Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling?

Author
stinkfoot
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/11 15:42:11 (permalink)

Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling?

Hi Folks! First time poster here, hoping for some advice.

I'm looking to invest in a new rod/reel combo for trout trolling this year. Can anyone give some pointers on what I should be looking for? Recommendations?

I'm in California and fish the Sierras most of the time. I did some trolling for the first time last year and had some pretty good results, just using my lightweight spinning rod/reel combo. Thinking maybe I'd do better with a dedicated rig? Also, if this setup could double for lightweight salmon fishing, that'd be great.

BTW, someone recommended using lead core line. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

7 Replies Related Threads

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/11 16:32:42 (permalink)
    Need more information . What depths are you trolling , what lures , what is the average size trout , and we should be able to help you welcome .... DC
    stinkfoot
    New Angler
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/11 16:59:09 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for the reply! And glad to be here.

I think we figured that we were trolling at around 25 (maybe a bit more) feet when we had the best luck, using needlefish and a particular reddish Thomas Bouyant lure, Probably 1/4 oz. Using a 3 way swivel with a 1 oz weight.

As far as weight, definitely nothing over 5lbs, but lots of nice fish in 2-4 lb range.

Any recommendations on modifying that rig are welcome!

Thanks for the help!
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/11 18:06:23 (permalink)
    PM Sent
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/13 15:30:33 (permalink)
    If you plan on consistently hitting depths below 20 feet with accuracy .... Invest in precision Trolling big water edition . I use (diawa sealine) line counter reels with medium-heavy action rods that put you in the strike zone 100% of the time . It lists several options to hit the depths " jet divers will achieve depths to 50 feet and used with a planer board can cover a swath over 200 feet behing your boat ... Other options include weights as you use , copper line , lead core line , and are included in this book by Mark Romanack , Dr. Steven Holt ..... My application is for heavier fish but I'm certain you can find specific rods / reels for the lighter action needed for trout in you size range . If you buy inline planer boards I recommend the church tackle .

Other methods would include using spinning setups and marking the line at certain points to know how much line is out ( the only real method to know exactly where your lures are running . The precision trolling big water edition is a necessity for trolling worth it's weight in gold .... The advantage to using jet divers is they are not speed dependent ( speed is your most import aspect of trolling ) with weights the slower you go the deeper you run ; however with divers you will stay in the same range at variable speeds 1.5-3.0 MPH ....

Also you will find your line choice is important in consistency of trolling . The smaller the diameter the deeper depths you will achieve ; the heavier the diameter the higher resistance in the water will cause your lure to run higher in the water column . Good luck & Tight lines ..... DC
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/05/13 17:59:25
    Todd1126
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/13 18:03:22 (permalink)
    Hello and welcome. Ive done some trolling for trout before and have had a lot of luck with inline trolling sinkers. I ran my rig off of a 7'-8' medium lite bait casting rod with a small bait casting or level wind reel. I used 10lb fire line with a 6' leader of flouocarbon usually in 8lb test. The fire line will help eliminate the line belly or arc while your trolling thus reducing the delay in hook sets. I agree with the above posting about the trolling books, they will save you countless hours of trial and error. Good luck and again welcome.
    stinkfoot
    New Angler
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/13 19:44:00 (permalink)
    Awesome folks, thanks so much for the input.

The trolling book looks outstanding, I googled it and seems to be just what I need.

I've bounced back and forth between a dedicated trolling rig and a heavier spinning set up, and am now thinking I may just jump in with a trolling rod/line counting reel.

chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Recommend rod/reel combo for trout trolling? 2010/05/17 12:28:17 (permalink)
    I've had good luck with the Diawa counters too. If you can dedicate the reel to trolling, forget spinning reels.
    Jump to: