Korkers cross current?????

Author
cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/02 21:14:27 (permalink)

Korkers cross current?????

Looking at a pair or korkers cross current wading boots. Anyone like em or hate em? How do u know what size to order? And what soles should I get with them?

It's getting closer

CP

13 Replies Related Threads

Mr Twister
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/02 23:11:35 (permalink)
    i just bought a pair about a month ago and love them they are awsome boots.i have the jetty spikes they are the big carbide tipped ones. i usually fish a stream with very slippery rocks with moss all over the place. i didnt slip once for the money it is a great investment to make. i am very happy i did.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/02 23:22:36 (permalink)
    I own the Korkers strap on sandles with the tungsten carbide spikes... They are indestructible..

Thing I like about them is you can wear them over wading shoes, bootfoot waders, or even old sneakers for summer wet wading.

No snow buildup in winter either.

Just something else you may want to consider. 
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/03 07:41:43 (permalink)
    There great boots I used mine all last season and never slipped once and I'm using the same soles as twister described to you. If your not sure about size I know the Gander mountain in erie carries them so you can try them on. For me I wear a size 10 shoe and bought 11's so I have plenty of room for the booty and heavy socks.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/03 08:38:34 (permalink)
    Picked up a pair about 2 years ago and use em pretty heavily. Still going strong, though, obviously showing signs of wear. I just replaced the original flat felt soles after 2 years and tried a pair of the plain (non-studded) aqua stealh soles....

...anyone want to buy a pair of non-studded aquastealth soles?

The next time I was in a shop that had soles, I grabbed a pair of studded felts to replace the aquastealths. Not enough traction for me, though I may try them in the snow instead of felt.
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/03 19:31:21 (permalink)
    I bought a pair with the dial on the front, got three different soles felt, korker, and lug. I fish alot and in one salmon/steelhead season lost half of the studs. When i went to change over to the felt for trout season the strap that hooks around back broke. For 175$ they could be a little more sturdy, however they are light and comfortable, and the dial lace thing works well even in winter.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/03 21:52:23 (permalink)
    i'll be completely honest. nothing beets the gary borger original wading boots with built in spikes. i ahve pairs of borgers that are atleast 20 years old. i refer to them as salmon stompers. although not made anymore, the original corkers were best. they are not the same as they used to be though. i have used a few different brands in the past eight years or so. i am not impressed by any (i fish them very hard through all seasons). I am ready to take some of my original corkers soles and try to make my own with some tec screws, washers and bolts. it's worth a shot rather than cracking my head open from one year old unstudded over priced pieces of garbage that is all that's on the shelves theses days
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/04 00:09:31 (permalink)
    Product innovation, in most cases, is a good thing. The fishing industry depends on it.

But in some cases, the KISS principle prevails.

I know alot of guys who don't care for the korker sandles (because they are fugly and weigh a couple of pounds), but they are indestructible and will keep you on your feet whether you are on slimy rocks, mud, snow, or clear ice). And they take less than 30 seconds to put on/take off.

I was so impressed when I bought the Korker sandles 8 years ago that I bought another set (in case they discontinued them). The new pair is still in the box because the originals are still going strong (actually two of the spikes on one foot are slightly bent).

I've used them strapped over hunting boots too. If roofers trust them, they are good enough for me. 

Dials with stainless bindings break, soles that depend on a key tightened band and a couple of slots to hold them in place wind up in the river.

Maybe I'm just awfully tough on my gear, but I will keep it simple - and avoid paying high prices for the latest innovation.

The latest version of the K5000 sandles look about the same as the ones I have:
        http://www.fishusa.com/Korkers-XStream-Cleat-K5000-Wading-Sandal_p.html?source=googleps 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/04 07:27:46 (permalink)
    soles that depend on a key tightened band and a couple of slots to hold them in place

I don't know which pair of interchangeable sole korkers you tried, but the soles in mine are nothing short of rock-solid. Which ones did you use that they fell out?
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/04 10:44:27 (permalink)
    Cold,

Did you like the studded felts? These shoes are going to be used up there only. I have no need to use them down here. I have hip boots for that. I wasn't sure If people liked the soles on them and how they held up. I have alot of foot problems and didn't want to use mt 35$ cabela specials this year.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/05 19:04:30 (permalink)
    Bought the Streamborns,after two years +,the only complaint i have is the large studs will tear out eventully.When you get them ,take them all out,put red loctite on them and put them in just till it stops,they will not fall out and will hold up longer.the sticky rubber soles,suck.the carbide sticky rubber are great.Probably over 100 days on them and i just noticed a stud pulling thru.the studs will pull thru the soles eventually,before you can wear them out,that is the only semi complaint i have.for cold water,go 2 sizes larger,give room for toes to move around.Will i buy them again,yes,if the boot ever wears out.For as much time as i spend on the water and as many miles i put on them,the best boot i have had yet.The studded felt work great,still turn to ice soles in the winter,opt for the rubber with studs.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/06 00:31:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cpswing

Cold,

Did you like the studded felts? These shoes are going to be used up there only. I have no need to use them down here. I have hip boots for that. I wasn't sure If people liked the soles on them and how they held up. I have alot of foot problems and didn't want to use mt 35$ cabela specials this year.

Havent used them yet. I'll wet wade in my FiveFingers till mid-Sept.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/07 08:06:01 (permalink)
    I'd be cautious about buying anything with felt soles as I believe they will be illegal within a few years to try to stop the spread of didymo.
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: Korkers cross current????? 2010/08/07 23:50:35 (permalink)
    Thats another reason why I was thinking about buying a boot with interchangable soles. Also, I only get up to fish 3 or 4 times max so I figure they should last quite a few years if I buy a decent pair.

CP
    Jump to: