fast actioin vs. moderate action

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/22 13:47:11 (permalink)

fast actioin vs. moderate action

i know, as an infrequent fly fisherman, that i cast much better with a softer action rod.  what applications would a fast action rod be best for?  can smaller trout rods still be effective with a fast action? 

11 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 13:52:08 (permalink)
    When I think fast rods I think bulky flies, long distance, windy conditions. Others go to a fast rod in tight crowded surroundings as well. I think there are plenty of fast trout rods, though I, like you, prefer a more moderate action.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 14:01:19 (permalink)
    m, if i were to get a back up to my 5wt, should i get another moderate or a fast?   6.7 and kjh have me convinced to try a tfo next.  i love the fact that it is a blue-collar priced rod. 
    post edited by rapala11 - 2010/05/22 14:02:36

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 14:21:42 (permalink)
    I have a med/fast that is nice for a quick flick situations where you want the tip to load but don't have the room for a full loading cycle, ie. a quick snappy roll cast or reachin out at an odd angle and doing a downstream -> upstream/ perpendicular to a bank type of cast.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 19:56:46 (permalink)
    In my opinion a fast action rod is very good for big fliesand also for tricky casting conditions where wind or obstacles may prevent using the rod to it's full advantage. Like roll casting a nymph and three split shot in between 6 other fishermen so you can get just the right drift in the project hole or the stop sign hole. SA fast action rod will usually cast farther anc more accurately than a slow or medium. But unless you're really good I doubt you'll see much differencein overall performance. Use what feels best.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 21:39:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Use what feels best.

Yep
    PAFLYBOY2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/22 22:05:31 (permalink)
    If you are interested in a particular rod, such as a TFO, and it feels a bit fast for your taste you might consider overlining it by a line weight. That is, try a 5wt line on a 4wt rod, etc. Being that I like my rods to be somewhat slower in action, I find myself overlining most of the rods that I use by at least one weight. Good luck, the search is half the fun!
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/23 01:04:46 (permalink)
    I personally like a fast action rod, might be the young guy in me. I love getting a fly out there and fishing the opposite bank.  Ive read of rivers in BC where you have to spey cast 75' to fish the opposite bank where the fish are. Thats my kind of fishing. Fast and moderate action also help protect tippet. Correct me if wrong but a moderate or slow action protects tippet better. Find what you like and stick with it. For trout I like somewhere inbetween. Light tippet is the key sometimes.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/23 05:41:43 (permalink)
    when I was building rods for sale, I had a process I went through with each person who wanted a fly rod to pick the weight, length, action, etc. Action, i.e. relative flex characteristics, is determined by your style of casting. If you like to really push a rod hard, haul on every cast regardless of length, and you're comfortable with not feeling the road load as much then a faster action is for you. If you have a naturally quick tempo to your casting stroke then a faster rod is for you. If you would rather feel a rod load, like to just pick up line and set it back down, or have a slower casting stroke, then a slower rod is for you. The intended use of the rod has little to no bearing on the casting action required. You are far better to pick a rod based on your natural casting stroke and style than to pick one because it is better for that application.

The only time that I feel it is advisable to move up to a little faster rod than normal is if you're (1) a really good caster AND (2) you're casting a full line all day, normally on the beach in saltwater. In that case, you're already double hauling line all day. A 'normal' casting stroke for a moderate rod with the added haul will normally overload the action beyond what a person is used to feeling. Plus, when you've got 60' of line moving backwards to lay out on the backcast, it takes a little while. Having a rod that is too slow and requires exact timing will be more critical than a slightly faster rod (though not the fastest as they will be just as critical).

I would pick the backup rod to have a very similar action to the rod you already have.

Thanks
    Rick
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/24 07:51:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Use what feels best.

Yep

yep

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/24 18:05:58 (permalink)
    yep X 3. Join the Honorable Brotherhood of Anglers Who Believe in Using Equipment that Suits Us, Rather than what Rod Manufacturers Want Us to Buy.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: fast actioin vs. moderate action 2010/05/24 23:18:10 (permalink)
    TFO makes rods from medium to fast action. I have a TiCr 5wt, its on the faster side of med/fast, the literature says it's a fast action but I've casted faster actions. I also have a TFO professional 3wt, its a med/fast action. you want to try them, let me know. i'm always looking for an excuss to go to volant.
    Jump to: