strike indicators for steelies

Author
AOOsteelie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/20 15:52:26 (permalink)

strike indicators for steelies

Hey all...I have been reading the forums for a few years, following news and information on steelhead fishing. I am, however, new to the site. I have only used a spinning outfit for steelhead, and have done o.k. I have purchased a fly rod and reel, and have been doing some research for as much helpful info as possible. I have the fly line, leaders, tippett, and fly patterns figured out. So, my question is about strike indicators. Whether to use them or not, and some opinions on which ones to use would be appreciated.

22 Replies Related Threads

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 16:05:44 (permalink)
    From new guy to new guy...HE11 YES you should use them. I didn't use them at first. I allowed myself to be swayed by an article that said "the fly fishing purist" views them as cheating. I couldn't catch a cold. Coughed up $3.25 and it changed everything for me. Others may certainly feel differently, but I think they are essential to a good drift.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 16:13:58 (permalink)
    All depends on what and where your drifting.
    I use thingamabobbers when drifting sucker spawn and egg patterns, mainly in the deeper runs..
    I don't use them for streamers, buggers or triple threats....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 16:21:11 (permalink)
    I Like to use the little football floats in yellow for just about everything EXCEPT if I'm fishing a soft hackle, then I'll use a pinch on foam indicator. Thing-a-ma-bobbers are good; but I feel there is more adjustability with the floats. Sometimes I'll use a bigger suckerspawn above a soft hackle and let the SS act as an indicator.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 16:55:36 (permalink)
    Yeah! What he ^ said. Really the proper placement of the split shot on your line will make a world of difference in how your fly is presented. You can do a search of topics on here and get some really good information on split shot placement. And don't be afraid to add/move/remove weight depending on current conditions and depth. A good rule of thumb is one small shot at 8-12" above the fly, one at 24" and then one (heaviest) right below your indicator. Generally the water in a creek is moving faster on the surface and slower along the bottom due to friction and turbulance along the bottom, and the fish like to hold in the slowest moving water they can find. after selecting your shot, you then put on an appropriate sized float to compensate for the weight of the shot. Too small will just get pulled under and be almost useless, UNLESS you are high sticking, or free drifting with two flies using the top fly as an indicator. then you want both to sink. This technique is best used in clear water. Are you hopelesssly confused yet? Later on I'll explain the importance of the sollunar calendar and it's effect on the size of powerbait you should use.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2010/07/22 09:44:13

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 17:20:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Are you hopelesssly confused yet? Later on I'll explain the importance of the sollunar calendar and it's effect on the size of powerbait you should use.

^^^LOL! It's not an exact science, but there is a science to it. These guys bring meat and potatoes to their posts.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

KilDux
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 17:34:55 (permalink)
    If I use one in fast current or muddy water I use the foam ones you peel off the card and fold over the line with glue on the inside.  They work well, but when you take them off be sure to put them in your pocket, don't toss them in the stream like many do.  In low clear water I don't use anything.
    AOOsteelie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 19:47:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info so far. I will more than likely stick with egg patterns for now. The only thing that was confusing was a reply about not using a tapered leader, but only using tippet. I currently use a 3/4" foam float for spin fishing. I will try the thingamabobbers on my fly setup.
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 20:05:19 (permalink)
    Yeah , what Anadramous said. I like the thingamabobber in white or black. Doesnt seem to spook as many fish.

Hey Dennis, do you know where I can get some more TMB's

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 20:06:07 (permalink)
    Helps to tie the TMB's on with a short dropper...
    Tip I got from a couple "OLD" duffers.

Here's how I rig mine...

BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 20:16:07 (permalink)
    Bing, I've done a similar deal, but rig it a little different. Also, I've rigged it with a duel rig dropper directly before the TMB for a more vertical rig. I love those things. Incredibly sensitive

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/20 20:34:01 (permalink)
    Ana, Bings, Bug. Have you ever had a problem with the TMB's getting caught up in a current and twisting the line? I have some times but it isn't a consistant thing. That's why I like the styro footballs. But Skeeter likes both, but he's rather partial to the little black/green bobber style items bcause he can change depth quicker. Me; I'm an old stick-in-the-mud. I usually set it and forget it.

AOO! Tapered leaders are good but you should always use a tippett. I usually just use a 3>6 foot piece of 6# fluro on the end of a 7foot tapered leader. I've also been known to cut 2' off of a 9 foot leader. Depends on the length of the rod I'm using. I like the total length of terminal leaders to be about 1 foot longer than my rod. That way I'm not fighting a close fish on my leader.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 06:07:19 (permalink)
    IMO it simply has to be beach balls & silly putty ..... ThingaMABoobER in white looks like an air bubble !
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 09:18:46 (permalink)
    Ah, Dream! I see you have fished the project holes and lower elk. LOL

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 12:41:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Helps to tie the TMB's on with a short dropper...
    Tip I got from a couple "OLD" duffers.

Dropper works great bings. Solves the problem of a looped on indicator cutting through the plastic around the O ring. I rig it by tying a 3 or 4 turn overhand knot around the butt section of the leader and then tying on the thingamabobber with a 3 turn improved clinch knot. when done correctly the thingamabobber should be no more than 1/2" from butt section of leader. 20 lb butt section, 20 lb dropper. Slides easily up and down leader with just the right amount of tension to stay in place while drifting. Fished all last fall and only used 2 indicators. Haven't found line, leader twist to be a problem rigged up this way.

One of the old duffers. The other old duffer still loops his on and wears out about 1 a day.
    post edited by Plum Bob - 2010/07/21 12:43:17
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 13:05:17 (permalink)
    As far as strike indicators go. Not on my fly rod. Tried it , dont like it. Thats just me. I like to use the small balsa thills or the clear blackbirds when using the noodle rod though. To each their own and I dont care how or what you use to catch them on just have a blast doing it. nuff said.

BTW what ana and indy said , you cant go wrong there.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 13:20:37 (permalink)
    As far as strike indicators go. Not on my fly rod. Tried it , dont like it. Thats just me.

+1

Though I've been told by many that I miss oodles of strikes this way...and I'll likely try to teach myself to love one again this fall...I have never yet caught a steelie using an indicator. I see the logic, but I guess I just dont have confidence in that little ball of foam or plastic telling me when. I also don't feel I get as good of a drift that way.

From what I saw of deetz's fishing last fall tho, both of us prefer to fish faster water where (IMHO) the effectiveness (is that a word?) of an indicator is diminished and that of "feel" is increased. For the slow, deep pools full of fish and bordered by a dense undergrowth of neoprene though, an indicator is probably a good idea. The more vertical presentation would also (I'd think) reduce snagging too.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 15:04:53 (permalink)
    hey guys when you rig the tmb by tying it off a dropper how do you keep the knot from sliding up and down the leader ?
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 15:48:47 (permalink)
    The more vertical presentation would also (I'd think) reduce snagging too.

You nailed it .... Also keeps the offering in the strike zone longer IMO so I would say depending on conditions usually more fish to hand .
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/07/21 15:49:21
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 16:02:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

hey guys when you rig the tmb by tying it off a dropper how do you keep the knot from sliding up and down the leader ?

You just pull the knot tight to the leader and it holds in place quite well....

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 16:12:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

As far as strike indicators go. Not on my fly rod. Tried it , dont like it. Thats just me.

+1

Though I've been told by many that I miss oodles of strikes this way...and I'll likely try to teach myself to love one again this fall...I have never yet caught a steelie using an indicator. I see the logic, but I guess I just dont have confidence in that little ball of foam or plastic telling me when. I also don't feel I get as good of a drift that way.

From what I saw of deetz's fishing last fall tho, both of us prefer to fish faster water where (IMHO) the effectiveness (is that a word?) of an indicator is diminished and that of "feel" is increased. For the slow, deep pools full of fish and bordered by a dense undergrowth of neoprene though, an indicator is probably a good idea. The more vertical presentation would also (I'd think) reduce snagging too.

Are you going to set the hook?> > > Why? Cause your line has stopped and is moving upstream! Sets hook > > > WOW! > > > fish off. LOL Ah the olden days.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2010/07/21 18:53:33

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/21 17:27:50 (permalink)
    Hahaha, I didn't say it was the ONLY way I miss oodles of strikes!

I've improved since then, though. If you're up there a day or two early, we might have to share a bit of water so you can (maybe) see I'm not quite as useless now haha. Almost...but not quite.
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: strike indicators for steelies 2010/07/23 10:47:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AOOsteelie

Thanks for all the info so far. I will more than likely stick with egg patterns for now. The only thing that was confusing was a reply about not using a tapered leader, but only using tippet. I currently use a 3/4" foam float for spin fishing. I will try the thingamabobbers on my fly setup.

Get the 3/4" size TMG
    Jump to: