Arthur page 42.......

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 682
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/20 10:08:43 (permalink)
Its a biggun for sure. Was Tim impressed?

Getting a late start this am but will be headin out before 11 hopefully. just got to load up the gear. Still willin to load up in your boat for the evenin bite with ya just thought I would head out now since I probably wont get out the rest of this week. I have your home number as well but my cell is . Sometimes I have reception down there. I can still meet ya at your place if ya want. Otherwise might just see ya out there.
post edited by STEELYS MANFISH - 2010/10/22 10:34:17
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/21 12:49:18 (permalink)
Idk how you guys can fish with no ice on the lake. Everytime i go i fish from the left side of the boat launch and catch some crappie and small bass but nothing to brag out. Then i go out ice fishing and fall through the ice lol i just haven't figured the lake out. We're starting to pick up some more bass and panfish in the canoe but still yet to catcha musky or a pike. Let me know how you guys do today. Good luck!
fishguymatt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/21 22:41:22 (permalink)
just moved to the cranberry area and visited arthur once to do a little exploring.....am really excited to get started shore fishing there and was just wondering what would be some general areas to get started....not looking for anyone's secret spot but would appreciate any advice...thanks in advance
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/22 10:59:41 (permalink)
Eman

Went out with Crappiefisher on his boat. The wind was kickin pretty good all day until the last hour or so of daylight. I fished for a few hours prior to meetin up with Chris and only managed 1 dinky bass. Managed to score some decent perch that evening. He taught me how to fillet em up. Spent the evenin B.S.ing with his family and had a really good time. Thanks again Chris. Cookin the perch up today for supper since the wife and I had a ton of runnin around to do yesterday.

Hopefully Ill be on the water next week.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3355
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/22 20:44:06 (permalink)
  Justin,

It was finally good to hook up with you. Maybe next Thurs. & Fri. I'll try & get out. If you wanna go maybe we can hit it around noon instead of just the eve. Timmy took a 10 point this Arthur Moon, not the Monster he was after but with school & all he said it was good enough. He didn't get it on video either. They are out there now with a long drag ahead.

later
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/24 16:27:58 (permalink)
Went out yesterday and the water is pretty low, so all the fish are just a tad bit deeper. Also rediscovered another of Murphy's Laws of fishing: when you find the fly/lure that the fish really want, you'll only have one and will soon lose it.

Rediscovered subsection one of that law, its Inverse Proportion: the longer it takes you to find said fly/lure, the SOONER you will lose it.

It took me about 3 hours to find the right fly that gave me consistent catches. When I did, I caught nice 'gills and perch and even a foot long Wiper in 6 consecutive casts. Then I snagged and lost it.

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish
cutter702000
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/10/25 18:53:32 (permalink)
The roadbed and the railroad bed.

If you kill a man, you're a murderer.... Kill many, you're a conqueror..... Kill them all, and you're a god.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9694
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/11 09:56:51 (permalink)
I've got to take advantage of the nice weekend approaching (to winterize the boat).  Might as well get my final skunking of the year on it too!  Anyone else thinking to hit Artie this weekend?  I'm torn of where to head out.  Chase the panfish or try my luck at something bigger.  Regardless, I'm just happy to float for a few hours and feel the chop of my boat barging along at 8mph...  I'm thinking the east side of the lake, since I am guessing the deeper water turned over and has the fish spread out all over the place?

Any suggestions?

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/11 16:13:30 (permalink)
Fish the brushpiles. The Crappies got the feed bag on for Winter.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/12 15:14:35 (permalink)
Thanks rippinlip.  I'll give the pan fish a shot.  The big boys can wait until next year for me to harass!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/12 18:41:05 (permalink)
Stabil Tim,

Bring lots ov minnies tip on sm. jigs hit the outside edges ov the weeds where U & I started the day that time. Should be able to pick up some Toothies along with a cooler full ov Perch/Crappie & large Gills. Remember goose hunters will be out early.

Later Dude
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/14 08:16:06 (permalink)
Thanks Chris,

My plan was to head down that way, but thought to hit Trout Cove first then swing down there.  Ended up getting enough action to stick there.  Hit a bunch of small perch, some gills and two decent sized largemouth.  Nothing spectacular, but enough action, sun and wind protection to keep me in place (not really windy at all).  Pretty sure my trolling battery is done for. 
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/18 08:33:46 (permalink)
Whats been doin Chris?  Have ya been out lately? I missed all the good days, well what I consider good days. I think I was only out 2 more days since we fished togther and I didnt do well.

My buddy gave me his one man icehouse/sled so now I gotta get a few more pieces of equip and then I may try out Arthur when the freeze comes.

Take care.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Arthur page 42....... 2010/11/18 21:29:42 (permalink)
  Tim,

Glad you had a enjoyable day on the lake. I have to go check through some batteries laying around myself before winter sets in

Justin,

Was out with my old boss for a Goose/Fish outing on Tues. Tons ov geese & his best day ever for L/M & he is 51 yrs. young He just called a little bit ago & wants to try again Sat.

Harbor Acres gets a winter Trout stocking usually around the 1st week ov the yr. That would be a good easy place to give a try for just startinout/

TC&GL
crappy
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/10/30 22:24:10 (permalink)
 Made it out Thur. eve., kept a bucket of Panfish for a neighbor.

crappy
Sujie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/03 23:32:17 (permalink)
I wish someone would clean up this site .......... unless you people WANT to see posts from 2010!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/04 00:07:40 (permalink)
Arthur Moon Floats tonight. Kept 40 Crappie 9" - 13". Home freezer stock for winter. Nice having the lake to myself. Flock ov Snow Geese flew over 'bout 9:00. Off to Pymy tomorrow. Hope to get out once in next few days for a freeze stock ov Jumbos for camp. 

crappy

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/04 09:52:33 (permalink)
crappiefisher
Arthur Moon Floats tonight. Kept 40 Crappie 9" - 13". Home freezer stock for winter. Nice having the lake to myself. Flock ov Snow Geese flew over 'bout 9:00. Off to Pymy tomorrow. Hope to get out once in next few days for a freeze stock ov Jumbos for camp. 

crappy

I was driving across Arthur on 422 last night a little before 9 on our way home from Erie.  Lake was absolutely gorgeous.  Quick glance showed no lights from boats or shore fishermen, but I said out loud to my boys, "I bet Crappie Chris is out there somewhere slamming some crappies right now."  
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/04 11:16:14 (permalink)
Might of been Swans   ?

Tell Isaac congratalations & 
 That Andrew sure can talk 

crappy
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/05 19:25:46 (permalink)
crappiefisher

crappy

Man, nice catch! I need to do the same, I'm almost out of fish! I love this time of year up there for perch too.

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/05 20:06:18 (permalink)
Twasn't a pleasant drive on my way, I must say, the rain just pounded down not stopping before, I exited I79 and steered East on 422.  
 It was around 12:30ish when I pulled into the Bear Run Launch area where we saw yakers, and a young angler from Texas, in his Triton Bass Boat.

Thought I'd stop by to say hi but alas I was a bit too late,  the yakers had pushed off and were on their way where ever they were, on their way.  Didn't want to bother the Texas angler as he was busy getting his rig ready to shove off so I bid him good luck and made my way back to 422.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not metyakers out there... honest.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/05 20:08:38

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 10:26:03 (permalink)
OK, let's say a guy whose identity shall remain anonymous (to protect the spotburners) is planning a few trips to try his luck at catchin.... errr, fishing Lake Arthur, this coming spring.   This guy, who shall remain anonymous, and doesn't believe in spot burning, hasn't fished the lake in several years but would like to spend a day or two wetting a few lines.  The guy enjoys catching, errrr would enjoy catching Crappy, Walleye and is looking for his first stripper of which he could smather in mayonnaise and toss on the grill....umm, striper.  Stupid spell check!!

I shall be more than happy to relay any and all advice pertaining to, launch sights not good for a 17 ft run-about, un-navigable shallow or weed plugged waters, etc, of which may be made available. 

Thank you in advance,
Anonymous. 

PS. Your spotburn(s) shall remain safe, with me.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 11:53:40 (permalink)
I'd launch at 528 or Davis Hollow. Cant help ya with the Hybrids...don't fish for them
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 14:15:14 (permalink)
I can show you an ice out striper video from a few years back that was a couple hundred yards to the right of those pics BTDT.  :)  YOU JUST SPOT BURNED THE WHOLE BEAR RUN AREA BRO!

Anyway, that's my neck of the woods... and Pork haunts the other side of the lake.  Between us we can put you on some spots.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 16:21:20 (permalink)
That ice off spot is a fake!  I've frozen my tidbids off trying that same thing multiple times, and no dice.  By all means, try it, but I'd much rather have consistent pan fish (or anything) action when I am freezing my tail off.  Casting lures with no action for hours, while freezing, is not my cup o' tea.

The crappie will pretty much follow most other crappie patterns on lakes.  In Spring and Fall, they are in the wood or weeds.  Often times, that wood is just a log, that is 50 yards away from a beaver dam that is holding nothing...  Just got to keep moving until you find them.  I like the 1" Gulps or fat heads.  I have a good bit of luck with a small baby bluegill fly as well.  This time of year, they can be had after dark.  Kind of a pain to fish for them, but rewarding if they turn on.  Especially since it is pitch dark at 5:30 now.

Walleye, my only advice is to target something else and get lucky...  I haven't gotten any on crawler harnesses or other walleye targeting techniques.  The hybrids and channel cats love crawler harnesses though.  Early spring, I only seem to find the hybrids trolling like that.  June-July, fish from about 11PM-4AM, and you will find hybrids on just about about any shoreline, although they seem to avoid the weed filled inlets, from what I have noticed.  You will hear them.  Just listen for what sounds like someone smacking the surface of the lake with an oar, then boater to them.  Toss your favorite surface diving lure, and retrieve as slow as you can, then slow down your retrieve.  Much like reeling in a live minnow.  If you feel small taps and occasionally hook into some small baitfish (alewives) trying to do the nasty with your lure, then you know that lure will work.  Stop at Roger's Rod & Rifle or O'Donnell's and ask what a good hybrid lure is, they keep a good stock of the proven favorites.  Or, get yourself a cast net and permit and catch your own bait.  Just need a hook when fishing them, any weight and they will be in the rocks and make for a frustrating night retying every 10 minutes.  Lighted bobbers seem to scare them away too.  I tried fishing one a few years back.  There were about 10 hookups on other alewives.  That one finally went under, to reel in a bull head cat...  On a hook, and try to keep your line tight.  Every so often, you get the alewives that like to swim directly back to you.  They are worthless.

After they are done picking off the spawning alewives, they head back out to the deeper sections.  This is a rather controversial time of year to fish for them.  If you are planning to take them home for the grill and smother in mayo, then fish for them.  If C&R, then don't.  Plenty of conversations on this site for why.  I see many more floaters in mid summer than I do during the alewive spawn, where many get upset with those using live alewives.  They just have a hard time being fought in the heat.  That said, smothered in mayo and grilled is pretty good.  Get all of the red meat out, or will gag an alley cat. 

When fall rolls around, the baitfish will start schooling up and skimming the surface.  If you find these, often the hybrids are close by.  I'm usually trying to fill up a cooler with perch or crappie to give them much thought though.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 17:03:07 (permalink)
If I thought I could find Chauncy's boat I'd be on Shenango this weekend coming instead of Arthur.  Big crappie are as good as it gets for me.  :)
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 17:10:05 (permalink)
 I'm up Pymy with a cooler full ov minnies sitting on back patio. Wanted to get out today but with temps dropping all day & the wind wasn't to my liking earlier gonna wait 'till end ov the week. Least the power is back on & had candles/oil lamp & wood burner on last night.

Pike /Bass/Cats were hitting last week along with the Panfish at Arthur.

crappy

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/06 19:48:17 (permalink)
python73
If I thought I could find Chauncy's boat I'd be on Shenango this weekend coming instead of Arthur.  Big crappie are as good as it gets for me.  :)

Ya gotta promise to keep this under your hat. You know I never spot burn but...... red boat with a big and little motor on the back. I don't know him but I hear he is one hell of a nice guy. Knows a thing or two about "catching" fish, so I've heard. Has a couple of sonar units for sale that would look good on that boat of yours too Sam. PM him.

Just remember, I don't spot burn so, you didn't hear that from me.

Porktown I appreciate you taking the time. I believe it was your recipe that called for grilling Striper using Mayo. I I remember as a kid, eating Rockfish with a big side of stewed tomatoes. I've mentioned this a few times in the past and now want to make it a goal for next spring. It's also been discussed at different times, the flavor of fish caught in cold water vs warm water. I wouldn't be fishing for Striper during warm water conditions.

Looking forward to making some trips to the south this coming spring, and be looking to say howdy.

Thanks again for yinz input.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/07 00:50:35 (permalink)
That pier was taken out a few yrs. back. Almost May ain't near ice out. Are best fishin' for 'em is mid March depending on ice cond. Doubles r not that uncommon (winter die off helps) Too much work for me to last any length ov time ripping with out taking a break any more  Prob. 'cause cabin feaver lasted tooo longgg & have the feaver for good fightin' fish (Including the Pike) If still had feaver this time ov yr. might be just as good.

crappy

python73
I can show you an ice out striper video from a few years back that was a couple hundred yards to the right of those pics BTDT.  :)  YOU JUST SPOT BURNED THE WHOLE BEAR RUN AREA BRO!

Anyway, that's my neck of the woods... and Pork haunts the other side of the lake.  Between us we can put you on some spots.  

post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/11/07 01:16:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: RE: Arthur page 42....... 2017/11/12 23:55:20 (permalink)
I want to say a big thankyou to all yinz who responded with such great information about fishing Wilhelm. The FishHawk remains ready to head south should the weather favor a road trip to try our luck. If not before than, maybe this spring.

I say maybe because we're headed to a boat shop one of the nice days this coming week. Due to unforeseen circumstances, there may be a need to outfit the 'Hawk with a jetdrive or possibly rename her G3 Cct. (correction CCJ (stupid spellcheck))

The Good Lord willing and the bank don't deny (the loan) my wife and I will be downsizing somewhere on the bank of the Allegheny.

If I outfit the Hawk with a new jetdrive, We'll be able to keep her 15 horse and continue using the limited HP lakes. If not then we botor moat the river and Shenango, wearing our G3.

Of course, fishing Arthur could still be possible and interesting, if Zelie Sam is willing to tow me and the G3 around the lake.

Nothing definite yet, but ya just never know when opportunity will knock. When it does, color me river bound.

The goodest part, a couple places we are interested in, I can't access the internet. How cool is that?

River people are the coolest.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/13 07:15:02

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: