Heading up

Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/02 08:30:23 (permalink)

Heading up

i'm heading up with the family. plan on hitting lower river for a few hours one day. and then one other day for a few hours up in the upper fly zone. there are a lot of atlantics in the river. the water went up for kayakers over last weekend when i was there. then on monday with the rain it went up to 1000, but with the rain run off the pineville link read 4000. now it's holding at 1000 cfs. i'll be shocked if i don't get a steelie or an atlantic... I HOPE I HAVE ENOUGH CLASS TO CATCH ONE....

10 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/04 11:28:51 (permalink)
    I hope you catch one. I'd like to.

Lyrical
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/04 12:42:44 (permalink)
    Hope you get there fast cause the water is only 247cfs and that translates to temps in the 70's . As for alot of atlantics, in 26 years of fishing the river I have cought one, and the summer run steelhead(scamania) usually blast the river and hang in church pool,(lower fly zone) and that is closed. I wanted to go up and float on friday when it was 800cfs but opted to chase the walleye instead. The best part about fishing the salmon in the summer is the lack of other fisherman, hope you hooked up. This reminds me of a funny story, use to drag my wife up all the time to fish with me, one time floating in early may we were pluging(back trolling) and just pounding the smallmouth, cought 12 nice heavy fish before we were thru the school house hole, get down into frasiers run I tell her to let them go and she yells at me real them in let them out your killing me! Then as she sits back down the right front rod cracks hard, not a smallmouth but an atlantic that comes sailing out of the water like 3 feet, I yell fish, fish, right front rod and she just sits there. I drop anchor and jump over her to grab the rod but the fish was gone, I say what was that and she just says Im wet and tired and dont care anymore. Ive got to give her credit, shes put up with me and my obsession for 19 years.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/05 20:21:44 (permalink)
    once again didn't get down to the river to fish that is... too much with two kids and the wife. there were a few fish up high, but not many. most probably receded with the 5000 cfs blast they had gotten earlier last week. i was shocked to see mid 200's they must of just let all of that water go... last weekend i was up and just worked on my place sun up to sun down there will be another time though; sooner than later. nice story 3 fan...
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/06 10:43:19 (permalink)
    Yeah- cool story.

Lyrical
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/08 12:12:15 (permalink)
    Funny stuff the 3!

Here's my best "wife" story for the summer river fishing...

Wife got her first 5lb+ smallie just below the compactor many years ago. 4lb test ultra-light rig with a worm.... A first she thought she had a big chub. Then it "woke up". She was screaming help help help! Fish going all over jumping... Her chasing it and falling in... LOL!  Couple guys on the bridge laughing their areses off...

Funny as we look back on it now. She got it in all by herself.

They were great times!

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dadeeo66
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/12 10:59:34 (permalink)
    My favorite wife story doesn't even have a fish in it.

I'm married 39 years and have fished the Salmon for a good part of it. My wife, who does not fish, always wondered why I would drive for 5-6 hours to fish when so many opportunities are here in New Jersey.

A couple of years ago, during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, I took my wife to the Salmon River area. We drove to Sackett's Harbor, Oswego and generally toured the area for a couple of days. When we stopped on the Pineville Bridge so she could see the river, she said it was a beautiful area and she now understood why I am always so anxious to return.

She still talks about returning in the summer to Sackett's Harbor, so I can fish and she can enjoy the antique shops and sidewalk cafes. It's good to have an understanding wife!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/12 16:27:52 (permalink)
    thats for sure dadee. my wife was up in the winter while she was pregnant four years ago and she came out of the car to take a pic of me after i landed one in the lower fly zone. i am very fortunate myself. now that we are done having kids i'm looking forward to finally fishing with her again. the salmon is definitely not the type of river for a pregnant woman..
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/14 12:36:08 (permalink)
    Taking the wife on vaca Salmon fishing can cause her to be pregnant... Trust me! LOL!

Had her out in a boat fishing when she was 7 months pregnant for early steel and browns in April one year. 3-4' waves with occasional bigger ones. She did great. Never thought she would last.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/14 19:31:13 (permalink)
    that's a tough one you've got overhill... my wife hooked a king down in douglaston at around 3 months. i had to grab the rod because she wouldn't chase it. i think that fish ran about 75 yards in about 5 seconds through the rolling white water to then jump out of the water and snap my 10 lb. test. easily a thirty pounder. gotta love it. it's because of that day i believe that my son who's only three has been obsessed with fishing since before he can talk. he has a push button buzz light year rod that i take him bass fishing with. he can cast that little rod up to 25 ft. by himself, and he has already hooked and landed 2 largemouths all on his own. it's times like these that really make you love fishing...
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Heading up 2010/07/15 00:00:14 (permalink)
    That's a tough one to lose. Did she get upset?

Dime, I really can't complain about the wife. She did/does hold her own.  She gives me very little hassel for going fishing compared to others I know . She doesn't care to fish anymore. I guess that's one of the changes in life women go thru. Use to go everywhere together fishing... Had a lot of good times.... More to come hopefully.

I always enjoyed when she would take the fishing  pictures to her work.  She had a lot of luck! (Maybe she just had a good coach!) Guys would bust my balls for taking the wife on a trip to L.O., but the joke was on them... I never slept in a cold bed in any of the motels.. LOL!

Getting the family out is the best! It won't be long til your youngin' will be out and about with you on the big river. Getting him started young. Sounds like your off to a great start. Get him out on a boat! Get his sealegs working. He's still young enough that he might get a king on the lake taller than him! Maybe a laker too!

OVER THE HILL

Jump to: