Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lunker49
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/06 08:39:03 (permalink)

Is the ANF safe

my brother ever the professional  is planning on coming home and was going to spend a week on the kinzua dam
fishing and just good family fun. yesterday he emails me and is leary because in doing research he found indications that the Allegheny National Forest is not the safest place for family fun. i was a bit startled. Are there others outthere whio feel in danger fishing these parts

35 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 08:54:17 (permalink)
    I spent last weekend camping in the ANF. Amazingly, I am still here to talk about it.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:18:17 (permalink)

what profession is your brother in and what is he comparing the ANF to when he says it's not safe?
    just crious.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:22:12 (permalink)
    Of course its not safe. There are bears and coyotes run amok. Not to mention the dangerous rednecks. Frick Park is a better place for you guys to spend the weekend.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:24:36 (permalink)
    In all seriousness, it has been deemed that the Kinzua Dam is a potential terrorist target since it could supposively put low laying areas in Pittsburgh under water.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:42:17 (permalink)
    omg, better not fly in an airplane, terrorists are known to hijack planes.
    better stay out of new york, it's unsafe, terrorists are known to visit.

the ANF is unsafe, i think he's better off going to DC, maybe chicago.
    i'm sure the tap water is cleaner than a mountain spring.
    i'm sure the city ponds have better tasting and healthier fish.
    i'm sure th city people will be very helpful guiding him thru the city for entertainment.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:45:01 (permalink)
    My brother is a surgeon -my question was of serious curiosity. i guess there was an incident above the dam the other day with a woman being kidnapped. Other say the protection is lagging in the area because
    there is not enough state support. the one comment about kinzua dam being a terrorist target i have heard before. i have fished there for years all around i am usually armed but was just curious as to what others felt
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:46:42 (permalink)
    ... but a bomb in the fort pitt tunnel @ rush hour would be much more massively destructive.  Espacially if that bomb were nuclear, chemical, or biological in nature.  just sayin'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel very safe in the woods.  It is people not animals that worry me.

There's something about a general, unspecific alleged warning about the ANF that strikes me as very paranoid.  If he was doing research, wouldn't he uncover some facts about the "dangers of the ANF"?

and supposing it was statistical, isn't it possible that people out here in the woods create there own dangers by partying too much, doing dangerous stunts far from nearby hospitals, or even the dangers of being lost during bad weather.

as an example of this, up on the reservoir, rt 59 goes over the kinzua creek arm of the dam.  The bridge is quite a good ways up above the surface of the water say 30-50'.  Well some ole country boys figure that given the depth of the water, that bridge ought to be jumped from. so every once in a while, we get the kids and the daredevils, jumping off the casey bridge.

now, this clearly isn't safe.   There are big huge piers and at times a fearsome wind.  more than one idiot has lost their life, as the wind blew them into the concrete pier, during there jump.  others have hit something the wrong way, breaking a bone and then drowned.

statistically, they would be one of these fatalities of the ANF.  Is it fair to call the ANF dangerous because some people are reckless when they visit the ANF??
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel very safe in the woods and spent all my time in it when I was a teenager.  the worst that ever happened to me, was losing my bearings a couple times. 
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:58:55 (permalink)
     like jolie said

maybe it would be safer for him to sit in his room and gander on the internet.

liunker49, good luck in tryimg to convince your brother to take a risk in this world and try to have fun. there's a risk in every where we go and do.

if i had to search the web and do research to determine where is safe to go and where it is not, i'd spend a lot more time on the internet when i should be having fun fishing, getting out and just having fun.
    maybe i shouldn't ride a cycle cause they are sooo dangerious. i think many more people get hurt and killed in cars!! i know this incident.........................
    post edited by doubletaper - 2010/08/06 10:03:10

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 09:59:32 (permalink)
    90% of the accidents and incidents I see in the paper usually come down to people either being reckless or unprepared.

About the kidnapping, There are monsters everywhere and in every corner of america (and prolly the world).  its never a bad idea to have some kind of protection. 

I still stick to my story that if your surgeon brother found more accidents/person in the ANF its because people behave very badly in the woods sometimes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure what kind of protection you think the state ought to offer?  They are police around in the summer.  The ANF is actually well patroled (compared to other places I've been).  we ought to continue to expand our cell service.  GPS is lacking in spots (I'm not sure that its easy to solve that one).  People need to quite feeding animals.

I don't know, lunker.  I obviously feel much differently than you do.  I don't go fishing, "armed" and I fish at night.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 10:08:04 (permalink)
    You guys will be fine as long as you don't run into this guy

And he doesn't look like this guy

Just kiddin of course  Its safe

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 10:09:43 (permalink)
    My biggest fear in ANF is what type of bug is going to bite me.
    Black hoarse flys have a nasty bite and the no-see-ums a few years ago were relentless even with Cutter Deep Woods Repellent.

Last month some-places were overrun with rainbow people.
    If dreadlocks and public nudity scare you-they should be gone by now.

The rapist/kidnapper is said to be from out of state or at least driving an out of state vehicle. He may be back in another state or your city now

Kinzua is one of the most underused bodies of water around
    On a weekday there is little boat traffic and very quiet.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 10:41:24 (permalink)
    danger in the ANF near Kinzua

this guy has been seen from the lake erie tributaries to the tailwaters of the kinzua.
    though no known terroristic acts have been recorded, he just looks mean.
    ( word is that he is now clean shaven and may be posing as a park ranger)

danger; second hand smoke from this fisherman. (he can also talk your ear off with useful info)

caution; dangerous to stand behind this guy, evil backcasts on occasions!

beware; this guy in known to appear during foggy mornings in restricted waters.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 10:53:05 (permalink)
    One of the safest places around, if you ask me.  Spent many a day/night in and around Kinzua country and wouldn't hesitate a second to take my family there.  My SIL just recently pent a long weekend camping up there at the boat access only camping area and had a blast.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 10:58:19 (permalink)
    I wouldn't think twice about camping there.
    The only reason I don't is that it seems that the fishing reports that I've seen, to me, show low catch rates...

Maybe the "reservation" end is patrolled more than the "white" end...I don't know...
    All that I'm saying is that when I'm up there for my work, I see more "Seneca Marshalls" that I do "State Troopers"!

He might want to buy a Seneca fishing license and fish the top side if he'd feel safer...  

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    just keep a few
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 11:01:23 (permalink)
    Lunker49,
    To give you a serious answer to your question, In my opinion the ANF is as safe a place to visit as any other forested recreational area. That being said, one should always be wary of his/her suroundings and be alert to anything suspicious wherever that may be,city or otherwise. In my opinion one of the best things you can do is arm yourself with a license to carry a firearm and a handgun and also of course know how to use it properly. Whenever I go camping or most times in my everyday travel my 9mm Glock is not far from my reach. In my opinion this is a perfectly safe and wise thing to do given the nature of human behavior. As you may have heard before the police do a great job- don't get me wrong- but in most cases they just investigate crimes and the response time is critical if there is someone willing to harm to you or your loved one. I'm not paranoid,in fact I'm just the oposite. I just like to know if some idiot tries to abduct my wife or harm myself or family I will be there as the first line of defense. In PA, a license to carry a firearm is available from your local Sheriffs office. You need a license to carry concealed, which is my prefered method to carry or in PA you may open carry right on your side if you wish without a license. Visit this site for Your PA gun rights. www.PA OpenCarry.org
     The second amendment is a wonderful thing.
    lunker49
    New Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 11:17:18 (permalink)
    Well your comments are great, thanks its all pretty much the way i feel-i carry a weapon only because i fish at night and i am older-cant get away as fast as i used to.

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 11:29:41 (permalink)
    Lunker,
    I would have no problem camping there and in fact we have without a problem. As stated above, dangers can be anywhere and your best protection against them is awareness and vigilance. Don't let kids play alone, keep anything of value with you, or leave them at home...
    Attacks can happen anywhere at any time, personally I don't carry a gun... but I do carry a knife and have for years, national forest or downtown grocery shopping, it doesn't matter, anyone close enough to infringe on my personal space will find out exactly how willing I am to use it.
    Don't let a random incident prevent you from enjoying a beautiful location for a great camping trip... just be careful, use common sense and be prepared... but those things should be second nature anywhere someone goes, shouldn't they?
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 11:33:45 (permalink)
    IMO- Being lost in the woods compared to a city ; I'd rather be stocked by a black bear than a person .... Atleast I could chase the bear away he isn't wielding a smoke iron ....
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/08/06 11:38:24
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 12:00:35 (permalink)
    if you look at stats, it more dangerous to be in your brother's operating room than in the woods.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 12:11:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

if you look at stats, it more dangerous to be in your brother's operating room than in the woods.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 12:27:22 (permalink)
    I lived in Warren for 25 years, it was so dangerous I moved to Pittsburgh.

Seriously though, its a beautiful area. I worked in a state park that bordered the ANF, and I have more incidents a week where I'm at now than I did in 3 years up there in the ANF. The most dangerous thing has already been mentioned- distance to a hospital. If you're messing around up at rimrock and you break a leg you're in for a long uncomfortable ride to Warren General. So just be careful, bring a first aid kit, and have FUN!
    roehead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 12:47:15 (permalink)
    I hope it is safe. I am meeting some strangers up there tonight.
    I have camped and hiked in parts of it.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 13:03:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: roehead

I hope it is safe. I am meeting some strangers up there tonight.
    I have camped and hiked in parts of it.

booo!!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 13:11:14 (permalink)
    Did they ever catch the chupacabra?

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 13:38:40 (permalink)
    He may be refering to the incidents where hikers have run into plots of marijuana in the ANF. There have been stories of people being shot at & of finding booby traps etc. How much truth is in the reports I couldn't say. I thought that that stuff was supposed to make you see better & be happy? Maybe some of our resident herbalists could help out here. lol sam
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/06 13:53:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Did they ever catch the chupacabra?

umm maybe I've seen some pretty hairy dirty men-like creatures during the first day of deer.
    you'd be surprised at how little visual difference there was between the drunk hunters and the animals they pursue

its the only day where I advocate that everyone ought to be armed.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/11 11:02:00 (permalink)

National forest****suspect captured in Canada
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pennsylvania State Police have charged a convicted sex offender from Maine with raping a woman in the Allegheny National Forest last week.
    State police in Warren say 35-year-old Mike Beaulieu, of Anson, Maine, was arrested by Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick, Canada, near a campground on Tuesday.
    State police had filed a criminal complaint under seal on Monday. The complaint was unsealed Tuesday, and says the alleged victim identified the suspect from a photo lineup, as did some witnesses who saw him near the forest in northwestern Pennsylvania on Aug. 2, the day before he allegedly raped the woman at gunpoint.
    Police traced his pickup truck to Fort Kent, Maine, where they believe the suspect crossed the river into Canada.
    Maine authorities say Mr. Beaulieu served four years after he was convicted in 2005 for gross sexual assault.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10223/1079192-100.stm?cmpid=latest.xml#ixzz0wJGrgfuk
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8510
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/11 12:34:50 (permalink)
    On the 6, I was near Emlenton on way to the Clarion outing and an amber alert came on the radio of a blue van with a 11 yr. old tied and duck taped.
    Said to contact State Police if you see it.
    Ya, I,ld carry a weapon of some sort.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Is the ANF safe 2010/08/11 13:22:18 (permalink)
    you have to be aware of stumbling and falling drunks around the campfire!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: