Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/23 21:31:53 (permalink)

Homewaters

I had heard from others that this "club" was the one that had private water (if that's even possible - guess it is though) on Elk and 20 Mile ....... today after I got the mail here was a large envelope with apparently their latest pricing and offerings for memberships. Totally blew me away. I believe I could justify paying $5,000 for a week of guided fishing with daily flyouts out of Bristol Bay in Alaska but to pay twice that much for 7 days on Elk or 20?.... Amazing. $475 for one nights lodging and 1 day guided - $1798 for 2 days. It goes up from there to $19,500 for 2 people for 7 days with a $7400 annual dues payment. The real deal is if ya got a family who wants to give them a visit - dues are $10,000 a yr. with a deposit of $59,500 for 21 days of access. Don't think so ---- I'm gonna pass. It's with the rest of the junk mail. Don't get me wrong here - I totally love these waters but to pay more money than what I paid for my house 30 yrs ago for 21 days of fishin........?
post edited by steely34 - 2010/07/23 21:34:57

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

31 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/23 22:04:01 (permalink)
    wOw

www.2bonthewater.com
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/23 23:53:36 (permalink)
    ,just have to hope for the reach-around
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 01:15:59 (permalink)
    Beaver is a an ****hole! But the qustion is, if you had that kind of money laying around, would you join? Not speaking directly at anyone. Just curious! I know my answer! NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The things I could with that money...

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 01:15:59 (permalink)
    Homewaters is the new name of the spring ridge club. It's holdings are more than just the two Erie tribs mentioned.
    post edited by norm289 - 2010/07/24 01:23:56

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 02:55:39 (permalink)
    It's funny too.. The private stretch on 20 is quite beautiful (much like the rest of the stream..). I love seeing guys under rt. 5 slinging bait in that first private run... that's when you get into the atmosphere of Eries unknowns.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 09:59:00 (permalink)
    If I had that kind of money, I certainly would not join the club..........I might buy my own property with a stream on it........enhance the creek and put fish in it only if the creek didn't hold a wild population of trout.......but, not join some elite fishing club........that's just me.......

making a buck is fine.........that is outrageous to charge that amount of money to fish for steelhead you and I, and every license holder in PA pays for.......if the state is looking for ways to make money, which they are, they should find a way to tax those individuals or businesses who use STATE RAISED and STOCKED fish to earn major moolah while operating on Private Lands......get something written into law that states if you PRIVATIZE property and charge fees to fish upon said lands with streams running through them that have STATE stocked fish running the property, you would be subject to a FINAL TAX determined by ANNUAL INCOME from said business on those particular waters......also, wouldn't the land be worth more--money earned from these clubs / fisherman--so the land should be put into a higher tax bracket--determined by amount of money earned from said business on property......

Now, I'm not saying mom and pop who charge a few bucks to park and fish should be lumped in with these goons......I'm talking about land, sections of streams that are privatized for the sole purpose of making large amounts cash on the fish that the state provides.......

isn't 6-mile creek private?  Does anyone stock fish in six mile creek or they too depend on OUR fish to run THEIR stream?

I just don't know......paying that kind of cash to fish a very small percentage of Erie tribs is insane.......

so, adjust tax rates on the land owner --  find a way to tax the business who operates on private land that is using OUR fish to make money...........

land open to the public.......whatever......no problem with that.....

not sure if there is an answer........other than not joining..........which, I would bet, most on this board wouldn't do......even if they had the cash, they wouldn't do it

PS......didn't Beaver state that he does what he does so that our children will have a place to fish in the future?  
    post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2010/07/24 10:27:09

www.2bonthewater.com
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 10:34:47 (permalink)
    Thats crazy. How much of these two creeks does he own?
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 12:06:50 (permalink)
    If I had that kind of money I'd move to New Brunswick and fish the Miramichi every day and forget about the erie tribs.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 12:12:24 (permalink)
    Maybe we should put a lien on the elite club for fencing off the fish that we helped to stock through our license fees and threecu just rambling on ya know. 
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 13:02:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Plum Bob

If I had that kind of money I'd move to New Brunswick and fish the Miramichi every day and forget about the erie tribs.

+1!!!!!!!  

Either there or some secluded place in the PNW.

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2531
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 13:20:05 (permalink)
    Wouldn't surprise me if someone actually signs up for the offer. Think I'll pass.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 17:46:32 (permalink)
    thats totally outragous but as bigfoot stated somebody will probably take up the deal. some rich person and i agree it is bull that they can do that with the fish we all pay for its different if they are stocking there own fish also but highly unlikly that that is happening.
    flyfisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/24 23:05:15 (permalink)
    this may be off topic but i am curious as to whether or not beaver placed some sort of man made barriers in his sections to keep fish stationed in once place. I am honestly considering taking a hike along these posted waters soon to see what is up. Also, i completly agree that it is wrong to make huge profits by buying and posting land filled with fish payed by PA license owners.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 07:07:06 (permalink)
    Like Norm mention's - this club has holdings in Colorado and throughout PA, not just in Erie. There must be others who are willing to pay the price to fish this water for them to maintain this business. Although the Deetz and I did fish down to the upper stretch last year - I'm really not too familiar with the water there. You all who live there know how the water is better than I but I doubt if there are any barriers in place as there were plenty of steel above the wire. Again - for me - I can justify spending the $ on fishing with a lodge in say - Alaska (which I hope to do next summer.) But that offers so much more - with daily fly outs and such. But for this..... again - not for my $. And the taxing of the owner for this type of business - good point!
    post edited by steely34 - 2010/07/25 07:09:06

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 08:37:28 (permalink)
    No fish barriers in place, but man do I miss the Hole at the steel bridge on 20 mile...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 08:50:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

No fish barriers in place, but man do I miss the Hole at the steel bridge on 20 mile...

Only time I miss that spot is on thanksgiving. It use to be my go to spot because there were very few people there that day. Otherwise beavers guys can have that shale crap.
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 10:35:18 (permalink)
    Used to fish the hole below the old bridge on 20 mile once in a while back in the 80's and early 90's. Fished it several times when it was crammed full of fish, bags under a float. Lots of room back then, one right after another for as long as you wanted to fish the hole. Like picking cherries, got boring after a while.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 11:14:12 (permalink)
    That was about the last time I fished it PB, '81-'82....More fish than fishermen...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/25 12:08:19 (permalink)
    That is crazy. Not for me.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 09:49:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfisherman

this may be off topic but i am curious as to whether or not beaver placed some sort of man made barriers in his sections to keep fish stationed in once place. I am honestly considering taking a hike along these posted waters soon to see what is up. Also, i completly agree that it is wrong to make huge profits by buying and posting land filled with fish payed by PA license owners.

No in stream barriers.  But it is posted obviously and it is private property.  It is not "owned" by the club, they lease the rights to fish there from the landowner/landowners.  Entering is trespassing and you're on your own there.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 10:08:13 (permalink)
    If I had that kind of money, I'd just go buy my own section on Elk or 20 or walnut or any of the other creeks... LOL

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 12:49:33 (permalink)
    Makes me wonder why people with that kind of money would be stupid enough to pay that to fish those waters,as said there are many areas that I would want to fish for that kind of money that are far better than any Erie trib.
    And yes indeed those enterprises should be taxed as 2b mentioned,but we all know that'll never happen.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 16:44:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

Makes me wonder why people with that kind of money would be stupid enough to pay that to fish those waters,,,,,

Because they have more money than they know what to do with.
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 17:58:27 (permalink)
    The thing is, I have never seen the cops/game/boat commish come and make an arrest or give warnings for trespassing. I also believe that I heard/read somewhere that the cops would not answer to any trespassing calls that are based on 20 mile. I personally would not be worried about fishing the "private water". Thats just me though.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/26 20:12:18 (permalink)
    I've seen them give a guy a ticket under the bridge at 5 on 20 mile. The fish commisioner was actually fishing there with other guys casting up into that hole. He warned the guy 3 times that he should get off the posted property and finally he gave him a ticket so as far as not seeing people get busted, they do.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/27 09:57:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: HCsteel

The thing is, I have never seen the cops/game/boat commish come and make an arrest or give warnings for trespassing. I also believe that I heard/read somewhere that the cops would not answer to any trespassing calls that are based on 20 mile. I personally would not be worried about fishing the "private water". Thats just me though.

So you don't care about private property and the owner's rights?

I'm going to assume that you don't own any property or you'd think differently. 

It's only a freaking mutt lake run rainbow dude.  There are thousands of them all over Erie County. 
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/28 20:55:12 (permalink)
    There is much better fishing to be had then those few spots.
    The public will be getting a whole new stream soon;) "word" boys.
    I too, am in favor of a Tax either local or on the state side.
    I also feel if post your stream the area should be deemed, "nursery waters".
    Most of those streams were used for commercial enterprises(mills) or travel down from French Creek to Lake Erie. Also, what better way to get one's logs to the mill than to float them down. How else would a farmer get his logs up those valleys for building and paying taxes? Float them down. And yeas the mouth of Elk was navigable c.1802-40's, there was a warehouse that traded with the lakes during that time up until the canal was completed and the trade moved east to Erie. They have not been classified as navigable but one could argue, similar to the Little Juniata case that was won a few years ago.
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2010/07/28 20:56:45

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/28 21:20:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: HCsteel

So you don't care about private property and the owner's rights?

I'm going to assume that you don't own any property or you'd think differently. 

It's only a freaking mutt lake run rainbow dude.  There are thousands of them all over Erie County. 

Yes the owner has rights but when the water is/was navigable and I stay within the highwater mark it shouldn't matter. If they need the money bad enough to post their property for it then they obviously don't care about the fishery. It's also hard for a 17 year old to buy and own land but that is besides the point.  That mutt lake run rainbow is the fish I live for, maybe when Im your age and have fished many different places for multiple species it will be different. It is all what you make it duud .  Whatever your favorite fish and water to fish them is, that is steelhead in Erie for me.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Homewaters 2010/07/28 21:38:42 (permalink)
    Please remember the north flowing waters of Erie County, except Conneaut Creek, have NOT been Deemed Navigable. Until that time please respect the property owners wishes.
    We do have easements into perpetuity and they are being added almost quarterly.

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: