in-line board ?

Author
saltydog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 286
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/02 16:04:43 (permalink)

in-line board ?

Let's say I was trolling for eyes in 10th fow with boards. How far back off the board should I put my lure? Twenty, thirty, a hundred feet.
How far off the boat should I run them.

Thanks for your help, I have never trolled before.

4 Replies Related Threads

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: in-line board ? 2010/05/02 16:23:15 (permalink)
    All depends on the bait you're presenting. Think of it as trolling the bait from the boat as you're doing it now, but using a device to get it away from the boat.

In 10 FOW, guessing you're using some kind of crank bait, just put it as far back as you would if you were trolling from the boat itself.. Then attach the in line board and run more line out until its as far away from the boat as you want.

If you're new to trolling there's a book out there called Precision trolling. It has dive curves for most of the popular out there and is an invaluable tool, and it's available here at Fish erie..

http://www.fishusa.com/Precision-Trolling-Big-Water-2nd-Edition_p.html

They take a little while to get used to but they are a great tool to help you catch feeesh.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: in-line board ? 2010/05/02 19:29:54 (permalink)
    You need to invest in the book Blowchowski recommended . Actually there are two different if you plan on trolling 30 minus feet of water buy ( Precision Trolling )"the trollers bible " it discloses many lures depth capabilities when trolled instead of the divers needed to hit deeper depths .

If you plan on hitting depths below 40 FOW invest in precision trolling ( Big Water Edition ). It gives you depth data for dipsy divers , slide divers , jet divers ( most commonly used with planer boards ) , lead core line , mini disks ..... The author is Mark Romanack . FISHUSA offers the big water edition ; however you will have to hit the authors website for a copy of "the trollers bible " .

To anwser your question if you are trolling 10 FOW running 10 lb test mono your bagleys killer B should be 23 feet back on your line counter plus the line that is out of water so about 33 back .. Lure should be running at 7 feet down and remember Walleyes will swim up for a lure never down ...... Then set u'r boards ! Tight Lines ....... DC
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/05/02 19:39:48
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: in-line board ? 2010/05/03 10:28:09 (permalink)
    +1 on the Precision Trolling books. Worth every penny.
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: in-line board ? 2010/05/03 15:24:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: saltydog

Let's say I was trolling for eyes in 10th fow with boards. How far back off the board should I put my lure? Twenty, thirty, a hundred feet.
    How far off the boat should I run them.

Thanks for your help, I have never trolled before.

are you fishing erie? if yes, remember 10fow can change to 5fow real fast...
    we run shallow runnin plugs ( rapala,smithwicks,"whats a renowskis"etc...)
    about 15 to 20 behind boards works for us...
    Jump to: