Author
PolishfishermNY
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/14 01:23:20 (permalink)

About oak orchard.

have any of you guys fish oak orchard?
Im looking to to test out my new fly rod with some nice browns and salmon theirs is 1 problem i don't know jack about that river. I was hoping that u kind gentleman would help a young grasshopper. lol  

I cant find any access areas and fishing stores out there if any 1 knows any places please help.
please

Fish On!!!!!!

27 Replies Related Threads

BASS MUNCH
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 01:36:15 (permalink)
    You've got mail!

~ Bass
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 02:17:11 (permalink)
    www.orleansoutdoor.com

^They usualy update almost daily come September.

I've had fun fishing in western NY, and I've also sworn I'd never come back. Only place fishing where I've had someone (a guide of all people) try to start a fist fight with me. If you think Erie is bad...

-Tim
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 06:36:14 (permalink)
    Polish, you want to start at the power dam...get there early!  lots of flow....good luck!

Seems both fun and dumb at the same time, but I'd go back just for the comeradery and to get away once or twice a year.....as always, I'd rather be out in a boat though.  Erie is beginning to compare, just wait til the browns come in full force.
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 08:36:24 (permalink)
    Go to the dam and walk down the path on the far side between the stream and the overflow channel. There is some nice water in the stream side down a little ways. Right above where they meet up is a nice run, and downstream of that is the Sycamore Hole and a little further down is the Archer's Club property, which is open to all.
    PolishfishermNY
    Avid Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 10:15:43 (permalink)
    if i had your boat i rather be in that to lol

Fish On!!!!!!
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 13:40:29 (permalink)
    I've never seen as much fishing line caught on every root, branch, twig and stuffed into every crack and crevice as I did at Oak Orchard. It was the ugliest place I've ever fished due to the line and garbage. The people I met there were polite, but we didn't go until the salmon run was over, so I guess it wasn't as bad as it could be. Even though the salmon run was over there were people everywhere, just as bad or worse than erie. I don't ever plan on going back.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 19:44:17 (permalink)
    I will never fish N.Y streams again. Yes the kings are bigger than Erie's steelhead, but I have yet to see all the "huge browns". I caught a 28 inch female back in 2000. That was the biggest brown I ever saw in 5 trips to N.Y.(18 mile,Oak,Genessee)  I have caught 5 browns bigger than that in the Erie tribs including a 14 lber. I won't even mention the manners. I watched a guy snag a brown,drag it on shore. Rip the hook out,then kick it back in. The poor fish is laying on its side. The guy's buddy walks over to it drops his bare hook in its mouth and yells fish on! He drags it on the bank and puts it on his stringer. My brother and I looked at each and said that's it we are leaving. That was at 18 mile, Burt dam.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 20:24:13 (permalink)
    we went to the salmon river2 years ago. when we finally kot 2 fish hooked in the mouth(because we where fishing for them) some guy said he been fishing there for 5 years and those are the first fish he has seen caught in the mouth. every body just snagging. reverse snell knot will snag them every time when your line runs over the fishes back, and you are aloud 2 so called lifts. we left 3 days early. if you go thinking your gonna fish,dont go. if you like snagging fish you will have a great time. oak orchard wasnt much different. we will never go back. i can be in erie and have 20 fish on by the time you will get to ny.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/14 20:58:29 (permalink)
    I was talking to a guide up at Fat Nancy's and told him I was from Erie. he said, "Don't say that too loud. I took people to Erie for steel and now I cant get them to come back here."
    PolishfishermNY
    Avid Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 01:05:28 (permalink)
    so im guessing finding a nice salmon or brown isn't better then steelhead 

Fish On!!!!!!
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 06:37:44 (permalink)
    it was fun when you have 1 of those giant kings hooked. they are like submerrines, but it wont be hooked in the mouth. if you think seeing a steel head in the creeks in erie with a sucker spawn or 2 hooked to it is bad wait till you see a giant king that looks like a jewlery store. and on have seen 1 brown in 2 trips. and both trips was at different times of the season. we will never waste the time or money again.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 08:14:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PolishfishermNY

so im guessing finding a nice salmon or brown isn't better then steelhead 

No, it's great. We used to fish the fly only zone at Altmar (Salmon River) and plenty were hooked legally--especially with DNC parked right at the hole. But the guide's point was that we do better on steel numbers wise out here. Up at Salmon River you get a good run of king salmon, but by the first week of November they are zombies. Browns are nice too. That's something that we are hoping to have here--if people get in the habit of putting them back in now.

I personally have not fished Oak Orchard yet. That is on my list for this year. I posted a similar question about a month ago. At 45, I am trying to move more from the wish list to the done list.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 08:57:15 (permalink)
    Me too, before it becomes a bucket list.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 09:25:09 (permalink)
    Contrary to popular belief, if you fish legally for slamon, they will bite. You just need to get over that snaggging mentality. Bobbers and salmon skein work very well for kings.

The big browns have declined in numbers the last few years, in part to the lake charters that hammer the fish all summer, and people who kill the females for eggs every fall. Still a lot of nice fish to be had, though. Just get off the beaten path at one of the smaller tribs, after a major rain event. MONEY!
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 11:14:09 (permalink)
    have fished both places in the past and im going this year. i have really had mixed felling about both places. 18mile(burt dam) is pretty much like the nut crowded as heck and u see things u couldnt even belive, but i had a few killer days there and there was no snagging done by me and other days sucked.. the oak was a lil better with less ppl and like the water alot better. didnt do as well but it was worth the trip. if there wasnt for the browns i would prob not go. i guess alll we can hope for is that the browns in erie do well and we see bigger numbers..

10% Of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish..... IT AIN'T LUCK
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 12:40:57 (permalink)
    Hooked plenty of fair kings in western NY on Skein and eggsacks under a float. Even had them chase down jigs from over a yard or two away. Flatfish work well also. The key is to actualy attempt to fish for them, and not beat them on the head with lead and a treble hook. It can be tough to get them to bite after they have been harrased by snaggers as should be expected... The fresher kings are more likely to bite.

I've always seen plenty of browns and steelhead on 18 mile. Hooked most of them behind the dumasses waded up to their chests at the dam hole. Bunch of idiots... I'll dig up some pictures.

-Tim
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 13:49:46 (permalink)
    Most of the browns I've ran into in NY have been this size...

Here's a few other pics from NY

-Tim

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 14:29:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PolishfishermNY

have any of you guys fish oak orchard?
    Im looking to to test out my new fly rod with some nice browns and salmon theirs is 1 problem i don't know jack about that river. I was hoping that u kind gentleman would help a young grasshopper. lol,
    I cant find any access areas and fishing stores out there if any 1 knows any places please help.

Grasshopper,
    My advice is to stay home and fish the Erie Creeks. It's real easy to have a bad trip to Burt Dam or Oak Orchard. The odds are you will be disappointed in the fishing and the people you see snagging. I've been there off and on since the 80's and I'm never in a hurry to get back. It can be good, but not very often. Glen

post edited by glen - 2010/08/15 14:31:17
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 15:05:42 (permalink)
    I fish the SR every year for Salmon,use only fly gear,very little weight and of course flies.I have much success and 95% of the fish are hooked in the mouth.As a few others have said they will hit a fly/lure/bait if you FISH for them and treat them as a wild fish.No need to wade in to your****heavy weight defeats the idea of getting the proper drift,and standing on top of them and flinging your line at them sure does n't help.There's a lot of idiots after them but with effort they can be avoided and a good time can be had,I would n't go back if this were not possible.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 15:27:27 (permalink)
    Nice Brownies and Mud sharks and Steel..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BehrendFisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 16:35:09 (permalink)
    I too enjoyed fishing around burts dam. Maybe it was because it was after the heat of salmon season but I didnt notice anything too much worse than the popular erie spots.

My pictures are from the same area as fishrmn's. I caught more browns that weekend than I have caught in erie in 10 years. I also hooked a fair share of kings legally, at times they seemed more aggressive to the flys than the steelhead and browns I was targetting. Pictures like that could take some pressure off erie this fall
    egg_drifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/15 16:40:24 (permalink)
    Nice fish guys.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/16 09:04:49 (permalink)
    Anytime you have big fish, yo have some idiots as well. It doesnt matter where you are unless you pay big bucks for a fly in or something like that.
    But the salmon & browns can be caught w/o snagging, you have to work a little, but it can be done. I've taken all of mine of steelie flys on spinning and fly gear. !st trip a fe wyears back manged 5 kings and four nice browns. Last trip only hooked 1 king and lost it. But its worth the trip to check it out, if the crowds and manners bother you, you don't have to go back. Plus you can always hit Erie on the way home to "salvage" a trip.
    Just my $.02 as always
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/22 19:02:54 (permalink)
    I caught a king last night straight out of 18 mile creekin 125 foot of water,turning black with its dog teeth in, it wont be too much longer before they run. The pier is full of people fishing at night. I love going to 18 mile the oak and other streams just to watch people fish on the weekend. I have other spots I fish with alot less people, dont get me wrong i still like to "combat" fish up there too. Them are some nice pics guys good job. Hope to see you up there.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/22 19:14:04 (permalink)
    nice pics guys that 1 brownie nice
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/22 19:59:13 (permalink)
    Last year I went to bert dam for the first time, expected to get into some steel and browns and had 6lb tippet. It was nov 1 and still plenty of kings around to our surprise, hooked 20+ kings legally between me and 2 buddys, but with 6lb test only landed 2 of them! Saw 1 guy just walking around looking for fish, when he would find one he would drop his 1oz jig head tipped with one egg on the opposite side of the fish and wellah fish on! then the hook would tear out and he would put on another egg to make it look like he was fishing and repeat the same thing all over again!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: About oak orchard. 2010/08/23 11:22:26 (permalink)
    You will have snagging anywhere that there are big fish that can be seen or an area where they school up and are easy to snag ! It's a fact and that"s not going to change unless there are more law enforcement officers avaliable to actually protrol the waters. Believe me, if they started to ticket everyone they saw snagging, they would quit or modify how they do it to avoid being caught.   
    Make it so if you are caught snagging in any of the great lakes tributarys. 
    1st offense: $500 fine, plus license suspended for remainder of the year
    2nd offense: $1,000 fine, plus 2 year suspension of fishing license
    3rd offense: $2,000 fine, plus 5 year license suspension, plus 200 hours community service.
    4th offense: $5,000 fine, Lifetime ban of license, 30 days house arrest

I mean if you're down on your luck and you are trying to feed your family, thats one thing.
    But these guys do it , just to do it. I don't understand why ?

I seen blatent snagging in Erie, NY, Canada & even on my local trout stream. It's just something people do and unless it is strongly enforced, with severe penalties it will continue.

Jump to: