Lead wrap not the lead wire

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/22 19:41:02 (permalink)

Lead wrap not the lead wire

I havent had any luck finding lead wrap for fly tying. Ive been using the lead wire but have seen in alot of fly tying books they recommend the wrap. Would anyone know where I could find that or something similar?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella

8 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/23 09:31:45 (permalink)
    I just use pieces of wire of different thicknesses on trout flies.  Two lengths of 0.030 wire tied either top and bottom, top and top, or side and side add body bulk and shape where you want it and plenty of weight.  For a scud try tying in one directly on top of the shank and another directly on top of the first.  A little tricky at first getting them to stand on top but after you are done it builds the perfect scud budy shape.  Dub a little fur around it, pull a flash back over, wrap a rib and be done.  Scud are done in a minute or so.

Thanks
    Rick
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/23 10:19:45 (permalink)
    lol i wish i could tye a fly in a minute or two guess i just have to keep on practicing.fellas i have found a wonderful web site all  about flyfishing and tying.is called flyanglersonline.com check it out the fly archives have lots of different flys  and is all step by step. paul
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/23 10:21:11 (permalink)
    kyler you have any luck on those  flys i sent ya? was just wondering. paul
    Green Weenie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/23 11:14:08 (permalink)
    The lead wraps you are referring to are called Twistons.  They come packaged much like a book of matches and are about the same size as a match.  They are hard to find and not worth the effort!
      As mentioned above, you can put a pc of lead on each side of the hook shank.  Or, you can wrap the lead wire, build a dam of thread in front of and behind the lead, then flatten it out with a pair of non serrated pliers.

fly fish....save a worms life
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/23 12:18:56 (permalink)
    Paul those flies worked great, thanks again. I lost most of them lol but still have a few left. I am having trouble making mine that small.

I use the lead wire I just figured the wrap would work better for zonkers and such.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/25 14:59:56 (permalink)
    I use copper elecreical transformer wire not quite as heavy as the lead but it works fine.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/10/26 08:48:25 (permalink)
    kyler,

For zonkers, wrap your wire the full length and use pliers to flatten it.  You'll get a feel for how much to flatten to get the shape.  If you want a wider platform tie in either some lead wire or a toothpick parallel to the shank on top to build up before you wrap the lead wire.

Thanks
    Rick
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Lead wrap not the lead wire 2007/11/15 12:10:45 (permalink)
    kyler, sometimes i've found them at shops with the splitshots. sometimes bagged individualy and hung up. i don't use them when tying flies but i do idisagree with green weiner about them being useless.  this is about all i use instead of spit shots. they don't hang up on rocks like split shots. way easier to get off your line. they distribute the weight along the line than in one spot. by pinching them off with your fingernail you can add the exact amount of weight you want or untwist them while still on your line and break a piece off for less weight. easier to use when your hands are freezing also.  ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: