French Creek Cats?

Author
Bigpapi
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/14 15:41:32 (permalink)

French Creek Cats?

Has anyone ever had any luck with Catfish on French Creek. I know it is pretty popular for Smallmouth, Walleye and Muskies, but I was thinking about trying for some Cat's some night. I appreciate any replies. Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: French Creek Cats? 2010/08/17 10:04:20 (permalink)
    you know one of the few threads I have ever seen on this subject just happened the other day
    http://forums.fishusa.com/french_creek_cats/m_324868/tm.htm

Unfortunately, I am not a french creek catfishermen. but then apparently few are; which is probably a good indication that its best to move on to other waters.  Depending on where you live, there are three options that seem pretty good. 
    • North to the Erie
    • South to Pymy
    • East to the alleghany
    I've fished both Erie and the alleghany.  If it wasn't so darn far, Erie is an incredible fishery.  Some of the biggest catfish I ever saw was in Erie and they are suprisingly easy to catch from shore this time of year.

The alleghany is a great place for cats.  I go there all the time, its much better south of me. if you can get to oil city or lower, you can target the mighty flathead.
    I used to live near butler and really miss the flathead trips.  I never caught a lot of flatheads, but their such large powerful fish...

anyways I suppose this post much of an answer to your question. but it really seems like there's so few people that target cats in the french, that a good honest post steering you to other and better options seemed like a good idea.

If you are undeterred and do fish for cats in the french, the upside is that you might tangle into bowfin.  You might also want to pm some of the posters in the other thread.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: French Creek Cats? 2010/08/17 10:42:46 (permalink)
    Guys I fished Erie all week last week. Hit the channel a bunch of times. Caught one nice channel cat about 23 inches on a minnow. Saw quite a few swimming around. The one I caught was small compared to the others I saw. Guys told me they were getting them on large crawlers. If you want a big cat, now is the time. Also I only fished in the morning a few hours each day. Won't even go into the numbers of rock bass and crappies I caught!
    Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: French Creek Cats? 2010/08/17 15:16:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Guys I fished Erie all week last week. Hit the channel a bunch of times. Caught one nice channel cat about 23 inches on a minnow. Saw quite a few swimming around. The one I caught was small compared to the others I saw. Guys told me they were getting them on large crawlers. If you want a big cat, now is the time. Also I only fished in the morning a few hours each day. Won't even go into the numbers of rock bass and crappies I caught!

If ya wouldn't mind, any particular starting point for cats in Erie i should try? Or is any place as good of a spot as any.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: French Creek Cats? 2010/08/17 17:18:10 (permalink)
    I am not a cat fisherman. But my guess would be just about anywhere in the channel would hold some biguns. Later(in the day) would be better. You can only fish the North pier til about dark.
    Jump to: