Panfish on the Fly

Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/27 12:18:30 (permalink)

Panfish on the Fly

I'm takin the kid out tonight after some big bluegill I found. We're hopin' to do a little fly fishing for them. As alot of you know, I suck at flyfishing...with no clue what even to use outside of steelhead.

ViolentPike was given a boatload of flies...I don't even know where to start in the box(es). I unfortunately don't even have the vocabulary to know what to use if ya told me the name. PIcs would be helpful (but a pain...I know)

Should we use dries or nymphs...and how do ya tell if a fly floats by looking at it? How do you work a dry? How do you work a nymph? I know it's alot to ask about a few hours b4.

We'll be in the Bay...The fish are on beds...and are pretty agressive.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully VP will have a post to put up

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

11 Replies Related Threads

wxfisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 12:32:22 (permalink)
    Basically any of the flies will probably work. Panfish are not too picky. To be basic, dries usually have wings and feathers sticking up near the hook eye. Nymphs are long and sender. Wet flies usually just have wings which are laying down along the top of the fly.

I like nymphs. Just let them sink and twitch them back.

There is some basic info at the site below on fly fishing stuff.

http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fly-fishing/fishing-flies-lures
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 12:41:06 (permalink)
    Anything with a beadhead is a nymph...or at least an underwater fly. I sent him along a few beadhead pheasant tails (small brown, with a copper bead, and a few beadhead prince nymphs (gold bead, greenish fuzzy body, 2 thin white wings on the back and 2 brown tails). Both of those would be a great choice for bluegill.

At the pond where I do most of my gill fishing, I just cast out a few feet and let the fly sink at its own speed, watching the point where the line enters the water. If it starts moving away from you or to either side, lift the rod (dont have to do a bassmasters hookset), and the gill will, 90% of the time, be on the line.

James, you can tie woolly buggers. They're awesome for bluegills too.

As far as dries, I'm convinced that anything that looks like a bug will take any surface feeding bluegill. Cast it out, if it floats, leave it sit. If nothing hits within 45 seconds or so, cast it out to another spot.
    bird dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 12:44:09 (permalink)
    Ants are easy and are very effective flies for 'gills.
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 13:58:38 (permalink)
    foam spiders and cork poppers also work great they are twitched on the surface and a blast to use and you never know what is going to eat them such as nice sized large and smallmouth bass and it is a blast catching large gills on a flyrod. 
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 14:00:16 (permalink)
    Thanks duuds

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 14:04:28 (permalink)
    I just got back from hitting some bedding gills with my flyrod.I'm no expert at it i try and have fun.I like foam spiders and a couple other foam bugs I tie.i also us something like a wooly worm I tie(chenille body with hackle wrapped around it),nothing fancy.We catch quite a few on them whether on a fly rod or spinning rod with a float.It's amazing how fast a gill will suck a fly in then spit it out before you can set the hook.Have fun and post some pics if you take any.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6398
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 16:39:09 (permalink)
    The black ant and the foam spider would be good choices.  The big green drake will get you great topwater action (maybe even a small bass)  good luck.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 20:43:31 (permalink)
    I was out yesterday and took over 30 (catch and release) on a lighting bug , i found this fly on tri-county fly fishers ,its a fly club out of central florida and there flies work great up here

any day of fishing is a gift
    Mr. Sftplstc
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/27 22:39:33 (permalink)
    Crushed them in the Lagoons with a black and blue prince last week.  Tipped it with some wax worms and grubs at times they even hit it wit out them tipped caught four pounds of fish!!  Then took some people out on my boat and caught 8 lbs of Bluegill and Crappie.  Will they were panfishing I was bass fishing and caught some nice large mouth on a wacky rig and stump jumper.  I know it is late Mr.  Slickfish but pm me if you want to check out my spots.

"Not me. I'm in my prime."
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/28 09:01:54 (permalink)
    Caddis dry flies or smaller FOAM flies have worked well for me..........I usually drop a small nymph or midge off of that........

Another killer pattern is a wooly worm  --  tied with yellow chenille, wrapped with grizzly hackle and something RED for the butt---hackle or a small loop of chenille--pinch of red CDC 

Green weenies work and you can see them underwater...........

If they are big and aggressive gills, use smaller POPPER flies........you'll get some really neat takes and those poppers take a beating and keep on floating............they don't have to be the expensive ones either.....the cheap K-mart or wal-mart value packs work just great for bluegill---drop a small nymph off the popper

post some pics!!!........

www.2bonthewater.com
    KMP
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 439
    RE: Panfish on the Fly 2010/05/28 11:09:03 (permalink)
    white buggers, and size 14 prince nymphs are the ticket..i like using white trout magnets with a silver jig under a drift float in open water for panfish..you catch alot of species on that especially in marinas
    Jump to: