Escaping

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/22 07:43:55 (permalink)

Escaping

Recently I found myself searching for a way to escape, to lose myself, and to completely empty my mind and thoughts. There’s a lot going on right now as there is for many of us and we all have our own way of coping with it. For me though it’s been a struggle. My sister has cancer, my mother is struggling with serious health issues, and my recent decision to take a management position has so occupied my mind that it seems like the daily need to prioritize decisions and juggle what seems like a dozen different things at once consumes me. A very close friend of mine who is on my crew is also undergoing a heroic struggle with chemo and radiation and is just entering the dark side of it all.            

So last night, I packed the fly rod, vest, and waders and stopped on the way home for a few hours. It didn’t work as I found myself still thinking. I fact, I found myself sitting along the water’s edge with the rod laid across my lap - just looking and searching for answers. It’s sad that I cannot escape so easily….I know it. I’ll be the first to admit – I was a bit scared and as I sat there my eyes started to sweat.              

You see being on the water or at the vice was always my solution. In fact, the vice was what occupied my mind during the long recent months of recovery from two surgeries. Couldn’t really fish so I tied. Although it hurt, tying allowed me not to feel it. But that was physical pain – this is different as I found out once again this morning. Couldn’t sleep last night thinking of it all and around 4am, I slid out of bed, poured a cup of coffee, turned on the lamp and sat down at the vice to try a Carrie Stevens pattern. About halfway through, I just yanked on the bobbin and broke it off and threw it in the can. So now I’m writing…….venting if you would and opening up to people who I’ve never met but consider my friends…..those who I’m sure can relate.           

I’m sure you’ve all been where I’m at – not being able to release it all. And I’m not searching for answers because we all have our own way. And it’ll come back for me at some point. It has to because what was so important to me was the way I could always …..not forget….. but to escape. And there are times in all of our lives when we loose that ability. I just never thought it would be so hard to find once again.            

For now though….think I’ll visit that old friend of mine later today, then stop in and see mom and my sister. Priorities you know. And next weekend…well I’ve got five days off and I swear I’ll be on the water again – giving it another try.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

26 Replies Related Threads

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 07:54:34 (permalink)
    Rough patches end eventually.Three things that have worked for me....prayers....go fishin....and help someone else with THEIR problems.....you'll be OK and stronger.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5035
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 08:30:27 (permalink)
    Family, friends and prayer...
    Give Mom a big hug and tell her how much she has meant to your life. (helps me)
    Tell your friends how much their friendship has meant and enriched your life.
    Tell your God how much his love has meant and fills your heart and makes everday on this earth possible....
    Then tell yourself lifes tribulations are just a test of the soul and will all pass with time...
    Then get on the water for the sound of the flowing waters help cleanse the soul of many of it's trials...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2581
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 09:14:06 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that things are not going well for you lately. Eveyone goes through periods in life when bad things continue to pile up and you find yourself failing to come up with a way to cope with it all. I, and probably countless others have bottomed out emotionally many times in life. Somtimes things seemed to me to be so overwhelming and hopeless that I hoped that when I finally fell asleep at night, that I wouldn't wake up the next morning. But sooner or later things would level out and I was glad that I continued to live. Nothing in life is static. Times change, bad times don't last forever, neither do good  ones. You will no doubt come out of this and get back to feeling the zest for the things you enjoy doing. Winston Churchill used to call periods like this in his life, "Bitten by the black dog." I have been nipped quite a few times myself. I sincerely hope that your sister, mother and your friend make a full recovery from their ailments and go on to live long and happy lives. I don't know if you put much stock in prayer, but I do, and I will do so for you and your loved ones. Hope things take a turn for the better for you quickly.

How did the person who invented the first clock know what time it was?

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 09:25:04 (permalink)
    Prayer....it's what I do best... looking for answers and solutions and the strength - not for me but the others. When I make the rounds today, I'll be sure and tell them that there are many out there who care and are in their thoughts. You all are great......thanks so much.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8546
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 10:01:20 (permalink)
    Steel , my prayers are with you my friend. Life is hard.
    I,m putting up a post by a dear departed friend that knew the end was near.
    Never an easy answer to lifes pain and how to deal with it.
    Give yourself to others the best you can. Hug your wife and tell her how much she means to you and
    always remember the good times in life. Things can build up like a volcano ready to erupt.
    Try to grasp life and give what you can. We care for you and pray for a better time.

posted on 26-Jan-2006 6:04:44 AM

To me "FRIENDS" is a chilly mornin today and wishin my friends go into the daily grind of life today knowin ya'll mean the world to the Cripple, bundle up and keep warm drive safely and realize if everything''s comin your way, chances are your in the wrong lane;o

Nobody cares if you can dance well, just get up and dance!!

Never put both of your feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on;o

You may only be one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person

A truly "HAPPY" person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour

We could learn alot from a box of crayons... Some are sharp, some are perty. some are dull, some have weird names, and "ALL" are different colors, but they "ALL" have to live in the same box

Birthdays are good for U, the more ya have, the longer U live

It may be your sole purpose in life simply to be kind to others

Accept some days you're the pigeon, and some days your the statue

Alway's keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them;o

Whatever burdens you're carryin today, put'em down ya'll put'em down right now!!! rest for now!! and retain : hoo LUVS YA'S??? The Cripple duzz

Be careful out there today Huge shout goin out to those of you that are the back bone of this country and go into the everyday grind of life, Ya'll "ROCK!!!"

To the afflicted, may the blessed Jesus hold U in his hands and lift your spirits on this day

Crips lookin out the window in the house of recovery and reachin for the stars, on this day Cripples spirit prepares to step up and embrace the "STRUGGLE" of his walk in life. "BRING IT ON!!!!" to my wonderful friends on the fisherie site many thanks for the inspiration ya'll bring to the cripples world, ME LUV'S YA'S soon the darkness shall submit to the light of day, with the new dawn, is new "HOPE" yea baby! Your "FRIEND" Terry >*))))))><

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 10:35:02 (permalink)
    steely, i wish i could talk to you face-to face, but this will have to do.  i have been there recently.  had a few tough years that aged me, made me feel downright empty and at a loss and also made me stronger.  those that are left, i have pulled closer to me and felt closer to them.  i went through long periods where i would load up the truck with gear only to get to the lake and sit, drinking coffee and thinking.  the rods never saw water, the decoys collected dust.  i, too, looked for answers, but none were to be had.  i reached with strength, to my faith and in it, i found peace.  my folks would tell me, as a young lad, that life was for the living.  you have to go on.  they knew, even as a youngster attending a funeral, that i had questions.  life goes on.  now they are gone, a lot of family is gone, the job is rotten these days, i have friends going through the same deadly chemo......and you know what, life goes on.  i have come to grips with my own mortality and recognize each day that i have with health as a gift.  i love my wife 1000 times more today than the day we got married, i enjoy all the things that i do with my daughter with the hopes of doing even more, and i cherish the sunrise and sunsets.  i go to the one-fly and o.c. and shenango, not to fish, but to be near people that i fell close to, to hear them talk, knowing they have had the same doubts and struggles that you and i have had.

times will get better, times will get bad again.  we endure, we mourn, and find a way to laugh again.  life is good, though bittersweet at times.  answers may not come in our time and we must accept that.

continue to head for the water and the woods.  take a rod, even though you may not use it.  it has other purposes, such as stirring memories.  look at the water, the trees and the sky.  they are gifts, special gifts.

i feel for you, empathize, with you and wish i had words.  they won't help.  your peace and your healing will come from within.  trust Him.  as others said, hug those close to you and let them know that you love them.

it will get better.......trust me.  when my time comes, i don't want anyone mourning me...................... life is for the living.
    post edited by rapala11 - 2010/05/22 10:37:12

chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 10:39:53 (permalink)
    Fishing has always given me much of what I need to get thru as well. Excitement when I need it, relaxation and time to think, when I need that too. Getting thru it (life) day after day is tough and doesn't leave much time for anything else sometimes, but your sport and your friends are always going to be there for you. We may not have met each other, but you love your familly and you love to fish, that's all I need to know, friend.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 11:32:42 (permalink)
    Some people cant rationalize in their minds how to go to Jesus with their struggles and storms in life. I can tell you from experience that He does in fact care and will take your hand to help you through. All you need to do is ask and He knows your heart He understands . Ya ever notice some of His closest friends were fishermen ?  I know another was a tax collector but well not go there...
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4927
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 11:34:29 (permalink)
    You have been given some sage advice from the posters above.  Here is not such a thoughtful idea -- go shoot something.

For some reason, when the water won't clear my mind, I go blast something (it doesn't need to be alive, a clay bird or a can will do) and then the fishing therapy works.  It kind of shakes out the first layer and lets the water take over.

Give it a try.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 11:57:33 (permalink)
    That works too!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6398
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 13:02:42 (permalink)
    You know Dardys has a good point. Sometimes just the action of a violent expression of emotion breeaks down the barriers and allows you to "emotionalize" your situation better. When stuff used to get me down I would restore rods (like tying flies) but when I really got stressed I'd go to the garage and take something apart (like and old washer) and then scrap the thing. Exercise (brisk) will help bring stress relief. Or you could do like a friend of mine did. He has a construction company. One day he was really PO'd so he threw a portable air compressor off a roof. Except it was still attached to an air line, which acted like a big bungee cord. So when the air compressor re-bounded and almost made it back to us we all laughed so hard. Tension was broken.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 14:20:41 (permalink)
          As I sit here after returning from my visit with my dear friend (mother and sis weren't up for a visit today..that'll be tomorrow) and after reading the replies and pm's, I just cannot help but once again realizing that this site is so unique in that I can create a thread like this one and there will be so many "strangers" but friends out there who can offer such good advice. Mohawk, Glen, Rollcaster, Washdog and the others above - your words bring direction. And Mika - Crip's words....thanks for reminding me of it all.

This whole thing has made me realize something though. Basically it's "Who am I to even consider an escape?" I just spent an hour sitting on the porch of a man who loves life but is going through a very difficult time right now. Although the treatments are robbing him of all the basics of life, he still has the courage and energy to move on...to smile and laugh at the simple things. We talked about the time I fell in - the time he got hung in the tree branch along the small mt. stream. And we smiled about our memories. He cannot escape reality and that's all I wanted and tried hard to do. Self serving of me isn't it.

He told me to fish next weekend - to take pictures of the spot I fell in and of the water and the trees and with a smile - the fish. And he told me to bring those images back for him to look at and remember. And it was then that I realized that it's not about the escape - the forgetting. It's about facing it all and dealing with it. Not to be so consumed with myself and my own ease but instead it's about being there for others - making them smile and talking about all the good times. Because like he told me when I left - there are so many more of them - they far outnumber the bad.

All you guys are great...I mean that so much. And on the upcoming day in October when we all gather at Folley's.....well it'll be one happy day!!!!!!!!

Gotta get a rag now - the eyes are startin to sweat again.

John Gierach

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8546
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 15:26:26 (permalink)
    Can I use that when your done? Geez...

basshole1990
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 21:02:19 (permalink)
    I don't know you, but hang tough Steely. My prayers are with you.

Bigger is better.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 22:21:37 (permalink)
    This whole thing has made me realize something though. Basically it's "Who am I to even consider an escape?"

steely, having been there twice for long periods, sometimes we need to draw back a bit for a breath, to regroup and meditate.  you are no different than any other, though it seems your heart is bigger than a lot of folks i know.  you will continue to be strength to those who need it, but you need to stay strong yourself, both physically and mentally.  you will continue in my prayers.  know that you are an inspiration to many of us too.  thanks for exposing your humanity side.   

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 22:54:04 (permalink)
    Steely, when you were sitting with your rod across your lap, I know the Lord was so close to you, its not possible to explain or comprehend. But believe me, I've been there and once I made a commitment my life has never been the same. If the situation arises again, call out from your heart and He will answer. That is the truth. If you give Him a chance He will lift you and your loved ones up.It is that simple if you seek Him. It lays in your hands.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/22 23:14:04 (permalink)
    THE LAST LECTURE  by Randy Pausch a Carnegie Mellon professor is an inspirational book you all should read, but is also available on line and worth looking and listening to! Follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Randy (now deceased) gave this before a packed audience of his family, friends, students, and colleagues - truly inspirational and thought provoking! Highly recommend reading the book or viewing the video! Much good advice and thoughtful comments here - truly amazing forum! Good luck and God bless!
    penn_artist
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/23 05:39:12 (permalink)
    My prayers are with you and your family. A couple years ago I moved back to PA and quickly found myself dealing with things I had run from for a lot time.  Tough facing the demons. Then in the process my dad said he had 2-6 months to live. He made it 20 days.  Thats when I turned to God, my song writing and my undying love for all things outdoors.   I got back into fishing,  hiking, bird watching, looking for native wild orchids and being a volunteer naturalist again for organizations and parks.

One thing that has helped me a lot over the past few years is knowing that no amount of pain last forever.

Best wishes friend 
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/23 16:30:10 (permalink)
    Hey Steely,
    I must have read this at least 3-4 times before I got up the gumption to post.I found out 5 yrs. ago that I have incureable but "manageable"lymphoma.At that time I was ready to die.After the initial shock wore off I decided that I really needed to start living each day to the MAX.It was also at this time that I picked up a rod n reel for the first time in 15yrs.I had completley forgotten the peace and tranquility that being on the water gave me.For me there have been mornings that I get up at sunrise(or earlier)and walk down to the crick,and end up doing nothing but watching the world come alive around me.During these past years I've had to say goodbye to more people than I care to think of and I don't want to forget.At the same time I know in my heart that those people are still watching and want me to be the best person that I can be in life.That being said,I wish you nothing but peace and tranquility for your mind.It'll come just let it roll.
    Don't know if this will help or not but I hope that I can lend a different perspective.
    ac
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/23 19:43:44 (permalink)
    Steel--Last May I was diagnosed w/ cancer of my left nymph nodes and tonsils. I had them removed and went through 33 radiations and 3 chemos, a food tube and 6 months of hell. I had a clean PET scan and was back on my feet and feeling great, fishing ,hunting and livin' the good retired life.
    Three weeks ago I had a 6 month follow-up PET scan,which discovered 2 new hot spots on my right side. They removed my lymph nodes and everything was clean-no cancer. Thank you, Jesus. A glitch on the screen, but given my history I had to have the operation.
    What I'm tryin' to say is, the sun shines every morning, somewhere. Don't give up hope, things do get better. My Dad
    called those periods the ugly part of life. Somehow with the help of your love of the woods and waters, you'll get through them. God Bless You, Brother.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/23 20:09:05 (permalink)
    Steely , Im sorry for the tough times you are experiencing. Been a busy week for me and wish I could have posted sooner. All I can say is you have my friendship and phone number , I may not be able to offer you much advice to help you cope but you have my attention and ears to listen if you need to vent to someone anytime. Im only a phone call away. Your Friend , The Deetz.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/23 22:49:21 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of your situation. I hope everything all works out for you and your family/friend. It is tough times.

When life starts to get a little heavy, I look toward my good friends... I am lucky to have a couple left that are like brick walls. I can tell them anything and it goes no further. Plus they'll give it to me straight if I ask for advice. Even when I don't.

Sometimes when I need an escape, believe it or not, I often look towards these forums. There are a ton of interesting people on here. Reading their comments/busting balls often is a stress breaker for me.  Plus as proven by the responses above, there are very caring people who can help with great advice and support.

Hang in there buddy, be strong. If you ever need to talk... you have a ton of people on here who will listen and help.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/28 17:41:26 (permalink)
    Haven't been able to get on the site this past week or so. When I just signed on to post a few pics - although I cannot say I was surprized - I can say that it was great to see all the pm's of concern, thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much everyone - very much appreciated and I apologize for not answering them all. Your words meant alot to me. Mom, Sis, and my buddy from work continue with their struggles. Something I hope I was able to help them with the past several days....and nights.  Anyway - today I took off work and drove to the spring creeks in Carlisle. Had a great day and on the way home - I realized it wasn't about the escape - instead it was about just being by myself to think. We all have been there. So anyway - to Andy, Sis, and Mom - this day was about you.  

No fish to show for on my first stop- just good scenery. (By the way - this crick can wear ya down!!!)

Then drove to another one. Had some luck here. Lost four and landed one that had a blunt nose. The little rainbow had lots of native color but the nose made it looked like it was stocked. Not in this crick though.

John Gierach

Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/28 19:19:10 (permalink)
    Great photos and an excellant post with many good responses, and I will add that you and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/28 20:54:28 (permalink)
    Looks like a beautiful place to take that time to find some of the peace you seek,glad to see you got a little at least
    Hang in there it'll come to ya.
    My best to you and yours,
    ac
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Escaping 2010/05/29 12:09:50 (permalink)
    Really nice ppic's. Thanks for sharing and keep the faith.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Jump to: