Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Kreamy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/09 14:49:26 (permalink)

looking

so i was sitting down watching tv eating 3 five layer burritos drinking beer lastnight when it hit me that i really need to lose some pounds and get into shape, so what im lookin for is someplace to go that i can walk a long ways and fish without having to get into the water too much, somewhere around washington county or fayette probably, any water any fish as long as i can fish while im hiking/walking. what id really like is someone to drop me off someplace and park my truck miles away so i can walk more water and spend less time walking back to my vehicle. anyways please help i need some exercise, im probably gonna head up to ohio pyle sunday hoping to walk along the yough for a few miles and climb some rocks just kinda hopin to find something a little closer to walk cause driving there too much ill go broke and then ill be fat and poor

39 Replies Related Threads

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 15:18:05 (permalink)
    I recommend this bass boat and trolling with it!
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 15:48:28 (permalink)
    well thats one heck of a response that makes no sense to my post
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9694
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 16:00:24 (permalink)
    Try dropping the fast food or replacing with something a little less fatty.  Light beer does wonders too...

Just about anywhere you fish, you can hike to other spots.  I think it is more of an adjustment of how you fish, over where you fish.  Try getting a back pack or other bag for your gear and make yourself mobile. 

Fishing with a lawn chair, minnow bucket and cooler full of beer (although enjoyable at times) isn't going to help in your cause...
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 16:15:28 (permalink)
    i do fish with a backpack, lol i know i need to lay off fast foods and i been drinking light beer as well, i just need some other places to fish where i can walk more
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 16:33:59 (permalink)
    it makes sense, its a paddle boat, trying to troll with it would be near impossible and you sure would have some crazy leg muscles after a few outings.

on a serious not, i think, but im not really sure, peters creek lake has a trail going around the lake. There arent to many places that i know of that you can walk without getting your feet wet, buy a cheap pair of rubber boots and you can fish almost any creek around here

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 16:34:28 (permalink)
    Where do you live?

I find most streams to be the best way to mix hiking and fishing.  Probably not the best fishing in the dead of the Summer though.  If you are close to any state park lakes, they cater to the hikers too.  I've found some of my most productive fishing spots on Lake Arthur, hiking about a mile to and from the closest parking.  The Yough is good for this too, both don't really risk the chance of getting completely lost as you might at some remote stream.  The Yough would likely involve getting wet though (as most streams if you want to cross).

On the same lines as the pedal boat comment above, kayak fishing is a great way to combine fishing and exercise.
    post edited by Porktown - 2010/08/09 16:36:39
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 17:01:24 (permalink)
    how about walking the bike trail from confluence to ohiopyle..trophy trout along the way and maybe even a few smallies...or from confluence up the biketrail tword cumberland has some beaituful spots on the castleman up near the pinkerton tunnell...i do however recommend a mountain bike...good excersise and you can cover more of a area...

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

flick03
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 17:12:03 (permalink)
    hey kill3ducks1deer got to twin lakes during trout season and see how impossible it is to troll from a paddle boat
    Subby
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 18:06:37 (permalink)
    http://www.youghrivertrail.com/access_areas.htm

I walk the trail quite a bit.  The trail's on the west side(river left)of the river.  Once you're below Cedar Creek the water starts getting a little flat.  I see a lot of guys pedaling along the trail w/ tackle.  There are actually several more places to park along the trail, PM me if you'd like an additional "unofficial" list.

Sub
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 19:42:55 (permalink)
    Lipoplasty

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 20:08:07 (permalink)
    A few weeks ago I hiked from the entrance of cucumber falls down to the mouth, then up to meadow run. Grabbed my wife at meadow and went from the mouth up to some point prior to the cascades. We climbed out at a gully that intersects with the main path because we were running out of daylight.

Only fished the stretch between cucumber and meadow though. There is a nice chute and a bunch of eddy pools there. Staying close to the river and in the creek bed, I'd put the terrain at about moderate difficulty with all of the rock hopping. Look into some good footwear. I destroyed one cheap pair of creek/hiking shoes and a pair of teva hiking sandals in the process.

The low water conditions in the creek beds make for good reconnaissance. The holes are the only place there is any water at this point. Didn't see any fish at all, but didn't really expect to either.
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 20:11:06 (permalink)
    i live in washington, ive never been to lake arthur but would like to go, im not worried about getting my feet wet im just lookin to stay out of the water as much as possible because i do plan on walking a good ways im not real familiar with the yough but i do know there is a good bit of bank in most places to hike along and fish, ive only been on the trail once and i was like 10 years old, but if there are some good spots that dont see many lines i am game for sure, i am also hoping to explore a native stream someplace that i dont have to worry about any private property up around the ohiopyle area i need to do some research to try and make sure i wont be trespassing but im sure hiking along a native stream to find fish would be great exercise,if anyone is interested in helping me please feel free to pm me lol! other than that if anyone else is interested in meeting up sometime to fish someplace im always ready to meet other anglers and have fun fishing
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: looking 2010/08/09 23:57:41 (permalink)
    I just road 4 miles in a floatila of canoes and yaks.
    Good exercise for sure. I actually was trying to get away from them.
    Any work out is good. Give er all ya can and good luck.

bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: looking 2010/08/10 01:50:54 (permalink)
    I can troll Legend Plows (10 oz, 12" bait + 4-5" deep lip [yeah I'm bragging!]) from a kayak and still have my pencil arms. I think Kreamy can handle anything you throw at him. Be persistent and don't give up Kreamy. You can do anything anyone else can do if you want it.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/10 08:14:26 (permalink)
    If you live close to I-70 in Washington, you could be near the Yough pretty quickly.  Rt. 51 runs rather parralell to the river for a good bit.  Right were I70 crosses the river (& 51) is a pretty good section and has the rails to trails rather accessible.

Although a little hot now for waders, many light weight breathables are very comfortable.  I've hiked for a few miles in mine, and didn't notice much difference than hiking in boots and pants.  I'm guessing you don't plan to stop fishing in the Fall when they really start biting, do you?
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/10 10:37:44 (permalink)
    i live really close to I-70 in fact i can hear the traffic by consol energy park at night lol, and ill be fishing all of the fall season when they really start biting hah, if i choose not to wear waders how deep will the water be around that area? i cant afford to buy breathables right now i do have hip waders though which arent too too bad to hike in. ive never fished any part other than ohiopyle area when it comes to the yough so ill have to do a little research before i head down there
    bird dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: looking 2010/08/10 12:53:53 (permalink)
    you certainly don't need waders to fish the Yough or mostly anywhere else this time of year. An old pair of sneakers will do just fine (although felt/cleated wading shoes are better for some streams).  a pair of quick drying shorts, a vest, some water and a fishing rod are all you need. Go exploring, you can get all the excercise you want.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/11 08:40:11 (permalink)
    I'd do what bird dog said, and give it a test run with shorts or swimming suit and old sneakers or water shoes.  Which is definitely my favorite way to fish, although the fishing itself is usually better when the water is a bit cooler, IMO.  The Yough, depending on current, will likely be better fished going above hip level (although if you know when they come shallow, you could likely get away without getting wet - I don't know the river that well.).  If the water is moving, I wouldn't advise going above ankle level though.  This would involve, knowing the holes a bit.  No better way to learn the holes in a certain area than fishing it in the Summer while it is a bit low.  You can wade/swim through 3-4' of water when you have a swimming suit and old shoes on!  Only do this, if you can see it is shallow within a comfortable distance and the flow is really slow.

If you look at the river on Google Maps or other internet sattellite imaging, you can see where some pools are.  A good way to scout it prior to actually scouting it.  You can also see some parks and other potential parking areas too (many are just road side pull offs).  Do a search on this site for Yough, Smithton, Layton, Boston, Perryopolis, West Newton, ect (or any town that runs the river).  You'll find a ton of info on techniques and even places to park to access.

About 1 mile towards Pittsburgh on 51 from the I70 interchange is Cedar Creek Park.  You'll need to hike a bit (out of sight of the parking lots) to start wading.  They do not allow wading in the park itself.  There is access on just about any exit off of 51, usually about 5 minutes from 51 to the river.  Don't try without a map or GPS, or you may drive on some winding country roads for 1/2 hour without seeing the river (know from experience).

If you have a bike and a GPS, you could really get some exercise and a ton of future fishing and possible parking spots.  Tons of people with bike & rod combos.  Great way to get to holes that are mostly hit by boats.  If you do this, make sure you take a bike lock.  Even though the Yough is a great area, idiots seem to exist everywhere!
    Subby
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: looking 2010/08/11 19:08:05 (permalink)
    No person except those authorized by Westmoreland County or conducting official County business, shall, on any County owned property:

Bathe, swim, or wade in any body of water on County owned property.  Wading for the purpose of fishing is permitted in streams and rivers.
    http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=619489&parksNav=|

Sub

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: looking 2010/08/11 19:21:00 (permalink)
    go to cross creek you can walk a long ways and shore fish. i have hiked alot of the woods out there. tons of good fishing spots

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/11 21:23:16 (permalink)
    So I went to the canonsburg dam tonight and walked down tochartiers then downstream for about a mile, didn't get any fish but worked up one heck of a sweat and it sure did feel good was nice and quiet and even jumped a six point, all in all a great night even though I didn't catch any fish
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: looking 2010/08/11 22:24:24 (permalink)
    I've gotten into a couple good ones down through that stretch.

Puffy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: looking 2010/08/12 07:31:29 (permalink)
    im probably gonna head up to ohio pyle sunday hoping to walk along the yough for a few miles and climb some rocks

You better be very careful navigating boulders along the Yough.  There are things in there that will send you to the hospital pronto.

As far as your exercise dilemna.  You probably should separate the two.  Fish when you want to fish, and exercise when you choose to.   Fishing excursions are going to offer very little in the way of TRUE exercise, and I seriously doubt will be the answer to your getting back into physical order.
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/12 11:58:23 (permalink)
    see thats the thing i dont have the time to exercise one day and fish another, i have to try and combine the two when i do get the time
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: looking 2010/08/12 12:42:57 (permalink)

that stretch of chartiers holds a lot of smallies...take some minnies next time and you'll be in bidnit
    post edited by Marklu - 2010/08/12 12:43:43
    Smallie Wader
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: looking 2010/08/12 21:37:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kreamy

see thats the thing i dont have the time to exercise one day and fish another, i have to try and combine the two when i do get the time

The only way you will get exercise AND some fishing time in is to pick up a cheap bike.  Anything will do; 15 year old mtn bike, 10 speed, hybrid, cruiser, whatever.  Craigs list, ebay, pawn shop, garage sale, doesn't matter.  Just get a cheap one in good working order.  Park at a YRT trail access, ride 5-10 miles at a good pace to a fishing area on the Yough, fish a bit then ride back.  10 miles on the YRT at a decent pace should take 40-45 minutes at the most.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: looking 2010/08/13 09:19:54 (permalink)
    Yep, with a bike, you can hit lots of good water on the Yough and if you want to drive a little, Lake Wilhelm has a paved trail (waste of $ IMO when the road isn't paved) all the way around the lower end that you can stop and fish lots of good spots and back coves.  An evening bike ride around Wilhelm and a rod with some bass gear, especially topwater, will land you many largemouths, I am sure.  There is a lot of good access adjacent to the trail so hiking through the woods to the lake would be minimal. 
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: looking 2010/08/16 23:31:58 (permalink)
    Yep, i would agree, separate your need for exercise with your desire to fish.
    Or, just start walking to different places at various waterways. If you keep seeking answers about more fishing spots on here, you won't need to walk, because you'll know exactly where to go!

I could be wrong here, but this seems like a thinly veiled attempt at just finding good fishing spots:
    "im sure hiking along a native stream to find fish would be great exercise,if anyone is interested in helping me please feel free to pm me lol!"

Next time don't cloak your request for fishing info in a "looking for exercise" post!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    RE: looking 2010/08/17 07:12:22 (permalink)
    im definetly not trying to find good fishing spots, im 230 pounds 4 years ago i weighed 170, 60 pounds in four years is alot to gain, and if you dont believe me ill post picks, i dont have a problem looking for good spots myself i have found many nice places just by walking in the past, im looking for ideas where its not gonna be a pain in the butt to walk along a stream or river or lake etc., thats all i intended to get out of this thread, if anyone else thinks this is what im doing then please feel free to tell me about it and ill be sure to quit posting on this thread i dont want people to think im looking for honey holes or secret spots, thank you and have a nice day
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: