Pymatuning Fish Kill

Author
walleye taker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/01 23:33:48 (permalink)

Pymatuning Fish Kill

Ok, I have been reading all the post and something no one has ask is are the fish dying in the preserve water. And from what I can tell they are not!! So why is the main lake killing the fish once again as it did about 4 years ago with all the dead walleye. ( remember o2 levels ). Come on this stinks again with the smell of someone screwed up. I have fished the lake all my life ( 42yrs ) and the only time I know of fish dying like this is 4yrs ago with the walleye kill and now the crappies. Something stinks besides the fish!!!

In all that time( since 1934 ) this is the only time the lake got warm real fast and Bacteria just exploded causing all the crappies to die. I fished Friday ,Saturday , Sunday 95% of the dead fish are crappies. which were in the weeds two weeks ago spawning like crazy. And now there are dead weeds floating all around the lake. Kinda makes you wonder don't it. Come on people wake up!!!! I call BS.. JMOP.
post edited by walleye taker - 2010/06/01 23:39:26

18 Replies Related Threads

eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 09:00:40 (permalink)
    I agree. How come there isn't a die off in the river or down stream at Shenango? When the eyes died off they blamed the o2 levels. How come only the eyes were effected and not other species? If the o2 level was so low it would effect all species of fish just not one. When they sprayed the weeds years ago they had a large die off of muskies. Than the eyes and now crappies. I'm leaning towards humans as a factor in this die off.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 09:41:25 (permalink)
    Spring Kill
    Spring kill occurs in lakes and rivers when fish survive the winter but die as the water warms rapidly in May and June. It rarely claims many fish and is usually over in a couple of weeks. Spring kill is almost always due to natural causes beyond our influence. The usual victims are large bluegills and crappies, and other fish which spawn in the spring such as perch, bass, pike and suckers.
    A combination of stresses is usually responsible. Fish come through the winter in a weakened condition because they've been eating at a reduced rate. As the water warms, their metabolism increases and they divert much energy to strenuous spawning activities. In lakes, additional stress may be added during "turnover", which is when wave action stirs up bottom water low in oxygen and high in noxious gases. Diseases and parasites also become more active and on a few occasions have been implicated in fish kills. An example is the spring salmon mortality in Lake Michigan caused by bacteria kidney disease (BKD).

Summer Kill
    Summer kill occasionally occurs in lakes and streams during extremely hot summer weather. High temperature and low dissolved oxygen combine to stress the fish. Most prone to summer kills are pike, perch, suckers, bass, and bluegill living in shallow, productive lakes or bays with excessive amounts of algae or rooted aquatic vegetation. The plants consume large amounts of oxygen at night, causing a temporary shortage of the vital gas just before dawn. A cloudy, calm day extends the critical period by reducing re-oxygenation from photosynthesis and wave action. Apparently, fish in the oxygen-depleted areas do not sense the danger and swim to safety in time.
    Summer kill may also occur in deep, unproductive lakes containing trout or cisco. These fish require both cold and well-oxygenated water. During summer they seek refuge in the cold bottom layers where temperatures are less than 72 degrees F. Death results if the oxygen level there declines below about 4 ppm. Trout will also die in streams if they are unable to find cold spring water. Several stream trout mortalities were reported during the hot summer of 1995.
    A very unique type of fish kill is caused by a lightning strike on water. Death occurs immediately. Large fish, which draw more electricity than small fish, may be killed selectively.
    In conclusion, the risk of some types of fish kills can be reduced by keeping as many nutrients out of the water as possible. Sources of nutrients include septic fields, fertilized lawns and farm fields, and wastes from livestock and waterfowl (including tame geese). Reducing nutrient input starts the following favorable chain reaction: production by aquatic plants is reduced, less decomposition is required, and oxygen will not become depressed to critical levels.
    Natural fish kills are obnoxious, and may affect fishing and predator-prey "balance" for years. However, they are often not serious in the long run because lakes contain thousands of fish per acre. They may be thought of as nature's way of thinning out fish populations. Usually, fish kills indicate that the habitat is of marginal quality for certain species because of the broad range of weather conditions we experience in Michigan.
    Infrequently, fish kills indicate habitat or pollution problems we may be able to correct. And sometimes, fish kills beneficially reduce over-populated, slow-growing panfish and actually increase growth rates and improve fishing.

Walleyes will be affected more by low O2 beacuse they live on the bottom where O2 levels are the least....

Crappies are very suseptable to disease during and after the spawn. They are just worn out for a time...

Very quick spikes in lake temps can bring all of these problems...Which seems to be what has happened here..

No big conspiracy just Mother nature taking care of her own......

Pymy used to be one of the premiere Musky lakes in the east till a disease about devastated the Musky populations years ago......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 10:16:06 (permalink)
    I agree with a lot of that Bings but why aren't the fish dying in the other part of the lake. I have fished the lake all my life and have seen many changes, and it is normal to see dead fish in the spring but to kill this many fish all at once I say weed killer. The only thing that kills weeds is weed killer and there is weeds dead all over the lake. Something stinks.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 10:32:36 (permalink)
    I have to say, I really didn't notice any more dead weeds than normal over the weekend.

Spent quite a few hours all over the south/central lake & was watching for major weed die offs & didn't see anything out of the ordinary. A few dead weeds along shore, but aren't there always?

Not sure myself...just doesn't seem to fit the MO of weed killer, too widespread IMO.
    Time will tell, but there weren't many fresh dead fish last weekend (I saw 1) Most were badly decomposed.
    So hopefully the worst is behind us.
    post edited by Pork - 2010/06/02 10:33:12

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    CAP78
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 12:23:26 (permalink)
    Given the fact that water temperature plays a role in this I would think that water depth would also be a factor, seeing how shallower water warms faster.  Could this be why Conn. Lake wasn't mentioned in the fish kill?  I know Tamarack is very shallow.  Just a thought, I could be way off base.  
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 13:23:35 (permalink)
    Very good point Cap78. Now think about the preserved water on the other side of the lake. It is also shallow, And would warm very fast why aren't the fish belle up over there also?????.

SOMETHING STINKS AND ITS NOT THE FISH.
    post edited by walleye taker - 2010/06/02 13:24:07
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 13:29:55 (permalink)
    My cuz was fishing Chatauqua quite a bit this spring and he said from 2 weekends ago to last weekend, the water temp. there went from 64 to 74.  That is a huge jump in a week.  I am sure Pymy increased temp. even more over that period since it is much shallower, overall.  Hopefully it was just something natural. 
    fryem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 15:22:15 (permalink)
    Check out the PA fish commission home page there was a large fish kill at Tamarack and a posted do not eat the fish from that lake.

I also witnessed a rapid increase in surface temp at Wilhem just as Eyesandgills mentioned about the lake his cuzin fishes, wilhelm also went from 62-64 to 75-77 in a week. This last holiday weekend at wilhelm there where dead white suckers I seen less than 10 and dead small panfish floating here and there not many but more than what might be assciated with people ripping hooks out of gut hooked 2 to 4 inch bluegills and crappies
    Struckout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/02 17:34:39 (permalink)
         I have been reading a lot about the fish kill in Pymmie. Seems a lot of different opinions are being expressed with no certain information which would explain any of it. There was a fish kill in WVA and the fish kill there is a lot like the one at Pymmie. All of the reasons I have read seem plausible and I guess we won't know until the research results are back. The issue stated earlier about the O2 level in the water and why it would only affect a certain species in the lake and not the river can be attributed to the water flow and the specific species. Not all fish require the same amount of oxygenated water to live. Some species require less O2 in the water to exist than others would.
         There has been releases which indicate a virus or bacteria may be issue. I find this idea very credible. The Crappie and panfish are on the lower rungs of the food chain... so if one of the species contracts a virus or bacterial infection the higher up predators may start dieing off because of feeding habits.
         Last time I was camping up at the lake we found a thing which resembled a jellyfish. Upon researching the creature we found out that it is an organism and only survives in unpolluted, clean water. Sorry I can't remember the name of the thing. I wonder if these organisms have been dieing also?
    AJtheFisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/04 15:55:35 (permalink)
    The first thing we thought down here was weed killer. We haven't been up there though in over a month, so I can't say anything for sure. It just seems odd. Regardless it's sad and I hope other lakes don't have the same misfortune.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/05 01:31:11 (permalink)
    I have a story about Conneaute creek, We used to go fishing for bullheads at a couple of spots that really produced some good eating, and in good numbers.A few years back we went to one of the spots that always came through. Never got a bite in four hours,and I mentioned to a fellow angler later about no bullheads to be found.He knew that they were gone also. Two years ago I came across some D.E.P. guys taking water flow surveys in Temple Creek, a tributary to Conneaute creek. They were getting ready to release lamprey poison and needed so many Gallons per minute flow to get an effective dose administered . I asked them if the poison effected other species in the waters and they were slow to respond asked them again and was told that it would in fact be harmful to fish that dwell on or near the bottom. Essentially would kill them off so there was the answer to that .They were an acceptable sacrifice to the invasive species control. Also I witnessed trout made sick and non edible from this , by a release of poison on the first day of trout season one year . Wonder who the stooge was that pulled that one off ! The fish wardens were going all over the creek advising people not to eat the fish they did catch and to wait 24 hours to resume fishing then it would be safe.
    blairsummit
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/05 03:16:47 (permalink)
    AJtheFisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/06 05:09:05 (permalink)
    So it took that long to simply say bacteria... and then they don't give the name of a specific bacteria. I'm not buyin' it.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/06 11:33:06 (permalink)
    thats not too bad. dont know all the specifics but didnt it only take them how long(10+ years) to admit to what happened to the walleye population(fry)?...or did they ever admit it was due to alewife stocking? didnt they hire biologists, scientists, universities, etc... to investigate that also.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/06 12:38:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: **commander**

thats not too bad. dont know all the specifics but didnt it only take them how long(10+ years) to admit to what happened to the walleye population(fry)?...or did they ever admit it was due to alewife stocking? didnt they hire biologists, scientists, universities, etc... to investigate that also.

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/06 18:55:23 (permalink)
    uhhh, pretty weak, even by your standards. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/06/07 11:29:08 (permalink)
    It is just a preliminary report.  Probably waiting until it is reviewed to make sure they can publish it. 

Some bacteria take longer than others to culture. 

Did anyone do a search to find other articles about it?  Maybe it was just bad reporting that the suspected bacteria wasn't mentioned.  Better a bacteria that only grows in prime conditions than VHS which would always be present and maybe more damaging. 

MassillonBuckeye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pymatuning Fish Kill 2010/08/08 23:04:46 (permalink)
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2010press/pyma_tam_lifted.htm
    Headed up there Tuesday. Any recent reports? Haven't been up there in 10+ years.
    Jump to: