Trolling Tips for a Newbie?

Author
robski
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/03 10:45:09 (permalink)

Trolling Tips for a Newbie?

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to trolling for walleye.  Heck, I'm so new I have never been out!  I just started doing some trolling down in Central Ohio for saugeye this year and I haven't had a whole lot of luck.  I'm still perfecting my techniques.  I'm going to be up visiting my folks off Walnut Creek in a couple weeks so I figure I'll bring my boat up and give the big water a try. 

My current gear consists of two decent trolling rods running 10# mono.  I've got a couple of Offshore inline planer boards as well and a few plugs and harnesses.  This setup works decent in the 15' - 20' depth in these inland lakes, but I doubt it will up on Erie.  What are some good setups for the big water?  Do I want to skip the in line boards and just run lead core and straight line off the back?  Dipsy divers?  I'm open to buying a few new things (just don't tell the wife! hah!).   Thanks for the help!

-Rob

11 Replies Related Threads

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/03 10:54:03 (permalink)

Is your boat safe for Erie? It can turn lousy on you FAST! - Last weekend we watched a "bass boat" out about 12 miles with 5 people in it...I pray they made it back in!

First thing I'd do is get rid of the 10# line!
    What do you have for reels?

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/03 11:21:51 (permalink)
    a link you should read from a few years back
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_5876/mpage_1/key_trolling%252Cline/tm.htm#5888
    another that may answer a few questions...
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_100926/mpage_1/key_trolling%252Cline/tm.htm#100926
    some good advise on dipsy divers...
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_95068/mpage_1/key_trolling%252Cline/tm.htm#
    yet another one...
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_97035/mpage_1/key_trolling%252Cline/tm.htm#97035
    more good reading....
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_57155/mpage_1/key_line%2Cplaner%2Cboard/tm.htm

Basically, the first investment you will need to make is one of a bit of time doing some research on the boards, all above were found using the search area listed at the top of the page and typing in 'trolling line' and 'in line planer boards'... there are hours and hours of reading available from these guys, and they know what they are talking about!
    The truest education you will get on the water, if it's not working, change something! but you can prepare an heck of a lot for it by doing some homework on here.
    Good luck out there, and be safe!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/03 11:43:04 (permalink)
    First do you have line counter reels? Second what kind of rods are you running? Easiest would be to buy a couple dipseys and run 2 of those and run some weighted plugs off your inline boards, you would need to spool up some reels with 30# braid(recommended) or some heavier mono to pull dipseys. If just fishing one or two days you might as well book a charter as you can spend that much on gear easily. If you plan to use it multiple times a year then it would be worth it. Let us know what you got,boat, rod holders, rods, reels, and gear and we can help ya out. If its just you or maybe you and one other I may have seats open for ya to tag along and see if you lake big pond fishing before you spend all that $$ on gear.
    robski
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/03 12:18:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies! 

My boat is a 21' Bayliner openbow that's been kinda modified to do some fishing out of.  It's not a fantastic Erie boat but it will handle anything up to 3'.  I grew up boating out of Walnut on a 19' cuddy - my boat will handle just about what the cuddy would, and that's not saying much!  I know the kind of waves Erie can produce; those waves can come out of no where.

My rods/reels are a Daiwa combo I got from Gander Mountain.  They have line counters and are medium / heavy rods.  I have two Scotty rod holders off the stern and two off the bow area.  They aren't the easiest holders to get the rods out, but seem to work ok.   I have a few of the Rapala Dive To cranks, shad raps and other misc cranks, some standard blade worm harnesses and other things that 'should' work for eyes. 
    I hope to make a few trips a year out of this boat - for both eyes and perch, but it might be a good idea to head out with someone my first time to get my 'lines wet'.

Thanks for all the help, looks like I have some more research to do!

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/04 11:36:49 (permalink)
    Best tip I can give you is that it's a bit like tobacco, once you start it's darn near impossible to stop...
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/04 12:29:38 (permalink)
    Don't give him the tip...give him the whole thing.

PS...loose the 10lb mono

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/04 12:53:41 (permalink)
    Robski,
     Most of the larger fish have been deeper at this time of year, so you are looking to probably be having to get your lures down to the 40 to 60 ft range. You can get some shallower, it just seems the more reliable bite has been further out and in deeper water.
     To start out figure to run no more than 4 rods unless you have someone with a lot of experience helping you out. The two trolling rods you mentioned should be a good start but you need to switch up to some heavier line. 20+ lb, mono or braid is a preference that you can decide based on some of the reading research. I can tell you on our boat we run 30 lb power pro, but some folks love it, some don't, again, it is a personal preference.
     Plan on investing in some good quality swivels for attachments and some leader material also.  For depth, invest in the Trolling book mentioned in some of the posts I listed in my previous reply, it is an invaluable reference. As a start you can go with a few snap weights, mostly in 3-5oz size for the 40-60 ft range and dipsy divers.
     If it is choppy water and you are using your in line planer boards you may want to wrap your line once around the front clip to prevent it from sliding on the line or even pulling off, it su@ks to have to pull everything up to go back for a board that the waves knock off. In fact, we switched at least one clip on all of our boards to the type with the pin in it to prevent them from coming off.
     You also need a good net, longer handle and decent hoop size, and something with a net material that isn't a magnet for the danged treble hooks! LOL
     All of the basics are available from the fishUSA folks (except the net, didn't find one on there last time I looked) and they could help you get a basic set up without breaking the bank. 
    This is only a very, very basic list, you can quickly get into a fortune setting up to fish the big water. Kingnuke probably gave the best tip, try to get out with someone who has experience and the equipment so you can handle it firsthand and then decide what you want to do...
     Good luck!
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/05 11:46:52 (permalink)
    One bit of advise that may be helpful is keep the bait ABOVE the fish...in other words, if you are going to err, err on the side of too shallow, not too deep. For example, if you are marking fish from 62-65', set your depth at say 56-60', not 62-65'. I still struggle with this sometimes, but remember that 'eyes will chase a lure up several feet, but won't typically chase them down.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/05 12:41:08 (permalink)
    Get out with someone who knows what they're doing and pay close attention....no better way to learn. 
    robski
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/13 08:06:42 (permalink)
    Thanks again everyone.  I'm all setup now with the right gear.  I've replaced my lines and I'm ready to go.  Weather depending, I'm going to head out tomorrow early AM out of Walnut.  Any tips on where I should go?  Just head out towards the trenches and see if I can mark some fish?  What's working best now?  I'll probably only have two (maybe three lines if I can convince my wife to come).  Should I run one with a harness and meat, another crank?  And then match once I find the right one that's working?  Any recommendations on colors for either?

Ohh, and on a slightly different topic - are the perch biting?  I'd love to bring home a bucket of those tasty morsels! 

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Trolling Tips for a Newbie? 2010/08/13 16:26:18 (permalink)
    yeah, when you leave the bar, make sure you're not drunker than she is.
    Jump to: