discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
  • Reward points: 0
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 11:25:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jolie

sportsmen of all stripes are notorious for keeping stuff to themselves.  Its never personally in our best interest to blab.  Some of us do so to be nice and welcoming.  just sayin'

true dat!!! apparently even the PFBC is tight lipped about kinzua. even the locals didnt know about the walleye experiment. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 11:49:18 (permalink)
well, the zoo is very hard to figure out.  What works for one definitely Doesn't for another guy, or on another day.  there are 12,080 acres of water during normal summer pool.  The constantly changing water level discourages major weedbeds and forage populations are minimal.  There's a trophy population, I'm convinced, because predator populations are low.

They are easy places to start. Trolling is a normal place to start.  Also, You can buy a good map of lake which shows most of the major fish attractors and cribs.  I'm not a boat angler nor Am I familiar with the lake but i've had a few nice bites, doing nothing but hanging around the sugar bay boat launch and floating minnows below a bobber during dusk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for the tackle shops in the area.  Pages is of course under new management.  Grizzly Gary and a couple partners and bought it.  Its a good place and has grown on me.  Generally if you ask a few easy questions, that are specific, you should get some hints. 

the place by red bridge, Graybill marina. yeah that guy is quiet.  but his is open late and well equipped. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and of course, there's the board itself.  we have given out a WHOLE lot of times some general hints to the waterway.  If you go back through the pages, it becomes crystal clear who answers questions and can get you started.

so I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a tackle shop but curious as to why the normal pretty friendly shops treated you that why.  maybe they were busy.
Some of those guys at the tackle shops really will spill a lot of beans about local hotspots.  What they say depends on how busy they are, whos been talking to them and of course, who they are.  Knowing how to ask useful questions is a real big deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so.. thankx for the reply. and if you have an issue at Grizzly gary's I know management, I sure they will work out any reasonable issues.  I am willing to help if you have problems.  I've not influential with the store, but some of my friends are.

**commander**
Pro Angler
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 12:28:08 (permalink)
lol. one of them was Pages. there were 2 guys and a girl behind the counter. the 1 guy started giving me some info and the other guy looked at him, interrupted, and all but changed the subject. pretty funny, actually. there may have been 4 people in the store including us. grissly gary is who i look to and refer people to who have questions about the lake. i learned to get a reservation license to troll for walleye and also learned that fishing the lake is all about STRUCTURE. was amazed at how clear the lake is. awesome place and body of water. just sayin'

any experience with Quaker Lake? have heard good things.
post edited by **commander** - 2010/07/30 12:30:14

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 13:04:07 (permalink)
my only experiences with quaker have been bad.  basically I've tried a couple times in the last two years to catch pike through the ice.

here's what I think happened with Quaker.  Quite a few trout were stocked in Quaker.  Over time, the foremost predator in the lake starting really some good years because of the available food.  Word was that just after the 2000's , pike populations were fantastic. 

now, NY is concerned because half their stocked trout are just becoming pike food.  so they did an assessment found a lot of pike and  spread the word. 

pressure increases on the lake, and pike are heavily harvested.  now they are much more balanced and continueing pressure on the pike have beaten down the hoard.  I'm not the only one to recently get skunked up their, and one of my NY friends say Pike isn't anything like it was.

personally, I've got some river hotspots that during the right water level are very reliable.  Early spring is the time to try it.  Just as you say, its a pattern deal.

its not worth the drive.  the funnest deal in NY is chautaqua lake.  Unlike anything in this part of PA, and in the winter and spring, the fishing is so good, it makes up for the pricey NY license. 
**commander**
Pro Angler
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 13:32:32 (permalink)
thanks for the info. makes sense about the pike if they wanted them out of there. i HEARD it was a great pike lake. im a catch and release guy so id much rather catch pike.

i have yet to fish chautaqua. may try it someday. different scenery is nice but good fishing is so close to me that i rarely feel the need to travel. if i didnt have a buddy that has a place around kane i would probably never have fished kinzua.

pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 13:52:31 (permalink)
There are very few that consistently catch fish in Kinzua.
In Erie anyone on a boat can catch perch and an occasional walleye.
The guy at Hook, Line and sinker near Willow Bay will share info.
Slavens down the road might give a little tidbit like walleye  were hitting near the RR bed north of Willow Bay or bass are biting in Sugar Run
I do not think anything is a constant in that lake
What works today might not work tomorrow.
I think one of the secrets is to change presentation, lure, bait and area until you start catching.

**commander**
Pro Angler
RE: discontinaution of stocking Walleye in the kinzua dam twers 2010/07/30 16:48:24 (permalink)
check out the results for the yearly walleye tourney thats been held there over the years and see how many walleye are caught and the hometowns of the winners. like any body of water, its all time. the locals have the lake figured out, and catch fish consistently, as well they should. i dont fish from shore, so i dont know, but with a boat, you can always catch something on kinzua. there are lots of fish. may not be the species you want to catch but fish can be caught. just sayin'

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: