Braid again

Author
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/13 20:32:42 (permalink)

Braid again

I know you have all been asked these questions before but i am so lost. When using braid is it necessary to have mono as a backing or as a leader? And is it a good line for catfish fishing? i was planning on getting a new catfish setup and wanted to know if i should put braid or mono on it. Also can you use braid with spinning gear?
post edited by kill3ducks1deer - 2010/07/13 20:36:07

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern

13 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/13 20:51:18 (permalink)
    You can use braid with your spinning gear and yeah you're going to need a couple wraps of mono backing. I perfer mono always seem to get more hits, everyone says cats don't care about hook size and line size I don't follow that logic.
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2010/07/13 20:52:45

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/13 20:55:48 (permalink)
    You do not need mono as a backer or as a leader. Using mono for a backer only helps fill your spool fuller, so that you dont have to put 400 yds of braid on to fill it. People will say that the braid can spin on teh spool. Just put a piece of tape on the first wrap.

MOno/fluoro as a leader is only really needed when fishing for skittish fish in clear water. It is not required for catfishing, but can be usefull (see below). I love to use braid for catfishing, but I mostly fish for channels.

My only concern about using braid for big catfish, would be that if you get snagged really bad, you can snap your line and lose a lot of expensive line. For this reason, I use a mono leader in weight that is a little lighter than the braid.

Also, you can use braid on any type of setup. I have two spools for my spinning reels and I keep braid on atleast one spool for each reel. The casting distance is absurdly good.

I hope this helps

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/13 21:20:42 (permalink)
    I used braid years ago on a couple of my cat rods, the first and last time. Didnt hold up in rocky river bottoms very well. Stuff i was using at the time was i believe spider wire 30 lb for main line. The crap would fray if it came within 3 feet of a rock. lol. Never cut my line so many times as that year on rocks/mussels etc and on hooksets from being abraded by rocks in my life.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/13 21:21:56
    PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/14 17:18:43 (permalink)
    Yes, you needs mono backing. I'm not a big fan of braided but a lot of people love it with catfishing

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/14 20:30:36 (permalink)
    Don't know why, and it surprised me, but the last two perch trips I used 2 rods - one mono and the other braid and caught more fish with the mono (probably 2-3 to one)!
    Guess that's why it's called "fishing"!!!
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 00:01:05 (permalink)
    well heres my 2 cents when fishing for smaller fish trout bass crappie perch etc i think mono is creme of the crop now as of bigger game fish walleye pike musky catfish braid is awesome knot stenghth is amazing along with hooksets it has barely any stretch if any at all as for having mono as backing i dont and ive never had problems with it tangling wraping or whatever as for it breaking on rocks easily i dont think it does also, i found 8 lb braid in 2 lb diameter at dicks years ago cant find it now newyas ive used it for leader material for steelhead on my flyrod and if the hook was set good enough youll never lose a fish that tip came from an oldtimer on walnut some years ago hope he dosent c this he'll be upset for what its worth i hope it helped
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 00:28:04 (permalink)
    Just curious. Why do you need mono for backing ?
    ORIGINAL: PaWolfman

Yes, you needs mono backing. I'm not a big fan of braided but a lot of people love it with catfishing

kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 00:47:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

from my understanding, they use it for space, so they dont have to put a ton of braid on it, the smaller diameter means not as much of the reel is filled up, doesnt seem like it is incredibly important though

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 05:35:23 (permalink)

Yes it's mainly used for backing but it is also used to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.  Unless the first couple of turns of braid are wrapped on a spool really tight the whole spool of line may slip when reeling in a heavier fish. I 've never had it happen but have read about it.

It may be an old wives tale for all I know but most things I have read are either use mono for backing of use tape after the first couple wraps of braid, then proceed to fill the spool with braid.

For the past 10 years I have never used more than 50 yards of braid after some backing on any reel but my trolling reels. I've had some on for over 5 years and at the end of 5 years I just reversed the braid on the spool and the new end was good as new.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 10:18:46 (permalink)
    Yes, braid will slip on a spool when you get over half way down on a bigger fish.  I use mono backing on all my reels that have braid but I would advise against using reg. tape on the spool.  If you want to use tape, use the medical wrap self sticking "tape" that doesn't leave a sticky residue.  Reg. tape will work but being subjected to heat etc., the glue will ooze out over time and make a mess of the bottom layers of braid and if you want to remove the tape later and go back to mono on that spool, it will be covered with glue that you'll need to take the time to clean off.  If you use the med. wrap, it performs that same as reg. tape without the sticky, leftover goo.

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 13:46:15 (permalink)
    I was just curious at the statement made that you "don't" need mono backing. On my larger bait casters 5500 C3 I use mono as a filler and on my Toro 60 I don't. 150 yds of 80# Suffix fills the spool to max. Revo SX "all braid" tied through holes in spool no tape needed. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or criticizing anyone , just curious. Good advise on the medical tape.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/15 13:49:32
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/15 18:16:05 (permalink)
    ive done both with mono backer and with out mono backer gives a smoother spooling where as braid will kind of dig itself in i say use mono as a backer and as far as braid change to get to a fresh spot spool on some mono on a reel then start from a reel you have braid and spool that on less fry on the other end just a thought
    PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Braid again 2010/07/19 14:52:19 (permalink)

Sorry for the late reply. It helps keep the braided line from digging in your reel overtime.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Jump to: