Pymatuning lake crappies ADO (after die off)

Author
eye crosser
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/19 17:28:33 (permalink)

Pymatuning lake crappies ADO (after die off)

Hit the lake this morning looking for brush piles for this years ice fishing.  Tried trolling for eyes , nothing.  So started looking for the brush piles.  I limited myself to nothing shallower than 15 feet.  Out of the 18 piles that I marked  The piles that were 20 feet or deeper produced fish.  Some were very small and some large.  The larger ones produced more fish but the smaller ones produced larger fish just not very many on the brush piles.  In 2 1/2 hours of fishing I caught and released 42 fish.  All were healthy looking and most had some weight on them.  All were caught on 1/16 jig and chartruse tail.  The fish weren't suspended above the piles but deep inside them.  If you were a foot above the piles you couldn't get a hit.  Drop the jig down until you hit the wood you would catch fish.

3 Replies Related Threads

Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Pymatuning lake crappies ADO (after die off) 2010/08/19 21:05:15 (permalink)
    Nice scouting report eye crosser.  Only fished Pymatuning a few times this summer but the crappies I caught were all nice.  More and more I believe that a lake that big can sustain a die-off even in the 15,000 - 20,000 range.  That's roughly one fish per acre.  We close our cottage in Cochranton by the end of November so when I do get up to ice fish I was wondering if you or anyone else could recommend a decent & affordable place to stay in the Pymatuning area.  I hate driving home when the crappie bite is on and I'd like to stretch out my ice fishing trips.
    beeverfishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Pymatuning lake crappies ADO (after die off) 2010/08/19 21:05:59 (permalink)
    I really doubt if the die off will have any effect in the long term. It sounded like a lot of fish, But in a lake the size of Pymatuning, it really wasn't all that bad.. Could have been much worse..
    On another note.. I have never icefished Pymatuning. Spend a lot of time up there during the summer... Not sure why I haven't been up there for ice fishing... Put that on my "places to go" list lol
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Pymatuning lake crappies ADO (after die off) 2010/08/19 21:46:32 (permalink)
    I would bet the amount of fish pulled out of that lake over the course of a calender year is greater than 15,000

15,000 fish breaks down to 41.09 fish kept per day
    Jump to: