Backing and line help

Author
jiggerman41
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/20 12:43:54 (permalink)

Backing and line help

One last question and then i think that i will be ready for the upcoming season.I purchased a okuma vashon 7/8 mid arbor fly reel and to begin with an 8'6" 6/7 wt ugly stick fly rod.My question is how many yards of backing should i use and what weight,and how many yards of fly line?I will be going with 7wf floating.So far ive seen green,orange and white so what color should i go with.I know that im hogging up the forum but i am trying to have my stuff together so that im not 'that guy'.Thanks for any and all help.

9 Replies Related Threads

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/20 12:50:39 (permalink)
    1st off, match you rod, match your waders match your eyes, color does not matter.  for how much,  check your manual, it should tell you how many yards of backing to use with a 7wt line, it should be 160 yds of 20lb backing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/21 11:43:22 (permalink)
    Yep, 150 > 175 yds of backing.  BUT for Erie tribs 100 yds is more than enough.  Typical flyline is already pre-cut to an appropriate length so there's no worries there.  Leader - since you're using less than a 9' rod use a 7.5 foot leader with a small swivel and then 2 feet of 6# tippett (#3), and then tie your selected fly (#14 cream Sucker spawn) on the end.  We've already covered floats and split shot so you should be good to go.   Feel free to pm with any other specific questions you might have.  Line to leader either use a connector system or use a nail not.  Fly to tippett - improved clinch.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/23 13:34:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jiggerman41

One last question and then i think that i will be ready for the upcoming season.I purchased a okuma vashon 7/8 mid arbor fly reel and to begin with an 8'6" 6/7 wt ugly stick fly rod.My question is how many yards of backing should i use and what weight,and how many yards of fly line?I will be going with 7wf floating.So far ive seen green,orange and white so what color should i go with.I know that im hogging up the forum but i am trying to have my stuff together so that im not 'that guy'.Thanks for any and all help.

I noticed you asked how many yards of fly line. Most lines you'll buy are 90' in length. You need to use the full fly line. Fly lines are tapered, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cast them. If you cut a fly line, you're losing the taper and taking away it's ablility to cast a fly.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/23 14:52:32 (permalink)
    I'd load 100 yards of 20 lb backing. You probably won't ever see it. And, it is better to have too little than too much because if you have the reel spool too full you will inevitably end up not winding the fly line on smoothly and catch it against the frame. Not a major problem (unless it cuts the line) but an annoyance that is easy to avoid and can give a beginner headaches.

Plus backing comes in 100 yard spools.

Thanks
    rick
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/24 08:18:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I noticed you asked how many yards of fly line. Most lines you'll buy are 90' in length. You need to use the full fly line. Fly lines are tapered, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cast them. If you cut a fly line, you're losing the taper and taking away it's ablility to cast a fly.

And what brand of flyline and backing would you reccomend, pray tell?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/24 12:23:53 (permalink)
    When it comes to standard weight forward floating fly lines, any one of the major manufacturers will do just fine. I've had many lines from Orvis, Scientific Anglers, Rio and Cortland over the years and they've all done well. Basically, a top of the line fly line from any of the makers will cost you around $80 bucks, but you don't have to spend that much. Orvis makes a line called the Hy-Flote Silver Label line that costs $49. You could buy a double taper hy flote line, use it for 2 or 3 years, reverse it and use it for another 2 or 3. Then you've spent 50 bucks for a fly line you can use for 5 or 6 years. I say "reverse it" because a double taper line has the same taper at both ends, so you can take it off the reel and reverse it when it would be time to buy a new weight forward line. If $50 is more than you're looking to spend Orvis makes a clearwater line for $25 that works just fine for beginners. Any of your major manufacturers will have similar lines at similar price points to the orvis ones I mentioned. No matter what line you buy make sure to clean is occasionally (maybe twice a season), as a dirty line won't float as well, and casting a dirty line is more difficult than a clean one.

Backing is backing. If you want bright yellow orange you can pay more, but theres no functional need for bright backing in pennsylvania fishing. If you buy your line from a fly shop you can bring your reel in and the people there can attach the backing to the reel, put the backing on, attach the line to the backing and put it on the reel too.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/24 21:40:34 (permalink)
    Steelers/Pens colors like that FFPA kid or whatever his name is.  He used to post here all the time a couple of years ago. 

From what I gather, exactly what everyone else is saying as far as your real questions are concerned.  If you are going to be fishing in erie, you dont need anything ridiculous.  
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/25 08:14:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

When it comes to standard weight forward floating fly lines, any one of the major manufacturers will do just fine. I've had many lines from Orvis, Scientific Anglers, Rio and Cortland over the years and they've all done well. Basically, a top of the line fly line from any of the makers will cost you around $80 bucks, but you don't have to spend that much. Orvis makes a line called the Hy-Flote Silver Label line that costs $49. You could buy a double taper hy flote line, use it for 2 or 3 years, reverse it and use it for another 2 or 3. Then you've spent 50 bucks for a fly line you can use for 5 or 6 years. I say "reverse it" because a double taper line has the same taper at both ends, so you can take it off the reel and reverse it when it would be time to buy a new weight forward line. If $50 is more than you're looking to spend Orvis makes a clearwater line for $25 that works just fine for beginners. Any of your major manufacturers will have similar lines at similar price points to the orvis ones I mentioned. No matter what line you buy make sure to clean is occasionally (maybe twice a season), as a dirty line won't float as well, and casting a dirty line is more difficult than a clean one.

Backing is backing. If you want bright yellow orange you can pay more, but theres no functional need for bright backing in pennsylvania fishing. If you buy your line from a fly shop you can bring your reel in and the people there can attach the backing to the reel, put the backing on, attach the line to the backing and put it on the reel too.

Sorry, the question was actually a little bit of an inside joke.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Backing and line help 2010/08/29 18:25:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: thedrake

And what brand of flyline and backing would you reccomend, pray tell?

Jump to: