snappers in arthur

aniewon wanna share some good spots????
lEtt mie no/E

39 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/06/28 20:01:11 (permalink)
    I'd check the beaches duud.  They eat jig n' pigs
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3353
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/06/28 20:05:52 (permalink)
     tHanks' eye just gots a knew pare ov biknocklars at the flee mrkatt eyy wntit two try owt/

u lok'n sliM jYm
    KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/02 11:19:39 (permalink)
    Muddy Creek arm............

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/02 16:47:44 (permalink)
     Plan on putting together some rigs this week. Hope to take the Sportspale out with my youngest & put some sets out up M/C the next couple weeks while trying to locate some good fishin' spots in the swamp. What's any ones fav. set up or bait choice?? Thinkin' chunks ov deer meat might be worth a try?? Or stick with Ground Hogs??

Thanks,
     crappy
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/03 17:15:15 (permalink)
    Cut up TROUT,snappers just love it.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/04 05:53:30 (permalink)
    I took A sweet girl night fishing once and she got a RED SNAPPER
    post edited by BIGHEAD - 2010/07/04 05:54:57
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/04 08:17:33 (permalink)
    Had two trout gutted while on a stringer month or so ago. Looked like I gutted them, neat cut just below the gills and clean as a whistle. Did not eat any other part but maybe I spooked it before he started on the next course.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/05 22:21:01 (permalink)
      Welp, made up 10 sets with 80 lb. Berkley Big Game with tags today. Cut up enough deer chunks for bait & when ready to head out my son Greg said he wouldn't help paddle the canoe  Hope he wants to go in the morning. Do you guys like to keep 'em alive a few days in water or just get it over with when you catch 'em?? If I keep them alive on the canoe I guess a couple burlap sacks tied good should do the trick.

How do you guys like to cook them, fry, grill or soup??

Thanks,
     crappy
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/06 19:11:16 (permalink)
    I keep them in alive in water for about 3-4 days.  Never had turtle soup but I hear its awesome.  I have had them deep fried.  Taste great.  Thats what I did with the one I got last year.  No turtles as of yet.  This week is too hot (for me anyhow) to go check lines and fight the skeeters.  I have caught them on dead bluegills.  I hear ground hog is good because the meat is tough.  Never used it tho.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/06 21:50:52 (permalink)
      I hear you on the heat & skeeters. Prob. gonna wait 'till Fri. to set some lines. Think a galv. wash tub in a cool place with a piece of wood & cement block over it would work if we wanted to keep 'em alive a few days? Of course I would only put 1 in per tub & change the water daily if we go that route. Had a baby Ground Hog in a Have a Hart trap yesterday but decided to let it go elsewhere  The deer meat I cut seems bloody enough & should stay on the hook purdy good. I know deer for turtle 

Is it better to have a float on the sets like pop bottles or just toss 'em out without weight?? Should 80 lb. mono without a leader work? They have mangled some of my steel leaders purdy good in the past

Thanks & Good Luck,
              crappy
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/07 17:37:35 (permalink)
    The set up i have has worked well for me. The rope (all materials purchased at wal mart) is braided nylon rope. 3/16inch.  The label says 90 pound working load.  My leader is 5 strand wire.  Both items at the local wal mart here are located in the same isle. Dont know if this setup deters some turtles because of the heavyness of wire but I have caught turtles on these lines.  Matter of fact I have 10 lines made up and they are all made with those 2 items.  Check the rules and regulations for turtles.  I use 20oz pop bottles on my lines and I heard they are required by law.  For storing turtles, my friend just puts them in a cooler with a lid.  Nothing to hold the lid down.  I have an extra recycling can that I put them in.  One at a time of coarse.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/07 17:45:28 (permalink)
    I just looked at the regulations/rules for snapping turtles.  It says traps, nets, or other devices must be of floating or partially submerged design.  Like I stated above, I tie on a small pop bottle.  Other lines I have seen, the person does the same thing.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/07 19:04:12 (permalink)
    I used to catch them by hand so I am not too familiar with all the regs, but to my knowledge you do not have to have a float if you are just using hooks,but the lines must be tagged with your info. Beware of using a tub with a weight on the lid, I can assure you they will usualy find a way out, also they can chew thier way out of burlap sacks overnight.Best method we found to keep them alive is to use plastic barrels so they can't crawl out. Makes it a bit tricky getting them out though.If they are under 15# approx. I like them fried,any older & bigger are better made into soup in m.o. Also we liked to fry the liver, it was very tasty & didn't have the big veins to deal with. sam
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/13 23:10:54 (permalink)
     Thanks guys,

Finally got to set lines this ArthurEve with my son. Gonna check 'em tomorrow, used deer meat as bait. Hope to be more prepared than we were this eve. Almost sunk the Sportspal & broke a paddle on the way out

Live & learn the hard way again I guess??? No way am I gonna keep any ov those big critters alive in the canoe

The big flys were a pain around my head. Wish us luck, We're gonna need it I think.

crappy
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/14 15:10:33 (permalink)
    Let us know how  you do!  I am putting lines out this weekend

Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/14 15:21:42 (permalink)
    plastic garbage cans with a lid work great.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/14 17:32:19 (permalink)
       If you love animals or have a weak stomach please don't read any further
                                                 Well on the way back from settin' lines yesterday eve. Greg said "Mountain Dew dad" (not the sweat on Dolly Partons' breast either) . So we paddle over & start liftin' the Dew & when the Snapper came up it grabbed the foam float strip on the side ov the boat with its huge claws & almost flipped us. We beached the S.P & I'm untying the 80 lb. test mono from a branch while Greg is dragging the critter on shore when the line sounded off like a fire cracker .  I said to myself he aint gettin' away that easy so I grab his tail & he started pullin' me in the drink  Got him on dry land & had Greg wack 'em a bunch ov times on the noggin (broken paddle) so I could stick him in the neck, skull & slice his throat a bunch ov times. Tied his back legs to his tail with weed wacker line & off we went. He wouldn't fit in plastic rough neck garbage can so I got a very large commercial galv. garbage drum & he fits in it a little sideways. He is still livin' after all that.

Today we went to pull the sets & all the bait was gone except for one Snapper & a Bullhead, don't ask me how it ever got a 3.5' hook way down its mouth past its eye??

Good Luck,
      Crappy  
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2010/07/14 17:41:39
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/14 20:11:13 (permalink)
    How about some Snapper pics?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/15 17:46:17 (permalink)
     I'm gonna clean the bigger one this eve., so I'll take a couple. I checked www.thunderbucks.com on the best way to clean 'em. One guy on there said the heart beat for 3 days after the kill.

crappy
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/15 17:57:11 (permalink)
    Cool....watch them fingers!

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/16 16:42:48 (permalink)
    Roughneck

post edited by crappiefisher - 2010/07/16 16:51:14
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/16 16:58:10 (permalink)
     I tried but a album ov 120 came up.
     That's just too much!
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2010/07/16 19:34:16
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/16 21:33:15 (permalink)
    When I cleaned the one turtle last year I cut the head off and put it aside.  Half hour later I stuck a pair of pliers in its mouth and it clamped down on them.  Took about a little while but I got them out.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/16 22:54:25 (permalink)
      The one I cleaned yesterday, after removing the head I put a garden hose in the neck cavity & wrapped it with a wire tie then turned on the hose. This filled the Snapper up with water between the shell & skin. It made it a lot easier to remove the shell.

Last time I cleaned some (24 yrs. ago) I had about 8 heads on the deck for a few hrs. & when I went to discard 'em one grabbed my hand , scared the crap out ov me more than anything, good thing it was a smaller one.

I'll get my son to post a pic. ov the roughneck tomorrow when he gets home from fishin'.

Good Luck if u get to set some lines this weekend.

crappy
    flyingmoles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/17 06:55:02 (permalink)
    someone please catch every last stinkin snapper out of the swamps behind bridgeport dam. i'm sick of them taking my carp rigs and destroying them. i can't get through a night of carp fishing with out getting at least one. it's been like that for years. i haven't been able to really fish it like i used to. some days you could walk across the turtles floating around on the water. i've seen at least 3 kinds between the two ponds, two creeks and the swamp. westmoreland parks and rec build amphibian ponds directly off of the swamps to help the lizards and toads and whatever. it seems to me that the only thing it really helped was the turtles.
    KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/17 15:41:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

The one I cleaned yesterday, after removing the head I put a garden hose in the neck cavity & wrapped it with a wire tie then turned on the hose. This filled the Snapper up with water between the shell & skin. It made it a lot easier to remove the shell.

Last time I cleaned some (24 yrs. ago) I had about 8 heads on the deck for a few hrs. & when I went to discard 'em one grabbed my hand , scared the crap out ov me more than anything, good thing it was a smaller one.

I'll get my son to post a pic. ov the roughneck tomorrow when he gets home from fishin'.

Good Luck if u get to set some lines this weekend.

crappy

Bury the paws (feet) in an anthill for a few weeks and then retrieve. The claws will still be there and resemble mini bear claws.

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/17 16:14:59 (permalink)
    Do the same with the head,after that you can mount it on a board like a skull mount.you can also do the same with a shell & make a odds & ends bowl. sam
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/17 18:11:24 (permalink)
      You guys r 2 much!!!!

My buddy just got the shovel & threw out the head & paws I was saving back in the weeds. We were havin' a few beers near the bait tank outside & him & his old ladie noticed the stench . The beetles/maggots & flys were workin' on the head purdy good, not the paws so much. They just invited me up for dinner

I'll have look for 'em tomorrow in the jaggers I guess. I did salt down the shell & today when I was using the pressure washer I got the bright idea "why not do the shell" Now I have Borax on it. The tail had some pretty big spikes also. Was up cleaning the meat until 3 am. this morn. Wonder if it is easier to boil it first before removing the meat for soup?
    With 7 types ov meat, it got confusing what wasn't fat???

No baby ducks seen at the duck pond this year again, wonder why??

crappy

post edited by crappiefisher - 2010/07/17 18:16:33
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: snappers in arthur 2010/07/17 19:40:33 (permalink)
    That one big Snappa!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: