Hatch Charts

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/14 08:56:17 (permalink)

Hatch Charts

I've been searching the interweb for a comprehensive PA hatch chart. I've been able to gather some info from this site and that site...just wondering if there is a site out there that covers them like the Meck book does. I fish Kinzua a lot, but like other streams, can't find a hatch chart for streams in that area (save for Caldwell, which is several miles in the wrong direction).

Does such a chart exist, or should I keep extrapolating from the nearest listed stream and compiling my "fly files?" Or should I just buy Mr. Meck's book?

Thanks, gentlemen.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

10 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 10:37:19 (permalink)
    I think picking up Meck's book is a good idea, but its still not absolutely needed. Our NW PA freestone streams don't have hatches as predictable, or as large, as the limestone streams of SC PA. The only hatch on Kinzua creek I've ever seen that needed a fairly exact immitation was the white fly hatch. I've caught more fish on the surface on Kinzua creek on size 12 brown bi-visibles than any other fly. Most of the time a size 18 adams or dun usual, and a size 14 cream usual will cover bases for Kinzua and Caldwell, and other streams in the area. Of course East Hickory and Caldwell have green drakes, which make fish picky, and when the brown drakes come off the river fish will key on those, but its still only a handful of days out of the year general patterns won't work.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 11:04:51 (permalink)
    I have Meck's book and though it does help some, it is not entirely accurate.
    I can help somewhat on Kinzua.
    Kinzua Creek has ( or at least had ) a good supply of tan caddis. The best caddis action is toward evening and fishes best on-top toward the end of May through early July. Elk hair caddis is a good fly to carry on this stream.
    Cahills should also be starting soon and that usually is the first good hatch that brings em up top. It used to have a decent March Brown hatch in May. I'm not sure if it is still a strong hatch, but several years ago I had a great drizzly day fishing that particular hatch.
    Yellow Drakes at evening starting late June and well into July.
    A lot of small stuff on this stream. If you can find some sippers in the slower pools you'll need a good assortment of tiny midges and BWO's.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 12:14:49 (permalink)
    You'll find any book that covers the entire state, will usually have a very general hatch chart for each creek and won't be as specific as your probably looking for.

Your best bet is to contact the local fly shops in the areas you want to fish, and get good local hatch chart from each.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 12:16:02 (permalink)
    You'll find any book that covers the entire state, will usually have a very general hatch chart for each creek and won't be as specific as your probably looking for.

Your best bet is to contact the local fly shops in the areas you want to fish, and get good local hatch chart from each.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 12:17:27 (permalink)
    drake: Problem there is that the closest fly shop to Kinzua creek is probably oil creek outfitters.

a half dozen hard bodied ants in size 20 and griffith's gnats in 20 will cover most of your small fly needs on Kinzua Creek.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 12:19:24 (permalink)
    post edited by thedrake - 2010/05/14 12:21:38
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/14 12:20:30 (permalink)
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/17 08:44:54 (permalink)
    Many many streams don't have documented hatch charts on the web. Each stream in an immediate area may be different. Sometimes the only way to get a chart is to go fish it & make yer own. Keep the date, more importantly the water temp, humidity, sunlight, etc.. Compile this with surrounding days of the actual weather & you'll be able to make an educated guess on what happening without being there. Picking up rocks to check out the nymphs can tell the story of what is or will be happening when your not there.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/17 08:53:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Many many streams don't have documented hatch charts on the web. Each stream in an immediate area may be different. Sometimes the only way to get a chart is to go fish it & make yer own. Keep the date, more importantly the water temp, humidity, sunlight, etc.. Compile this with surrounding days of the actual weather & you'll be able to make an educated guess on what happening without being there. Picking up rocks to check out the nymphs can tell the story of what is or will be happening when your not there.

"And then tie on a pair of generic nymphs and have at it.  Hatches don't matter if you dredge."

Sorry, that was way too easy.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Hatch Charts 2010/05/17 12:08:55 (permalink)
    http://www.djlflyfishers.org/hatches.htm

I use this... stop with the specific stream info... just be prepared with everything.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Jump to: