Minnows...

Author
steel city
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/20 11:42:15 (permalink)

Minnows...

When fishing mins in the creek, do you thread them?

5 Replies Related Threads

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Minnows... 2007/10/20 12:43:00 (permalink)
    Not for steel I don't. Too much of a waste of time and usually if they are hitting minnows you'll hook'im even when the minnow is hooked through the lips or eye sockets. Sometimes when there is little or no current like up there now I'll hook the minnows through the back and free float them with out any weight and let them swim where they may.

Just my two cents.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    steel city
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Minnows... 2007/10/20 18:56:26 (permalink)
    thanks wally cat for the help

steel city
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Minnows... 2007/10/20 20:05:59 (permalink)
    what size minis are best for steelies. lil crappie size or bigger?

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Minnows... 2007/10/20 20:19:47 (permalink)
    If you're just drifing, I'd go with the emerald shiners if you can find 'em this year.  Seems that when things are slow and I grab one of the bigger, livelier ones in the bucket and toss it out, it produces.  'Course, that could just be wishful thinking.

If you're jigging or going for an agression strike, pretty much any shiner - emerald or golden, live or salted - or fathead minnow will work. 

Never have used the big ones for steelhead like the kind you get for bass or catfish, though they might be good too.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Minnows... 2007/10/20 22:03:12 (permalink)
    Rsquared is correct in his explination on the use on minnows. Myself I prefer emeralds and fatheads about 2 inches. Last week and the week before when I bought shiners I got some about 4 inches.....those are bass and walleye size. With no current to contend with you can just about free float them or a very small amount of split shot about 18 - 20 inches from the bait just to get a slow sink. As the water gets colder I've often used dead or salted minnows and just dead drift them through the current and along the bottom with some extra weight. Some of my biggest hens have been caught on salted minnows.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: