Franklin/Oil City...things to do?

Author
H20Wolf
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/23 08:42:52 (permalink)

Franklin/Oil City...things to do?

Can anyone give me some suggestions for things to do in that area? I am taking my boat to Franklin for service Tuesday morning. I hope it won't take all day so we can hit the river but if it does we will need to kill some time. Thanks

19 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 09:20:59 (permalink)
    you can wade the Allegheny or French Creek at the mouth right above the 8th Street Bridge....Oil City there is the marina where its a little deeper water and also Oil Creek dumps into the Allegheny..Also Two-Mile Run County Park which is home to Justus Lake...about 6 miles out of Franklin
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 10:10:00 (permalink)
    They have a real nice bike trail if you are into biking. Just across the 8th St. bridge from Wiegel's Marine. Looking for lunch, I can recommend The Brick's on 13th St. (Rt. 322) for lunch. Nice little family bar and restaurant.
    roehead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 10:10:56 (permalink)
    There is a bike trail along the river.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 10:15:59 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. I forgot to mention my girlfriend will be with me. She won't want to go wading (lol) but we did think about the bike trail.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 11:35:31 (permalink)
    good fishing along bike trail by old kmart, but you will prolly have to wade
    Bismuth Boy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 21:39:31 (permalink)
    Just check out downtown Franklin. Great place to walk around, window-shop, check out some of the unique little shops, grab lunch at any of the nice restaurants. I assume you're going to be at Wiegel's Marina. Just park there, walk up Elk Street and check out all the beautiful Victorian houses. French Creek runs right behind them. When you get to the courthouse go caddy-corner across either of the parks, check out the monuments, and you're in the business district.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 22:12:32 (permalink)
    You did say the GF was going right? Have fun shopping at the Cranberry Mall,Oil City. lol 15 min from Wiegels Bros.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/23 22:34:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: H20Wolf

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention my girlfriend will be with me. She won't want to go wading

leave her

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/24 10:33:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bismuth Boy

Just check out downtown Franklin. Great place to walk around, window-shop, check out some of the unique little shops, grab lunch at any of the nice restaurants. I assume you're going to be at Wiegel's Marina. Just park there, walk up Elk Street and check out all the beautiful Victorian houses. French Creek runs right behind them. When you get to the courthouse go caddy-corner across either of the parks, check out the monuments, and you're in the business district.

I drove through franklin for the first time in my life a few months back, and i was shocked how cool that town was. I'm not going to lie, i was expecting it to be a boarded up dump, and i was very impressed with downtown franklin.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/24 12:42:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Accountant

I drove through franklin for the first time in my life a few months back, and i was shocked how cool that town was. I'm not going to lie, i was expecting it to be a boarded up dump, and i was very impressed with downtown franklin.

take a drive through parts of Oil City...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/24 13:20:39 (permalink)
    Great time to visit is in Oct during the Apple Fest.
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/24 14:11:47 (permalink)
    rent a canoe for a quick float. she can get some sun in the bow while you fish. It's all good around there. or bike trail it. movie theater if the weather goes to crap. or have the girls at French creek cafe pack you some sandwiches and go check out 2 Mile Run County Park (Justus Lake).
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/24 20:04:38 (permalink)
    Clarion's Autumn Leaf Festival > Applefest

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/25 05:55:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

Yep, there you'll find the boarded up dumps you were expecting.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/25 08:22:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies! We ended up having breakfast at the French Creek cafe (which was really good!) and looking around some of the stores. We drove out to Walmart and spent some time copying and printing pictures and I got a call that the boat was ready. Ended up spending about 3 hours on the river. It was beautiful out... not too hot or cold. I must say the floating weeds were really ticking me off lol! I threw for musky and couldn't raise anything. Tried to teach her how to but she could only cast 15ft and kept getting birdsnests... gotta start somewhere.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/25 13:49:49 (permalink)
    Yeah those weeds are a pain, they seem worst this year. How was the service at Wiegel's Bros.? That's great to see that there is another female Muskie Hunter on the rise.Keep teaching her she'll get it. Mine uses a 5500 C3 and hardly ever bird nests it. Good Luck fishin !
    ORIGINAL: H20Wolf

Thanks for all the replies! We ended up having breakfast at the French Creek cafe (which was really good!) and looking around some of the stores. We drove out to Walmart and spent some time copying and printing pictures and I got a call that the boat was ready. Ended up spending about 3 hours on the river. It was beautiful out... not too hot or cold. I must say the floating weeds were really ticking me off lol! I threw for musky and couldn't raise anything. Tried to teach her how to but she could only cast 15ft and kept getting birdsnests... gotta start somewhere.

H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/26 12:19:43 (permalink)
    Yeah at least she gave it a shot. I should have brought the large spinning outfit though.

Service at Weigels was good. They seem a bit hard to pin down sometimes, like they don't want to commit. I wanted to bring the boat up and have it serviced the same day cause it's a 2hr drive for me. I guess they get emergency jobs for fire dept's and such so they don't want to make promises. It seemed pretty slow there and they had it done in about 2 hours.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/27 13:05:46 (permalink)
    drop her off at the cranberry mall and go fishing
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Franklin/Oil City...things to do? 2010/08/27 14:55:52 (permalink)
    My wife works in Franklin and we have a camp on French Creek. What amazes me is how great their downtown is. Always something to do. Lots of good restaurants and some decent stores. A rarity for downtowns these days.

Do a walk around town and if you still have time, she can sit at one of the little parks while you wade for a few minutes.
    Jump to: