quite interesting.

"Cultivated crops, mainly corn and soybeans, provide 78 percent of the annual diet of deer in Iowa. They are utilized early during the growing season and again from October to April. A large portion of this fall and winter use is limited to agricultural residue remaining in fields after harvest. Woody browse such as buckbrush, oak and sumac provides 13 percent of the diet and is utilized in the summer and fall and during periods of heavy snowfall.
in the winter. Various forbs make up five percent of the diet and are utilized heavily in the spring and summer along with grass. Deer will use free water daily, if available, but can subsist a long time on water provided by succulent food items."

Apparently Iowa deer depend very little on browse for their survival and the fact that they rely heavily on crops might help to explain why their deer are so big.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 12:58:32 (permalink)
Good point Deerfly.

And the pa game commission goes according to the pipe-dream that ag lands and abandoned reverting ag lands, edge habitat and others are not deer habitat! lol. Nope. Nothin' but mature timber, pole timber or early successional. According to pgc, pastures.... Grown up fields... Briar thickets.... crop fields... Food plots... NONE of it is considered deer habitat even though deer use it whether they like it or not, and its some of the best habitat types you can possibly have....but nope, they lump them in with walmarts, parking lots and city streets as "non-habitat" lmao.

Our fine commission has some strange views.8D]
post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/29 13:54:59
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 17:19:03 (permalink)
When I hunted the midwest we didn't even go out until the corn had been harvested because most of the deer lived right in the corn fields all summer and early fall until they were forced out into the briar and brush choked ravines and creek bottoms.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 18:42:50 (permalink)
The bottom line remains that our herd is being managed for the benefit of the timber industry and DCNR rather than on the MSY carrying capacity of the habitat. Guys like DPSM and DT still may have good hunting, but the majority of PA hunters have seen a significant decrease in the quality of the hunting in their normal hunting grounds. And, the solution to their poor hunting is not moving to a new area because that would not increase the sustainable buck harvest since we are still harvesting 80% of our AR legal buck. Furthermore, the quality of hunting is not based solely on the harvest rate. For many hunters the quality of hunting is based on the number of deer they see, not how many deer they harvest and all the PGC data shows the herd has been reduced by at least 45% statewide and by a much higher percentage in areas like 2G.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 19:09:46 (permalink)
I agree deerfly. But a good, sustainable harvest rate for a states hunters would also equate to decent deer sightings on the average as well.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 19:38:06 (permalink)
I would agree that would be true in states that don't place a limit on the number of deer hunters. But, in states where they limit the number of hunters in each management unit you can have high hunter success rates with relatively low deer densities.

Also, remember that buck hunting success rates in PA are about the same as they were 20 years ago,even though hunters are seeing a lot fewer deer.
post edited by deerfly - 2010/08/29 19:59:53
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 20:12:31 (permalink)
Once again S-10 uses my buck hunting success to make a point... now just what that point is I have no idea..

Doc's last buck was taken just prior to HR/AR but he still tells us how great things are in his area

I have said time and time again I do not target bucks and could care less if I shoot one.. I want meat in my freezer and in the past 12 years I have hunted I harvested 2 deer for 8 of those years.. including the last 4 in a row ... I could care less if they were bucks... they all tasted basically the same..

Using the hunting style of a 65 year old guy with a heart condition to prove a point on if the buck hunting or deer hunting in general around here is good or bad is silly..

that's like me saying..

""Dr. Trout has NEVER caught a trout in the Clarion River using a fly rod, but he insists on saying fly fishing for trout is good on the Clarion River...""

duh ... I have never used a fly rod on the Clarion but that does not mean I do not if it is good or not...!!!!!

As you read in my 2001 journal entry above.. I even said then (back in 2001) I did not care about harvesting a buck big or small.. but I wanted an archery kill... so even back then it proves I am not and have never been a "serious buck hunter".. I hunt deer.... if a legal buck happens along back then or this year .. he's down... a legal one just has not crossed my path since AR started.. maybe one will come by this year... I did see spikes last year..

To be a succesful season for me I need to harvest a deer... any deer will do ..... considering I am targeting does mainly and wanting to continue my successful years in a row of a deer harvest since moving here (22 years now).. it does not bother me.. a dead deer is a dead deer...I have seen bucks while carrying a rifle .. just not legal ones...

I went back thru my journals and got some averages since 2002 (AR/HR) for my hunting style in this area of 2F.... 7 years (1 year I did not hunt at all)

I hope my calculations are correct

I averaged 7 days of hunting the woods in rifle season per year...

My average trip lasted 4 hours...

I averaged seeing 3 deer every trip in the woods..which translates to almost a deer every hour in the woods...a total of 144 antlerless and 9 bucks..

I averaged 1.6 deer harvested per year...

yep.. sounds like pretty good hunting to me for a guy my age... I LOVE 2F.....

but others may think that is bad deer hunting .. to each his own....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/29 20:17:56
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 21:34:46 (permalink)
You forgot to mention that most of them were doe that you feed and photograph in your back yard 11 months of the year and even have names for them they are so tame and conditioned to coming to the same place day after day. In all due respect I hardly think your hunting style or success has anything to do with deer numbers in 2F. In fact you yourself have said both on this site and your own that hunting and deer numbers basically suck on the ANF which makes up a great deal of 2f. No matter what you say, If you haven't seen a legal buck in 153 deer (144 doe)during the end of the rut, you are living proof that AR/HR is not working as claimed.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 23:13:19 (permalink)
You forgot to mention that most of them were doe that you feed and photograph in your back yard

In the past 7 years only half were within a 1/4 mile of the house ... the other 6 were at clear creek 4 miles away...

It's like hunting on private property.. living and hunting on the same property.. even though it is actually SGL#54 ....

I like the fact I know a bunch of good spots in 2F but I keep going to the "stand-by" spots to harvest mine.. telling folks about others spots just gives me pleasure because I realize I have been blessed by being able to live where I can hunt or fish everyday and have to travel less than 20 miles to enjoy either...After telling someone of a spot to hunt or fish I especially enjoy it when they are successful there and that has happened many times !!!!

FOR EXAMPLE = I think (if memory serves me correctly) I made 4 "webpage reports" last year about great spots I scouted to hunt and even attached photos of deer I saw there and I hunted NONE of them..

you are living proof that AR/HR is not working as claimed

No.. it's living proof I am hunting the wrong area if I want to shoot a legal buck...

There were three legal bucks harvested within a half mile of my house last year.. one was a great 8 pointer...

In fact you yourself have said both on this site and your own that hunting and deer numbers basically suck on the ANF

How true .. you could not pay me to hunt the ANF

I even quit scouting that area in the mid 80s and I have not been back since if memory serves me correctly....

and if you look I listed three areas that are good hunting in 2F and also mentioned there are areas that SUCK.... what's you point ?????

ANF = Sucks
#54 = good
#44 = good
CCSF = very good
many private properties leased = excellent
private, open with permission = fair to good

some of the lumber company properties are good some are bad and there are a couple that are terrible and you could not pay me to hunt there..

one of which I think you like to hunt, but I could be wrong on that one...

I still say as a whole 2F is good deer hunting and anyone wanting to harvest "a deer" in 2F should probably give me a call !!!!!!!

I may even send them over your way to a couple spots I was told about last year...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/29 23:14:08
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/29 23:19:05 (permalink)
Deerfly says: But, in states where they limit the number of hunters in each management unit you can have high hunter success rates with relatively low deer densities.

You got me there. Good point.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 08:20:30 (permalink)
Doc---The PGC claims 50% of the bucks are 2-1/2 or better.
------The PGC claims HR/AR has led to MORE AND BETTER bucks.
Since AR/HR you have seen 9 bucks, NONE of which were legal.
You are living proof AR/HR failed in producing MORE AND BETTER bucks.

The PGC Claims a buck/doe ratio near 2-1
You have seen 144 doe and 9 bucks since the start of AR/HR.
That is a 16-1 ratio
You are living proof that AR/HR has failed in your area.

I suggest that if you insist on maintaining the PGC is doing the right thing you refrain from posting your hunting notes showing just the opposite.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 11:08:56 (permalink)
What part of what I post do you NOT read or understand....

my style hunting proves only that I hunt a good area for my targeted prey....

My average hunt last 4 Hours !!!!!

If I hunted longer or walked another 1/4 mile who knows what I would see in that area.

Most of the guys that have camps here (usually 12-14 total, only 3 of us over 60)see more deer... harvest more bucks.. and hunt all day.... none have harvest as many deer as me on the first day.. one guy (a Pittsburgh Policeman) gets a buck almost every year and he sits about a 1/4 mile away but across the creek. He's second to me in harvest numbers.. Takes him a half hour to get to that spot (all DOWN HILL) coming from the opposite direction and he has hunted there as long as he has been hunting here...

Another camp (4 guys from Ohio) usually average one buck a year for the camp.. from either here (2 guys)or a spot I told one of at Clear Creek (1 guy)and the other hunts someplace on SGL#54 by the site of the old game school.... and the two here hunt different areas and move alot during their time in the woods and the four hunt Monday to Thursday of the first week. The other camp (policemen)hunt just Monday and half a day Tuesday.

I'll get photos of the bucks taken here this season JUST FOR YOU !!!

and remember I have always said this is not a good area for bucks... except at night in the farm fields.. they head to posted property... especially the week-end before.. almost all the camps here spend Saturday and Sunday shooting rifles... sounds like a 2 days war zone...older bucks are not stupid...

I think the PGC speaks "in general" for an entire WMU... common sense tells me not every area is the same, only you could think that... just like my little 2-3 square mile area does not reflex some of the areas at clear creek for example, or on SGL#44 (I have NEVER hunted there ... just walk around there a lot and know several that hunt there year after year successfully).. or an area of SGL#54 that's 5 miles away and that is where I have harvested the most bucks over all the years I have hunted here since 1960 ... I just can't get there anymore......the buck/doe ratio right around my place has ALWAYS been terrible even in the good old day you would see four times more does than bucks... I'd estimate the ratio at 6 or 7 to 1... not even all of the 4 mature does I feed last year got bred, only two have fawns...

It started getting better when HR started... the Ohio guys would help by taking a few does.. now they can not even get a tag... of the 13 guys here last year only 3 of us had 2F tags... and 2 of us took does.... the other is an older guy that does not go into the woods very far... most of the guys from down around Pittsburgh had tags for Allegheny County and were going to fill them down there...

say what you want.. you do not know this area... anyone from around here will tell you two things...

1... plenty of deer to hunt
2... hard to fine bucks while hunting on the game lands around the farm fields here..

You are living proof AR/HR failed in producing MORE AND BETTER bucks

I am living proof AR/HR failed in producing more or better bucks and reducing the antlerless by 50% in the 2-3 square miles behind my house... YEP have never said differently...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/30 11:16:44
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 11:20:08 (permalink)
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 11:29:50 (permalink)
Guys from Ohio having a camp here is amazing in itself. Must have friends or family here.

Ive visited a few ohio message boards through recent years, and usually they are laughing about Pa and making wise cracks about hunting here or the management practices when someone would bring it up.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/30 11:30:46
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 11:49:43 (permalink)
There are ALOT of camps in this area that the owners are from Ohio..

I personally know of 4 and there are lots of folks coming into the store on week-end from Ohio who have camps in the area...

The 4 at the near-by camp hunt here because they like shooting rifles.... they also hunt and harvest in Ohio each year... one using his crossbow...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/30 11:52:31
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 12:37:45 (permalink)
the buck/doe ratio right around my place has ALWAYS been terrible even in the good old day you would see four times more does than bucks... I'd estimate the ratio at 6 or 7 to 1... not even all of the 4 mature does I feed last year got bred, only two have fawns...

Any time someone makes a claim like that about the B/D ratio ,it is reason enough for me to reject just about everything they say about deer management or the PGC. Anyone who thinks the adult breeding B/D ratio in PA is greater than 1:3 hasn't taken the time to educate themselves about deer ecology or deer management nor have they questioned why their observation differ so greatly from the established fact that our B/D ration has been around 1:2 since at least 1980.
1... plenty of deer to hunt
2... hard to fine bucks while hunting on the game lands around the farm fields here..

Do you consider an average of 12 OWD PSM a lot of deer. Do you consider a buck harvest rate of 2.2 buck PSM in 2F to be good hunting?
The main reason the local residents have some decent hunting in 2F is because over 200K deer hunters have quit over the last 9 years. IMHO that is a mighty poor way to get better hunting.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 13:05:54 (permalink)
There are ALOT of camps in this area that the owners are from Ohio..

Being so close to Ohio, its only understandable i guess some would come. Lots have friends and family here. Still others dont wanna quit hunting after filling Ohio tags... Or maybe its just because Pa hunting is so great? lmao. On a serious note though, i could understand how avid riflemen might wanna buy a license if they live where rifles arent legal and live fairly close by somewhere that they are.

As for out of staters in general,I hunt in wmus close to WV. I know far more guys from here, that go to WV than there are guys from WV coming here by a huge margin, though there are some...Havent run into any from Ohio down here, though, in 30 years. Even though MANY guys from around here go out to ohio. Guess it aint worth the trip if they have to travel more than 15 minutes to get here?
post edited by wayne c - 2010/08/30 13:15:17
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 17:47:11 (permalink)
Here is a prime example of why I give little credence to anything to anyone that claims we needed ARs to improve the B/D ratio. The following are the over wintering population estimates for 2001, the year before ARs were implement. The data was provided by Bret Wallingford of the PGC.
In January 2001, using the ESTIMATED preseason population (which used harvest data) and subtracting the harvest left the following deer to overwinter:

Adult bucks: 55,482
Male fawns: 282,571 (total males = 338,053)
Adult females: 412,803
Female fawns: 259,700 (total females = 672,503)

That data would produce a preseason B/D ratio of better than 1:2.2

Now here is what RSB , AKA WCO****Bodenhorn of Elk Co. had to say about the B/D ratio.
There really is what I believe to be major problem with the line of thinking that the buck/doe ratio should have been, or even could have been, corrected by simply harvesting more does.

Before antler restrictions hunter were annually harvesting about 80% of the adult buck population. Therefore, to correct the buck/doe ratio by simply harvesting does it would have required hunters to also harvest pretty close to 80% of the adult doe population every year.

In 2000 we harvested 302K antlerless deer and around 169K were adult doe so a harvest of 25% of the adult doe population kept the B/D ratio below 1:2.2. So RSB's claim that we needed to harvested 80% of the adult doe was pure nonsense, but many AR supporters will believe him because he is a WCO.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 20:19:45 (permalink)
Okay my mistake.... I'll admit to that..

I should have posted 144 antlerless deer not does..... bad habit I have just saying does...

naturally some of those deer I called does were buttonbucks and even possibly an adult buck that for what ever reason lost his antlers... and many just fawns .. not adult breeding females..

same for the 6-7 to one ratio... once again I was basing that on how many deer I see without antlers .. so that as mentioned above would include BBs, and fawns, and even maybe an antlerless buck...

ADULT buck to doe ratio is probably around 1 to 3...

my mistake.. sorry....
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 20:51:28 (permalink)
That is an explanation that I can accept and respect. A lot of hunters confuse the antlered to antlerless ratio with the adult B/D ratio. While the 1:3 ratio is still much higher than the actual ratio it is easily explained by the wariness of bucks and the difficulty of identifying individual does and their fawns. However , there is no defense for RSB's claims about the B/D ratio or the adult doe harvest rates needed to improve the B/D ratio.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 21:02:49 (permalink)
As for RSB remark that you quoted...

As you know I have attend many of his SGL tours and listened to his deer presentation following the tour and even had him at our local club to give the same presentation...

I have not heard him make that statement...

Although I do recall him saying to maintain that type ratio more adult does need to be harvested than adult bucks...

but.. IMHO... he is free to say what he feels is true... and we can listen and form our own opinions based on his remarks and others... we nedd to listen to both sides of discussions so we can form our own opinions based on our beliefs not from pressure from others on either side...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/30 21:04:03
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 21:06:07 (permalink)
GOT TO GO FOR TONITE...

17 years and 8 months of continous TV presentation....

The WWE's big celebration is on !!!!

Pro wrestling is real....

GO RANDY ORTON ..

beat SHAMUS and JOHN CENNA......

cage match THE BEST...

LATER..........
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 22:40:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

Here is a prime example of why I give little credence to anything to anyone that claims we needed ARs to improve the B/D ratio. The following are the over wintering population estimates for 2001, the year before ARs were implement. The data was provided by Bret Wallingford of the PGC.
In January 2001, using the ESTIMATED preseason population (which used harvest data) and subtracting the harvest left the following deer to overwinter:

Adult bucks: 55,482
Male fawns: 282,571 (total males = 338,053)
Adult females: 412,803
Female fawns: 259,700 (total females = 672,503)

That data would produce a preseason B/D ratio of better than 1:2.2

Now here is what RSB , AKA WCO****Bodenhorn of Elk Co. had to say about the B/D ratio.
There really is what I believe to be major problem with the line of thinking that the buck/doe ratio should have been, or even could have been, corrected by simply harvesting more does.

Before antler restrictions hunter were annually harvesting about 80% of the adult buck population. Therefore, to correct the buck/doe ratio by simply harvesting does it would have required hunters to also harvest pretty close to 80% of the adult doe population every year.

In 2000 we harvested 302K antlerless deer and around 169K were adult doe so a harvest of 25% of the adult doe population kept the B/D ratio below 1:2.2. So RSB's claim that we needed to harvested 80% of the adult doe was pure nonsense, but many AR supporters will believe him because he is a WCO.

The 2001 statewide preseason population data really is a perfect example of just why we both DID and DO need antler restrictions.

First of all even though buck/doe ratios are to a great extent self correcting provided you have normal fawn recruitment each year it is also proven to be very possible to have buck to doe ratios that are not self correcting when you heavy harvests of your adult bucks, under harvest your adult does and then have poor fawn recruitment. The fawn recruitment is the self correction mechanism of the equation so without good fawn recruitment (which happens for a number of reasons) it is very possible to have out of balance buck/doe ratios as long as you continue to harvest more adult bucks than you do adult does.

In the statewide data you just presented, people have to understand that the first thing you have to do is totally remove those male fawns from that breeding season’s equation since male fawns are not breeding mature their first fall. When you calculate the adult buck to adult doe (absolutely breeding mature deer) you end up with a breeding adult buck/adult doe ratio of 1 : 7.44. That really was a horrible ratio in view of the fact that it has recently been revealed that most adult bucks only manage to bred 1-3 does per year even where the deer are confined to small areas and the adult buck/doe ratio is less than 1 : 2.

Next you have to factor in that about 30-40% of those female fawns are also breeding mature during their first fall even though their brothers aren’t. Just adding 30% of those female fawns onto the breeding mature does then reduced the 2001 breeding mature buck/breeding mature doe ratio to a 1 : 8.84 ratio. That is such a poor breeding buck/breeding doe ratio it becomes obvious why antler restrictions were needed to have a better breeding sex ratio in the fall.

I also see you still use out of text snippets of information and quotes to discredit people and misrepresent facts.

R.S. Bodenhorn      
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/30 23:02:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

You forgot to mention that most of them were doe that you feed and photograph in your back yard 11 months of the year and even have names for them they are so tame and conditioned to coming to the same place day after day. In all due respect I hardly think your hunting style or success has anything to do with deer numbers in 2F. In fact you yourself have said both on this site and your own that hunting and deer numbers basically suck on the ANF which makes up a great deal of 2f. No matter what you say, If you haven't seen a legal buck in 153 deer (144 doe)during the end of the rut, you are living proof that AR/HR is not working as claimed.

I agree that much of the ANF (which makes up the bulk of unit 2F) has both poor deer numbers and poor deer hunting. There certainly are some exceptions that comment though when you find the few recently timbered areas with regenerating habitat.

But, I also understand why it is so poor today compared to the past and it really isn’t from hunters harvesting too many does either.

Hunters remember good deer hunting on the ANF back in the 80s and 90s because back in the 80s through to the early 90s the ANF was doing a lot of clear cutting. Those large areas of regenerating clear cuts provided enough winter food to support about 60-80 deer per square mile. The volume of those cuts meant a lot of deer could be supported on the ANF.

In the early 90s though a poorly informed environmental group, called the Allegheny Defense Project” when on a misguided mission and successfully got a Court imposes moratorium on the ANF doing any cutting. That resulted in about fifteen years of virtually no cutting on the ANF. So those many square miles of clear-cuts that were once supporting 60-80 deer per square mile grew into pole timber that supports about 2-7 deer per square mile. With no areas being cut to replace those areas that once supported 60-80 deer per square mile the deer population simply couldn’t be sustained at those once higher populations.

Though the ANF is once again doing some cutting it is still very little compared to what it once was cutting. Without the cutting it is likely there will never be as many deer in unit 2F as what there had been in the 80s and 90s but things are improving in some areas with the under story starting to improve. That is resulting in some areas seeing some modest deer population increase. Still other massive areas of the ANF are being taken over by buckthorn which is an invasive species that will possible prevent deer population recovery forever into the future.

I don’t hunt the ANF for deer very much either because there is much better deer hunting on the game lands or large timber company properties in the area.

R.S. Bodenhorn         
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 06:58:01 (permalink)
n the statewide data you just presented, people have to understand that the first thing you have to do is totally remove those male fawns from that breeding season’s equation since male fawns are not breeding mature their first fall. When you calculate the adult buck to adult doe (absolutely breeding mature deer) you end up with a breeding adult buck/adult doe ratio of 1 : 7.44. That really was a horrible ratio in view of the fact that it has recently been revealed that most adult bucks only manage to bred 1-3 does per year even where the deer are confined to small areas and the adult buck/doe ratio is less than 1 : 2.

You are absolutely flat out wrong since the data I posted represented the over wintering population estimate after hunting season. Therefore,all of the fawns in that population would be adult deer by the next breeding season,so the adult breeding B/D ratio was better than 1:2.3 as I stated. The fact that you want to include the fawns in the adult breeding B/D ratio indicates that you either don't understand the meaning of the term or that you are intentionally trying to mislead others that there was a problem with the B/D ratio before ARs were implemented.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5035
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/08/31 08:00:29 (permalink)
The ANF never supported 60-80 Dpsqm....

Here are a couple quotes on the B&D ratio..

From Dpms,

New issue of North American Whitetail Magazine has a feature on the Pa deer managemant plan and it's progress.  Chris Rosenberry states that the current buck to doe ratio in Pa. is 1/2.

From an HPA thread,

About a month or so ago I was debating the buck to doe ratio in the state and had said I would ask the deer biologist. I had emailed and herd nothing until today. I recieved an email from Jeannine Tardiff Fleegle stating that the AVERAGE buck to adult doe ratio in the state is 1 buck to 1.8 does. As we know localized areas may vary greatly. That is the official word from the PGC.

Cameras around here show about a 1-3 mabee 1-4 buck to doe...
But mabee the cameras lie too......;

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to: