Other creeks

Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6358
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/08 08:15:27 (permalink)

Other creeks

Gentlemen, Are there any other creeks in the NY area, other than the Salmon, that have fall runs in them? I'm getting tired of paying way too much to combat fish. All I've ever done is the Salmon and the Black. You may pm if you like. I'm not interested in numbers but more in fishing. When I'm driving 800 miles I used to like the sure thing aspect of the known creeks but now I'll settle for less in order to enjoy the experience. Thank you.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

27 Replies Related Threads

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/08 08:50:35 (permalink)
    Olcott & Oak Orchard are a lot closer to Erie. Black River and North and South Sandy Creek in Jefferson County are good too!
    Caught my first (trophy wall hanger) steelhead in Black River fishing for salmon.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/10 04:57:28 (permalink)
    not suppose to name the smaller waters per the owner. PM as needed & please send me a copy of any more uncrowded waters too!

Lyrical
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/10 11:25:57 (permalink)
    Yea, unfortunately the name game has been out of the bag for years now.

Those waters are not so uncrowded anymore, actually as crowded, or more than the Salmon River, 'cause there's a lot less room.

The SR is still the best, and at times, not many, the least crowded of all the river's and tribs.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/10 12:06:08 (permalink)
    I just got this from a very reliable source.....all fish in the lake are being diverted to the Oswego river....and best of all the people that fish there are true sportsmen,so that's the place to go this fall!
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/10 12:13:54 (permalink)
    I'll second that !!!!
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/10 16:59:27 (permalink)
    Now that is some funny stuff.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/12 18:50:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

I just got this from a very reliable source.....all fish in the lake are being diverted to the Oswego river....and best of all the people that fish there are true sportsmen,so that's the place to go this fall!

Spot burner! Now the cat's out of the bag. When they were stocked out of the hatchery/river, thier right fins were clipped to they went out in the lake and could only turn left and go to the O river. LOL!

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/12 22:36:08 (permalink)
    i'm not one to look forward to fishing oswego, and i never do intentionally. only fished when with others that i know who like fishing there. i will say there are some nice browns and huge rainbows at certain times and certain spots. and it's usualy brutally cold and somewhat intolerable weather. but they are there...no body can deny that...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/13 14:53:08 (permalink)
    For whatever reason, the Big O has not had the good runs of November Browns like it did in years past.

To the OP, not trying to be a smartazz, but try to invest $20 in a NY State Delorme Atlas and find your spots the old fashioned way instead of asking to be spoonfed..

p.s. - them really teeny tiny blue lines on the map means the length of the fish > width of the stream. Most, not all, sportsmen drive on by them and let the fish alone.  
    zcountry85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/13 15:50:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Over the Hill

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Spot burner! Now the cat's out of the bag. When they were stocked out of the hatchery/river, thier right fins were clipped to they went out in the lake and could only turn left and go to the O river. LOL!

Its ok i live between south sandy and the salmon river, you can try to divert them to oswego aaaaaaalllllll you want, they'll still find me, unless i find them first. lol

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

its not yours til its on the grill
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/13 17:52:05 (permalink)

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/15 21:19:26 (permalink)
    i've always found browns and rainbows in abundance in certain spots of owsego in months other than november
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/15 23:04:38 (permalink)
    We used to whack the heck out of the browns (peaches & creme egg flies were WMD's) in the area behind Bridie Manor.

For a few years, the first week of November was prime time.

Not so much for the last 3 years or so. 

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/16 09:33:51 (permalink)
    I like fishing the Big O. It's easier to wade, until the siren goes off.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/16 16:00:21 (permalink)
    hey drake try dec. and jan. even beginning of feb sometimes. try other spots as well. the bridie is good. look for the long back eddies along the wall. there really are no secrets in oswego, but where i fish it there are some old timers who would definitely be upset if they knew i were blowing up their spot on the net...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/27 11:25:31 (permalink)
    The smaller creeks and brooks near Salmon are my favorite places for Steelies and the occasional Salmon or Coho I have fished them for a very long time now but later in the season. Fish dont seem to get into them right away during the early run. Maybe they are still too warm or the flows arent heavy enough then. The only problem is that in the past few years they have become much more popular and if you fish them later in the AM the fish are VERY spooky and hard to entice into a bite. Late season (NOV) when the fishing pressure generally slacks off can be excellent but with lower numbers. Also they can be HOT in early spring with Steelies.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/27 11:59:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

hey drake try dec. and jan. even beginning of feb sometimes. try other spots as well. the bridie is good. look for the long back eddies along the wall. there really are no secrets in oswego, but where i fish it there are some old timers who would definitely be upset if they knew i were blowing up their spot on the net...

Blowing up their spots ?? - you mean like going over to the other side of the river and fishing the big eddy just above Lock 7?   :)

Them winter winds are wicked cold !!!

I rather fish the SR, in a more natural looking... But the Big O does produce some Bruiser Steelies, IMO bigger than the ones that are caught in the SR. 

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/28 01:44:13 (permalink)
    When the Salmon are thick in the Oswego we refer to it as "the land of the mutants"'it has to get real cold to eliminate them from the scene.
    I rarely,if ever,fish there these days.
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/28 09:14:18 (permalink)
    IF I DO FISH THE O I FISH THE LOCK SIDE AND FOR STEELES I FISH UNDER THE BRIDGE ON THE OTHER SIDE
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/08/28 21:03:25 (permalink)
    i fish it tops twice a saeason. it's never by choice. but when i do go and get a nice fish, it's alright. especially when its a ten pound female brown or rainbow loaded with loose eggs... hint hint...
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/07 12:24:53 (permalink)
    800 miles? where you coming from. 800 miles would put me in Prime and I mean PRIME salmon fishing in Michigan. Every river there has salmon starting from mid august to december.

Im only fishing here in NY because my wife complains about the commute to the Manistee River. 12 hours is a little much for her (No Stopping) she seems to wine and cry about her bladder or something!

Boycott any place that makes you pay to fish. We have paid for the fish with our tax dollars and license fees!
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/07 14:02:48 (permalink)
    Ahh, the Big O!  Meat fishin' at its finest.  Last time I fished there (cross the river in that eddy) I got there first and caught the heck out of Lake trout.  Later some butt hole is casting OVER my shoulder and hooks a 15# steelie!  Still wish I would have cut his line.  Haven't been there for many years.  Might try it sometime again, but only if all the other spots are poor that day.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/07 14:36:04 (permalink)
    Last time I was there a run of Kings came through & I was fishing a Green Highlander I made. I caught several Kings about 12- 15 pounds. Not big, but fun. Then I fouled one & broke it off. Tried many other flies & no more action. went to leave & realized the water had magically come way up. Real scary getting my dad & uncle out of there safe. They're both about 70.

***EDIT- It is loaded with snaggers, but it is good fishing if you can get a place to yourself. I usually fish runs below the dam or something. I like the shale bottom. Wading the Salmon kills my not so good back balancing current & river rocks all day.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2010/09/07 14:39:34

Lyrical
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/07 16:59:36 (permalink)
    I was there a few times when we formed a line of guys hand to hand to help the last few guys get across when that dang siren went off!  One of my last trips, we were fishing Steelhead in March, 2 days before Walleye became legal.  Of course, guess who caught a 30+ inch 'eye.  Later, I had a nice steely hooked, and my friend was wading out to try to net it.  He stumbled, fell in, his line wrapped around my rod and line several hundred times.  We tried to figure out which line to cut, but failed.  The guys up on the rocks told us it was great entertainment.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/07 22:47:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

I like fishing the Big O. It's easier to wade, until the siren goes off.

lmao lmao lmao

I have become comfortably numb
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/08 07:30:35 (permalink)

Last time I was there a run of Kings came through & I was fishing a Green Highlander I made. I caught several Kings about 12- 15 pounds. Not big, but fun. Then I fouled one & broke it off. Tried many other flies & no more action. went to leave & realized the water had magically come way up. Real scary getting my dad & uncle out of there safe. They're both about 70.

***EDIT- It is loaded with snaggers, but it is good fishing if you can get a place to yourself. I usually fish runs below the dam or something. I like the shale bottom. Wading the Salmon kills my not so good back balancing current & river rocks all day.

Then why doesn't the DNR/Game warden do something about it?

Boycott any place that makes you pay to fish. We have paid for the fish with our tax dollars and license fees!
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Other creeks 2010/09/09 15:56:32 (permalink)

I like the shale bottom. Wading the Salmon kills my not so good back balancing current & river rocks all day.

That flat shale bottom may be good for your back, but if you take a slip & fall most likely the emergency responders will pull your dead body after you ride the clean sweep to the harbor.

I am amazed at the risks that some of the people take when fishing OZ. I shake my head and think about Darwin.

Jump to: