Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/06 09:10:38 (permalink)

Big Coal vs. The Lowly Mayfly

Just where do you stand politically?

http://www.coalage.com/index.php/features/154-a-battle-for-the-ages-epa-vs-coal-mining.html

Something I read on the crapper at work this morning.

2 Replies Related Threads

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Big Coal vs. The Lowly Mayfly 2010/08/06 11:46:51 (permalink)
    you must of been late for work

i'm on the fence with this one.  on one hand i want every business to do what is right and not pollute the environment but apparently spring fork mine is abiding by it's permit.  not the EPA is trying to revise it's own ruling because what?  it's not presenting any new evidence there is degridastion of the water, they only suspect there may be a possibility there maight be, but why do they suspsect that?  because the envro peoplewant them to re-review and shut them down.  to me that's not right but i don't what spring fork to cause any damage but making them jump through hopes for the sake of jumping is unjustified.  i need more proof spring fork may cause damage under the present permit, so i'm against the EPA on this one.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Big Coal vs. The Lowly Mayfly 2010/08/06 12:18:46 (permalink)
    The problem is that the proof that damage can happen is when the damage has happened, then you've got another polluted watershed on your hand. I'm glad the EPA seems to be trying a proactive approach. Honestly, the list of watersheds destroyed by coal mining is long enough. You want proof it can happen? Look around the Eastern US. Coal makes plenty of money to deal with any regs the EPA throws at them to keep streams safe, maybe it wouldn't be that way if American coal companies didn't have a track record of environmental destruction since day one.
    Jump to: